PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my p30??

Aiannare
03-22-12, 14:59
I love everything about it, except for the trigger. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm about to sell it for a glock 17 or m&p 9l, but could really use some advice.

Thanks!

FChen17213
03-22-12, 15:04
It's all up to you of course. I think the best thing is to just pick a system and shoot it. If it's the P30, get used to the trigger. Get at least 8-10 mags, a few cases of ammo, holster, mag pouch, etc and go shoot it. If you want to change to the Glock or M&P, go ahead and do it. Then get all the stuff you need for the weapon system and commit to it. The worst is to have a hodge podge of pistols and not know which one to really go to. Then you only have a few mags for each, maybe not have holsters for all of them etc. Just pick a good system and stick with it. That being said, the Glock would probably the cheapest overall with cheaper mags and plenty of spare parts.

Kevin P
03-22-12, 16:40
Plain and simple, just shoot it.

When you go to the range, work on your trigger press. Spend time learning how to shoot the gun. Yea some guns may be easier to learn then others but with time and training you will be good to go.

Personally I think too many people make a bigger deal about triggers then they need to. Honestly I have not come across a gun yet that I thought the trigger was horrible. Then again my first handgun that I bought and practiced with was a revolver. I shot it in DA only. I know of a few people who shoot revolvers that think along the same lines as I.

Although if you want to go to a Glock 17 then stick with the Glock and learn to shoot it. Glocks are great guns and whatever you decide become proficient with it.

ARonBoard
03-22-12, 16:57
What trigger does it have? Like the others say its just a process of commit and practice. I too am trying to find the platform that I am most happy with and was considering trying a P30. What do you not like about it?

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-22-12, 18:10
Practice

JonInWA
03-22-12, 18:17
Which trigger/action do you have? If it's DA/SA, and you don't like that, you could 1) have it worked on by a competant HK 'smith, or 2) hav it converted to LEM or LEM-light, etc.

Alternatively, as others have mentioned-simply devote yourself to a regimen of dedicated practice/training with it.

Or-sell it, and move on.

Best, Jon

Aiannare
03-22-12, 18:22
There is too much pre-travel that can not be shortened. I understand the "practice makes perfect" idea however I feel this is just not right for me. I probably do have too many pistols; p226 w/ srt and aep, STI spartan 1911, Taurus 686 and p30. I guess the frustrating part is that even in single action there is still a lot of pre travel.

I believe I have the v1 trigger to answer you question.

Clobbersauras
03-22-12, 18:30
How do you shoot with it? Have you timed yourself on drills with it VS your other pistols? I bet you would be surprised if you do.

Aiannare
03-22-12, 18:34
I have. I'm faster with it than the sig, but definitely less accurate.

ralph
03-22-12, 19:10
You could buy a snap-cap and practice with it. Would'nt cost alot, and you'd get to practice using the trigger. What everyone else said is right, you need to pick a system and commit to it. Sure, it'll take a little longer to get good with the P-30, But, with some snap-cap practice in the evenings when you have a few minutes, you'll probably improve quicker than you think. You've already spent the coin on it, Trade/Sell it for something else, and you're going to take a beating. I would'nt give up on it.The P-30 is a excellant pistol..world class,you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by learning it..

HKGuns
03-22-12, 19:23
Concur with practice. They're all different.

varoadking
03-22-12, 20:10
They talk about the 9mm M&P being inaccurate. The P30 has that over the M&P in spades as far as I'm concerned...

ralph
03-22-12, 21:04
They talk about the 9mm M&P being inaccurate. The P30 has that over the M&P in spades as far as I'm concerned...

I've got one of the M&P 9's with accuracy issues..There's no denying a P-30 is way more accurate.. not even a contest..Now, on the other hand..I'd bet my PPQ could give the P-30 a run for it's money...:)

lethal dose
03-22-12, 21:12
Triggers always suck. I just deal. No matter how much they suck, I've never noticed a significant decrease in performance due to this alone (in reference to crappy triggers on good guns). Overcome.

accce
03-22-12, 21:21
I love everything about it, except for the trigger. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm about to sell it for a glock 17 or m&p 9l, but could really use some advice.

Thanks!

Send it off to gray guns: http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/heckler-koch-pistols/

They do magic!

Striker
03-22-12, 21:29
I have. I'm faster with it than the sig, but definitely less accurate.

Between Glock, Sig and HK; I'm the fastest out of the gate with the Glock. That 5lb or so trigger pull makes it easier to get the first shot off quickly or at least quickly for me. HK, which to me has the stiffest trigger, is the slowest out of the gate. It's also the most accurate for me and I can feel the stiffness in the trigger in the SA mode as well, but for me, it gives the SA a more positive feel. The Sig is right in the middle. The trigger is smoother, so first shot is a little quicker than the HK, but not as quick as the Glock. And I could live with a little more feedback in the SA mode. It's more accurate than the Glock, but not quite as accurate as the HK.

Each gun has it's positives and negatives. I don't find the HK trigger all that bad, but it isn't great either. If that's the gun you've chosen over the others, I would just shoot it more and put the others aside for awhile. Your other choices are put a match grade barrel in the Glock, which should get it in the same accuracy ball park as the HK or carry the Sig.

I think pistols are about compromise. Unfortunately not one of them is perfect, including the vaunted 1911 and they all have their strengths and their weaknesses. Just depends on what is most important to you.

Matman87
03-22-12, 21:34
I say more practice with ONE gun. Doesnt matter if its the H&K, SIG, or Glock you want to buy, but get to one setup and master it. You'll find that once you master pistol craft in general, you'll have less of an issue with the trigger from one to the next. I know guys that LOVE their 1911 triggers, and others that prefer the P30 trigger or the Glock trigger. IT doesnt matter, your ability to pick one and go with it does matter.

E-man930
03-22-12, 21:36
Keep it.
Shoot it.
Shoot it some more.
Add a LEM hammer spring.
Shoot it.
Shoot it some more.
If you wait patiently H&K may have a surprise for all of the P30/HK45 series guns coming that will make you :D.

accce
03-22-12, 22:29
http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/heckler-koch-pistols/

These guys specialize in refining the HK trigger!!!

MAUSER202
03-22-12, 22:31
If you like the P30 so much but hate the trigger try a PPQ, similar ergo's and the best out of the box trigger I have felt.

Aiannare
03-22-12, 22:35
Thank you everyone for the feedback; it is greatly appreciated! I got out to NRA this evening and put 150 rounds down with a m&p 9L. I haven't been to the range for about 3 weeks. I haven't shot the p30 in about 6 weeks.

