PDA

View Full Version : Nanny State vs. Charitable Organizations

CarlosDJackal
03-20-12, 13:29
Tin foil helmet firmly on my head.

I read something about the current HHS vs. Catholic Church issue that gave me food for thought about this whole thing. I was wondering why the current POTUS has decided to risk loosing all those religious votes just so he can gain the supposed "feminist" votes. It just did not make sense because he was not just stepping on the toes of the Catholic Church but pretty much every organized religion in the US and even the world.

One of the things the article pointed out is the fact that the Catholic Church has over the past couple of thousand years have challenged and won against some of the most powerful Emperors and Rulers in history. A lot of this occurred long before anything like the US Constitution was even under any consideration.

But then the article hit upon something that put some things into clarity (for me anyway). A regime whose goal is the complete control of its population can usually achieve this in three possible ways: by Force, Economically, or by establishing a Welfare State.

Despite their attempts to neuter the Second Amendment, it is too well entrenched in our society to succeed. This would require the total commitment of every Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine as well as all Law Enforcement Officers to ignore the very oath they swore to uphold and protect. Not a very likely scenario at pretty much any scale.

To be able to force a Capitalist System to achieve total failure so that its population has to rely on the government for financial support required the successful intervention of either the government or an outside force (IE: the "occupy" crowd). But since the very individuals who would like to see this take root also happen to be money-grubbing Capitalists, this is also very unlikely. This would be like someone sawing the very tree branch that he is sitting on.

So that leaves using Welfare to control the masses. Whether we like it or not, this has been relatively successful in certain geographical regions (IE: urban areas) and with certain demographic segments.

But charitable organization such Catholic Charities and other religious organization puts a damper on things. How can they convince someone on welfare that they only need the government when they can receive free medical help from these charities who do do a much better job of protecting their identities?

So by mandating "free" healthcare, the government is tyrying to horn in on their target audience. Furthermore, by requiring these religious-based charities to offer goods and services that are against the very core of their faith; they are but ensuring that they will have no choice but to close up all their facilities and give the government and its subsidized organizations the monopoly to provide free healthcare (at a cost to the rest of us).

This is why non-Catholic organizations have also stood up to voice their opposition. If barrack HUSSEIN obama manages to force all the Catholic Hospitals and Clinics to close its doors; what chances do the other religious-based hospitals and clinics have? The "current sticking point" may be birth control and abortion. But next year it could be Kosher Meals, Pork, and what-have you.

Pretty damned ingenious if you ask me.

Belmont31R
03-20-12, 13:59
Here you go....

Bloomberg Strikes Again: NYC Bans Food Donations To The Homeless

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s food police have struck again!

Outlawed are food donations to homeless shelters because the city can’t assess their salt, fat and fiber content, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

Glenn Richter arrived at a West Side synagogue on Monday to collect surplus bagels — fresh nutritious bagels — to donate to the poor. However, under a new edict from Bloomberg’s food police he can no longer donate the food to city homeless shelters.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/19/bloomberg-strikes-again-nyc-bans-food-donations-to-the-homeless/

TehLlama
03-21-12, 00:31
It does seem simple when put like that - to establish a viable welfare state it simply doesn't work to have competition in that regard - especially when your entity is one which confiscates and/or borrows money in order to pay for services and your competition is one to which people voluntarily donate money and time to provide those services.

I wouldn't call it brilliant, except in the regard that the current HHS v Catholic church is in fact the lowest risk lowest key approach they could have gone about, despite the deafening furor.