PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy my first AR15

Remington S.
03-21-12, 22:54
Hello guys, if this post is not in the correct place please let me know and i will move it to the correct place in the forum.

I am by no means new to fire arms but the ar15 has proven to be an illusive beast. I am looking to purchase my first ar15 in the upcoming weeks and i am looking for advice on all fronts of my decision.

I have tried using the search on the forum so please do not refer me to that, I am sorry for the tone but i did not see the info i was looking for so I am reaching out. Secondly i own a Kimber Customer II and have all the gear i need for it plus some. I have an sks with many stripper clips and the proper web gear to use the weapon. I own several shot guns + a .22lr.

I have taken the time to fire several of my friends, a 16inch dpms (quite entry level) and a RRA 20 inch (decked out with some cool stuff)

I am looking to use the rifle for several things. Home defense/liberty gun, a light weight predator gun and fun at the range. The primary focus of the rifle will be a tactical carbine, I understand that a weapon modded for this type use will not be the best for a reason two of owning the rifle[U]

Having a weapon that is reliable is the most important thing to me, it must go bang every time. Second is accuracy, I plan to add optics to the rifle. Mil spec would be nice for the sake of parts and interchangeability but from the reading i have done it is not an end all (correct me if I am wrong on this) Lastly I feel like I have made up my mind on a 20inch barrel (I am objective and will listen to any good reason to do another length) and I would like it to come with a free float quad rail out of the box (I am down with adding after market parts if it saves me some cash)

The cash supply dictates that i must spend under 1100$ gun only. Like i stated earlier, I am not new to firearms and understand the cost of getting extra gear and ammunition, the 1100$ gun only give me room to move on the cost of other items.

Please help ^^

VIP3R 237
03-21-12, 23:11
I would highly recommend using the search function but for shits and giggles here are my thoughts:
Why 20 inch? A 16 will probably do everything you'll ever need in a lighter more maneuverable package. As far as guns go itd be hard to not go with a colt 6920 which you can find for under 1k from g and r tactical. Colts are both reliable and accurate. Add rails later if you want. You mentioned dpms and rra, id stay clear from either brands as they have both been known to use lower quality materials and/or manufacturing processes.

DeltaSierra
03-21-12, 23:34
20 inch barrel? Why?

What do you want, a home defense rifle (set up as such) a predator rifle (which would be set up differently from a home defense rifle) or a range toy?

Man, I don't even know where to start...

Well, it is worth a shot..... Try the search button... You could have found the answers to almost all of your questions within a couple of minutes....

DeltaSierra
03-21-12, 23:42
. As far as guns go itd be hard to not go with a colt 6920 which you can find for under 1k from g and r tactical. .

Solid advice...

Start out with a basic carbine (Colt 6920) and add accessories later - no point in slapping a bunch of garbage on your rifle that you don't need.

Iraqgunz
03-21-12, 23:50
I'll make it real easy since you didn't want to use the search button. Get a Colt 6920 which should be just under 1000.00.

If you are on a tight budget as indicated then buy a pistol, mags and ammo. Quite simply because an AR needs ammo and mags and if you are counting pennies it's not the time to buy.

Is there a reason why you can't wait?

anthony1
03-22-12, 00:07
These guys know alot more than me about ARs. l have a colt 6920 its good but if l were to do it all over again l would have got the colt 6720 instead.

svtpwnz
03-22-12, 06:50
As others here have stated, steer clear of DPMS and RRA if you are looking for dependability. You will be well served buying a Colt 6920 or a BCM as both are mil spec and excellent CQB rifles that will fit right in to what you want to do. A 20" barrel really makes no sense for what you are going to use this for and just adds weight. I would also recommend Daniel Defense and LMT rifles if you are willing to add a few more bucks to your budget.