PDA

View Full Version : Buying used Gen 2 G19 vs. buying a brand new G19

brickboy240
03-21-12, 13:18
Greetings!

I have been looking at buying a new autopistol for carry and defense and the one I keep coming back to is the Glock 19.

I currently own two 2nd Gen Glocks (17 & 22) and both have been stellar since I bought them in the mid 90s. Honestly, I don't recall the 2nd Gen G-17 ever jamming....ever. I liked the PPQ but the mag and holster issue keeps me away. XDs and M&PS seem nice but again...I have no longtime experience with these guns. The Glock 2nd gen platform just seems familiar and I am used to it.

Since there seems to be many QC issues with the 4th gen and recently made 3rd gen Glocks...how silly would it be to buy a lightly used 2nd gen G-19 instead?

I have found several lightly used 2nd gen G-19s for sale well under 400 bucks. Some even have night sights. they are police trades that were carried often and shot little and show hardly any wear on the inside. My 2nd gen G22 was a police trade in and it runs great and has done so for many years of light to medium shooting.

Since I am already used to the 2nd gen grip (with no grooves) and don't plan on hanging a light on it...this is one route I am considering.

Is there any real downside (minus the usual ones from buying used guns, period) to this idea? I mean, didn't Glock build its reputation on the 2nd gen guns? My 2 other 2nd gen Glocks are some of the most trouble free pistols I have ever known.

Since the used 2nd gen G-19 is cheaper and the QC issues with newer G19s are known....is this a safe bet? Were there glaring parts changes from 2nd to 3rd gen G91s that make this a bad move? They still use the same mags...right?

Thought I'd ask....I am new here so don't beat me up too much if this seems like a strange question. People tend to stay away from 2nd gen Glocks, when I have found them to be totally trustworthy.

...worth a shot?

Thanks,

brickboy240

RD62
03-21-12, 13:27
I'd buy a lightly used G19 police trade-in for well under $400 in a heartbeat! Maybe two.

I'd buy one. Replace the springs (maybe the sights if needed) and carry/shoot the crap out of it.

In fact, clue a buddy in on where I can score one too!

zibby43
03-21-12, 14:09
In fact, clue a buddy in on where I can score one too!

Ditto.

dustburn
03-21-12, 14:49
I would think either would be good to go. I just recently (a month ago) picked up a new g19 gen 4 and after 2050 rounds, zero failures. I think this means Glock has straitened their shit out? Please know I am a sample size of one lol

Tango Charlie145
03-21-12, 14:49
Some people believe if the Gen2's had a light rail, they would really be perfection, that is for those who deam a light rail is a must on a handgun. Gen 2's are very popular in my area and are hard to come by.
Good luck with your purchase.

threedogdad
03-21-12, 15:15
I sold my Gen2 G19 last year to purchase my Gen4 G19. I had owned the Gen2 since the mid-90s, but never quite got comfortable with how it felt and pointed for me. The 2mm difference in grip thickness between the Gen2 and Gen4 actually does make a difference...at least for me.

As of today I have just over 5,000 rounds through my Gen4 with ZERO problems, complaints, issues or malfunctions of any sort.

Just another sample size of one for your consideration.

FChen17213
03-21-12, 15:19
I would definitely buy the Gen2. Why take a chance on reliability and quality? With a Gen2, you know you're getting a good gun. The late Gen3s and Gen4s will always keep you guessing.....even if you do get a problem-free one, you'll still be wondering, "Will the next 1000 rounds give me problems?"

brickboy240
03-21-12, 15:47
Thats what I thought.

Being 46 years old and growing up, shooting Dad's old pre-64 Winchesters and other "classics" my view on guns is usually "older is better" and that has served me well on Glock and SIGs as well as other firearms. Unless you drop a grand on an HK, most of the production service pistols today just seem thrown together and their QC is iffy at best.

