PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use suppressor sights on their CCW?

glen
03-22-12, 08:55
To preface, I am setting up a G19 with an RMR and Ameriglo suppressor height 3 dot night sights for backup.

Ordered both and they were shipped by the store in one box. The Ameriglos were complete in package but the RMR package was just an empty box! :mad:

So, while sorting out this mess I ordered an RMR from somewhere else and while waiting for it to arrive I installed the Ameriglo suppressor sights on the G19 and shot a few hundred rounds with it.

I wasn't expecting much but a barely functional sight that I just wanted to work with the RMR but was pleasantly surprised they arent half bad primary sights at all!

The front sight was tall and narrow, and the rear notch was pleasantly airy and not stock Glock sight claustrophobic as I was expecting. In fact, I would say they compare favorably with my old stand-by Warren Tactical night sights.

The suppressor sights lack the deep U-notch of the Warren Tacticals but their tall tapering shape gives the same effect as the Warren Tacticals' trademark narrowed top rear sights, and they appear to have almost the same front to rear sight width ratios.

They have equally bright front and rear green tritium against the bright green front and dim yellow rears I prefer on the Warrens, but they are not a deal breaker for me.

I blacked out the white rings around the rear tritium to subdue the rear sights and they are now even better!

I've been carrying this G19 for a few weeks now and have not noticed any problems with the increased height of these sights. My holster takes these just fine and they haven't hung up on any of the drills or practice sessions I've done, even from concealment.

Here are a few pics, sorry, I just used my phone for these.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/g300d/9a108474.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/g300d/2eeb9303.jpg

Grizzly16
03-22-12, 09:23
I bet that would make one handed manipulations a little easier.

glen
03-22-12, 09:34
Yup, I do believe they would be, haven't practiced those with this setup yet though. With all that mass I kinda take for granted one hand manipulations won't be a problem :D

Guns-up.50
03-22-12, 09:58
Well one problem I could see is a cluttered sight pic, at night you will have 3 green and 1 red dot. In my expirence and opinion with a RMR black supressor sights worked better. No RMR the three dots would be good to go, but thats your call to make. Suppressor sights are great for indexing with a dot. Once its dotted let us know what you think about it at night...

glen
03-22-12, 10:19
Well one problem I could see is a cluttered sight pic, at night you will have 3 green and 1 red dot. In my expirence and opinion with a RMR black supressor sights worked better. No RMR the three dots would be good to go, but thats your call to make. Suppressor sights are great for indexing with a dot. Once its dotted let us know what you think about it at night...

I had considered that, I figured I would just black out the sights with a sharpie if they really cluttered things enough to make a difference. I was thinking its easier than retrofitting night sights later on if I decide I need them.

I'll update with night shots when I do get the RMR installed.

Aiannare
03-22-12, 12:38
Im planning a similar setup. Now im questioning wether to do this with a glock 17 or m&p 9l. Have you had a chance to shoot one with the RMR yet?

bikerdog
03-22-12, 13:13

Actually I have found they dont complicate things at. And one added advantage is at night they are much easier to index.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ggp2jz
03-22-12, 13:26
I run them on my m&p9

glen
03-23-12, 13:15
I did forget to mention that a local smith and I finished a friend's G19 with these exact same buis and an RMR. Have not checked it for confusing clutter at night but in the day I have not noticed any problems personally, I dont see the irons unless I look for them.

okie john
03-23-12, 13:38
Well one problem I could see is a cluttered sight pic, at night you will have 3 green and 1 red dot.

I had a G17 with an RMR-02 for a while. The red dot is far brighter than the green dots on night sights. I suppose you could get confused, but you'd have to work at it. Also, if it's so dark that a cluttered sight picture is a problem, then you'll probably need a WML to identify your target.

Okie John