PDA

View Full Version : Apache crash Afghanistan...

Belmont31R
03-19-12, 23:53
Pretty nuts. Ive seen helicopters do this maneuver but not sure what this pilot was thinking.

http://www.military.com/video/military-aircraft-operations/crash-landings/insane-apache-crash-in-afghanistan/1518984816001/

NWPilgrim
03-20-12, 00:10
That will be coming out of his paycheck...

Glad the pilots survived and no one on the ground was hurt. Good thing that did not happen in a combat situation or it may have gotten a lot of guys killed trying to rescue them under intense fire.

I imagine you have to push the envelop though so you have a better chance surviving later in combat.

Reagans Rascals
03-20-12, 00:23
classic example of a pilot letting his excitement for showing off overtake the physical performance of his craft... and I'll admit I myself have been guilty of... both in the air and on a motorcycle... granted I've never destroyed an aircraft though.....

that maneuver would have worked flawlessly at sea level..... things are much different when the air is half as thick.... things tend to not want to fly too well in thin air... much less when their load factor sky rockets when trying to execute a wing over and the L-D ratio is tanked...

he let his ego cloud his judgement.... and at 00:26 seconds it looks like the tail boom or anti-torque rotor hit that dude on the right... we're talking like less than 2-3 feet if it didn't..... bet that'll pucker up your butthole......

same exact situation here:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=033_1257720528

except that pilot got 85 people killed and spent 15 years in prison... a Ukrainian prison....

Evil Colt 6920
03-20-12, 00:47
same exact situation here:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=033_1257720528

except that pilot got 85 people killed and spent 15 years in prison... a Ukrainian prison....

DAMN thats a crazy vid there.

Redmanfms
03-20-12, 00:47
I wonder if he uttered the immortal phase of the crashing Apache pilot, "Oh ye of little faith"?

MistWolf
03-20-12, 05:47
I have seen that maneuver performed by AH64Ds dozens of times. My test pilot did it every test flight when we finished rotor smoothing. I agree with Reagans Rascals, it was the density altitude that got him. Not enough density for the engines to make full power and not enough for the rotors to get a good bite. He also pulled out of the climb a bit close to the ground. I am amazed the flight crew survived. That speaks volumes of the integrity of the titanium tub they sit in.

Remember, boys & girls- "Keep thy altitude, or the ground shall reach up and smite thee"

Army Chief
03-20-12, 06:12
The difference between recklessness and skill is often measured by the outcome. Unfortunately, when you get it wrong in a helicopter, the margin for error is frightfully thin. I feel bad for these guys, as most of us who fly have probably come close to pranging an aircraft ourselves at some point along the way, but there is no debating that this was a self-induced mishap. Glad the crew survived it, even if they will likely be looking for a new line of work.

AC

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-20-12, 09:03
The difference between recklessness and skill is often measured by the outcome. Unfortunately, when you get it wrong in a helicopter, the margin for error is frightfully thin. I feel bad for these guys, as most of us who fly have probably come close to pranging an aircraft ourselves at some point along the way, but there is no debating that this was a self-induced mishap. Glad the crew survived it, even if they will likely be looking for a new line of work.

AC

Well said it was just to much strain for the enviroment. Glad there ok.
Here is how my best friend (a dust off piolt parks)
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn119/ICANHITHIMMAN/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0319121234.jpg

CarlosDJackal
03-20-12, 15:58
Pretty nuts. Ive seen helicopters do this maneuver but not sure what this pilot was thinking...[/URL]

It's called a "Return to target" or RTT. IIRC, it is one of the maneuvers Attack Helicopter Pilots are supposed to be able to do and was taught in Flight School. It used to be one of the maneuvers that they were checked off on at least annually.

In watching the video it seems to me that the pilot misjudged his proximity to the ground probably because of the snow. I believe it's called "Altered Planes of Reference" and is one of 11 visual illusions Aviators need to watch out for.

CarlosDJackal
03-20-12, 16:00

AC

+1. In this case the difference between crashing and making a daredevil maneuver was a matter of inches. I wonder if the pilot uttered those words of warning that all CP/Gs and passengers dread, "Watch this!!" I can just imagine how wild a ride the crew had when they lost their anti-torque rotor at the end there. :eek: