PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so I'm getting a Colt...

LoTech1138
03-18-12, 08:50
Let me start out by saying that I have never owned an AR style rifle. I am an ex SASS shooter and have always traded in single action revolvers and lever action rifle, plus the occasional coach shotgun. This is brand new to me, forgive my ignorance on some things.

After a couple weeks of research on this site, numerous other searches online and trips to vendor sites, I have decided to purchase a Colt M4. The local Helmart has an unbeatable price and I can't justify paying more for the same rifle anywhere else. Correct me if I'm wrong, the Colt will be an excellent all-around weapon, hunting, target shooting and when the SHTF I can protect my family from mutant zombie bikers.

My question to everyone, after I buy the rifle and zero it in what else needs to be done to it? Nuts tightened, staking, naked fire dancing, sacrifice to the gods? I appreciate all comments and information.

Thanks

emt370
03-18-12, 08:55
Your decision to purchase a Colt should have been made to avoid having to do anything to make it a reliable weapon. Buy a bunch of ammo and shoot it extensively and get some training classes to go along with it.

philipeggo
03-18-12, 08:55
shoot and enjoy it, a lot .

LoTech1138
03-18-12, 09:01
Your decision to purchase a Colt should have been made to avoid having to do anything to make it a reliable weapon. Buy a bunch of ammo and shoot it extensively and get some training classes to go along with it.
This is what I have been reading, but being totally new to this style of weapon I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks for the comment.

LoTech1138
03-18-12, 09:03
shoot and enjoy it, a lot .
That's the plan!

djmorris
03-18-12, 09:09
Your Colt won't need anything, really. Everything should already be properly staked, etc. If anything, get yourself a quality sling. I just bought the Vickers Sling from botachtactical.com for $40 with free shipping. I know some people don't like Botach but you can't beat that price for one of the best slings available, and shipping was fast/free.

Otherwise, get some Pmags and lots of ammo; preferably NATO spec 5.56.... If you truly have some extra money to put into it then I'd consider taking a carbine course. After some range time and a class, I don't think you'll be asking this question because you'll already have a pretty good idea of what's going to work for you.

chamber143
03-18-12, 09:36
Great rifle. I echo a good sling, lots of mags (good gi's or my preference pmags. If obummer gets reelected I worry about aw ban again and no mags available. Plenty of ammo, shoot decent stuff though. Good 5.56 is the way to go. and everything else will be for preference or fit not function. Great choice and congrats on the rifle

SpankMonkey
03-18-12, 09:46
Good choice. There are several items you can buy.

Mags at least 20 but 40 is better.
Cleaning kit.
Good two point sling.
Red dot sight plus a mount.
Ammo and most important is training.

LoTech1138
03-18-12, 10:15
Great rifle. I echo a good sling, lots of mags (good gi's or my preference pmags. If obummer gets reelected I worry about aw ban again and no mags available. Plenty of ammo, shoot decent stuff though. Good 5.56 is the way to go. and everything else will be for preference or fit not function. Great choice and congrats on the rifle

Good choice. There are several items you can buy.

Mags at least 20 but 40 is better.
Cleaning kit.
Good two point sling.
Red dot sight plus a mount.
Ammo and most important is training.

Thanks for the comments. I am planning to buy as many mags as possible, reading good things about Pmags. Also looking at a new guard with rails as the the LE6920 has none. Is Magpul good stuff? Eventually I would like to remove the carry handle and install a good back sight. I'm checking into available training in my area. What costs can I expect for training?

Thanks to all for taking time to help me out!

chamber143
03-18-12, 10:23
Most magpul stuff is vErY nice. I don't like the mbus or the ASAP or a few other things. But the handguards are very sturdy the miad grip is great and there ctr stocks are solid. As far as training it depends it can run from a couple hundred to close to a grand. It all depends on the class. But I recommend training over all other things. Its the only thing that will make you a better shooter. Have fun and be safe

warpigM-4
03-18-12, 10:27
Classes can be up there when you include room ,travel ,at least a case of ammo .
but start a fund Money in a jar :D
Magpul makes some great products ,I would shot it as it for know get to know your weapon .
and as others said Mags Buy mags ,with a election right around the corner Buy now before it gets too crazy like in 08.

But most of all welcome to the site, enjoy your weapon read,train and be safe and keep that brass flying!!

SeriousStudent
03-18-12, 10:58
Good news. Since you are in North Carolina, you have local access to some excellent training resouces.

http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-regional-endorsed-instructors/

http://www.defensiveconceptsnc.com/

Since you were a SASS shooter, imagine having Evil Roy or Jasmine Jesse available nearby.

Quality mags, good ammo, and lots of reading are a good thing as well. Welcome aboard, and have fun.

polymorpheous
03-18-12, 11:19
OP:
Use the orange search button on the top right hand corner of your screen.
You can answer most of your own questions that way.

I recommend against a railed handguard.
Do you want it for a reason or just to have it?
Put that money towards magazines and ammo.
Get familiar with the STOCK rifle before you spend money on aftermarket accessories.
A $300 railed handguard is an expensive mistake if it doesn't work for you.

If it is intended for defensive purposes, most consider a bright white light, sling and a quality red dot sight to be minimum.

chamber143
03-18-12, 11:22
OP:
Use the orange search button on the top right hand corner of your screen.
You can answer most of your own questions that way.

I recommend against a railed handguard.
Do you want it for a reason or just to have it?
Put that money towards magazines and ammo.
Get familiar with the STOCK rifle before you spend money on aftermarket accessories.
A $300 railed handguard is an expensive mistake if it doesn't work for you.

If it is intended for defensive purposes, most consider a bright white light, sling and a quality red dot sight to be minimum.

I have to agree. My first ar I put quad rail on it and now I never shoot it. The cheaper midlength handguard from magpul is great and cost affective.

polymorpheous
03-18-12, 11:27
The cheaper midlength handguard from magpul is great and cost affective.

Colt does not make a mid-length gas system.

chamber143
03-18-12, 11:30
Colt does not make a mid-length gas system.

And this I know. I am speaking about my choice. They do make a carbine one which I find to be a cheap upgraded part that makes a difference to me

polymorpheous
03-18-12, 11:34
And this I know. I am speaking about my choice. They do make a carbine one which I find to be a cheap upgraded part that makes a difference to me

Right.

But this thread isn't about what works for you.

The OP is admittedly out of his lane.
A recommendation of a midlength MOE handguard in a thread about a rifle with a carbine length gas system will only serve to confuse the OP.

chamber143
03-18-12, 11:42
Not sure that your self perceived superiority is helpful either. If my post was misunderstood than my bad to the op. if I'm not mistaking this sight is all about what has worked for others, hence forum.

polymorpheous
03-18-12, 11:52
Not sure that your self perceived superiority is helpful either. If my post was misunderstood than my bad to the op. if I'm not mistaking this sight is all about what has worked for others, hence forum.

Personal attacks make you look silly.
I suggest you desist.
If you can't handle a blunt, straight forward response then perhaps this forum is a not a good option for you.

You need to take a step back from yourself and read this thread like you know absolutely nothing about the AR15.
Then post accordingly.
If the mid-length MOE works for you, drive on.
It will not work for the OP.
If he were to run out and buy a mid-length MOE based on your post, he would have been ill advised.

This isn't about ego, it is about helping a new AR15 owner.

justin_247
03-18-12, 11:57
Thanks for the comments. I am planning to buy as many mags as possible, reading good things about Pmags. Also looking at a new guard with rails as the the LE6920 has none. Is Magpul good stuff? Eventually I would like to remove the carry handle and install a good back sight. I'm checking into available training in my area. What costs can I expect for training?