I started at 15', then to 21'. My accuracy was significantly better with the m&p than the p30. @ 21' I feel like ive been shooting 3" groups with the p30 which is very frustrating. Tonight I was shooting sub 1" grouPs at 15' and about 2" groups at 21'.

Maybe I'll give the p30 another 500 rounds and see if I feel differently but at this point I'm almost sold.

In regards to Hk possibly coming out with a "cure" for this, did you hear of something being released soon?

Thanks again everyone for the input!

Aiannare
03-22-12, 22:40
Also, I've heard of grey guns before. It's just seems to be such a shame that I must spend $350 on the trigger of an HK to get it to where I want! :(

JohnN
03-22-12, 23:13
In my opinion, changing up platforms is the biggest mistake someone who wishes to learn to use the P30 can make. You will never get significantly better with the LEM if you constantly change from one platform to another.

Do you have any formal training? If not, that may be part of your problem. If you put 5000rds thru the P30 using only that gun and you still feel it is not working for you than change but until then you probably haven't given it enough time.

Denali
03-22-12, 23:25

Thanks!

Not a thing, practice with it, it's not that bad!

mark7
03-22-12, 23:32
http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/heckler-koch-pistols/

These guys specialize in refining the HK trigger!!!

I have a P30 with Graygun's reduced reset carry perfection package, the trigger pull and reset are sweet- the trigger breaks sooo clean- worth every penny.

MikeCLeonard
03-22-12, 23:47
I agree with most of the posts above which say to just keep practicing and shooting the P30.

I've never been a big trigger freak though...as I never feel as though my shooting abilities have been held back simply by a trigger pull.

...Sure, I notice differences in triggers such as the P30 vs. Glock vs. 1911...but for whatever reason, I get used to whatever pull I'm working on withing 100 rounds or so.

I guess in the end, there are other attributes that are more important to me than the trigger pull...So if I loved everything else about a pistol besides it's trigger...then it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I personally chose the P30 over Glock even though I like the Glock trigger a little more.

Aiannare
03-22-12, 23:48
About how much was it all said and done? It's just hard to justify that on a gun that was already $800.

Kevin P
03-23-12, 00:06
You don't need to send your gun to GGI. Like I mentioned earlier spend it on practicing. You can almost get 2 cases (1k/case) for the price of sending your gun to GGI.

Aiannare
03-23-12, 00:09
I've got ya Kevin. Do you shoot a p30?

Striker
03-23-12, 00:23
To me it sounds like the M&P is the gun you want to run and the HK is something you're sort of trying out. If the Smith works for you, why not use that.

Aiannare
03-23-12, 00:26
I own the p30, and borrowed my friends m&p. I'm leaning more towards the m&p but obviously there are plenty of people on here saying the p30 is a superior firearm.

Mark71
03-23-12, 00:32
If you wait patiently H&K may have a surprise for all of the P30/HK45 series guns coming that will make you :D.

Really? Is it possible to give us some more info on this?

Thanks

Striker
03-23-12, 01:38
I own the p30, and borrowed my friends m&p. I'm leaning more towards the m&p but obviously there are plenty of people on here saying the p30 is a superior firearm.

Oh, I see. I thought you owned the M&P. Better? Ok, better to me is the one you run better. Technically speaking I also think the P30 is the better pistol, but if the M&P works better for you, then in your case, the P30 is not the better gun.

I also don't know what your experience level is, so I'll just say this. If you want the P30 to work for you, you need to shoot it and nothing else for awhile. But if you're not enjoying the gun, and I say this because it doesn't sound like you're shooting it, get something you will shoot and enjoy. Nothing worse than having a gun sit in the safe. You don't practice with it, so you never get proficient with it and you don't get to enjoy it. IMHO, there is no win there anywhere.

MegademiC
03-23-12, 01:59
Thank you everyone for the feedback; it is greatly appreciated! I got out to NRA this evening and put 150 rounds down with a m&p 9L. I haven't been to the range for about 3 weeks. I haven't shot the p30 in about 6 weeks.

I started at 15', then to 21'. My accuracy was significantly better with the m&p than the p30. @ 21' I feel like ive been shooting 3" groups with the p30 which is very frustrating. Tonight I was shooting sub 1" grouPs at 15' and about 2" groups at 21'.

Maybe I'll give the p30 another 500 rounds and see if I feel differently but at this point I'm almost sold.

In regards to Hk possibly coming out with a "cure" for this, did you hear of something being released soon?

Sounds like its trigger control. I've only dry fired HKs, and thought the trigger was fine, but most people that post about em seem to prefer the lem.

Either way you go, I'd suggest you get some snap caps and shoot the crap out of them, with the p30 in double action (if its da/sa). Once you can pull the double action back easily and not break your sight picture, your groups will improve. Then Single action will be a breeze.

It comes down to practice, no matter what platform you have.

Kevin P
03-23-12, 02:12
I've got ya Kevin. Do you shoot a p30?

Yes I do. I shot a gen 3 g19s before that. I am in no way defending or trying to say that the p30 is the gun for you. I am just pointing out my experience. The p30 works better for me and has the features I wanted. After all is said and done it is your pistol and your the one who is shooting it. So go with the gun you feel works best for you and has the features you are wanting. Then become proficient with it.

CoGT3
03-23-12, 07:50

Do you know something we don't? Please share :). I was getting ready to send my P30 to GGI but if HK has got something coming out similar to the match triggers on the USP series I will wait patiently.

E-man930
03-23-12, 08:36
Really? Is it possible to give us some more info on this?

Thanks

Can't say much, but at the last steel match I participated in I got to meet and talk to the HK shooting team - and let's just say after breaking the ice and sharing ideas I was informed HK Germany is evaluating a drop in solution that brings the reset travel down to minuscule levels - think 1911 like. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Other items are in the works - let's hope HK Germany listens and moves forward with this amazing solution.

Aiannare
03-23-12, 08:53
Can't say much, but at the last steel match I participated in I got to meet and talk to the HK shooting team - and let's just say after breaking the ice and sharing ideas I was informed HK Germany is evaluating a drop in solution that brings the reset travel down to minuscule levels - think 1911 like. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Other items are in the works - let's hope HK Germany listens and moves forward with this amazing solution.

If that's the case I have no problem keeping the p30! The question is when!

Reagans Rascals
03-23-12, 08:55

Thanks!

If you send it to me I'll send you a free thank you card :p

kidding aside :http://www.triggerwork.net/usp.html

djmorris
03-23-12, 08:56
Stop worrying about the trigger. You're over thinking it. Practice, practice, practice and you will not even notice it anymore. The P30 is an impeccable gun and it's going to be more accurate than just about any other gun of the same caliber. You've got the best 9MM/40 on the market; cherish it!!

gtmtnbiker98
03-23-12, 08:56
I wouldn't look for it too soon. HK is not quick to the market with anything, they do the testing, not the customer. They only release things when they are READY.

