PDA

View Full Version : I SHOT THE GUN, now have stock question

themighty9mm
03-18-12, 14:36
I have a pair of 6920's. One is the shooter the other is just hanging out until I have the first completed to just about perfection. I have fired a few thousand rounds through it bare bones stock to figure out what if anything need done. As one poster mentioned I also see way to many people do things long before they shoot their new toy.

I knew from the get go I would wind up getting a light as I'm wanting this primarily for HD. I knew I was not a fan of the FSP mounting solutions. So I got a KAC RAS rail with the intention of only mounting a light. I have a LMT rear sight coming my way as I eventually want a optic, but dont want to lose the A2 durability or adjustments. Finding the A2 pistolgrip a bit small, I have on order a magpul moe to replace it. Seems to have a little more girth and should get me closer to the pistol I normally shoot feel (beretta 92). The KAC RAS came with a KAC forward grip. Previously I had no intentions of using a forward grip as I usually shoot with a C clamp style grip. Seeing as the KAC came with the panels and a grip figured I'd try it. I tried it and find it makes pulling the rifle into my shoulder much more easy. Gives me a bit more leverage. After some basic dry fire/ manipulation. I found it works best mounted about as far forward as it can go. With a slightly modified C clamp grip. I also found the KAC to be a bit long for my liking. Not wanting to lose the ability to quickly remove it for the bench and also not being 100% sure what the best length for me would be I ordered a larue FUG. Its a rather expensive forward grip, but figured instead of buying 2 or 3 and pay shipping each time just buy the one that I know somewhere in there is the right combo for me
Was going to get a eotech but got internet talked into aimpoint. So many people saying the are more durable and it kind of dug in I guess. Turns out the overtime I was working got cancelled temporarily. So the money for a high end optic is not there at this moment. So for now I am doing the less expensive mods for me.
Still have to get a light, still think I want a sling attatchment point closer to the receiver.

Now to the question in all of the rambling. Almost everytime I unshoulder the weapon after firing I find something on the stock tugs on my beard unless I have recently shaved. I have to assume its the stock. So anybody have solutions? New stock idea? Or other fix? Or start shaving more often and deal with it? The M4 style stock doesnt bother me minus this small point. If I can keep it and I dunno apply duck tape somewhere or something along the lines then thats fine aswell. Sorry for the rambling and lengthy post

duece71
03-18-12, 14:52
Check out Magpuls website....

http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/86

fixit69
03-18-12, 15:00
There is nothing wrong with the carbine stock. There are better options for me , I dont use an regular stock anymore, but that is a subjective thing that goes into "feel".

While the pennies get right, go finger one, ask people to let you hold/shoot one of whatever your interested in.

Failure2Stop
03-18-12, 15:08
My beard seems to slide into and get stuck in the gap between the receiver extension and the stock itself.

There aren't many solutions that retain the ability of the stock to collapse. Either deal with it (suck it up, shave, etc), tape it up, or go to a solid design (Fixed or UBR).

themighty9mm
03-18-12, 15:12
There is nothing wrong with the carbine stock. There are better options for me , I dont use an regular stock anymore, but that is a subjective thing that goes into "feel".

While the pennies get right, go finger one, ask people to let you hold/shoot one of whatever your interested in.

Thats a large problem for me. The number of places locally that stock AR parts I would consider using are about 0, unless I missed one. Dont know anyone who has a AR, and most of the people I see using AR's at the range are using them bone stock. Or they are using the cheapest of accessories money can buy, things that myself would never consider. Not that I'm a snob, but I have watched alot of cheap chinese junk break.

GTifosi
03-18-12, 15:14
Unless you're doing the Grizzly Adams thing you can usually get away with taking some medium to medium fine grit sandpaper and breaking the inside front edge of the stock's tube to a radius instead of the relatively sharp square edge it has now.

Going inboard a little distance by creating a slight ramp angle, say 1/8" to 1/4" from the edge, will help with longer hairs getting caught if breaking the leading edge isn't enough.

Two other ways around it that are easy and require no permanant modification:

1) Break your inward pull before you raise your head, or raise your head last as the case may be.

