PDA

View Full Version : Abuse from suppressor

themighty9mm
03-20-12, 23:16
This might be the wrong forum, wasnt sure to put it under NFA or this one.
I have been tossing around the idea of getting a suppressor for my HD AR. I have read a few times people saying it is rough on the gun, any gun for that matter. Speaking specifically AR15 what parts exactly is it rough on? I have a rough idea how they work and a rough idea about the gas blowing back but dont see how its more abusive to the gun.

JasonM
03-21-12, 09:45
This might be the wrong forum, wasnt sure to put it under NFA or this one.
I have been tossing around the idea of getting a suppressor for my HD AR. I have read a few times people saying it is rough on the gun, any gun for that matter. Speaking specifically AR15 what parts exactly is it rough on? I have a rough idea how they work and a rough idea about the gas blowing back but dont see how its more abusive to the gun.

In general, the suppressor is going to increase the amount and pressure of the gas in the system, which increases bolt/action speed and over time (or immediately, in cases of guns that are already overgassed) can lead to premature wear or breakage on the springs, pins, and all the BCG parts.

In some cases, the bolt velocity can be so hi that mags won't be able feed a new round quickly enough, etc.

TehLlama
03-21-12, 12:22
From a starting viewpoint, it's easy to evaluate how much harder a suppressor is on a particular upper receiver, but for the investment most people have into a suppressor or family of suppressors, often the upper receiver in question is viewed merely as a host for that can, and quite often set up as a dedicated setup for the purpose of running with the can installed.

BCG takes the most abuse anyway, that just increases it massively. Buffer/Action spring doesn't wear any quicker, but you have to replace it more proactively to keep it cycling in most suppressed ARs. Gas port erosion, gas tubes are ran harder, and most importantly the user is more important on the cleaning side - they need to be cleaned more frequently to keep running.

Aside from all that, the biggest reason the majority of people don't run double stamp suppressed SBRs is crappy state laws, and mostly the cost and patience required to purchase and acquire NFA items.