Aiannare
03-23-12, 10:27
Rascal, you are my new best friend!

03-23-12, 11:15
I've had my DA/SA version P-30 for about 2 years. The trigger has gotten smoother with use and I believe any issues with a DA/SA gun can be trained through. Mine is a carry/SD piece and I am loathe to modify it.
Dry fire and live, it will get smoother. Maybe a mainspring change?

Wolvee
03-23-12, 11:23

Thanks!

Send it to Bill Springfeild at triggerworks. It's never going to have teh trigger of either of those options you listed but it doesn't need to. You need to put the time and training into your gun. If you wanted a cheap gun, you should have bought a cheap gun from the start.

If you're not wiling spend the money or put in the time to be proficient, then you should get one of the other guns. that said, you'll still need to put the time into those guns as well.

ralph
03-23-12, 11:36
Send it to Bill Springfeild at triggerworks. It's never going to have teh trigger of either of those options you listed but it doesn't need to. You need to put the time and training into your gun. If you wanted a cheap gun, you should have bought a cheap gun from the start.

If you're not wiling spend the money or put in the time to be proficient, then you should get one of the other guns. that said, you'll still need to put the time into those guns as well.

I was wondering how long it'd be before someone mentioned Springfield..He's a hack...period. do a little research, there's more than enough evidence to support that..There was one gentleman, over at HKpro, (he might be a member here as well) Who took 6 HK's to Springfields house and dropped them off..He screwed up ALL 6! At about 1k a pop per pistol, I'd want someone who knows what he's doing...

Cazwell
03-23-12, 11:37
kidding aside :http://www.triggerwork.net/usp.html

That quite a price disparity relative to the other options. Have you had them do a trigger job? Do we have any first hand reports on their work?

majette
03-23-12, 11:42
I wouldn't look for it too soon. HK is not quick to the market with anything, they do the testing, not the customer. They only release things when they are READY.

this. i try to explain to people why i like hk's compared to other platforms, and why i feel the extra cost is justified. being an end user and not a beta tester gives me peace of mind.

my first usp lem i shot like crap until i spent 500 rounds dedicated to the platform. my speed and accuracy improved noticeably, was putting a few glock shooters to shame in idpa.

to the OP, if it does not work for you and you feel you have given it a chance, go with what you are more comfortable. try a beretta px4 dao, you will run back to the hk.

Wolvee
03-23-12, 12:06
I was wondering how long it'd be before someone mentioned Springfield..He's a hack...period. do a little research, there's more than enough evidence to support that..There was one gentleman, over at HKpro, (he might be a member here as well) Who took 6 HK's to Springfields house and dropped them off..He screwed up ALL 6! At about 1k a pop per pistol, I'd want someone who knows what he's doing...

He's got a lot more positive reviews that negative, maybe you should do a little research.

Hogsgunwild
03-23-12, 13:38
I agree with Ralph. I will use Bruce Gray and you send your guns to Springfield.

The old saying "Blank one blank, always a blank blanker" seems to apply to gunsmithing as well.

Ruin one gun, always known as a crappy gunsmith.

Lone_Ranger
03-23-12, 13:47
I didn't mind the P-30 trigger. I couldn't get over my grip covering the slide release, and keeping the slide from locking back. I sold it and went with a P-229.

Aiannare
03-23-12, 13:54
I can understand how I may seem like a noob to shooting with this thread. Tons of "shoot more" advice which I agree with. What needs to be undrstood is that I am not a first time shooter and I have shot it enough to still have dislikes towards the trigger system. I have probably put around 1500-2000 round down range with this particular firearm; more than enough to become somewhat acclimated to the system. I have a pretty short learning curve picking up firearms so although 2k rounds may not seem to be enough, for me it certianly is enough to "get used to" a firearm.

It's not that I can't hit paper with it and I'm blaming the trigger, I'm just saying the trigger is my only issue and that is the worst of all my firearms.

Obviously I didn't want a "cheap gun" which is why I bought an Hk. I hope you can understand that it's not necessarily paying the money , it's justifying the upgrade to the firearms worth. Since his is a quality pistol, I don't think spending half of the guns value on a "trigger job" is very practical.

I spoke with Bill Springfield about an hour ago; sounds like a very nice guy.

I will send my p30 to him Monday. Tonight I will hit the range for a "prework/postwork" in depth review. I will supply data and pictures so we can see if Bill Springfield's work is quality or not.

Does anyone have suggestions for my review? I plan on producing groupings from 15, 21, 30 and 45 feet; 2 rounds of 10 shots each.

Again, positive or negative, I greatly appreciate eveyones time and input regarding my situation. I have been a member for less than 48 hours and have been posting for less than 24 hours. I'm very happy I was referred to his website as it has been more helpful then I could have ever imagined. Thanks again gentlemen!

Hogsgunwild
03-23-12, 14:00

The ranges that you are shooting at don't necessarily give you the full picture of what the guns are capable of. One factor is perhaps the sights are set for ranges the are helpful close in on the gun you seem to shoot better where perhaps the other gun is better set up for a good sight picture at a further distance. Just a thought.

I can tell you that the 9MM M&P is pure luck / hit or miss on buying one that is accurate. My 9MM M&P FS has my preferred sights (Ameriglo Idot Pro's) and the Apex Tactical FSS and trigger and I still can only milk five or six inch groups out of it at 25 yards, even supported. On the other hand, I have rented .40 and 9MM H&k P30s in the standard and long-slide configurations and managed sub three inch groups with the each of these unmodified range rentals.

Shooters who try my 9MM FS M&P think it is nirvana by the smoothness of the trigger and great sight picture as I did until I really put the gun through it's paces and found out that it wasn't "all that".
I can shoot substantially tighter groups with my P2000 in .40 cal than my M&P FS 9MM.

Hogsgunwild
03-23-12, 14:39
Aiannare: Perhaps try using B16 NRA slow-fire targets at 25 yards for part of your comparison. If you are shooting shotgun patterns at 25 yards instead of groups, then, some training with an instructor for a half an hour or an hour can do wonders (short of a full two or three day course). I know it can be tiresome to hear the training thing parroted over and over but until I took my first real training course, I really couldn't give a totally accurate review of a gun as some guns are just easier to shoot accurately than others even though the inherent mechanical accuracy of them was close to the same. I looked like "Super Shooter" shooting custom 1911s at 15 yards for years. The gun and the range masked many of my deficiencies for years.

I have been shooting all of my life but it wasn't until my first real training course (a year and a half ago plus the practice and training since then) that my group sizes at 25 yards were more than cut in half. Now I can really see and wring the potential out of more of my guns and find the lemons.

Reagans Rascals
03-23-12, 15:03
That quite a price disparity relative to the other options. Have you had them do a trigger job? Do we have any first hand reports on their work?

haven't gotten any thing done by them first hand, but figured I'd pass them along to you as another option

C4IGrant
03-23-12, 15:35

Thanks!

Without reading all the other responses, I would say that you have an accurate and reliable weapon. So I would stick with it, get some training and buy ammo.

C4

C4IGrant
03-23-12, 15:37
He's got a lot more positive reviews that negative, maybe you should do a little research.

From people that KNOW about how to do trigger jobs, they think he is a Hack.

Bruce G. is considered one of the best in the industry so he would be the first choice.

C4

Wolvee
03-23-12, 16:44
From people that KNOW about how to do trigger jobs, they think he is a Hack.

Bruce G. is considered one of the best in the industry so he would be the first choice.

C4

and he charges out the butt because he knows it.

Striker
03-23-12, 16:59

Ok, but if you use that pistol to defend your life, how much is too much to spend? In other words, what's your life worth?

Pistol Shooter
03-23-12, 17:02

I'd much rather spend a few more dollars for a solid job from a well known reliable gunsmith than try to save a few bucks with someone who turns out questionable work.

HK's are just a bit pricey so I think aftermarket work on them can be expected to be the same. ;)

Wolvee
03-23-12, 17:29
There are only a few questioning his work.

As for how much is your life worth, the question is flawed. I dont know of anyone who has lost their life because of Bills work.

Striker
03-23-12, 17:59
There are only a few questioning his work.

As for how much is your life worth, the question is flawed. I dont know of anyone who has lost their life because of Bills work.

First, it was a rhetorical question. It was suppose invoke thought. I wasn't looking for an answer.

I'm not going to go look around to see how many people really are questioning his work, but his name has come up enough that I would be skeptical about using him. A P30 is a defense/duty pistol. You really want to bet your life on his work when there are people questioning his competency? Again, a rhetorical question. You were implying that BG charges too much for his work. Yet his work is considered by most to be exemplary. Excellence is expensive. YMMV.

ralph
03-23-12, 18:21

No, He charges out the butt because he knows WHAT HE"S DOING. As a example, when Bruce is done doing whatever he does to the internals (hammer, sear etc) these parts are then coated with a nickel finish,(nickel PTFE) this is done for a reason,any time you alter a part like say a hammer, and in the process you get under the surface hardening, (which is only a few thousanths thick) you expose the softer steel underneath, which if left exposed wears quickly and the pistol/rifle starts malfunctioning..By putting a nickel finish on the parts that were altered you now just made sure that these surfaces won't change with use..Something Springfield dosen't do..You get what you pay for..

Aiannare:
Do yourself a favor and and do a search on this board on B. Springfield, If you want a trigger job done, give Bruce Grey a call.. He's not cheap, But, he's not a hack either..

Wolvee
03-23-12, 18:35
No, He charges out the butt because he knows WHAT HE"S DOING. As a example, when Bruce is done doing whatever he does to the internals (hammer, sear etc) these parts are then coated with a nickel finish,(nickel PTFE) this is done for a reason,any time you alter a part like say a hammer, and in the process you get under the surface hardening, (which is only a few thousanths thick) you expose the softer steel underneath, which if left exposed wears quickly and the pistol/rifle starts malfunctioning..By putting a nickel finish on the parts that were altered you now just made sure that these surfaces won't change with use..Something Springfield dosen't do..You get what you pay for..

Aiannare:
Do yourself a favor and and do a search on this board on B. Springfield, If you want a trigger job done, give Bruce Grey a call.. He's not cheap, But, he's not a hack either..

Hogwash, What's your definition of quickly? I know tons of guns that have trigger jobs, have never had NiB or other coatings applied and have never had any malfunctions.

ralph
03-23-12, 18:49
About 2000 rnds is what I consider quickly, In my case that's about 2-3 months worth...Hogwash or not, the facts are once you get under the surface hardening, the softer steel under it will wear quickly, Over on HKpro, How many people had to send their pistols back to BS because it started malfunctioning? or the pull suddenly wasn't right? ever wonder why ? ^ what I posted above is why...All the bluster in the world isn't going to change those simple facts.... Another way of fixing this little problem is to reheat treat the parts, this way, the surface hardness is restored.. Which is probably why the "tons of guns that have trigger jobs"you mentioned, haven't had any problems, That or the owner(s) never shot them enough to find out they had a problem to begin with. Now I guess, the question is does BS reheat treat the parts he's altered? That's a good question..

E-man930
03-23-12, 21:08
Before you spend ANY money on trigger work, spend the $8 or $10 dollars and install a LEM hammer strut spring! It will clean up the trigger action immensely even though it actually adds slightly to the pull weight. Then decide if you want to go LEM.. Then spend the money on rounds down range before finally giving in to fancy trigger work from _____ gunsmith.

CoGT3
03-23-12, 21:24

Really interesting. Truly sounds like a "match trigger" package for the p30/hk45 world. Certainly will make me hold off on sending my p30 to GGI. Even better, was getting ready to buy a 45 acp HK. Was really leaning toward USP Tactical or HK45c even though the HK45 feels best in my hand. Will go ahead with HK45 given this news.

Anybody think it would be worthwhile to e-mail HK to reinforce how much interest there would be in drop in trigger upgrades? Can't hurt.

C4IGrant
03-23-12, 21:38

Quality and talented gunsmiths are few and far between. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for (just like HK firearms). ;)

C4

C4IGrant
03-23-12, 21:45
Hogwash, What's your definition of quickly? I know tons of guns that have trigger jobs, have never had NiB or other coatings applied and have never had any malfunctions.

When you go to far into a metal part (hammer, trigger, sear, etc), you remove the hardness and get into the soft metal. As a gunsmith, this is generally considered a no no (FYI). This is why, when doing a trigger job, you are generally just trying to smooth out any high spots and then polish everything up (nothing more).

My guess is that in order to greatly improve the HK trigger, you have to remove enough metal where the surface hardening is removed. So to fix this, Bruce re-coats the part.

So the answer to your comment is yes AND no. Some guns just need some minor de-burring/polishing and others need metal removed.

C4

Bogart
03-23-12, 21:46
Stop worrying about the trigger. You're over thinking it. Practice, practice, practice and you will not even notice it anymore. The P30 is an impeccable gun and it's going to be more accurate than just about any other gun of the same caliber. You've got the best 9MM/40 on the market; cherish it!!

This is the same way I feel about my P30. However....

If this is coming out soon I can't wait to make my P30 even better! :D

Hogsgunwild
03-24-12, 05:17
Perhaps Walther (PPQ) lit a fire under H&K if any of this trigger improvement thing is actually gonna happen.

Good job Walther! Takes a Kraut to outsmart a Kraut...

Beat Trash
03-24-12, 09:21
Perhaps Walther (PPQ) lit a fire under H&K if any of this trigger improvement thing is actually gonna happen.

Good job Walther! Takes a Kraut to outsmart a Kraut...

Now if Walther could get HK to price the P30 to be competitive with the PPQ...

E-man930
03-24-12, 09:26
Now if Walther could get HK to price the P30 to be competitive with the PPQ...

That won't happen, that's like saying if Opel could only get Porsche to price the Panamera to be competitive with the Insignia...

buckshot1220
03-24-12, 10:02
I'd much rather spend a few more dollars for a solid job from a well known reliable gunsmith than try to save a few bucks with someone who turns out questionable work.

HK's are just a bit pricey so I think aftermarket work on them can be expected to be the same. ;)

It is also because if a gunsmith takes too much metal away or makes a similar mistake parts are A.) not cheap B.) not readily available like Glock/M&P parts.

You are paying for the risk the gunsmith is taking.

I've got no irons in the fire here as I am content with the LEM triggers in my HK's. They aren't great, but they are acceptable for a defensive weapon.

Blayglock
03-24-12, 15:29
Best thing you could ever do with a P30 is sell it and get a G19 some extra mags, and ammo.

EDIT:

I would like to modify my statement. This best thing you could do with a P30 is not have spent the money on one in the first place and then do the above.

E-man930
03-24-12, 15:33
Best thing you could ever do with a P30 is sell it and get a G19 some extra mags, and ammo.

I agree with you, that way the person who appreciates what H&K brings to the table can buy it and shoot it and those who don't can substitute their flavor of the month gun.

Wolvee
03-24-12, 16:11
Amazing, another Glock is the best thread. Brilliant.

Scar face
03-24-12, 16:14
I just got my P30 not too long ago. I don't know what trigger variant is yours, but mine is LEM.

The thing that sold me on a p30 was build-in Nill grip. Then, I went to the range and tried it out to see if it really shoots. First let me tell you, the rental gun was filthy beyound any hope, carbon build up was everywhere. It was bone dry, you couldn't even spot a trace of lube anywhere. Yet, it can put 3 shots in one hole at 10 yards if I do my part! The gun was SA/DA, and the SA break on it was so light that in some speed drils it gave me a surprise break! I couldn't imagine how many rounds have been thought that poor P30, but at least I know that with enough rounds, the trigger could be as sweet as that.

Robb Jensen, who is the armoror and a top-notch gentleman at my local shop, converted it to the light LEM for me. On the side note to those who are local, you can PM me for his contacts. Now I'm totally happy with mine and couldn't imagine anyone who would like it any lighter on a carry piece!

All in all, give it more time, and definitely more rounds! The potential and capability is there, you and the gun just need to be tuned! ;)

HKGuns
03-24-12, 19:33

EDIT:

I would like to modify my statement. This best thing you could do with a P30 is not have spent the money on one in the first place and then do the above.

:suicide2:

majette
03-24-12, 20:35

it is funny how people bash hk because of the price but you dont hear them say 'i could almost buy two glocks for the price of that p226'.

it is always about the price for the glockers but for those of us who prefer hk it is about cost and value.

C4IGrant
03-24-12, 21:41

Oh, I don't think Glock is better than HK. Cheaper yes, but not the same quality of gun. HK pretty much makes the best quality (mass produced) pistols out there.

With that said, Germans (HK) look at guns as something you carry a lot and shoot very little. So the quality of the trigger (which is how people judge a pistol) is no real importance to HK.

C4

Cazwell
03-24-12, 22:23
HK pretty much makes the best quality (mass produced) pistols out there.

With that said, Germans (HK) look at guns as something you carry a lot and shoot very little. So the quality of the trigger (which is how people judge a pistol) is no real importance to HK.

C4

Enter Walther?

Striker
03-25-12, 00:11
it is funny how people bash hk because of the price but you dont hear them say 'i could almost buy two glocks for the price of that p226'.

it is always about the price for the glockers but for those of us who prefer hk it is about cost and value.

I don't know of anyone with any experience that's said an HK is overpriced. I've heard and read people say it's hard to beat a Glock because of the price point, but that's not the same thing as saying HK is overpriced. In the defense/duty shooting world, trends are ignored in favor of things that work. That can be Glock or HK, but no one with any shooting experience blindly follows a trend.

I can only think of one post in this thread, which is now five pages long, that referenced how much better a Glock is than an HK. From what I've read in this thread, the consensus is the P30 is a great pistol with an OK trigger, which is the truth, and if you're having problems running it, stop shooting other guns and shoot it exclusively for awhile.

For me, while an HK is more accurate, a Glock is faster out of the gate. I imagine it's that way for most people because a 5lb trigger pull is a lot easier to work than an 11lb trigger pull (have only run DA/SA HKs). Many think that HK is probably making the best out of the box duty pistol right now, which, FWIW, I tend to agree with but that doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone.

majette
03-25-12, 03:41
Oh, I don't think Glock is better than HK. Cheaper yes, but not the same quality of gun. HK pretty much makes the best quality (mass produced) pistols out there.

C4

this. you do know that when people like you, LAV, et al., say that HK makes the best quality mass produced pistols out there the glock fanboys die a little inside? thank you.

HKGuns
03-25-12, 08:43
say that HK makes the best quality mass produced pistols out there the glock fanboys die a little inside? thank you.

Not near quickly enough to keep the drone down to a manageable level though, just to be clear.

djmorris
03-25-12, 10:27

EDIT:

What a surprising comment from somebody with "glock" in their username. Ridiculous. It's common sense that HK makes the finest handguns (and otherwise) available. Yes, a Glock 19 is a fine weapon that works well and is relatively cost friendly but it's not the best weapon available. It's good enough for most people but there is a reason special forces always use HK's for not only their sidearm but their primary weapon as well.

I just don't get why some people (retards) claim that the Glock is the best handgun on the market. I don't think even Glock is trying to market their gun as the end all. It's just simple, mass produced, reliable, and most importantly: cheap.

