PDA

View Full Version : DD/bcm BHF CL vs Noveske CL accuracy

MegademiC
03-22-12, 16:14
I had a similar thread with a much broader topic, and I've narrowed everything else down.

I did a search, found nothing conclusive. Im considering a noveske N4 light barrel but dont want to spend $200 for something not much better.

Rifle is mostly going to be used for HD/SD and classes/couses and competition. I want to do some long range shooting for fun also.

Is the noveske really going to be noticably more accurate or durable or is it a wash? Looking for people with experience with either to draw a conclusion from. Thank you guys.

Rekkr870
03-22-12, 19:57
I had a similar thread with a much broader topic, and I've narrowed everything else down.

I did a search, found nothing conclusive. Im considering a noveske N4 light barrel but dont want to spend $200 for something not much better.

Rifle is mostly going to be used for HD/SD and classes/couses and competition. I want to do some long range shooting for fun also.

Is the noveske really going to be noticably more accurate or durable or is it a wash? Looking for people with experience with either to draw a conclusion from. Thank you guys.

For the purposes that you have stated, I do not believe that you will find any difference in accuracy. The DD or BCM barrels will more than suffice for your needs. There is no doubt that Noveske makes great barrels. BUT, I think that the DD/BCM barrels will be plenty accurate out to the ranges you plan on shooting. Think "practical accuracy." What do you really need? Is there really that much of a difference for the ranges you will be shooting at? I think not. I had a 14.5" Afghan barrel and believe me, it was a superb barrel. Plenty accurate. I now have a DDM4v1. It just so happens that I can hit everything that my Afghan could hit :) All of these are great barrels, I for one would not pay $200 dollar premium again.

krisjon
03-22-12, 20:05
Quality-wise, it's pretty much a wash because the barrels are coming from the same source (FN, I believe). What's different about Noveske AFAIK is they have their own proprietary specs the barrels are turned to. Supposedly, John Noveske specs his CL barrels to near match grade (or as close to that as you can get for a CL/CHF barrel, that is).

MegademiC
03-22-12, 21:02
So ones not gonna be .5moa while the other 2 are 1.5moa or anything like that. I've never seen real accuracy tests from a CL Noveske barrel, everything is SS that I found. Im pretty sure as long as I can get around 1moa with quality ammo or once I start reloading, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the input guys, unless I hear contrary, I'll start pricing barrels.

Rekkr870
03-22-12, 21:12
So ones not gonna be .5moa while the other 2 are 1.5moa or anything like that. I've never seen real accuracy tests from a CL Noveske barrel, everything is SS that I found. Im pretty sure as long as I can get around 1moa with quality ammo or once I start reloading, I'll be happy.

I am going to assume that you will be shooting M855 or XM193 for things like class or general practice. In that case, no, you will not see any difference in accuracy anyway due to the ammo. Your goal is very realistic with good ammo and any of these barrels. All 3 of your choices will be accurate and very capable of what your intended purposes are.

krisjon
03-22-12, 21:14

Yeah, I think Rekkr870 is pretty right on. For your uses (mostly shots inside of 200), any choice you mentioned is a good one. It just depends on your wallet and taste. My Noveske CHF barrel is very accurate, even with XM193, but I don't think you're going to see a huge disparity going with one of the other manufacturers you mentioned. When you're playing in the top tier, you're already ahead of the game.

MegademiC
03-22-12, 21:39
alright, thanks. I will be shooting out to 350-400 a bit, and I want to get into about 700yds eventually. But that will be mostly for fun.

I was pretty set on the noveske, but saw barrels were $150 cheaper from DD and BCM, hence this post. But after figuring out shipping/assembly, It may be the same price to have Noveske build the whole thing for me. Ill make some calls in the morning and let you know. SHeesh, I can never want what they already have available... a pain in my own ass.

Leonidas24
03-22-12, 22:47
Quality-wise, it's pretty much a wash because the barrels are coming from the same source (FN, I believe). What's different about Noveske AFAIK is they have their own proprietary specs the barrels are turned to. Supposedly, John Noveske specs his CL barrels to near match grade (or as close to that as you can get for a CL/CHF barrel, that is).

DD actually manufactures their own barrels as opposed to Noveske's CHF which are manufactured by FN. The difference is the contour that Noveske uses and also the thickness of the chrome lining.

As for your needs I believe you'd be suited just as well with a DD barrel as opposed to Noveske; however, if you plan on running a suppressor in the future then go with the latter. The reason being is that Noveske's barrel contour from what I can tell is noticeably more rigid than the classic govt. contour found on DD's barrels and should theoretically provide for less of a POI shift as opposed to a barrel that is contoured lightweight beneath the handguards.

My personal experience with Noveske barrels is limited to their stainless line. I have roughly 10,000 rds down the pipe of my 12.5" Crusader, and it still knocks out 1.5" groups at 100 yds with an Aimpoint H1. Either brand is quality. For general purpose: DD. Suppressor use: Noveske.

buckjay
03-22-12, 23:33
One thing to keep in mind is the price difference between the two is actually not that high. People quoting $200 are just ignorant.

Noveske barrel is $450 (most dealers will sell for $420). BCM sells their stripped barrel for $300. Add on a Vltor Gas Block (~$60) and Gas Tube (~$14) and then paying to have the gas block pinned (~$30) and you're looking at less then $50 difference between the BCM and Noveske.

Obviously you can get a YHM gas block for $25 and just set screw it but thats not the point.

Rekkr870
03-26-12, 08:50
$50, $100, $150, no matter what the exact premium is, the extra money did not convince me that the Noveske could hit targets that my DD could not. That is my personal experience with both rifles. Either will be a fine barrel. I am sure you can bring out the digital calipers, but who cares if you are getting great hits on practical targets?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Disregard the multi post, my phone is screwy.

Rekkr870
03-26-12, 08:51
$50, $100, $150, no matter what the exact premium is, the extra money did not convince me that the Noveske could hit targets that my DD could not. That is my personal experience with both rifles. Either will be a fine barrel. I am sure you can bring out the digital calipers, but who cares if you are getting great hits on practical targets?

Rekkr870
03-26-12, 08:53

killjoythedestroyer
03-26-12, 21:18
I don't think that there is any comparison to Noveske when it comes to a chrome lined barrel. I have never shot another chrome lined bore better than my Noveske N4. Now if you are talking stainless then there will be some in the same ball park for sure. You will get what you pay for and I thought I payed alot for my Noveske, but the first day on the range I was impressed. It takes alot to impress me. I would not consider anything else. Hope this helps

TMS951
03-27-12, 18:36
my DD chf barrel only has average accuracy. Nothing to impressive, but it is what it should be.

It does not compare to reports others have made on their FN barrels. Noveske does come at a high premium and my money old be spent on a centurion or maybe PSA barrel as I fail to see how the Noveske could be much better or even better at all.

Bedford Forrest
03-27-12, 18:51
Accuracy from my 14.5" N4 is pretty dang good. I use an Aimpoint PRO and the red dot covers the group. It is one of the most accurate and easy to shoot barrels I have ever used. If the SS barrels are that much more accurate then I can't wait to add one to the family. I'm going to put a scope on this one in a few weeks just to see how tight it will shoot. I handload but all the loads I tried working it up shot just as tight as Black Hills red box.

polydeuces
03-27-12, 20:04
Have you considered a Centurion barrel?
They really are something to behold.

I just finished a 16" Centurion barreled upper.
For function test I ran it from a Noveske N4 lower, and could not believe the difference between it and the Noveske N4 uppper - nothing to sneeze at either.
Somehow the Centurion barrel was significantly more stable and smooth, running an identical set-up (FH, rail, bgg etc)
No idea why, but still.
Sometimes it's not just accuracy, but fit and they way it handles.

Just an observation.