The fact that the 2nd gen Glocks do not have a light rail is no biggie to me. If I was a cop, that might be different, but the few autos I have shot with lights...well...the light's weight just threw off the feel of the gun, sorry. Especially on a 1911. I am also a believer in "keep it simple" and a light or laser are just things that could go down on you at the wrongest of times.

From the G17 and G22 I own and have shot heavily since the mid 90s....man..if you can make a 2nd gen Glock stop running....you have worked very hard! LOL I literally do not lube these things or clean them often and leave the mags loaded for many months and they always go bang when called upon.

In fact, when the "S" hits the "F"...I want my AK and G17 and everything else is going to hide in the safe till things cool down. They're that reliable.

After I buy mine...I'll let you know if and where these people have any left. they run slightly under 400 bucks and many have the factory Meprolight Tru dot sights. My Tru Dots on the 1994 G22 still glow fairly well.

- brickboy240

ST911
03-21-12, 16:11
Non-FG/R ("gen 2") G19s are in high demand. Especially so, if it's a transitional model with the reinforced front frame rails.

If the price is reasonable, I would buy it.

brickboy240
03-21-12, 16:28
Is there serial number range on the 2nd Gen G-19s that I should look for or ones to avoid? I believe the G19s I was looking at were 1994-96 made guns.

- brickboy240

FChen17213
03-21-12, 17:20
I think those should be fine. There may have been some recall on some very very early G19s, but I don't have any confirmation or reliable source on that. You should be fine. For Gen3, I think the general consensus is to stay before the P-prefix guns.

Arik
03-22-12, 06:37
I'd go with G2 only because they are used and about $200 +/- cheaper. Unless you realy realy want a light rail.

Tango Charlie145
03-22-12, 07:26
Here is as link to Glocktalk where you can research the different serial numbers.
Hope this helps.
TC

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287557

Maverick07
03-22-12, 13:31
Economics aside... which is always a factor... I prefer the Gen 4 Glock 19 over the Gen 2 every time. When I broke into LE (I am dating myself here) I purchased on my own dime the then new Gen 2 Glock 19. I liked the reliability, light weight, compact size and decent ergos. However, the grip was never satisfactory to me due to its slippery surface, which the Hogue Handall and their ilk never quite resolved. In addition, the mags then available did not fall free, which was a real pain in the ass during reloading.

Skip forward almost 15 years or so and we were given the option of carrying the Gen 4 Glock 19's. The ergos IMHO are much improved over the prior variants in that the grip surface, backstrap options and larger mag release are significant improvements. Reliability has been excellent in my Gen 4 and the few other guys with the Gen 4's have not reported any issues either.

Perhaps more important, the ability to use a tac light is just as important for non-LE or LE applications. At night or dim light, which is roughly have the time, the ability to illuminate your threat is critical. The Gen 2 essentially requires your reactionary hand be devoted to illumination (unless you are going to flip on the light... which opens up another can of worms). By attaching the light to the weapon your reactionary hand is always free to apply restraints, use the phone or operate other mechanical devices... like a door or car ignition... to get the hell off the X.

If given the option of a Gen 2 or Gen 4, I reiterate my choice for the Gen 4. The higher price for me is worth the improved ergos and tac rail functions. I also will not have to be concerned with what the ape who owned it before did or did not do to the weapon.

JHC
03-22-12, 15:49
Economics aside... which is always a factor... I prefer the Gen 4 Glock 19 over the Gen 2 every time. When I broke into LE (I am dating myself here) I purchased on my own dime the then new Gen 2 Glock 19. I liked the reliability, light weight, compact size and decent ergos. However, the grip was never satisfactory to me due to its slippery surface, which the Hogue Handall and their ilk never quite resolved. In addition, the mags then available did not fall free, which was a real pain in the ass during reloading.

Skip forward almost 15 years or so and we were given the option of carrying the Gen 4 Glock 19's. The ergos IMHO are much improved over the prior variants in that the grip surface, backstrap options and larger mag release are significant improvements. Reliability has been excellent in my Gen 4 and the few other guys with the Gen 4's have not reported any issues either.