Just get a Magpul MOE handguard, and then add a QD sling attach point from IWS. Then attach a Surefire flashlight to it using a MOE light kit from Magpul.

For a sling, purchase a Vickers or Viking Tactics two-point sling.

For a back-up iron sight, just cut down the carry handle so there's nothing left but the sight and the rearmost portion of the rail tightening screw.

Then buy an Aimpoint PRO, and a ton of ammo and mags.

There's not much your rifle won't be able to do after all of that.

DeltaSierra
03-18-12, 11:58

You are out of your depth - you were wrong, so now just admit it, and move on without turning this thread into more of a train wreck than it already is...

This thread isn't about you, or your choices. No one cares about your choices if they are not pertinent to the direction of this particular thread.

chamber143
03-18-12, 12:01
I understand what you are saying and see how it could have been or was misinterpreted. My response is strictly due to the smart assed comment of "RIGHT", when regarding colts. You don't have to be on here long to know that they don't make a mid length. This isn't about me or you so this the last response i will make about this... so you win, you are right, I was wrong, leave it that

SteadyUp
03-18-12, 12:10

As others have said, a search on the AR General Discussion subforum will lead to lots of information. That said, until you become truly familiar with the gun (like shooting 1000+ rounds through it), I wouldn't make any modifications, except for purchasing a sling, buying good magazines, and maybe buying a good white light for the gun (Surefire or Streamlight are two well know names).

As far as rear sights go, the sight in the carry handle is excellent if you're going to shoot an iron sights only gun. If you are considering a red dot sight (such as Aimpoint or EOTech--anything of lesser quality is a waste of money), then most people would install a BUIS (back-up iron sight) on the rear of their gun. Common names are Troy, Daniel Defense, KAC, LaRue, Magpul.

As you can see, you're really, truly better shooting it as is for at least the first 1000 rounds. You can see that something as simple as removing the carry handle, and adding a BUIS, you have to consider 5+ vendors, and at least 20+ models of sights. Until you really know what you NEED from the gun, you're taking a shot in the dark whether or not you're buying the correct accessory for you.

In short, buy a case of decent ammo, get some magazines (5 would be a good start, these are excellent: NHMTG Mag w/ Magpul Follower (http://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_magazine_magpul_follower/nhmtg)), a sling (look at this (http://www.blueforcegear.com/products/Victory-Two%252dPoint-Sling%E2%84%A2.html) or this (http://www.vikingtactics.com/slings_wide.html)), and enjoy your AR!

LoTech1138
03-18-12, 12:55
Wow!!! Hats off to you guys for your enthusiasm and willingness to help a noob. I very much appreiciate all the usefull information provided. So, I'm off to Helmart to drop $1200. I'm sure I'll need to ask more questions, and I won't forget to use the search button first.

Clem
03-18-12, 13:44
You could get it for under $1000 from Grant. He's one of the site sponsors. gandrtactical.com

chamber143
03-18-12, 13:46
You could get it for under $1000 from Grant. He's one of the site sponsors. gandrtactical.com

I thought the same thing and checked but he's out right now.

Clem
03-18-12, 13:51
Well if you're not in a rush saving 200 is nice and can get you some more accessories when the time comes.:dance3:

ucrt
03-18-12, 14:04

Here's a video from one of our members to turn the Carry Handle into a good rear sight.

Surf's Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTZHEZk2uxQ)

BTW, wanting to add a quad rail before you even have the gun is an "internet influenced newb tacticool side-effect of getting an AR".
Just resist "that urge", at least until you get a few thousand rounds through the gun.
Other than ammo, I would not get anything for your gun other than what was suggested above:
- Sling
- Light
- Mags

Have fun.

chamber143
03-18-12, 14:09
I concur...if its not a long lead time(don't know but I'd ask grant), I'd buy from him. I've dropped my hard earned money with him and would do it again in a heart beat. Walmart already gets enough of my money, I won't support them when it comes to fire arms. They are not happy bout selling firearms or ammo but they know there is a lot of money in it and they would sell their soul for a buck. Support site sponsors if at all possible...but I know waiting sucks and it is your money

duece71
03-18-12, 14:34
Put a 1000 rounds through it.......ALL in one range session :D
Don't clean it, don't change anything. Now, go out an put another 1000 rounds through it (or more) at a class or organized range session. Enjoy.