2) If you don't move the stock much if at all, a piece of electrical tape over the joint where the stock ends at the tube will prevent hair getting under that edge.
Form-a-gasket would too, but entirely sucks the fun out of allowing the stock to be easily adjusted.

themighty9mm
03-18-12, 15:18
Check out Magpuls website....

http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/86

That might be a solution. I'll have to look more into that

themighty9mm
03-18-12, 15:19
My beard seems to slide into and get stuck in the gap between the receiver extension and the stock itself.

There aren't many solutions that retain the ability of the stock to collapse. Either deal with it (suck it up, shave, etc), tape it up, or go to a solid design (Fixed or UBR).

Yea I was afraid this might be that case. Its far from the worst thing ever, just a minor annoyance that if I can come up with a simple solution would be nice

themighty9mm
03-18-12, 15:24
Unless you're doing the Grizzly Adams thing you can usually get away with taking some medium to medium fine grit sandpaper and breaking the inside front edge of the stock's tube to a radius instead of the relatively sharp square edge it has now.

Going inboard a little distance by creating a slight ramp angle, say 1/8" to 1/4" from the edge, will help with longer hairs getting caught if breaking the leading edge isn't enough.

Two other ways around it that are easy and require no permanant modification:

1) Break your inward pull before you raise your head, or raise your head last as the case may be.

2) If you don't move the stock much if at all, a piece of electrical tape over the joint where the stock ends at the tube will prevent hair getting under that edge.
Form-a-gasket would too, but entirely sucks the fun out of allowing the stock to be easily adjusted.

Lol Not quite grizzly adams, just get a bit lazy in the beauty department.
Couldnt quite pin point where it was pulling from, for the longest time I assumed it was the grooves in the butt stock itself. As far as being adjustable, I adjusted it once and the only time it gets adjusted is when someone else shoots it. I might just tape it off then, if I find I am needing to adjust it more often then I'll break out the sand paper.That just might be the ticket completly. I'll give it a whirl.

GTifosi
03-18-12, 15:43
Usually its either that leadind edge allowing hair to pinch between stock and receiver extension, or if you've a big ol' melon head, the little hole in the comb of the stock that is used to assemble the locking mechanism can occasionally snag a couple but its not anywhere near as common.

themighty9mm
03-18-12, 16:04
Usually its either that leadind edge allowing hair to pinch between stock and receiver extension, or if you've a big ol' melon head, the little hole in the comb of the stock that is used to assemble the locking mechanism can occasionally snag a couple but its not anywhere near as common.

Yea after playing with it a bit more, I did notice a hair stuck between the buffer tube, a stock. Simple tap will solve it for now, untill I feel like sanding.

M4Fundi
03-18-12, 20:27
VLTOR stocks pull my beard out and Magpul do not. One more reason to like Magpul;)

Bedford Forrest
03-18-12, 21:13
My Magpul CTR pulled my beard occasionally but my new STR hasn't pulled my beard a single time in 4 outings and it has a better cheek weld, just an all around perfect fit for me. And a big plus, it came in second to the UBR in the stock torture test.

Sticks
03-19-12, 04:00
I call it selective grooming.

I had the same issue on my Vltor eMod. Beard getting caught between the receiver tube and stock. I stopped noticing it halfway through my 2 day training class. Must have gotten all the angry hairs pulled out, or trained them to lay flat.

I would not tape or silicone the joint. Right about the time you do, Murphy will show up and you will have to mortar the rifle to free a stuck case (FTExtract), and you don't want to do that with the stock extended if you can avoid it.

To the OP - There has to be a gun shop in your area that sells a lot of ARs and accessories. One would think that they would let you try out different stocks on their rack rifles.

rob_s
03-19-12, 04:59
I have tried most of the collapsible stocks on the market today and all of them pull at my beard. Like F2S says, deal with it or tape it up, but if you tape it you lose the ability to adjust it.

