PDA

View Full Version : anybody using russian optics on their AR?

skyugo
12-30-07, 13:12
Kobra or a PO style scope like this one http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=515

the price is right.

they seem rugged.

i know it's not really a "combat" scope like an ACOG or something, but i haven't got 500 bucks+ to spend on optics at the moment. :)

is it gonna lose zero or fog up or any funny crap like that?

Jay Cunningham
12-30-07, 13:28
Save your pennies.

Buy cheap buy twice.

Have you actually looked at what Aimpoint M2 series optics are going for these days? You can get a pretty good deal on one of these if you keep your eyes open.

skyugo
12-30-07, 13:35
Save your pennies.

Buy cheap buy twice.

Have you actually looked at what Aimpoint M2 series optics are going for these days? You can get a pretty good deal on one of these if you keep your eyes open.

hmm i see.

i'm actually thinking i'd like a scope with magnification. the aimpoint i'm assuming is a holographic sight.

i've used the kobra on an AK74 and i was pretty impressed with it. granted it's probably the only red dot sight i've ever used. :o

can the aimpoint be used in a cowitness setup?

Jay Cunningham
12-30-07, 13:41
hmm i see.

i'm actually thinking i'd like a scope with magnification. the aimpoint i'm assuming is a holographic sight.

i've used the kobra on an AK74 and i was pretty impressed with it. granted it's probably the only red dot sight i've ever used. :o

can the aimpoint be used in a cowitness setup?

The Aimpoint is in fact a 1x parallax-free optic (though they can be had in magnified versions.) They are commonly mounted in such a way as to make the iron sights co-witness with the optic.

SuicideHz
12-30-07, 14:27
Co-witness on an AK? I've only seen Edwin and his friend get them to lower 1/3 cowitness. I think I found the mount they used.

I wouldn't mind having an authentic Russian scope but Templar told me they are no better quality than early 80s Bushnell scopes.

Jay Cunningham
12-30-07, 14:34
Co-witness on an AK? I've only seen Edwin and his friend get them to lower 1/3 cowitness. I think I found the mount they used.

I wouldn't mind having an authentic Russian scope but Templar told me they are no better quality than early 80s Bushnell scopes.

The title of the thread is:

anybody using russian optics on their AR?

SuicideHz
12-30-07, 15:04
ETA: Oh, AR? Wow...

Lumpy196
12-30-07, 17:35
i've used the kobra on an AK74 and i was pretty impressed with it.

What part of the the total suck that is that optic impressed you?

TOrrock
12-30-07, 18:04
Remember guys, he's only used a Kobra and hasn't had any exposure to anything else, which is why he's asking. He's also new to the AR platform, and is looking for info.

Sky, you're always better off waiting a bit until you can afford a high quality optic rather than throw money at something less expensive only to have to spend the money on the better optic later.

skyugo
12-30-07, 23:55
Remember guys, he's only used a Kobra and hasn't had any exposure to anything else, which is why he's asking. He's also new to the AR platform, and is looking for info.

Sky, you're always better off waiting a bit until you can afford a high quality optic rather than throw money at something less expensive only to have to spend the money on the better optic later.

thanks man. it's like goin from pickup trucks to ferraris here. :p

Don Robison
12-31-07, 00:04
Not on my AR, but I do have a PK-01 on one of my AK's. It washes out on a moderately sunny day. I know a few guys who swear by the Kobra. It's decent, but not in the same league as Aimpoint. Personally I'd save the cash for an Aimpoint if I were you.

skyugo
12-31-07, 13:47
any consensus on a decent 4x scope? no red dot, nothing fancy.

maybe a 3-9.

TOrrock
12-31-07, 15:52
It all depends on what you want to do with it. A magnified optic is great for bench rest shooting, but anything dynamic and it will SUCK, unless you get a low powered set up, something like a 1.5-6x.

skyugo
12-31-07, 17:15
It all depends on what you want to do with it. A magnified optic is great for bench rest shooting, but anything dynamic and it will SUCK, unless you get a low powered set up, something like a 1.5-6x.

i'm basically talking bench rest. or some offhand range use. i'm pretty committed to trying to master the irons, but i'd like a scope as well for some fun plinking and stuff.

i just can't justify any of the higher end combat sights for current situation. hell i honestly don't believe in batteries for a SHTF situation.

1.5-6x would be a nice range though. if i dropped like 150 or something on a bushnell or similar scope would that hold up ok?

TOrrock
12-31-07, 17:25
It should hold up fine for range use.

I wouldn't go below a Bushnell 3200 series, or a Nikon ProStaff.

If you go with an Aimpoint M2, M3, or M4, the batteries last YEARS, even with the optic left on.

i'm basically talking bench rest. or some offhand range use. i'm pretty committed to trying to master the irons, but i'd like a scope as well for some fun plinking and stuff.

i just can't justify any of the higher end combat sights for current situation. hell i honestly don't believe in batteries for a SHTF situation.

1.5-6x would be a nice range though. if i dropped like 150 or something on a bushnell or similar scope would that hold up ok?

skyugo
12-31-07, 17:42
It should hold up fine for range use.

I wouldn't go below a Bushnell 3200 series, or a Nikon ProStaff.

If you go with an Aimpoint M2, M3, or M4, the batteries last YEARS, even with the optic left on.

thanks man. i guess i coulda just asked on akforum. ;)

beantamug
01-06-08, 22:46
I have the AA battery version of the kobra on an AK47. I really like the sight. I have had no problems with it and my AK is much more fun to shoot now, especially since scoring hits on targets is alot easier. I use mine for range shooting and hunting.

I have looked through the high end optics, EO Techs, Aimpoints, ACOGS, and they are nicer. The ACOG is definitely more durable than a Kobra, too. Those high end optics have sharper and clearer glass, too.

The Kobra is also heavier than those optics, even in the weaver rail version. I like my Kobra on my AK, but I'm not sure I would run it on an AR.

If you want a cheaper option on an AR, check out the C More sights www.cmore.com , the Burris Speed Dot http://www.burrisoptics.com/tactical2.html , or the SPOT aimpoint-like sight.

I currently really want an ACOG or a high end 1-4 variable scope with illumination for my AR15, which simply has flip up iron sights right now. But I will most likely go with that Burris Speed Dot. I have 2 Burris variables on some hunting rifles, and they are great scopes for the money, in my experiences. Plus they are American made and have good warranties.

boltcatch
01-27-08, 20:05
If you're looking for a red dot type, you can score used Aimpoint M2's for about $300. I'd much rather spend that than half as much for a non-Aimpoint/Eotech.