PDA

View Full Version : Sr556c Overgassed?

TXinfidel
03-21-12, 20:51
I had this posted in the General forum with little response. any ideas?

Hi guys this is my first post on the forums, but I've always been a fan and this has always been my go-to resource to rise above the bullshit and backwoods redneck retard myths that present themselves in the firearms community. Before anyone asks why I have selected the SR556, it should be known that I work for a large FFL dealer here in Texas and Ruger was nice enough to gift it to me for personal usage. I own several ARs (LWRC, LMT, Noveske, Colt and a Bushy) so please spare me on the "just go out and buy a real gun" speech.
Anyway, I've put around 7,000 rounds through it now and have had zero signs of carrier tilt and not one malfunction that I can honestly remember. The rifle has an adjustable piston system and last week I replaced the action spring and added an h2 buffer. (long overdue) With all this and with the piston on setting 1, I ran 550 rounds of AE223 and I did not have a single malfunction and the bolt locked to the rear on empty every single time. Also my brass was ejecting at 4:00 consistently. Now my question, am I safe to ASSume this thing is really over-gassed?

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...72108342_n.jpg

GTifosi
03-21-12, 22:39
Defective link

Tokarev
03-23-12, 06:47
Have you thought about using a VLTOR A5 buffer and tube?

TXinfidel
03-24-12, 21:54
What will a VLTOR tube improve? I was also looking into a PWS tube.

C4IGrant
03-24-12, 21:57
I am pretty much of the opinion that most all piston AR's are over gassed.

C4

Tokarev
03-24-12, 23:20
What will a VLTOR tube improve? I was also looking into a PWS tube.

How does your Ruger run on other brands/types of ammo? Does it cycle everything you've tried on the smallest gas setting?

The VLTOR A5 provides a heavier buffer and longer recoil spring than can be had in a conventional carbine buffer tube. VLTOR also makes their A5 buffer in a couple different weights depending on your expected use.