PDA

View Full Version : Can we amend the rules in the "Custom Build Forum"?

rob_s
03-18-12, 04:20
rules are posted here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82447)

To all concerned.

The custom build area is a place to show off and or ask questions about your custom build. If you are going to post pictures of your build, please post a complete picture not just your parts, partial lowers, etc....

Also, buying an upper separate and then a lower and throwing them together does not constitute a custom build. It would also be nice if you took time to explain how you came to your decision and explain your set up. Thanks.

I think, first of all, that the "it would be nice if you took the time to..." should be amended to "you must take the time to...".

Secondly, I think there should be a requirement that you actually have some rounds downrange with the gun if you're going to post about it. I don't think I'm alone in that I don't care about your list of parts and vanity photo if you haven't gotten out and tested your theory. Or, if it's a "critique my build" thread it should be a requirement that the poster include their prior experience with the AR FOW as well as WHY they chose the parts in their list that we are supposed to critique.

Finally, I'd suggest a link to the photo thread for those that simply want to post their vanity picture because they are so proud of they new hotness. If all you're going to do is post a picture and a list of parts it strikes me that the photo thread is far more appropriate.

Yes, I'm aware that many people won't read the rules and will post their vanity thread anyway but this way at least the rules would be clear when the post gets moved or the thread is locked.

eternal24k
03-18-12, 07:51
I agree, but honestly, I often wonder why there is any "custom build" forum anyways, being that AR's are like legos, I rarely see anything custom or unique. I think a building or troublshooting forum would have more use.

DeltaSierra
03-18-12, 10:06
I think Rob is onto something here...

SteadyUp
03-18-12, 11:41
Modification of the rules for posting in the custom build section would be a good start. As rob_s said, requiring a range report, and why the particular gun was built (even if it was a simple, "because I wanted one") would (hopefully) help cut down the on the number of threads that are only a parts list and a picture.

I realize people are excited about their new build, but there are other sites (AR15.com) that would be better suited for posting pictures and parts lists.

For me personally, the number "list & picture" threads in the C.B. subforum has made me largely ignore it, which isn't fair to the person who does actually post a good thread in here.