PDA

View Full Version : Would you swap uppers?

kVon
03-20-12, 23:27
I recently purchased a BCM upper with a Centurion 11.5 CHF barrel and URX ll installed. The upper is a non-m4 feedramp upper, and the barrel has m4 feedramps.

Should I bother buying a BCM stripped M4 upper and swapping? If so, who can remove a URX ll that I can trust to do good work (ADCO won't).

GTifosi
03-20-12, 23:55
Barrel with ramps and receiver without = fine
Reciever with ramps and barrel without = bad thing

kVon
03-21-12, 07:55
I understand it will work ok, but it won't cause issues for hard use? I am building this gun for training classes and it will be run through its paces. I would just rather take care of it now if it might be an issue, since I have another 5 months until my stamp comes back.

wahoo95
03-21-12, 08:10
I wouldn't worry about it. But if it bothers you swap it out so that it is no longer an issue

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RKB Armory
03-21-12, 08:26
It will probably work fine. If not, you could try VLTOR's A5 system, which should slow the cycling enough that the M4 cuts are no longer necessary. Just an idea to keep in mind in case you run into cycling issues.

GTifosi
03-21-12, 11:39
Not that its the perfect solution, but a couple minutes work with a round jewelers file will put ramps there.
*NOT* a dremel. Way too fast working and powerful for such a subtle task

Know that it may break through the anodizing and the angle will be off a couple degrees from true M4 ramps, but it will function pretty much identically to the real deal in full auto fire. Semi auto is not going to be an issue unless you can yank the trigger at a 800 to 900 round per minute pace.

Would 'I' swap uppers just because of the absence of receiver ramps?
Nope.

TehLlama
03-21-12, 12:03
For semi-only, with decent magazines, it's a complete nonissue. Feed ramps cut into the receiver are nice to have, but unless you're noticing the skid marks on the barrel ramps from the bullet jacket far enough down to be concerned, then you're set up perfectly.

rob_s
03-21-12, 12:05
Did you buy this as a barreled upper from BCM? I'm just curious how you wound up with this combination.

Stickman
03-21-12, 12:09
Did you buy this as a barreled upper from BCM? I'm just curious how you wound up with this combination.

Same thoughts here.

kVon
03-21-12, 20:24

I traded uppers with a member who couldn't get a CLEO signature after purchasing from another member here.

Specs were:
BCM upper, centurion arms 11.5 CHF barrel, CMMG micro gas block, KAC URXll and a CMMG BCG. Assembled by Lawman Shooter Supply.

I traded for my LMT upper, sans BCG, and called it a deal. I put a new BCM BCG in it with my gunfighter mod4.

I didn't know BCM made a non-M4 feedramp upper until the other day, while searching their site. I went and checked, sure as shit mine doesn't have them. I did some reading and the research said it was ok, but feedramps are preferred. I have a semi-only so I gues I will be fine.