If you want something that's a cut above the rest: enter Heckler & Koch :cool:

edit: HK's are not over priced. There are many handguns out there that cost the same or MORE and nobody screams "overpriced!!". This is just a Glock fan boy argument because they can't live with the fact that HK makes better quality weapons. Guess what -- Glock has a recipe that works well for them but they are not even trying to live up to the quality of an HK. Break down any HK and tell me the internals are not 2x the quality of a Glock's internals. Not to mention ingenious German engineering that is the only innovative driving force in the firearm industry. HK paves the way for every other manufacturer - get over it.

balance
03-25-12, 10:50
Wow, tough crowd.

This was the first post:

Thanks!

Then somebody recommended he get a Glock, and things got crazy.

I like H&K pistols too, and I like them better than Glocks, but I doubt there is anybody out there that will say that H&K pistols are best for everyone. They aren't for me.

Who cares about high quality if you can't shoot it well? And for those that say that you should learn to shoot it well, then would you also suggest that there doesn't need to be any other pistol manufacturer than H&K, since everyone out there should learn to shoot it well with no exceptions?

How many people that are saying "triggers don't matter" or "adapt to the weapon", are going to be RUNNING to the store that has this new trigger upgrade? The upgrade to the mediocre trigger in H&K's P-series pistols.

I have a choice in what pistol I choose to use and what pistol fits me best, and H&K isn't it, and neither is Glock. I choose not to deal with a mediocre trigger that H&K fanboys tell me to get used to. I choose not to deal with a mediocre grip that Glock fanboys tell me to get used to. And I'm fine with that.

Blayglock
03-25-12, 11:48
What a surprising comment from somebody with "glock" in their username. Ridiculous. It's common sense that HK makes the finest handguns (and otherwise) available. Yes, a Glock 19 is a fine weapon that works well and is relatively cost friendly but it's not the best weapon available. It's good enough for most people but there is a reason special forces always use HK's for not only their sidearm but their primary weapon as well.

I just don't get why some people (retards) claim that the Glock is the best handgun on the market. I don't think even Glock is trying to market their gun as the end all. It's just simple, mass produced, reliable, and most importantly: cheap.

If you want something that's a cut above the rest: enter Heckler & Koch :cool:

edit: HK's are not over priced. There are many handguns out there that cost the same or MORE and nobody screams "overpriced!!". This is just a Glock fan boy argument because they can't live with the fact that HK makes better quality weapons. Guess what -- Glock has a recipe that works well for them but they are not even trying to live up to the quality of an HK. Break down any HK and tell me the internals are not 2x the quality of a Glock's internals. Not to mention ingenious German engineering that is the only innovative driving force in the firearm industry. HK paves the way for every other manufacturer - get over it.

LMAO, take a breather bro. H&K kool-aid still taste great and is less filling.

A lot of assertions in there, please do enlighten us in what quantifiable ways the H&K is better.

drgracin72
03-25-12, 12:15
HK, the best $600 pistol you can get for $1200!!!!

C4IGrant
03-25-12, 12:33
Enter Walther?

Possibly. Walther definitely has better triggers.

C4

ruchik
03-25-12, 13:09
I'm curious. Can the slack in SA mode be taken out by a competent smith, or are you pretty much stuck with what you get?

balance
03-25-12, 14:58
I'm curious. Can the slack in SA mode be taken out by a competent smith, or are you pretty much stuck with what you get?

I don't think it is possible to take out pre-travel on the SA portion of a DA/SA pistol. The trigger needs to move forward for the DA shot.

Odglock
03-25-12, 15:01
I highly recommend Bruce Gray.

Tzook
03-25-12, 15:58
I sold mine because of the same issue, and haven't looked back. It's cool to have an Hk in he fold, but it just isn't worth the trouble. I am, and I imagine you will be, much better served by a Glock 19 or 17.

drgracin72
03-25-12, 16:06
I sold mine because of the same issue, and haven't looked back. It's cool to have an Hk in he fold, but it just isn't worth the trouble. I am, and I imagine you will be, much better served by a Glock 19 or 17.

I concur wholeheartedly with this statement
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/RoscotheIroc/stuff/hk.jpg

Striker
03-25-12, 18:18
Wow, tough crowd.

This was the first post:

Then somebody recommended he get a Glock, and things got crazy.

I like H&K pistols too, and I like them better than Glocks, but I doubt there is anybody out there that will say that H&K pistols are best for everyone. They aren't for me.

Who cares about high quality if you can't shoot it well? And for those that say that you should learn to shoot it well, then would you also suggest that there doesn't need to be any other pistol manufacturer than H&K, since everyone out there should learn to shoot it well with no exceptions?

How many people that are saying "triggers don't matter" or "adapt to the weapon", are going to be RUNNING to the store that has this new trigger upgrade? The upgrade to the mediocre trigger in H&K's P-series pistols.

I have a choice in what pistol I choose to use and what pistol fits me best, and H&K isn't it, and neither is Glock. I choose not to deal with a mediocre trigger that H&K fanboys tell me to get used to. I choose not to deal with a mediocre grip that Glock fanboys tell me to get used to. And I'm fine with that.

Because the implication of starting the thread is that he wanted to keep the pistol. If he does, because he seems to be having issues with being able to shoot it accurately, he needs to set other guns aside and shoot the HK for awhile. If he didn't care or just simply wanted to sell it at the time, he could have easily done that without starting a thread. And it was suggested a few times that it just may not be the right pistol for him. I was one of the people that suggested it, so I know. Now he apparently is going to try to trade it for something else because it's in EE section up for trade. Which, if he's going to shoot the replacement pistol more, isn't a bad idea.

balance
03-25-12, 19:55
I agree with a lot of what you stated Striker.

But the way I took it, the OP started the thread because the OP didn't know if he should sell it or not. I was interested in this thread, and replied to it, because I was in the same position a little while back. I liked everything about my P30S, except the trigger.

I can understand how I may seem like a noob to shooting with this thread. Tons of "shoot more" advice which I agree with. What needs to be undrstood is that I am not a first time shooter and I have shot it enough to still have dislikes towards the trigger system. I have probably put around 1500-2000 round down range with this particular firearm; more than enough to become somewhat acclimated to the system. I have a pretty short learning curve picking up firearms so although 2k rounds may not seem to be enough, for me it certianly is enough to "get used to" a firearm.

It's not that I can't hit paper with it and I'm blaming the trigger, I'm just saying the trigger is my only issue and that is the worst of all my firearms.

Obviously I didn't want a "cheap gun" which is why I bought an Hk. I hope you can understand that it's not necessarily paying the money , it's justifying the upgrade to the firearms worth. Since his is a quality pistol, I don't think spending half of the guns value on a "trigger job" is very practical.

I felt the same way, and the tone of my first post in this thread would have been different had the tone of the posts immediately before mine been different.

