PDA

View Full Version : 16" Barrel vs 14.5"+Pinned Flash Hider

SigFanM4
03-21-12, 16:42
I've been reading a lot on the forum in preparation for building an AR. One thing I'm not sure of is the choice between a 16" barrel and a 14.5" barrel with a pinned FH. Is one preferable to the other. Is it a matter of rifle purpose? I'm just curious what factors drive this decision.

товарищ
03-21-12, 17:11
One isn't better than the other. 16" is recommended because it's easier for the shooter to change their muzzle device.

PrivateCitizen
03-21-12, 17:20
There are no appreciable/detrimental functional/technical differences.

Some prefer the ability to swap muzzle devices, some perceive a value to the shorter barrel.

But any differences are purely personal/cosmetic. On a practical level they are the same.

bookin
03-21-12, 17:31
There are no appreciable/detrimental functional/technical differences.

Some prefer the ability to swap muzzle devices, some perceive a value to the shorter barrel.

But any differences are purely personal/cosmetic. On a practical level they are the same.

That pretty much covers it. I personally went with the pinned 14.5", but I have no intention of changing the muzzle device. So I went with the shortest/lightest setup I could get.

SigFanM4
03-21-12, 17:37
Thank you for the replies.

badness
03-21-12, 17:38
If this is your first ar, i would not recommend going with 14.5. You WILL end up changing your mind about something. Whether it being the muzzle device, going with a pinned fsb or low pro gas block, or changing out your rails. Having a permmed FH will make changing any of that a lot more difficult.

bookin
03-21-12, 17:55
If this is your first ar, i would not recommend going with 14.5. You WILL end up changing your mind about something. Whether it being the muzzle device, going with a pinned fsb or low pro gas block, or changing out your rails. Having a permmed FH will make changing any of that a lot more difficult.

That's good advice. You probably won't realize exactly what you want until after you get your first one.

Casull
03-21-12, 18:10
I for sure agree with going 16" first. Get a 14" when you know what's up and can appreciate it. I don't own a 14" yet but I know what I'd want on one now after learning how I personally like things. We're all different.

556noob
03-21-12, 18:34
IMO, it is purely aesthetic. I doubt you'll lose much MV when barrel is cut down to 14.5.

Casull
03-21-12, 18:36
Bit of weight shaved, bit more swingability, shorter, less dwell time in front of the gas block making fore a little nicer running.

556noob
03-21-12, 18:38
Other than being stuck with the muzzle device of your choice, you may want to consider also the cost of cutting, re-threading and pinning.

Not to say PINNED is not reversible but unpinning it will probably leave you with an unusable MD if you so decide to change to something else.

seb5
03-21-12, 20:03
6 of 1 half dozen of the other or for me 2 16's and 3 14.5's. I very much prefer the 14.5". I don't think that if you own one it has to be 16" but I do believe you'd better really do more than think, contemplate, and decide. You need to handle both before making a decision. My 2 16's are my precision rifle and the lightweight I built for my wife on a DD middie LW which I'll probably have cut to 14.7 and pin the Battcomp on it.

broylz
03-21-12, 20:06
cost of cutting, rethreading and pinning are almost not morth worrying about. a properly pinned and welded FH can be drilled off with a small amount of effort. the other option is silver soldered and i know of at least one person who has had this done and redone with no ill effects. the initial cost is the same for most everyone on their barrels, 14.5 or 16"

the biggest reason i would get 16" for a new guy is the handguards more than the flash hider. after swapping my carbine plastic grips out for a free float tube, it gives you an idea of what all is entailed in the process a bit better and a pinned FH would make it all but impossible with the exception of having it drilled and repinned as i stated above.

my current rifle is a 16" carbine with a rifle length tube. my next build will be a lightweight 14.5 midlength with the free float tube i want installed initially. ive shot alot of different muzzle devices and im fine with any of them. i prefer a flash hider to a brake but there are alot of people who prefer the opposite and thats a matter of personal choice. all of these little details you can work out easier on a 16 but its not impossible with a 14.5

Draufganger
07-22-12, 02:56
IMO, it is purely aesthetic. I doubt you'll lose much MV when barrel is cut down to 14.5.

You lose about 50m from the fragmentation range for the 5.56, which imo is alot. For m193 100 vs 150m and for m855 50 vs 100m. Where this would matter most is hunting and possible wrol / shtf events.

Grizzly16
07-22-12, 06:53
You lose about 50m from the fragmentation range for the 5.56, which imo is alot. For m193 100 vs 150m and for m855 50 vs 100m. Where this would matter most is hunting and possible wrol / shtf events.

Why are you using 855 or 193 and depending on fragmentation for hunting/self defense when there are so many other better loads available.

To the op, after using 16", 14.5 pinned and some 12.5" ars my preference to own would be 12.5/other sbr, then 14.5 pinned then 16.

The 1.5" isn't a huge difference but it does make leaning around obstacles a little easier with it.

rob_s
07-22-12, 07:58
One isn't better than the other. 16" is recommended because it's easier for the shooter to change their muzzle device.

It's not just about muzzle device but also all it the parts that cannot be removed with the muzzle device in place. Yes, in most cases there are alternative products available but it will limit your choices.

Ultimately all these threads are is people defending their own choices. Understand what you're getting into either way and drive on. Personally, and for my use, I've never found any advantage to 1" of difference in length, and I've never seen anyone else that took advantage of it either. I am not, however, getting in and out of cars, clearing rooms, etc. but even then, most that are doing those things are similarly just defending their own choices. Don't get fooled into thinking that just because someone "does this shit for a living" means they are making wholly rational choices un-influenced by peer pressure, aesthetics, or similarly stupid criteria as everyone else.

Draufganger
07-22-12, 08:49
Why are you using 855 or 193 and depending on fragmentation for hunting/self defense when there are so many other better loads available.
I dont, i use 7.62x39mm. But if i had an AR, which i wish one day to have, i would use these, especially the M193, for its relatively cheap compared to modern heavier expanding bullets and im under the impression the damage it does vs. expanding round is bigger within the reliable fragmentation range.

highlighter
07-22-12, 09:13
I like the shorter one.

I-M4-REAL
07-22-12, 10:53
I've been reading a lot on the forum in preparation for building an AR. One thing I'm not sure of is the choice between a 16" barrel and a 14.5" barrel with a pinned FH. Is one preferable to the other. Is it a matter of rifle purpose? I'm just curious what factors drive this decision.
You got it! "RIFLE PURPOSE"!Longer bbl = more power / distance even if it's only an inch, just like a pistol bbl.

Grizzly16
07-22-12, 12:18
I dont, i use 7.62x39mm. But if i had an AR, which i wish one day to have, i would use these, especially the M193, for its relatively cheap compared to modern heavier expanding bullets and im under the impression the damage it does vs. expanding round is bigger within the reliable fragmentation range.

You are under the wrong impression:
193 from 10ft with little damage:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26905
General discussion of 5.56 rounds:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881