PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the LED from SF G2L?

ra2bach
03-22-12, 14:29
I have a G2L that I want to replace the LED with a drop-in unit. the drop-in is listed for the G2L but I can't find a way to remove the stock LED.

Is this just a press fit or is there threads that need to be turned? I don't want to damage the stock unit by tinkering with it...

ra2bach
03-24-12, 13:11
thanks for all the help...

og556
03-24-12, 13:36
I wish I had an answer for you but may I suggest you post the question on Candlepowerforums as well ?

J_Dub_503
03-24-12, 13:43
I had to do some research to answer your question (I'm not a flashlight whore.) I'm guessing that you have the newer G2L with the sealed head (kx4), if so you'd need to replace the whole head with this (http://www.batteryjunction.com/surefire-kx4-bk.html) or this (http://www.batteryjunction.com/surefire-kx4d-bk.html). If it's the older version it will have an aluminum bezel and the assembly should drop freely.

Don't take what I said for "the answer", it's just what I could find through my own research. You'd be better off going to candlepowerforums and giving those maniacs a chance to help you.

ETA - Don't go too extreme on the lumen output as you'll kill the LED from lack of heat dissipation. 300 lumens max (for short periods) is what I gather.

ra2bach
03-25-12, 11:43
thanks for the reply guys. yes, I had to sign up at Candlepower forums to get and answer and sadly, it is what you have said - I have the KX4 head and it is not mess-aroundable-with... :(

sucks because G2L was listed as appropriate for this drop-in and I got the drop-in before the light so I dropped it into a G2 and now is not returnable.

on the upside, it is rated at 460 lumens and while I don't get the impression that it throws any better than some of my 240 lumen lights, the beam is incredibly wide and even throughout. I plan to use it for a sneek and peek light. just hope it doesn't melt the G2 head...

ddnguyen9
03-26-12, 03:17
I had an original 6P and I had to replace the entire head with a LED conversion. I believe it's the only way to do it.

uwe1
03-28-12, 11:49
thanks for the reply guys. yes, I had to sign up at Candlepower forums to get and answer and sadly, it is what you have said - I have the KX4 head and it is not mess-aroundable-with... :(

sucks because G2L was listed as appropriate for this drop-in and I got the drop-in before the light so I dropped it into a G2 and now is not returnable.

on the upside, it is rated at 460 lumens and while I don't get the impression that it throws any better than some of my 240 lumen lights, the beam is incredibly wide and even throughout. I plan to use it for a sneek and peek light. just hope it doesn't melt the G2 head...

Are you talking about the Thrunite drop-in engine?

I purchased with one of those and initially had it in a G2LED mounted to my training rifle for about 2K rounds. It still works fine, but I decided to put my Malkoff M61 back in for the extra insurance/reliabilty. I now carry the Thrunite in a 6P for general purpose and night walks.

If you don't mind sinking more money into the setup you can replace the polymer G2 head with an aluminum bezel.

http://www.oveready.com/a-parts/bezels/cat_24.html

ra2bach
03-29-12, 12:11
Are you talking about the Thrunite drop-in engine?

I purchased with one of those and initially had it in a G2LED mounted to my training rifle for about 2K rounds. It still works fine, but I decided to put my Malkoff M61 back in for the extra insurance/reliabilty. I now carry the Thrunite in a 6P for general purpose and night walks.

If you don't mind sinking more money into the setup you can replace the polymer G2 head with an aluminum bezel.

http://www.oveready.com/a-parts/bezels/cat_24.html

yes, it is the Thrunite. it seems to have a warmer tint than other LEDs I have which I understand is better in a hazy/foggy environment. in the G2 body/bezel I have it in currently, it throws a very wide but completely filled beam. throw is not as good, IMO, as the G2X. that may change with a different bezel, however...

thanks for the link. I ordered 2 - z44 bezels, one to place on a G2 with a TNVC drop-in and another to replace the KX4 from the G2L. going by the prices I'm seeing for the KX4 bezel, I might be able to sell the one from the G2L and recoup my entire cost.

but I might just end up keeping the 120 lumen KX4 on the G2L anyway, as a weapon light. it seems they're made for this purpose and the durability over an unproven drop-in might prove the better option.

I'm going to do some testing outdoors and around the house to see if my assumption is correct...