PDA

View Full Version : Taurus TCP

narco23
03-20-12, 21:06
I purchased a Taurus TCP some time ago. When I took it too the range I had some failure to feed issues. I noticed this seems to be a fairly common problem which I wish I had known when I bought it. At the time my range guy thought it was just the cheap ammo I had been using. However, I assume its a bigger problem but I just haven't had the chance or money to try various types of ammo.

Has any else had any experience with Taurus in getting this fixed? Would I just be better off taking it and trading it in on a Ruger LCP or something similar. Just wanted a good and reliable BUG.

F-Trooper05
03-21-12, 00:52
Just wanted a good and reliable BUG.

You got the wrong gun then.

Nephrology
03-21-12, 08:39
In the future, I recommend doing your homework before you purchase a pistol.

Taurus is not known for quality. I would try their customer service but don't hold your breath.

narco23
03-21-12, 08:46
Well when I bought it I originally went in for the Ruger LCP and the dealer talked me into the Taurus so that is my bad. Should have stuck to what I wanted.

I might just go trade it in and take the hit to get something more reliable. I can deal with sending it in to get fixed as long as it is actually fixed. If its going to take a while and come back with the same issues that why bother.

narco23
03-21-12, 09:01
Also, I know the LCP wouldn't be a cure all either. I'm really want something I could carry in a pocket or vest as a BUG so I'm thinking about a 5 shot or something similar. Any other semi-auto options that will be reliable or should I give up on that dream?

C4IGrant
03-21-12, 09:07
I purchased a Taurus TCP some time ago. When I took it too the range I had some failure to feed issues. I noticed this seems to be a fairly common problem which I wish I had known when I bought it. At the time my range guy thought it was just the cheap ammo I had been using. However, I assume its a bigger problem but I just haven't had the chance or money to try various types of ammo.

Has any else had any experience with Taurus in getting this fixed? Would I just be better off taking it and trading it in on a Ruger LCP or something similar. Just wanted a good and reliable BUG.

I have to wonder when I read things like this (in bold) why the buyer didn't know? I mean, it isn't like Taurus is KNOWN for producing a quality firearm. So there was no way that the TCP was going to be a good gun.

The other question I have to ask is, how much is your life worth? Why do people buy the cheapest guns they can to bet their life on????

I am not trying to single you out (as there are many just like you), but I am just baffled as to why this happens.

C4

F-Trooper05
03-21-12, 09:20
Also, I know the LCP wouldn't be a cure all either. I'm really want something I could carry in a pocket or vest as a BUG so I'm thinking about a 5 shot or something similar. Any other semi-auto options that will be reliable or should I give up on that dream?

When you say "BUG" does that mean you're looking for something to back up your primary, or are you actually looking for a primary?

narco23
03-21-12, 09:21
I wasn't looking for the cheapest gun possible. I was looking for which was a pocket .380 to use as a BUG.

I also did not do any research on Taurus and had no idea about their reputation. I mistakenly trusted the dealer who in the past had been very helpful. He is a retired LEO and I doubt he would want to jeopardize someone's life to make a buck. He has been very helpful and honest with myself and other members of my department and has been highly recommended. I made a mistake by trusting that recommendation without researching it first.

Keep in mind not everyone can be knowledgeable on every aspect related to firearms.

narco23
03-21-12, 09:31
My primary use for the weapon would be a BUG to carry on my vest while on duty. I also may use it very rarely as a primary for some very discrete carry options during UC operations. Most of the time I use a Glock 27 when I need to carry a concealed firearm (off duty and on duty) and that would not change. Like I said it would be very rare when I would even consider using it as a primary carry option.

Beat Trash
03-21-12, 09:57
I wasn't looking for the cheapest gun possible. I was looking for which was a pocket .380 to use as a BUG.

I also did not do any research on Taurus and had no idea about their reputation. I mistakenly trusted the dealer who in the past had been very helpful. He is a retired LEO and I doubt he would want to jeopardize someone's life to make a buck. He has been very helpful and honest with myself and other members of my department and has been highly recommended. I made a mistake by trusting that recommendation without researching it first.

Keep in mind not everyone can be knowledgeable on every aspect related to firearms.

I've been a LEO for going on 20 years. I can tell you that just because an individual is a retired LEO, doesn't mean they are knowledgeable about firearms. As have been posted elsewhere, many agencies have to deal with personnel that have a lack of knowledge but who's job it is to select weapons for their agency.

My best advice to you would be to sell off the Taurus and chalk it up to a learning experience.

I vest carry my BUG while in uniform. You'd be surprised at what you can comfortably carry and conceal. (Hint, if your shirt has buttons, a couple pieces of velcro in the right places makes life easier.)

Last November, I participated in two separate ballistics workshops hosted by my agency. (ATK and Winchester) I had them include bare gel shots for 380 and 38 spec, as well as 9mm using a 3" Kahr PM9.

Any doubt I personally had about relying on a 380 for duty use ended on the spot. If you feel comfortable with a 380 as a BUG, Good bless and more power to you. My intent is not to get into a pissing contest. I just feel if you need a BUG, things have already turned to shit, which makes it a bad time to have the word "marginal" in the equation.

Do not listen to those who defend their choice by first telling you in detail how their critical incident will unfold. "Well if I ever need a BUG, the suspect will be... this close... and I'll be..." If I could predict the parameter of an armed encounter a head of time, I'd stay at home instead! You never know how it will unfold. He may be a car length away. He may have friends. Your dominate hand may be injured.

The J-frame 642 carries well on the vest. A gun such as the M&P9c will work, but is pushing the upper limit of weight and comfort. I compromised on the Walther PPS 9mm. I didn't go with my PM9 only because it's too small for my size of hand to grab and shoot under stress.

I would never consider carrying a Ruger LCP as a primary while working any type of plane cloths undercover operations. ESPECIALLY if it involves dope! The suspects who sling dope in my city go large or they go home.

If you are ever planning on using this gun as a primary while at work, then I'd really recommend looking at some of the sub-compact 9mm guns out there instead of any 380 pistol.

Search the topic of BUG's. Go to the Terminal Ballistics section and read Dr. Gary Roberts' opinion on the topic and on the 380. Do yourself a huge favor and research as much as possible on the topic. Please don't rely on just one source, even if it's me.

C4IGrant
03-21-12, 09:57

Since Taurus is pretty much the cheapest gun available, you basically did choose it.

So you have NEVER heard ANYTHING about Taurus before?? That is shocking to me and really makes it worse (as you bought a brand of gun that has a LOOOOOONG history of sucking).

Lots of FFL dealers are honest and friendly. That doesn't mean that they know a SINGLE THING about firearms. In fact, they tend to be some of the least educated gun people I have met. They select guns strictly on margins. So which ever brand allows them to make the most coin, is what they like (or which ever brand is most available).

Since you are choosing to defend yourself with said gun, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make sure you know what your are buying!

And yes, YOU CAN be knowledgeable on which brands are quality and which ones are not (you just have to try).

C4