PDA

View Full Version : SBS shotgun question

kyrin88
03-19-12, 12:24
I sent out my form 1 last year around june and just got it back on the 22nd of Feb.:D(rem 870 mag) I installed a Magpul UBR stock with mesa tactical gear and have a surefire shotgun weapon light forearm on it. I had the barrel cut down to 12.5 " by a professional gunsmith. I wanted to know if you can register my gun as an AOW/SBS so that I can put a pistol grip on it when I want to.

khc3
03-19-12, 14:54
I'm not sure you'd need to, in the same way that the Mossberg Cruiser still remains a shotgun with the pistol grip installed.

kyrin88
03-19-12, 17:08
I'm not sure you'd need to, in the same way that the Mossberg Cruiser still remains a shotgun with the pistol grip installed.

Thanks for your reply, but i'm not sure what your statement meant. I have an SBS and I want to know if the same SBS receiver can be registered as an AOW. I would like to change the stock back and forth from a stock to a pistol grip if needed.

rcpd34
03-19-12, 17:52
My understanding is there is no need for the AOW designation if you have the SBS paperwork approved. You can add the pistol grip.

kyrin88
03-19-12, 18:40
My understanding is there is no need for the AOW designation if you have the SBS paperwork approved. You can add the pistol grip.

This is good news, thanks. I will call ATF just to be 100.

Pics up later on this week when I get it back from smith.

MH64
03-19-12, 21:06
IIRC, the AOW designation will only apply to firearms that are originally registered as such by the manufacturer.

So in turn, you can register a shotgun as an sbs but not a aow.

cmoore
03-19-12, 22:33

THIS...as long as it started its life with a standard stock, you're GTG.

Todd.K
03-20-12, 11:24
You cannot make an AOW from a shotgun. If it has ever had a stock installed it is a "Weapon made from a shotgun" under the NFA.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf

I'm not sure you'd need to, in the same way that the Mossberg Cruiser still remains a shotgun with the pistol grip installed.A Mossberg 500 with pistol grip is not a shotgun. A shotgun is "intended to be fired from the shoulder" by legal definition so it must have a stock to be a shotgun.

kyrin88
03-20-12, 12:39
My gun started as a shotgun so I guess I cant register it as an AOW. Ok so if I buy a serbu shorty can I register it as a SBS and buy a quick detach adaptor so that i can attach a stock on it if needed?

usmcvet
03-20-12, 13:31
You have an SBS.

If you want an AOW 12 guage you should go for it. You can not have both guns be the same. Even if you could you would be wasting a $200 stamp to get a $5 AOW stamp.

Robb Jensen
03-20-12, 13:40
ToddK is correct a 18" Mossberg with a pistol grip and not a stock is a Title 1 firearm. Same as have a receiver transferred to you.
SBSs and SBRS are designed to be fired from the shoulder.

Iraqgunz
03-20-12, 14:12
Why over complicate this? You have an SBS. So just build an AOW.

My gun started as a shotgun so I guess I cant register it as an AOW. Ok so if I buy a serbu shorty can I register it as a SBS and buy a quick detach adaptor so that i can attach a stock on it if needed?

kyrin88
03-20-12, 14:49
Why over complicate this? You have an SBS. So just build an AOW.

Thanks, I will take your advice. I just got the idea from a shotgun pic thread I was looking at where an individual interchanged between a pistol grip and stock on same gun by quick detach adaptor. I will be getting my SBS back from smith this week and will post pics. The great thing is that I can always depend on members here to answer my questions. Thanks

khc3
03-20-12, 22:16
You cannot make an AOW from a shotgun. If it has ever had a stock installed it is a "Weapon made from a shotgun" under the NFA.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf

A Mossberg 500 with pistol grip is not a shotgun. A shotgun is "intended to be fired from the shoulder" by legal definition so it must have a stock to be a shotgun.

This has always confused me. If it is not a shotgun, then why is it not an AOW?

A pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell;

As one of the definitions of AOW, this would seem to describe the 500with PG.

CleverNickname
03-21-12, 09:21
This has always confused me. If it is not a shotgun, then why is it not an AOW?

As one of the definitions of AOW, this would seem to describe the 500with PG.

An AOW is a concealable firearm. A factory PGO 500 is over 26 " OAL, so it's not concealable according to the ATF.