PDA

View Full Version : Proper reload with a SCAR

Alaskapopo
03-22-12, 00:09
I have been playing with my new rifle and it seemed easier to pull back on the charging handle after the reload vs activating the bolt stop in traditional AR15 fashion. What do you guys do?
Pat

Fairweather8588
03-22-12, 00:18
Bolt stop/AR-15 style in the limited rounds I've put through my 16. Maybe just muscle memory or instinct, although I'm sure you can't go wrong with the charging handle design of the SCAR

Kyohte
03-22-12, 00:44
I find myself using the charging handle, which is unusual as this obviously isn't the method I have used for any other rifle. I agree that it seems easy and feels natural.

Failure2Stop
03-22-12, 00:52
I found the CH to be easier to find with either hand and without enough of a time difference to make me worry about it.

KG_mauserman
03-22-12, 08:54
I find myself using the charging handle. I find that it just feels right to use the charging handle vs. the bolt release.

QuietShootr
03-22-12, 09:17
I had to stop and think about it, but I think I've just been hitting the charging handle. It seems like it flows a little better to insert the mag, and just keep the gross movement going - sweep the edge of my hand up and then push it back to the forend. I'll consciously try it both ways and see how it comes out.

G-lock
03-22-12, 20:19
I too have found I much prefer the charging handle. I think my BAD levers have somewhat spoiled me, the CH is very much like the HKs I spent many years shooting.

William B.
03-22-12, 20:40
Although it wasn't a SCAR, I found myself using the charging handle without thinking about it during the day we spent with the FAL in a foreign weapons course I attended. It seemed to take far less concentration than the bolt release.

Voodoo_Man
03-22-12, 20:58
I was doing some dryfire reload drills today with my scar.

Trying both variants.

CH all the way. At the f2s class I took we did a whole string on reloads and the charging handle works well.

Clint
03-22-12, 21:12
In addition, with the CH on the left, the carrier can be locked back with the left hand.

Kyohte
03-22-12, 21:30
Although it wasn't a SCAR, I found myself using the charging handle without thinking about it during the day we spent with the FAL in a foreign weapons course I attended. It seemed to take far less concentration than the bolt release.

I never did that with my FAL. The bolt release was in a good spot for me on an FAL. More importantly, I think, is that on the FAL, there is much more motion involved in using the charging handle, as it is non-reciprocating.

William B.
03-22-12, 22:24
That's a great point about the non-reciprocating charging handle. I had only one day with the FAL, so I wouldn't call myself an expert on it by any means. I guess this isn't a factor for SCAR owners, though.

liquidsniper
03-24-12, 00:06
I too use the ch to send the bolt home. I use the index on the finger method when loading a mag. So my thumb is not in position to hit the release. Same with an ar, I index my finger and use the heel of my hand to smack the release. I find that after putting in the mag it is natural for my hand to roll to the ch and I use just my forefinger and some of my middle under the middle joint to pull back on the handle and release and return my support hand out front. feels natural been doing it since day one with the scar.

ColdDeadHands
03-28-12, 10:43
I hit the CH. On a side note; if I "ride" it home it fails to chamber the round correctly.

QuietShootr
03-28-12, 10:52
Hijack:

How are you guys slinging your SCARs so that you don't foul the charging handle? I am running mine as a singlepoint right now because having it attached to the rail just gives me too much shit to have to loop my hand through, IMO, and when I was running a two-point, I induced a malfunction by partially opening the bolt with the sling when I slung it to my left, ejection port in (as I have trained). I'm sorely tempted to move the CH to the right but I hate to give up the easy one-hand manipulation.

Voodoo_Man
03-28-12, 17:41
I only run singlepoint.

Two point was never my style.

Alaskapopo
03-28-12, 20:02
I only run singlepoint.

Two point was never my style.

Back when I carred about style I too had a single point sling but after using them and getting smacked in the nuts in transition drills I quickly learned the value of a two point sling. It should be about function not style.
Pat

SteyrAUG
03-28-12, 22:46
Hijack:

How are you guys slinging your SCARs so that you don't foul the charging handle? I am running mine as a singlepoint right now because having it attached to the rail just gives me too much shit to have to loop my hand through, IMO, and when I was running a two-point, I induced a malfunction by partially opening the bolt with the sling when I slung it to my left, ejection port in (as I have trained). I'm sorely tempted to move the CH to the right but I hate to give up the easy one-hand manipulation.

Why not put the charging handle on the right and go over the top Galil style? With a left handed charging handle I'd constantly worry about hanging it on cover.

QuietShootr
03-29-12, 00:04
Why not put the charging handle on the right and go over the top Galil style? With a left handed charging handle I'd constantly worry about hanging it on cover.

Little difficult to go over the top with a TA11 mounted, unless I rotate it totally 90 degrees sideways.

Scar face
03-29-12, 04:56
I run mine with 2 point sling through the back loop hole on the stock, and QD on the front at 9 o'clock rail. Most SCARer run theirs this way. Here's why the other solutions don't work for me;

Attachment points on the rifle : the front one is fine, but the back, especially the top loop, is too close to my mount. I hate to have a metal hook that is always there near my nose/mount and see it at the bottom of my vision the whole time!

QD on the top rail, or the back portion of side rail : It is not directly interferes with charging handle, but blocking the way of how your hand comes to find the charging handle.

QD at the bottom rail : Interferes with mag change, sometimes.

Move the charging handle to the right : Silly thing to do if you have an optic, unless you give up one hand operation entirely.

One point sling : Other than advantage in easier to weak-side transition, it doesn't offer any other advantages. Plus, a good 2 point sling these day can be converted to one point in a second if you "EVER" find yourself in a situation where you need one.

Make sure the sling goes under your armpit and elbow on the left side, though, with or without vertical grip. That's how you use 2 point sling to stabilize the rifle. Sorry for a long post, and feel free to hop over to FNFORUM.net to check out our picture thread. You'll get a lot more ideas and info.

Voodoo_Man
03-29-12, 05:52
Back when I carred about style I too had a single point sling but after using them and getting smacked in the nuts in transition drills I quickly learned the value of a two point sling. It should be about function not style.
Pat

I can honestly say I have never touched my package with any firearm during transition with a single point.

mini4m3
03-29-12, 06:22
Between shooting AKs/Galils I would have no problem going 'up and over' to charge my Scar16 if I switched the position of the charging handle. However I have a TR24 scope up top now and its just not as feasible as it would be otherwise.

The only time I've had issues is during a competition where I ended up catching myself on the reciprocating CH after a run and jump to prone. This was also the first day I ever shot it but I caused the problem either way.

Even though I did cause the problem, it was super easy to fix because the CH was right there. Live by the reciprocating CH, die by the reciprocating CH.

ColdDeadHands
03-29-12, 07:47
Hijack:

I use the MS3 sling - best of both worlds imo. By the rear attachment point I run a key ring Steve Fisher style and all the way to the front i use the RSA.

Voodoo_Man
03-29-12, 07:53
I use the MS3 sling - best of both worlds imo. By the rear attachment point I run a key ring Steve Fisher style and all the way to the front i use the RSA.

Pix? I've been looking for something.

G-lock
03-29-12, 08:06
I can honestly say I have never touched my package with any firearm during transition with a single point.

Me niether, but my food blister prevents that:D

ColdDeadHands
03-29-12, 08:14

I'll get a pic by tomorrow the latest. It's raining today and I don't feel like wiping the SCAR down right now. :D

QuietShootr
03-29-12, 09:01
I'll get a pic by tomorrow the latest. It's raining today and I don't feel like wiping the SCAR down right now. :D

Oh FFS...a little rain isn't going to hurt it....:p

cqbdriver
03-29-12, 09:08

About 2:10, Steve discusses the sling hardware:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzLesJdCvnQ

G-lock
03-29-12, 09:44
I went with the split/ring key mod as well. Works much better than the factory mount and it helps the sling articulate when switching shoulders.

jonconsiglio
03-29-12, 10:34
I've tried it both ways as well as different sling set ups. I don't run my SCAR L as much as I used to, but I run my SCAR H much more often. I set both of them up similar to my ARs and try to run them similarly as well.

I release the bolt with the catch and not the charging handle, though I've tried it both ways. I guess after doing it for so many years with my ARs, it was just the normal thing for me to do, I guess.

I do like the fact that I can pull the charging handle to the rear and use my thumb to lock it back.

As for my slings, I run VCAS slings on both. For the H, I attach it to the right side of the stock and to the front left where the attachment point is. Once those Tango Down side rails are available and I actually get around to ordering a couple sets, I'll attach the front near the barrel nut. Right now it's rigged with 550 cord.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/JJCCMC/IMG_2020.jpg

QuietShootr
03-31-12, 21:52
I broke down and tried a VCAS on my SCAR-H today.

Holy shit - I wish someone had smacked me upside the head and made me try one of these before. Talk about a whole different feel from what I had been using.

I mounted a fixed sling loop on the forward edge of the rail instead of clipping it to the eye using an HK hook. Simple, easy to use, nothing you don't need. Maybe a padded one might eat a hole in my neck a little slower, but other than that, I'm not sure how you could improve on this.

Voodoo_Man
04-01-12, 08:57
About 2:10, Steve discusses the sling hardware:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzLesJdCvnQ

Awesome and simple.

*heads out door to home depot*

mini4m3
04-01-12, 15:20
Awesome and simple.

*heads out door to home depot*

I use a heavy duty (thick-ish) 1'' key ring at the front and rear. I was going to buy a RSA but just spent another 40 cents and got a second key ring.

I use it with a MS/3 sling and it works great.

QuietShootr
04-03-12, 21:09
Took my first hike with the VCAS today. No hot spots, rifle rode right where I wanted it to, and it's easy to assume shooting positions from the march. Good shit. I guess that Vickers guy knows a thing or two about carrying a long gun:D