PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT145 Problems

Bobert0989
03-17-12, 15:24
I'm having issues with my father's Taurus PT145 pistol, in the area of not feeding properly. It will fire two, sometimes three consecutive shots (all FMJ 230gr), and the next round will not chamber. It does this with both factory magazines, but my first intuition jumped to the magazine catch. The release spring feels tight, but the magazine has a little movement to it when loaded into the gun.

Is it worth me contacting Taurus to see if thay will fix it? I know it's not really a Teir-1 firearm, and it's a far-cry from the Sigs I tend to carry. But it is his personal preference, and I want it to function reasonably well.

Any of you have similar issues that HAVE BEEN RESOLVED?

Thanks

Bobby

maddawg5777
03-17-12, 16:30
You can send it back to Taurus but who knows if you'll see it before 2015 lol. Joking aside they do offer a lifetime warranty and usually take guns back for any reason. If you think it is a mag issue maybe try to procure another mag or 2 to try.

I know u said your father is near and dear to this firearm but maybe this can be evidence to him as why to buy something more in the quality department. Any way I wish you and your father luck in getting it fixed, nothing worse than a broke dick gun.

C4IGrant
03-17-12, 16:53
I'm having issues with my father's Taurus PT145 pistol, in the area of not feeding properly. It will fire two, sometimes three consecutive shots (all FMJ 230gr), and the next round will not chamber. It does this with both factory magazines, but my first intuition jumped to the magazine catch. The release spring feels tight, but the magazine has a little movement to it when loaded into the gun.

Is it worth me contacting Taurus to see if thay will fix it? I know it's not really a Teir-1 firearm, and it's a far-cry from the Sigs I tend to carry. But it is his personal preference, and I want it to function reasonably well.

Any of you have similar issues that HAVE BEEN RESOLVED?

Thanks

Bobby

I am not familiar with this gun, but my guess is that it has the same issues that a 1911 can have. So remove the slide from the frame and if the gun has a feed ramp, check to see if there are any marks BELOW the ramp. If no feed ramp, then look to see if the top of the hood (inside the barrel) is rough.

To quickly see if it feed ramp issue, shoot some hollow points in the gun. If it will shoot these then I know what your issue is.

C4

Shawn Wayne
03-18-12, 19:13
My PT145 had the exact same issue. My resolution involved selling the Taurus. This will probably be the least frustrating fix if it is an option for you.

Apricotshot
03-18-12, 20:09
The first handgun I ever bought was a PT145 Millenium Pro.

The first handgun I ever sold was a PT145 Millenium Pro.

The only part of the gun that isn't made of MIM parts is the barrel. Mine fed fine, but the sights were not the correct for the model from the FACTORY. So I shot 3 feet low at 7 yards. Come to find out the front sight was from some other model.

Sell it on Arfcom.

Bobert0989
03-19-12, 21:09
Well, to address the accuracy, I was holding off-hand groups of 3.5" with this gun, which is more than comparable to my 1911 shooting skills. To be a 3" barrel, I found it very satisfying to shoot at 21'... if only it would feed!

I'll try to get some hollow-points through it tomorrow afternoon, if I have time to visit the shop. Here is a picture of the barrel, as you asked for, Grant. This is the only abnormal wear I could find. The feed lip on the barrel looks smooth, no knicks or scrapes...

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p513/Bobert0989/barrel1.jpg

Thanks for all the help. I plan on taking it to the range tomorrow and try the other magazine I have for it, and shoot some hollow points as well.

If it just won't work, what is a comparable pistol to this configuration? He likes having a hammer, but this one has a manual safety which disengages the trigger and he is fine with that. It must be compact, similar to this, and he wants to stay in .45ACP. I tried pushing a Glock onto him, but he insists on having a safety on the firearm. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Bobby

Shawn Wayne
03-20-12, 14:13
An M&P45 compact would be an excellent replacement given his requirements. I have owned both the PT145 and the M&P45c, the M&P is the hands down superior handgun.

Bobert0989
03-21-12, 19:04
An M&P45 compact would be an excellent replacement given his requirements. I have owned both the PT145 and the M&P45c, the M&P is the hands down superior handgun.

I like them too, but they have no hammer nor any manual safety, or at least the ones I have looked at. Thats the same issues he has with the Glocks...

Any CZ or older Smith options to consider? I had considered a compact 1911 (though I shudder when I say those words together). The problems with these are the ones I find are out of his price range... If the Taurus would feed and function properly he would rather keep it...

Thanks again,

Bobby

Shawn Wayne
03-21-12, 19:49
I like them too, but they have no hammer nor any manual safety, or at least the ones I have looked at. Thats the same issues he has with the Glocks...

Any CZ or older Smith options to consider? I had considered a compact 1911 (though I shudder when I say those words together). The problems with these are the ones I find are out of his price range... If the Taurus would feed and function properly he would rather keep it...

Thanks again,

Bobby

They are available with ambidextrous thumb safeties.

Here is a picture of mine.

Notice the thumb safety. It is positioned much like a 1911 safety, and is much easier to manipulate than the safety on the PT145.

The M&P45c is cheaper than a compact 1911 and, with the thumb safety, has a very similar manual of arms.

Bobert0989
03-22-12, 16:26
That's the first I have seen with a thumb safety... Is that a particular variant I need to look for?

Thanks again!

~Bobby

They are available with ambidextrous thumb safeties.

Here is a picture of mine.

Notice the thumb safety. It is positioned much like a 1911 safety, and is much easier to manipulate than the safety on the PT145.

The M&P45c is cheaper than a compact 1911 and, with the thumb safety, has a very similar manual of arms.

Shawn Wayne
03-22-12, 16:34
All the 45 cal M&P's have a thumb safety as an option. Should not be hard to find.