PDA

View Full Version : m-tac vs c-tac w/mole skin

moonshot
03-19-12, 16:22
I've read the posts on the Comp-tac Holsters' C-tac vs M-tac. The concensus seems to be that the M-tac is more comfortable while the C-tac has better retention, reholsters easier, and is completely impervious to sweat.

My C-tac has been great this past winter when I would typically wear a tucked-in polo shirt, my C-tac, and an outer sweatshirt / sweater / vest.

Now that we are into spring, I find myself wearing an undershirt tucked-in, my C-tac, and a polo shirt untucked.

However, as we approach summer, I think I need something else. It will be too warm for layers, and the C-tac is not terribly comfortable next to skin. So - I need some advise.

What would those with experience here recommend - another C-tac with mole skin applied, or the M-tac? Retention and reholstering are important, but so is comfort. Any opinions?

SeriousStudent
03-19-12, 19:36
I have an MTAC, and prefer it over a friend's CTAC that I borrowed for an eval.

I have two friends that carried moleskin-equipped CTAC's, and switched to the MTAC.

And all three of us live here in "Oh My God It's Hot" Texas.

Wintertime, I do like my OWB Kaluban Cloak. But winter here lasts about a couple of weeks.

ImBroke
03-19-12, 19:52
I still use mole skin on my MTAC. Otherwise the leather tends to stick to me with terror flashbacks to hot days, shorts and vinyl car seats.

ARonBoard
03-20-12, 17:31
Ive had both as well. Did not run mole skin on the CTAC though (no moles in AZ). I only kept the MTAC. I do wear an "a shirt" (wife beater) daily as well. FWIW.

skyugo
03-20-12, 20:09
I tried that moleskin on a raven holster, honestly it sucks. Doesn't' really add the sort of cushioning/contouring that leather does, and doesn't stick very well.
I'm a pretty big fan of the MTAC. Sold my last one with my P7, but I may get another for my G19 someday.

erice303
03-20-12, 20:25
I have had very good experience with my mtac with no moleskin, but i general have a tucked in undershirt.

glockeyed
03-20-12, 21:19
MTAC user in FL summer....

anything except sunscreen sucks against your skin. however i find leather to be better than plastic. i have never tried the mole skin.

retention is adjustable, (get some loctite)

since cant and ride height is adjustable that will vary, but... i haven't had issues re holstering but the gun "body" is right at my pants, and not real low.

LHS
03-21-12, 01:03
Big fan of the MTAC. AZ summers can be brutal, but a light button-down shirt over the MTAC with a tucked-in wifebeater works well. The extra padding of the leather vs. Kydex makes a difference on long days. If it'll handle my full-size Beretta 92 with the heavy Brigadier slide, it'll work for just about anything.

TheLefty
03-21-12, 20:00
I haven't tried the Mtac, but I used to own (past tense) the similar-in-concept SuperTuck. For me, I much prefer the Ctac. Oddly enough, I find it more comfortable, and noticeably more concealable than the Supertuck. How that relates to the Mtac, I'm not sure, but they seem similar enough.

I did purchase some moleskin when I ordered my Ctac, but never felt the need to use it.

Also, I live in Louisiana, so hot and humid (read: sweaty) summers are the norm.

From what I've read and seen, I seem to be in the minority with my preference for the Ctac, but I am a small guy. Being 5'6" and 130ish pounds, my build may play a big factor in what's comfortable for me.