After spending time and money (around 2k rounds in this case), and finding that the pistol didn't work for him, I have a hard time seeing how this pistol is "the best" (like mentioned in previous posts), for him. I think the P30 is an excellent pistol. I think there are a lot of excellent pistols out there. I think certain shooters will shoot certain pistols better than others. The vast majority of people who practice, at anything, will get better at what they are practicing. Why not start with a quality pistol that performs better in your hands to begin with, and get better from that point on?

buckshot1220
03-25-12, 20:15
And once again we find ourselves in Glock vs. HK (or insert other manufacturer here).

Why does everyone get so butt-hurt when someone has a semi-legitimate issue with YOUR favorite gun? Yes, we've all seen troll threads where someone comes on and says I bought pistol X because it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and everything else falls short crap. This, clearly, is not that case. I'm not even sure if the OP is reading this anymore, as we've gone so far into this pissing contest no one will make it out dry, but if you are here are my suggestions.

If you genuinely like the pistol and feel that it would be a reliable firearm for you, then make the investment in training through the gun or your shortcomings. If, however, there is another gun available to you also believe to be as reliable and that you can shoot faster with better accuracy right out of the gate, go for it.

Although many will tell you to train through it so that you can own/carry an HK, there is no reason to if there are (and there are) other pistols on the market that will fulfill your needs and provide you with a better shooting experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

As a side note, although there are varying degrees of quality between manufacturers and varying degrees of how we, as consumers, quantify quality, the main goal is that the end user winds up with a REALIABLE gun that they can use with REASONABLE ACCURACY. Many people will agree both Glock and HK make reliable pistols, the second part will be up to you.

munch520
03-25-12, 20:29
Before you spend ANY money on trigger work, spend the $8 or $10 dollars and install a LEM hammer strut spring! It will clean up the trigger action immensely even though it actually adds slightly to the pull weight. Then decide if you want to go LEM.. Then spend the money on rounds down range before finally giving in to fancy trigger work from _____ gunsmith.

Before that, I'd get the $7 light FPBS if you don't already have it.

Striker
03-25-12, 21:49
And once again we find ourselves in Glock vs. HK (or insert other manufacturer here).

No it's not. The OP implied he wanted to keep the pistol. With that in mind, most of us suggested that he work with the gun. Now, again, I and a few others said, it might not be the right gun for him. And we said that because he stated that he shoots the M&P better, so we suggested it to him. It's was up to him whether or not he agreed.

Except for one Glock is better comment, no one is trying to push him in that direction. If he retains the pistol, which it doesn't look like he's going to, the advice given is sound. If he doesn't, he should choose what works best for him. If that's Glock, great. If not, great. He asked for advice based on wanting to keep the pistol and that's what most of us gave him.

bzdog
03-25-12, 23:42
I think it comes down to your commitment to the platform vs. the benefits of the platform vs your probs with the platform.

I'm in a similar boat as I carry the P2000 SK V3 in 9mm. As you said, it's perfect (for me) in every way but the trigger. I really like the ambi controls (after adding the upsized mag release), the form factor, sharing mags with the P30.

Personally, I've sunk a lot into holsters and mags and it makes the barrier to switch platforms even higher.

It seems in my situation I have two options -- have a trigger job done (I'd probably go GG) which will prob help, but It isn't going to be wonderful, or go to light LEM. The prob for me is technically it isn't supported as a conversion from V3 in my platform. This means I would need to get a new gun and thats a lot of cash. Luckily for you, the P30 doesn't have that prob.

I'm trying to iron this out before I get a P30 as I would like to know what variant to get.

If I were in your situation I'd prob try converting to a different variant first. It is supported and is probably the cheapest alternative. If you don't already have it, I'd try light LEM. Basically not much to lose in trying a different variant.

If that doesn't do the trick you could consider the trigger job. Just keep in mind it isn't going to be magic so you need to gauge what you think would be "good enough".

It comes down to what you like about it vs your investment in it vs what the other options are. For me I really want the ambi controls, accuracy, reliability and the ability to share mags, controls and triggers between a full size and a compact. For me something like the Glock is less optimal because of the controls, but it does address a lot of my requirements.

The wildcard here is the Walther PPQ. Ergos and form factor similar to the P30 but supposedly with an incredible trigger. I have to admit it was so intriguing I just ordered one sight unseen.

In the end there is nothing wrong with walking away if it doesn't benefit your goals. But once you figure what will best serve those goals then put your energy behind mastering that platform.

Good luck,

-john

Cazwell
03-26-12, 02:35
Possibly. Walther definitely has better triggers.

C4

Accuracy is on par, correct? Claims of PPS and PPQ accuracy seem in line with HK.

Reliability and durability? Yet to be determined on the PPQ I guess, but the P99 variants seem to have plenty of incredibly high round count examples.

What other variables are we missing?

C4IGrant
03-26-12, 08:07
Accuracy is on par, correct? Claims of PPS and PPQ accuracy seem in line with HK.

Reliability and durability? Yet to be determined on the PPQ I guess, but the P99 variants seem to have plenty of incredibly high round count examples.

What variables are

I think accuracy is for sure close.

C4

bzdog
03-26-12, 08:11
If the reports are to be believed, the PPQ is as accurate as the P30, but is much easier to shoot due to the trigger, meaning it will be more accurate for most who won't/can't put in the time to master the P30 trigger.

-john

munch520
03-26-12, 09:28

I just read this and it makes me warm & tingly.

I can't imagine them not bringing it out, I just hope they don't price it above $200. This would be a game-changer for the P30, and may pull a substantial amount of business away from Gray Guns, Springfield, and Bowie.

balance
03-26-12, 10:44
Since the H&K shooting team shoots the LEM model, would this new trigger modification be for the LEM versions only?

Would they have one available for the DA/SA models, and models with the manual safety as well?

munch520
03-26-12, 10:46
Since the H&K shooting team shoots the LEM model, would this new trigger modification would be for the LEM versions only?

Would they have one available for the DA/SA models, and models with the manual safety as well?

If they did, I predict tiny mushroom clouds will pop up across the country as HK owners simultaneously detonate in anger. :laugh:

I find it hard to believe they'd come out with one solution and not a comprehensive one. Who knows...

Scar face
03-26-12, 11:56
Long ago before the Combat Competition model was made, Tommy Thacker, whom at the time was shooting for HK team but now with FN, modified his USP 9 with LEM+match trigger.