DeltaSierra
03-18-12, 15:00
I concur... ...if its not a long lead time(don't know but I'd ask grant)...

...support site sponsors if at all possible...

Personally, I can't stand Mal-Wart, and I wouldn't buy a weapon from them if they were the last place on earth....

Save the $200 and pick one up from Grant...

Bob Reed
03-18-12, 15:07
I am planning to buy as many mags as possible, reading good things about Pmags.
Hello,

You'll be better off sticking with Genuine COLT Factory Magazines and the 20-Rd. COLT Magazines are simply Superb and their easier to store, transport & carry due to their compact-size. So it'd be a good idea to have at least one shoe box full of the 20s.

The 30-Rd. COLT Factory Magazines are also Superb - and their higher quality than any of the aftermarket mags, including the plastic ones.

You can however improve upon the already-reliable COLT Factory 30-Rd. Magazines by installing Ken Elmore's Famous "Red Spring" http://www.specializedarmament.com/content/skins/flat/popup_issue_96.html

You can purchase the Extreme-Duty Red Springs and Red Spring Equipped COLT Magazines via. this link http://www.specializedarmament.com/catalog/AR_15_Parts-4-0.html

BTW: Here's an old thread regarding magazines - and it'd really be worth your while to read the first fifteen pages or so. http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81074

Iraqgunz
03-18-12, 15:10
Unless you have an absolute dire need (which I don't think you do) I would contact Grant at GandR and ask about availability. You will probably save at least 200, if not more.

Wow!!! Hats off to you guys for your enthusiasm and willingness to help a noob. I very much appreiciate all the usefull information provided. So, I'm off to Helmart to drop $1200. I'm sure I'll need to ask more questions, and I won't forget to use the search button first.

austinN4
03-18-12, 15:39
I thought the same thing and checked but he's out right now.
For a $235 difference, I would probably ask him when he expects to get some in. If you can wait, fine. If not, another option is GT Distributors at $995: http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920

$1,200 at Walmart would be my last option, but that is me. If you have to have it in your hands today, go for it.

Edited to add: It is actually more than $235 difference, Walmart to G&R, as you will be paying sales tax at Walmart. So you are really looking at something like $300 difference.

Plato
03-18-12, 15:46
A quality RDS is hard to beat these days. An Aimpoint PRO or T1 makes an AR so much more enjoyable and quicker to shoot with one. Never a NEED, but I personally could never live without a T1 on an AR again.

MistWolf
03-18-12, 16:59
I realize that as a SASS shooter, you are experienced, but I'll give my thoughts to this question in case a total noobie is checking in on this thread.

...after I buy the rifle... what else needs to be done to it?...

After buying the rifle and before anything else is done to it, the rifle needs to be cleaned and inspected.

All preservatives, if any, need to be removed from your new weapon. Pay particular attention to the bore and chamber. Firing it with preservative left in the barrel can cause damage, from a simple bulge all the way up to catastrophic failure. I once ruined the chamber of a rare barrel because I failed to closely inspect it before shooting. Make sure the FCG group and the BCG is cleaned of preservatives.

Give the rifle a thorough visual inspection. Colt makes an excellent AR but check to make sure nothing was overlooked. Make sure the gas key screws are properly staked. Check the castle nut. remove the upper from the lower, grab the front sight block and receiver in your hands and give it a twist and see if there is movement. Check inside the barrel extension for debris. Soak the BCG in lube. Re-assemble the rifle and check for function. Make sure the safety, trigger, bolt hold open and magazine release works. Use a toothpick or something similar to apply heavy grease to the trigger & hammer sears.