Perhaps more important, the ability to use a tac light is just as important for non-LE or LE applications. At night or dim light, which is roughly have the time, the ability to illuminate your threat is critical. The Gen 2 essentially requires your reactionary hand be devoted to illumination (unless you are going to flip on the light... which opens up another can of worms). By attaching the light to the weapon your reactionary hand is always free to apply restraints, use the phone or operate other mechanical devices... like a door or car ignition... to get the hell off the X.

If given the option of a Gen 2 or Gen 4, I reiterate my choice for the Gen 4. The higher price for me is worth the improved ergos and tac rail functions. I also will not have to be concerned with what the ape who owned it before did or did not do to the weapon.

Agreed. My pref's in order are Gen 4, Gen 3 RTF2, Gen 3. The 1st Gen and the two Gen 2 G19s I have owned could not shoot with the Gen 3s or the Gen 4 mechanical accuracy wise. All have been reliable as Glock legend for me. I really want the high traction grip surfaces and don't care for the smooth feel of the Gen 2.

The whole light mounting thing - I resisted that for years but have had it thoroughly demonstrated in a night shoot portion of a class how much easier problem solving was with a weapon mounted light.

okie john
03-22-12, 16:01
I have found several lightly used 2nd gen G-19s for sale well under 400 bucks. Some even have night sights.

Can you post a link--several of us here are looking for Gen2 G19s, and that price is excellent.

Thanks,

Okie John

brickboy240
03-26-12, 10:26
Well...crap!

My "source" fell through. Actually, they only had a few (police trades) G19s and they sold rather quick.

They DO still have several really well kept police trade 2nd gen Glock 17s...many with factory Tru Dot sights. Prices still under 400 bucks. Awful tempting to pick one up...seeing my 2nd gen G22 had been so stellar.

I just don't know if it is worth the roll of the dice to risk it on a 4th gen G19. Is it mostly the extractor issue that is the real wart with this generation of Glocks? If so....doesn't Lone Wolf or some other maker, produce a replacement extractor? That might not be the end of the world.

I also made the mistake of handling an M&P fullsize 9mm and the Walther PPQ this past weekend. The M&P is nice, but the trigger was God-awful. Not Sigma bad....but worse than most stock Glock triggers. The PPQ was amazingly nice and had a VERY good trigger right out of the box. Bad thing is that the PPQ is fairly new and not as "proven" as the G19 or even the M&P.

Since Glock is having teething problems with the 4th gen guns....is it fair to even look at the M&P or PPQ? I just don't know enough about those guns and they have not been around long enough.

Decisions.....decisions! LOL

- brickboy240

Shokr21
03-26-12, 11:33
Care to share? I'd like to have a 2nd gen g17.

Sharing is Caring for the record anyway!

brickboy240
03-26-12, 12:11
http://www.robertsontradingpost.com/inventory.htm

They still have many 2nd gen Tampa PD trade in guns. Call them...many things they have don't get listed on the site.

I saw photos of the G17s on Guns America last week and they looked amazing for 1994-96 era police carry Glocks. I bought my G22 from them many years ago and it too has been amazing and still trouble free.

- brickboy240

Shokr21
03-26-12, 12:23
Thanks for the link.

brickboy240
03-27-12, 15:18
Robertsons are good people!

They only charge 10 bucks to ship and are super nice to deal with. My G22 was nearly new on the inside and after about 8 years....I swear I cannot recall one bobble out of the pistol...ever. For 330 bucks...that is a steal in anybody's book.

You hear many people poo poo the 40 caliber Glocks (because a few apparently ran lead rounds and K-b'd the things) but I cannot find fault with the G22. What else could I buy for 330 bucks that is that trouble free and holds 15rds of 40?

The other plus of the G22 was that it fit in the G17s holster.

There are tons of lightly used G22s on the used market and if you ask me, they are really good buys.

- brickboy240