I will say that the longer body on the Emod seems to get the gap further forward relative to my shoulder and therefore seems to pinch less. I shot with an A5 Emod (the A5 had nothing to do with the situation) at a Defoor class earlier this year and I honestly can't recall a pulling occurrance in that class. That means I'm either getting more used to it or it didn't happen. :D

GTifosi
03-19-12, 04:59
I would not tape or silicone the joint. Right about the time you do, Murphy will show up and you will have to mortar the rifle to free a stuck case (FTExtract), and you don't want to do that with the stock extended if you can avoid it.

Good point, though tape could be peeled right off if neccisary.

On the flip side, lube oil could potentially effect the adhesive and make a sticky icky.

Always viable to have a bit of bicycle innertube on there instead.
Soft, chemicals won't generally effect it, very easy to get out of the road if neccisary.

Failure2Stop
03-19-12, 09:12
Right about the time you do, Murphy will show up and you will have to mortar the rifle to free a stuck case (FTExtract), and you don't want to do that with the stock extended if you can avoid it.

And Bingo was his name-o.

CobraBG
03-19-12, 10:03
I've been taking the same slow route to modifying my 6920. Keep shooting it and slowly think about changes. Like you I changed to the Magpul grip, much better. I also changed the trigger guard, removed the carry handle and added a Troy folding rear sight. For a light mount I used the Magpul handguard with a IWC mount for a Scout light. Very clean set up. I'm still happily shooting with irons though someday maybe a red dot.

For the stock I got a LMT Sopmod. Very solid and smooth, it provides a good cheek position and yes I know, it's expensive. My beard never gets more than a few days old and it hasn't really gotten caught in this or the original stock.

Amicus
03-19-12, 13:57
Naw, you need more than a few days growth to get the full effect of a beard or mustache hair pull.

My take is this, and I do not presume to lecture people on their gun handling, but the hair pulls tend to show mistakes on my part. I have a beard for about four months of the year (Thanksgiving to April). I also shoot both fixed and collapsible stocked ARs due to the brilliant legislation from the Massachusetts legislature. So, I play mix-and-match with the beard/stock combos.

Fixed stocks are completely forgiving of certain problems, like crawling up the stock to achieve NTCH postures. If you try to do this with a beard and a collapsible, like the CTR, you WILL pull hairs. In my mind, this indicates that I am doing something wrong. Either the stock is set too far out for appropriate shooting, or the sights are not correctly distanced (e.g., short-eye relief), or some combination. If you can keep your head (and beard) positioned over the stock (and not over the joint in front) then you are not creeping up the stock and your head is appropriately positioned in a "heads up" posture, instead of a "nose down" one.

Anyway, that's my take. When my head is "up" and the stock is correctly positioned, then I do not pull hairs. I find that I usually make this mistake when I transition from a fixed stock (even an A1 length) to a collapsible.

TehLlama
03-19-12, 15:09
A BCM Gunfighter sticker works very well over the VLTOR stocks, but I prefer the EMOD over the IMOD just because it keeps me away from the gap between the stock and extension - that one is the grabber.

For that reason alone I prefer the EMOD and ACS (or UBR) whenever possible.

themighty9mm
03-19-12, 18:21
I call it selective grooming.

I had the same issue on my Vltor eMod. Beard getting caught between the receiver tube and stock. I stopped noticing it halfway through my 2 day training class. Must have gotten all the angry hairs pulled out, or trained them to lay flat.

To the OP - There has to be a gun shop in your area that sells a lot of ARs and accessories. One would think that they would let you try out different stocks on their rack rifles.
If there is one I am unaware. Accessories most defnatly not, the 2 gun shops in my area seem to cater to the lower end market, and last time I was in there about 3 weeks ago looked to be 90% stock guns, with a handfull of olympic arms with their rail on it. Dont remember seeing anything magpul, voltor, sopmod. Did see a (I think) CAA sopmopesk stock. Their handgun selection is good, but rifles seem to lean towards hunting department. I might look again as last time I wasnt exactly eyeing the AR's hard

inthebush50
03-21-12, 10:29
Gotta vote for magpul acs-L stock. Recently put on my psa 14.7 solid lock up excellent slope for cheek weld and storage!