PDA

View Full Version : Iron sight installation question

blockbuster5
03-20-12, 20:41
Howdy, I'm new here and have been doing a lot of reading. One subject I want to read up on in the proper way to install front and rear iron sights on ARs. If there's a thread I've overlooked somewhere, a link would be great. The procedure looks as simple as tightening a screw, but there's probably a little more to it.
thanks

Amicus
03-20-12, 22:08
blockbuster5:

Need way more info for a particular answer. It all depends on the iron sights. Are you trying to determine which ones to get, or do you already have them? Is the rear sight a flip up BUIS or a fixed sight? It the front sight a "F marked" (generally for flat tops) fixed front sight base, an older fixed front sight, a removable sight that attaches to a gas block, a rail, or is integral to a gas block?

Generally, if you have matched detachable front and rear irons, you put the front one as far forward as it will go, and the rear as far back as it will go, tighten the screws with loctite, then sight in.

Failure2Stop
03-20-12, 22:16
It's pretty much the same as installing an optic base:

Determine where you want to place the sight (for irons, the front sight should go as far forward as you can and still have the mount fully on a rail, and the rear should be as far back as you can go).

Apply Blue (242) LocTite to the screw threads that will enter the mount.

Loosely attach the sight to the rail.
Ensure that the sight is properly oriented.

Apply forward pressure (toward the muzzle) on the sight and tighten the mount to 35 to 65 inch pounds of torque.

Allow to cure for 24 hours.

Zero gun.

blockbuster5
03-20-12, 22:32
The blue Loc Tite and the forward pressure was all I needed. Thanks! They are DD fixed sights going on the BCM recce w/ the Troy Vtac hand guard.