There is a sticky at the top of one of the sub-forums that details how to inspect your rifle. I suggest reading it.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your choice. Clean as needed keep the BCG well lubed and your new rifle will give you good service. Buy ammo, shoot, rinse and repeat.

I have the plastic Magpul rear folding BUIS. It's ok, but it's easy to over torque it on installation and distort it. Mine isn't very consistent

Casull
03-18-12, 21:59
Just get a Magpul MOE handguard, and then add a QD sling attach point from IWS. Then attach a Surefire flashlight to it using a MOE light kit from Magpul.

For a sling, purchase a Vickers or Viking Tactics two-point sling.

For a back-up iron sight, just cut down the carry handle so there's nothing left but the sight and the rearmost portion of the rail tightening screw.

Then buy an Aimpoint PRO, and a ton of ammo and mags.

There's not much your rifle won't be able to do after all of that.

Very gtg base setup to work with. It even is a favorite of experienced folks. Great suggestions.

CobraBG
03-19-12, 10:11
Great choice. Just enjoy shooting it and make sure it's put away before the naked fire dancing.

rob_s
03-19-12, 10:38
Colt 6920 or 6720
11 Magazines (Pmags are fine)
Sling (optional, truthfully, but the BFG Vickers sling is a good starting point, or you can use the Boonie Packer 2-point adjustable for half the price)
2k rounds of brass-cased ammo (XM193 is fine)
Training (expect to pay $150-$200/day for a quality instructor)
Practice
Compete
Repeat 4-7 as needed
Light (Surefire)
Low-light training

You are already working on #1 so you're good there.

At any point in there between 4 and 10 you can pick up a red dot sight. Aimpoint or Eotech, nothing else.

You may also wish to add load carriage. Start small/simple with a single magazine pouch on your belt, maybe two at most. If a course you are signing up for requires more than that, it's not a good starter course. Build your load carriage from there.

As to other accessories such as grips, stocks, handguards, etc. go shoot the gun and identify shortcomings that affect YOU and your type and level of shooting. There is no sense jumping on the bandwagon with anything right now, just shoot your gun until you exceed it's abilities. You will also feel a very strong sense of gratification when you attend a class or match and you take you stock colt 6920 and Aimpoint, along with your training and practice, and beat the snot out of some internet-picture-poster with all the latest ninja gear to include brakes and fancy triggers.

polymorpheous
03-19-12, 10:54
As to other accessories such as grips, stocks, handguards, etc. go shoot the gun and identify shortcomings that affect YOU and your type and level of shooting. There is no sense jumping on the bandwagon with anything right now, just shoot your gun until you exceed it's abilities. You will also feel a very strong sense of gratification when you attend a class or match and you take you stock colt 6920 and Aimpoint, along with your training and practice, and beat the snot out of some internet-picture-poster with all the latest ninja gear to include brakes and fancy triggers.

Thank you!

duece71
03-19-12, 12:21
Colt 6920 or 6720
11 Magazines (Pmags are fine)
Sling (optional, truthfully, but the BFG Vickers sling is a good starting point, or you can use the Boonie Packer 2-point adjustable for half the price)
2k rounds of brass-cased ammo (XM193 is fine)
Training (expect to pay $150-$200/day for a quality instructor)
Practice
Compete
Repeat 4-7 as needed
Light (Surefire)
Low-light training

You are already working on #1 so you're good there.

At any point in there between 4 and 10 you can pick up a red dot sight. Aimpoint or Eotech, nothing else.

You may also wish to add load carriage. Start small/simple with a single magazine pouch on your belt, maybe two at most. If a course you are signing up for requires more than that, it's not a good starter course. Build your load carriage from there.

AHmen to that!

45auto
03-19-12, 16:51
.....Save the $200 and pick one up from Grant...
+1 Support the site sponsors. They are good guys to deal with. :dance3: