PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had this type of malfunction?

ddnguyen9
03-22-12, 05:36
So I went to an outdoor range a few months ago with my M4 and about 500 rounds of Winchester .223 55 gram FMJ. After a few hundred rounds, a round got stuck above the BCG. The round did not fire. It was a pain to get it removed and I feared that my rifle was damaged. Unfortunately the rest of the afternoon, there were no issues. I have shot my M4 numerous times afterwards and never had the malfunction again.

Anyone experience this before? Thoughts?

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/b3ec9b02.jpg

Slvr Surfr
03-22-12, 07:17
That is a bolt overide malfunction. While uncommon, it happens. Here is a good vid by Kyle Lamb for how to fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqLnBd1udM&context=C4052dfeADvjVQa1PpcFNbrzqMLZiny6Uyb4lMoSQ5QuWXT8STJww=

MistWolf
03-22-12, 07:38
Is it still a Bolt over when the bolt is under the jammed round?

It may be mag related. Lips aren't hold the cartridge right and popped out of the mag

5pins
03-22-12, 08:58
More then likely a bad mag but a bad mag catch spring or impropriety installed mag catch could also be the problem. Looking at your pic the mag catch looks like it needs to be turned in some.

Zhurdan
03-22-12, 09:23
Is it still a Bolt over when the bolt is under the jammed round?

It may be mag related. Lips aren't hold the cartridge right and popped out of the mag

I think the missing word that you didn't include is "ride". Bolt Override. It's not a physical description of over or under, but that the bolt over road the bullets path (function)... at least as I understand it.

rob_s
03-22-12, 09:51
One more reason to get quality training with your firearm. Anyone that's been to even a half-assed course should have at least been exposed to this and know EXACTLY what to do with it.

ETA:
something to add to the VTAC video is that you can push in on the bottom of the bolt catch to prevent the bolt from moving forward when you smack the charging handle forward,

arptsprt
03-22-12, 10:08
And clear it blindfolded! (took Pannone's course a few weeks ago :-) ).

transition2secondary
03-22-12, 10:20
One more reason to get quality training with your firearm. Anyone that's been to even a half-assed course should have at least been exposed to this and know EXACTLY what to do with it.

ETA:
something to add to the VTAC video is that you can push in on the bottom of the bolt catch to prevent the bolt from moving forward when you smack the charging handle forward,

True. It's been covered in every carbine course I've attended. By the way, in that VTAC you tube link above, I noticed on the double feed malfunction that the shooter dropped the mag first rather that locking the bolt to the rear. I was surprised this wasn't pointed out to the viewer (or the shooter for that matter - it even appeared as though it was difficult to remove the mag).

Failure2Stop
03-22-12, 12:07
True. It's been covered in every carbine course I've attended. By the way, in that VTAC you tube link above, I noticed on the double feed malfunction that the shooter dropped the mag first rather that locking the bolt to the rear. I was surprised this wasn't pointed out to the viewer (or the shooter for that matter - it even appeared as though it was difficult to remove the mag).

I am testing the concept of tearing out the mag immediately with all feedway/charging handle impingements.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

MessedUpMike
03-22-12, 21:55
I had that happen to my first AR, the first time I took it out shooting. Trashed the junk mag, went to using good mags and never had that problem again.

ddnguyen9
03-22-12, 23:19
I use Magpul PMAGs (30 rounders with the window). This was my first and only malfunction. I have since shot my m4 numerous times with the magazines and no issues.

Failure2Stop
03-22-12, 23:40
Did the stoppage occur while firing or while manipulating the carbine?

Norseman
03-23-12, 09:43
I have seen this a couple of times over the last ten or so years during training. It would normally occur during "maintenance" training when shooting high volume round counts with GI mags that were getting banged around a lot during reloads and such. It can and does happen.

We always just treated it like a class 3 malfunction, look, lock, strip, work, tap, rack, and continue to fire.

Interesting that your malfunction happened with the P-Mag, when we migrated away from the GI's to the P-mags, reliability went way up.

Sticks
03-24-12, 05:41

That and the three other common malfunctions.

Know by feel, drop the mag, fix the problem, reload and fire (not blindfolded).

Now to incorporate all this while finding cover...

A class that actually spends time on how to identify, and clear those malfunctions quickly and efficiently is worth the price of admission alone.

Bobert0989
03-24-12, 12:23
BAD LEVER ISSUE!

Just kidding, I doubt very seriously it is an issue here, but I'm surprised that nobody has said anything about it. I never had any issues with mine but hey, to each his own!

<Comic Relief> :jester:

John_Burns
03-24-12, 15:42

That and the three other common malfunctions.

Know by feel, drop the mag, fix the problem, reload and fire (not blindfolded).

Now to incorporate all this while finding cover...

A class that actually spends time on how to identify, and clear those malfunctions quickly and efficiently is worth the price of admission alone.

Mike was adamant that we learn to clear these and other malfunctions without looking, hence the blindfolds.

His points were:

Statistically, if you have to clear a malfunction under stress you will be doing this more likely than not in the dark.

If you are mil and have NOD then the “look” part will require you to refocus your NOD to be able to "look" at the gun.

If you are LE/Mil/civilian and using white light then the “look” part will require you to shine your light on the gun and yourself to be able to "look" at the gun.

While I have never been in a gunfight I will take his advice that both of the above courses of action are less than optimal. He also thought that moving your vision to the gun even in broad daylight was a bad plan as your situational awareness goes right out the window.

As Sticks and pomyc have said, learning to diagnose the AR malfunctions from the charging handle and the appropriate way to fix those malfunctions without using vison was money well spent.

As a side note, the tacticool twirling gun speed reload technique that has a shooter looking in his chamber before a speed reload seems even sillier if we factor in no light or low light situations.

Robb Jensen
03-24-12, 16:41
Its a mag issue. Whenever I experience a mag related stoppage like that I destroy the mag and throw it away.

Sticks
03-24-12, 19:16
Its a mag issue. Whenever I experience a mag related stoppage like that I destroy the mag and throw it away.

I can see tossing a mag if it constantly does that, but if it is only occasional or even once every three runs, then I would mark it, regulate it to training only so I would have that little variable tossed into my practice.

One of those things you have to have happen by chance to get really good at dealing with it.

Robb Jensen
03-24-12, 19:35
I'm a sponsored 3gun shooter and don't pay for mags if I did I might agree but even then probably not. Fail me once shame one you, fail me twice shame on me. My life, nor a stage, nor a match should be failed by a shit mag. YMMV.
If any mag does that once its going to do it again and get worse and worse and worse. In a fight for life maybe you'll have a secondary to transition to or maybe just step out of the kill zone and let your partner or teammate deal with YOUR problem (the d-bag who you should have been shooting).

GunTotinRedneck
03-25-12, 17:50
I've seen that happen before from guys at the Guardian Angle carbine course but its almost always with steel cased brown bear ammo.