PDA

View Full Version : Prvi-Partizan Extract Problems

DevilPup89
03-18-12, 13:40
I was shooting Tula at the range and didnt have any problems, switched to PP and it didnt extract once, does anyone have a fimilar expirence? Thanks! SemperFi

TangoSauce
03-18-12, 13:57
No issues with PVRI myself.

.223 or .308 for reference?

fixit69
03-18-12, 13:59
Need a little more info. Rifle, bcg, etc... All you can give.

Personally I've shoot 3000 rounds 2 years ago and had only mag related stoppages. 62 grain hpbt and it shot fairly well.

I would have bought more, but I got a hell of a deal on... Take a guess...

Tula.

By the way. Did you use the old "wolf" lacquer shit ammo and then the brass case? It will make brass stick in the chamber and not extract.

DevilPup89
03-18-12, 14:09
I have a complete DPMS AR with a trijicon acog using standard mags i got from a store on base. I was only using Tula .223 before the PP, weapon was lubed and clean, gas rings were good ect, other than exterior addons all weapon parts are stock from DPMS. Hope that helped, Thanks!

Iraqgunz
03-18-12, 14:10
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=85863

DevilPup89
03-18-12, 14:11
Woops forgot to say yes its steel casing but runs great for me just dirty!

Iraqgunz
03-18-12, 14:12
DPMS is known for tight chambers. You will discover this when you use the search feature. PPU ammo is loaded pretty hot so you will more than likely experience this with all 5.56 ammo.

I have a complete DPMS AR with a trijicon acog using standard mags i got from a store on base. I was only using Tula .223 before the PP, weapon was lubed and clean, gas rings were good ect, other than exterior addons all weapon parts are stock from DPMS. Hope that helped, Thanks!

DevilPup89
03-18-12, 14:14
I think iraqgunz was basically saying i shouldnt ask about ammo problems? My bad!

fixit69
03-18-12, 14:16
What IG is informing you on, check it. It will help you and he definately knows his shit.

But I'll bet you a dollar to a donut it the cursed object firing the rounds, not the ammo itself.

DevilPup89
03-18-12, 14:19
Oh im sure he knows alot i dont wanna get kicked for asking the wrong questions! So basically the way its chambered makes it kind of picky?

Failure2Stop
03-18-12, 14:45
1- As IG said, DPMS chambers are closer to SAAMI .223 chambers than 5.56 NATO chambers. Functionally this meant that there is less leeway in the throat. With that in mind...

2- Tula/Wolf/etc steel cased ammo tends to leave more carbon/crud in the chamber/throat.

3- High pressure 5.56 will cause the case mouth the seal more tighty throat/leade than standard pressure SAAMI rounds.

Combine the three, and hard extraction is a common issue.

fixit69
03-18-12, 14:47
Keep reading... Use the search button... Your questions will usually answer theirselves.

ETA: I just read where you said"on base". Really, really read around here and search everything you can.
And when one of the no bullshit people here tell you something listen.

DevilPup89
03-18-12, 14:58
Whats wrong with getting something from where im stationed at?

fixit69
03-18-12, 15:06
Nothing is wrong about buying on base. Just be an informed consumer when your putting your hard earned money on any product.

And there is a metric shit ton of info on this sight that can help you make a choice you won't regret later.

DevilPup89
03-18-12, 15:08
Noted.thanks bud! What do you think of magpul butt stocks/ pistol grips? Thats my final addition

fixit69
03-18-12, 15:18
Again, do your homework, and get you hands on some as many as you can. A lot of people trip when you bring "feel" into any subjective discussion becase it differs from person to person. I have imod, sopmod, acs, str, and just sold my ctr. Which is my favorite? Don't know. They all have their uses and all are fairly well rounded

As far as grips I still like my tango down and miad. I'm partial to the miad becase of the adaptability. Both would serve you well.

Iraqgunz
03-18-12, 15:30
Before you go buying more shit to decorate your rifle, I suggest that you look into solving your problem first.

Noted.thanks bud! What do you think of magpul butt stocks/ pistol grips? Thats my final addition

DevilPup89
03-18-12, 15:38
Its the ammo...didnt know it would be such a sensitive subject

Failure2Stop
03-18-12, 15:48

It's a combination of chamber and ammo, as well as the sequence of ammo use.
It isn't a sensitive subject, people were just looking for more clarification so they could help.

DevilPup89
03-18-12, 16:38
Thanks for the help!

sdacbob
03-18-12, 18:28
Never shoot brass cased ammo after steel cased without cleaning the chamber first !!!!!

Clint
03-18-12, 19:17
1- As IG said, DPMS chambers are closer to SAAMI .223 chambers than 5.56 NATO chambers. Functionally this meant that there is less leeway in the throat. With that in mind...

2- Tula/Wolf/etc steel cased ammo tends to leave more carbon/crud in the chamber/throat.

3- High pressure 5.56 will cause the case mouth the seal more tighty throat/leade than standard pressure SAAMI rounds.

Combine the three, and hard extraction is a common issue.

It's a combination of chamber and ammo, as well as the sequence of ammo use.
It isn't a sensitive subject, people were just looking for more clarification so they could help.

OP, nobody here has a crystal ball.

Any advise or help found here depends directly on how much info you, the person seeking help, provide.

That said,
The most likely scenario is what F2S described.

i.e. Thin neck, steel case, low pressure 223 ammo cruds up the already tight chamber.
Subsequent full neck thickness, high pressure, 5.56 brass ammo then gets stuck.

Try the brass case ammo after a good chamber cleaning to determine if the weapon will even work with full pressure 5.56

Battle*Hound
03-20-12, 16:56
I shoot alot of PRVI. I almost prefer it due to consitency and price. OP, unfortunately I think this and other possible future problems are going to stem from the hardware itself. Good Luck

SMETNA
03-20-12, 18:08
no issues with PPU here either. (M855)

TehLlama
03-21-12, 00:13

Just because a rifle doesn't cycle doesn't mean it's the ammo that' suspect - the link he posted at first outlined that it's a known issue among DPMS units that tight chambers can cause them to choke when fed higher pressure ammunition.

In this case, fixing the part that is out of the desired spec - the rifle's chamber - should probably be the focus.

Worrying about the stock is a bit like concerning yourself with the paint color on a car that won't start. It matters when you look at it, but something far more pressing is going on when you actually need to use it. I adore my magpul stocks and pistol grips (all 17 of them), but it's more useful to have a gun that runs right now.

ridgerunner70
04-17-12, 19:10
Just letting you know I have a DPMS. Casings was slamming into my upper and putting dents in my casings. Iraqgunz said DPMS is known for being over gassed and need to get my chamber reamed and go to a H2 buffer.SITREP- Problem solved:)

fdxpilot
04-18-12, 16:47

You say your weapon was lubed and clean. Was this before the range trip, or was it after shooting Tula, but before shooting PP? If not between the two types of ammo, that may be the cause of your problem.

If you shoot Tula, which is both dirty and steel cased, lots of residue will build up in the chamber, as the steel case does not expand as well as brass, leaving space for gunk to build up. If you then shoot brass cased ammo with out a thorough cleaning, the expanding brass will tend to stick in the dirty chamber. This problem is aggravated by a weapon with a tight chamber, which as IraqGunz noted, your DPMS has.

Try cleaning it well, leave the Tula home, and just shoot the Privi. Hopefully, your problem will disappear.

If the problem is solved, you know you have to clean thoroughly after shooting Tula.