PDA

View Full Version : BCG restraint

wild_wild_wes
03-18-12, 16:03
I've seen some SF types carrying M110s in an unusual style: they carry M4s as primary, and have the sniper rifle broken down into upper and lower groups, and stuck in their ruck. The thing I'm wondering about is: how do they keep the bolt carrier group from sliding out the rear of the upper? The 7.62 types are worse than 5.56 guns in regard, because their BCG is more massive and thus has more inertia. What would be a good field expedient to restrain the BCG: rubber bands, or can you think of a better way?

GTifosi
03-18-12, 16:23
Carry it muzzle down?

Rubber strap around the receiver to hold the dust cover shut which in turn will prevent the BCG from moving much at all.

Something to hold the FA forwards engaged with the carrier.

Could even make some doodad that affixes to the takedown pin lug and holds the carrier in place.

Any number of field type solutions, but I'm no aware of an actual issue or retail device to deal with it. Which isn't saying a whole lot mind you.

MistWolf
03-18-12, 20:04
Possible answers http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92068

a0cake
03-18-12, 20:34
This is done all the time with the M110. It makes sense sometimes, but doesn't others. I'm not going to get into when and why this would be done on a public forum, but the Spotter / Shooter each carry half or one of them carries both halves broke down...whatever works out better based on what other equipment needs to go. For the M110 an oily rag wrapped around the upper with some rubber bands around it works fine. It's really not an issue or a big deal. Even if the BCG does fall out into the ruck (which has never happened with the wrapped oily rag), you would just, you know, put it back in.

MegademiC
03-18-12, 23:04
I carry mine in halves(5.56 gun) i just use an old t shirt, put the back of the upper in the middle, fold the buttom to the collar and wrap the sleeves around and tie in a overhand knot. Stuff in pack, good to go - never had it fall out.

wild_wild_wes
03-18-12, 23:15
This is done all the time with the M110. I'm not going to get into when and why this would be done on a public forum

Stealth Mode? :D