The result was fantastic! You get first shot of a super light LEM( lighter than V1 because absent of firing pin safety), then a light glass break let off plus over travel stop, and short reset of a match trigger!!! It was his comp gun only, mind you, so he doesn't care if it has FPB or not. His gun wouldn't even shoot federal ammo reliably because of the MOD to firing pin spring. I can't even stretch it out enough how light the trigger was. And the short reset, my god.., you just need to move maybe 1mm( if that) forward and that was it!!!

If HK picked up the idea and made it into the Combat Competition model, I have no doubt that when the unit sell of P30 is high enough for HK to see profit in selling this MOD, they will start tooling for it too. How many years USP has been on the market before all these MODs is available to us?

That's right, a long...long...time.

Aiannare
03-30-12, 13:28
I agree with a lot of what you stated Striker.

But the way I took it, the OP started the thread because the OP didn't know if he should sell it or not. I was interested in this thread, and replied to it, because I was in the same position a little while back. I liked everything about my P30S, except the trigger.

I felt the same way, and the tone of my first post in this thread would have been different had the tone of the posts immediately before mine been different.

After spending time and money (around 2k rounds in this case), and finding that the pistol didn't work for him, I have a hard time seeing how this pistol is "the best" (like mentioned in previous posts), for him. I think the P30 is an excellent pistol. I think there are a lot of excellent pistols out there. I think certain shooters will shoot certain pistols better than others. The vast majority of people who practice, at anything, will get better at what they are practicing. Why not start with a quality pistol that performs better in your hands to begin with, and get better from that point on?

I've actually decided to give it some more time. I shipped it off to Bill Springfield and will have it back later next week. He is cleaning up the pull and action as well as shortening the reset (advertised on triggerworks.com)

I decided to do this and put down another 500 to 1000 rounds and then see where I'm at. This will ony cost me $130 total for the work so I won't be pissed if I end up selling.

Thank you everyone for your input; you can expect a range review in a couple weeks!

Omega Man
03-30-12, 16:40

I found the PPQ to be slightly more accurate, than the P30.

Cazwell
03-30-12, 19:59
I found the PPQ to be slightly more accurate, than the P30.

How does the recoil/muzzle flip seem to you?

I know those are subjective items, but the PPQ seems to cause more subjectivity here than any other pistol. Anywhere from "seems the same as my Glock/M&P" etc to "I sold it because I couldn't stand the recoil/muzzle flip"

I find that very interesting.

ralph
03-30-12, 20:45

I know those are subjective items, but the PPQ seems to cause more subjectivity here than any other pistol. Anywhere from "seems the same as my Glock/M&P" etc to "I sold it because I couldn't stand the recoil/muzzle flip"

I think alot of that comes from people shooting a mag or two out of a friends' pistol, and forming an opinon based on that first impression.I've got well over 2000rnds through my PPQ, I really don't notice recoil/muzzle flip anymore..Frankly, I don't think it was that bad to begin with. One thing I did,was to stipple the grip, stock, I think the PPQ is a little slippery, stippling took care of that. I also made a slight change in my grip on the pistol, (Grant showed me this) and this also made a difference in controlling recoil/muzzel flip. Just for giggles, I tried it with my P-2000 (light LEM), and noticed an improvement in accuracy..especially with the first shot (long trigger pull)

Cazwell
03-30-12, 21:28
I think alot of that comes from people shooting a mag or two out of a friends' pistol, and forming an opinon based on that first impression.I've got well over 2000rnds through my PPQ, I really don't notice recoil/muzzle flip anymore..Frankly, I don't think it was that bad to begin with. One thing I did,was to stipple the grip, stock, I think the PPQ is a little slippery, stippling took care of that. I also made a slight change in my grip on the pistol, (Grant showed me this) and this also made a difference in controlling recoil/muzzel flip. Just for giggles, I tried it with my P-2000 (light LEM), and noticed an improvement in accuracy..especially with the first shot (long trigger pull)

I'd be interested to know what change you made to your grip, either here or via PM.... its seems you may have said in a different post or different thread that you switched to a crush grip (was that you?) but I'm not sure I know what that refers to. Of course, I don't really have a name for the grip I use, I just call it "the grip I was taught". Ha. Thumbs forward and pretty high. I just need to go shoot one.

ralph
03-30-12, 22:00
I'd be interested to know what change you made to your grip, either here or via PM.... its seems you may have said in a different post or different thread that you switched to a crush grip (was that you?) but I'm not sure I know what that refers to. Of course, I don't really have a name for the grip I use, I just call it "the grip I was taught". Ha. Thumbs forward and pretty high. I just need to go shoot one.

It's pretty simple really, I put the heels of my palms together,(when gripping the pistol, and slightly retract my left hand until my left thumb is on the takedown catch, (not the slide stop)on the frame.I don't use a white-knuckle grip, but I do grip it firmly..Anyway this worked for ME.......of course,ymmv.. P.S. no, I'don't think that was me that mentioned the "crush" grip..

Omega Man
03-30-12, 22:55

The PPQ had noticeably more felt recoil when shot back to back with my Glock 19. I found i had to grip the PPQ more firmly, to have the same control as the G19, when firing. The PPQ was more accurate than the Glock. The PPQ is controllable, but not as easy to shoot at speed as a Glock for me.

Aiannare
04-12-12, 08:06
I received the P30 back this past Saturday from Bill Springfield. So far I like how everything feels however the true test will be tonight at the range. I should have a full range report ready over the next couple of days.

Talon167
04-12-12, 09:29

Knowing HK, probably sometime in 2017.

montrala
04-12-12, 10:49
Since the H&K shooting team shoots the LEM model, would this new trigger modification be for the LEM versions only?

Trigger reset in HK is factor of overtravel (easy to cure) and firing pin safety actuation (harder to cure). In one line of pistols reset is same (and depends on same parts) for SA/DA and LEM versions. There are some differenced in due to slightly different trigger goup designs. Generally in stock form shortest reset is in USP/USPc/HK45/45C series (with match trigger version shortest due to overtravel screw), then P2000/P2000SK/P30/P30L series and P30S/P30LS with slightly longer reset than "non-S" P30/P30L.

I believe that "drop in reset tuning kit" will be new firing pin safety, firing pin safety actuator lever and overtavel adjustment (like in USP match trigger).

BTW I installed LEM+Match trigger conversion in my USP Expert that I used for IPSC some 8 years ago. It was working very good. Then with removed firing pin safety I managed to go down with reset to some 0.080-0.090" (measured in middle of the trigger). It was in some department as my custom STI.

E-man930
04-12-12, 18:08
montrala you know your H&Ks... :cool:

montrala
04-13-12, 07:48
montrala you know your H&Ks... :cool:

Thanks! I had choice to either let some gunsmith learn on my HK's, AR-15s and 1911s/2011s... or learn myself :neo: