PDA

View Full Version : LEO H&K USP 9

Arik
03-22-12, 18:08
Im looking to replace my M&P9 and I came across an H&K today. It's a full size USP9 with the jet funnel, 2 18 round mags, night sights and a rather large H&K light. $475. The gun looks to have more holster wear the actual use. So I have a few questions.

First obviously is that package worth the price?

Second. Obviously I'm gonna need more mags. How hard is it to find the 18 rounders? And what should I expect to pay for them, avg? I did a google search and mainly got results from where people were selling them on forums like this.

Third. Quality, relibility. Obviously I know of H&K but is there anything I should be aware off or are they pretty much like Glocks?

Anything else you could tell me that I might not have thought of?

Hunter Rose
03-22-12, 18:32
It's an excellent price for a USP w/ night sights and a jet funnel, especially if the majority of the wear is just cosmetic. If it's to be used as a self defense gun I would recommend ditching the jet funnel and using regular 15 round mags. The 18 round mags were designed for competition and are less reliable than the 15 round mags.

Sell the Jet funnel and mags and you'll be looking at a good condition USP for under $400. Great deal.

The USP 9mm is built like a tank as far as reliability/durability goes. They are way less friendly than a Glock to detail strip but the smallparts tend to last longer than those on a Glock. Trigger return springs seem to be the first thing to go.

Arik
03-22-12, 18:48
I figured the mags would be gtg being marked LE and all. What makes the 18 round mags less reliable?

mdoan300
03-22-12, 19:05
I buy my mags from either hkparts.net or topgunsupply.com - 2 sponsors on hkpro.com.

I bought my USP-9 back in 2001 for $650 with meprolight night sights and 10rd mags. I think $400 for just the weapon and 2 mags is a great deal. What's the build date on your USP (look at the slide and next to the stag horn and serial no, there should be a 2 letter code)?

Arik
03-22-12, 19:09
I don't have photos and the store is closed already so I'd have to wait rill tomorrow to call and find out the code/date.

Is there a date time frame I should avoid?

mdoan300
03-22-12, 19:17
IIRC, HK beefed up the firing pin in 2006-2007. Nothing bad or a must have, but nice to have if dry firing w/o snap caps worry you. You can also buy the new firing pin from hkparts.net and replacing is fairly easy I hear.

If you don't know how many rounds have been through it and it's an old date code, then it may be worthwhile to inspect the recoil spring assembly and extractor spring, and replace if necessary.

Beyond that, my 1996 date code USP-9 compact and 2001 date code USP-9 are tanks.

HKGuns
03-22-12, 19:37
Great price on a great pistol. Any year is good to go.....I wouldn't worry about getting the 18 rounders unless you have some specific need for them. The regular magazines should provide more than enough of a round count and are readily available, if not cheap.

H&K
03-23-12, 05:11
I don't have photos and the store is closed already so I'd have to wait rill tomorrow to call and find out the code/date.

Is there a date time frame I should avoid?

I bet the date code is AF (2005) which is the new FP style. I picked up one of those PD trades. Mine was a unissued gun and I paid $700 for the package. If I were you I would jump on it quick! Love mine!

Talon167
03-23-12, 07:41
Those 18 round mags are expensive, like $60+ each. You might want to get rid of the jet funnel because the 15 round mags aren’t too bad at like $35. You can still use the 18 rounders but they’ll protrude a little, similar to a G17 mag in a G19… no biggie.

USPs are great guns.

djmorris
03-23-12, 09:02
That's an absolutely amazing deal for the package. I would buy the package for almost twice that price.......

nickatnite
03-23-12, 10:30
Im looking to replace my M&P9 and I came across an H&K today. It's a full size USP9 with the jet funnel, 2 18 round mags, night sights and a rather large H&K light. $475. The gun looks to have more holster wear the actual use. So I have a few questions.

First obviously is that package worth the price?

Second. Obviously I'm gonna need more mags. How hard is it to find the 18 rounders? And what should I expect to pay for them, avg? I did a google search and mainly got results from where people were selling them on forums like this.

Third. Quality, relibility. Obviously I know of H&K but is there anything I should be aware off or are they pretty much like Glocks?

Anything else you could tell me that I might not have thought of?

I'm sure it looks like this:
http://voodeauxphotography.smugmug.com/Hobbies/HK-Guns/IMG0684/1052237530_ANkmY-M.jpg

I bought these 2 about 2 years ago when they were hitting the market. Both have AF date codes. The night sights are dim, but I don't care.

To remove the jet funnel, all you have to do is remove the screw at the bottom of the funnel (it's an allen head screw) and it will come right off.
The regular 15 rd mags for the USP will not work with the jet funnel in place.
Used jet funnel mags are pretty much dried up.

Arik
03-23-12, 10:37
Yep that's it!

nickatnite
03-23-12, 10:40
Yep that's it!

You got a good price. When I bought those, I paid 475 each for the exact set up you are getting...

majette
03-23-12, 11:27
hk stated that the 18rd mags were not recommended for le use (even though these packages were marketed to le) but i cannot recall anyone over on hkpro saying they had any issues with the mags, either in competition or carry. i never had any with mine.

BigBoss0311
03-23-12, 22:31
Great price for the package. The light itself sells for around 150 or so, especially if marked HK. The Jet Funnel kit is an excellent add on as well. Try it first. You will probably like it. I haad over 15k rounds through my 5 jet funnel mags, stepped on them abused them, dropped them, everything. They can take a beating. HK made them. I doubt they are as fragile as people are saying. In fact, I know for a fact they are good to go. Even overseas they work great. You got a great gun at a great price. I would see if you have the updated firing pin and firing pin block though. Easy to change out yourself and not expensive at all. For a how-to, check out the hkpro forum reference section. Also, get over there to find out more about your new pistol anyways! Tons of info! Jet funnel mags new are around 60 bucks a pop, but used can be had for anywhere from 30 on up.

Arik
03-23-12, 23:08
Well I went ahead and got it. My first HK. After playing with it over the evening so far im liking the jet funnel. It isthe an AF code. Sorry for the unappealing pic.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h459/arikb79/2012-03-23_23-51-30_431.jpg

Defaultmp3
03-23-12, 23:53
If you're interested, I believe that you can replace the UTL's incandescent bezel to an LED one with minimal effort using the M3/M6 LED bezel upgrade, like the one sold here: http://www.copquest.com/75-4200.htm

IIRC, the M3s and M2s had interchangeable bezels, which is why it works. Worth looking into, IMO, for bringing the UTL up to today's standards.

BigBoss0311
03-24-12, 01:19
Or, if you don't like the light, plenty of people on the hkpro forum would take that off your hands, there are rail adapters available as well for mounting other lights. Good snag.

Arik
03-24-12, 07:14
No no I like the light. I wouldnt complain if it was smaller but I like it.

THe upgrade LED looks like something I might be interested in just as soon as I make sure this thing runs. No sence in upgrading the light only to fond out the gun doesnt work! :D