PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap w proof wrist watch?

inthebush50
03-22-12, 22:10
Anyone have recommendations for a nice cheap waterproof survival type wrist watch?

SeriousStudent
03-22-12, 23:33
Can you define cheap?

For under $100, I am a really big fan of the Casio G-Shock solar atomic watches. I own two, and have given them as gifts. They were well received.

They do make models that do not have the solar feature, or the ability to sync with an atomic clock for about $50.

Nice and cheap is a rare combination in the watch world.

inthebush50
03-22-12, 23:40
cheap as in under 50$ hell back in basic training i used a 10$ that got its ass kicked through water, obstacle, daily sweat lol. trying to find another one like that , I cannot remember what it was tho!

Vash1023
03-22-12, 23:44
if u bought it at the PX it was probable an armitron.

thats like the only brand ours had, durable as all hell.

i run a casio pathfinder. great watch with tons of settings including digital compass, altimeter, and barometer.

i think it was $90 at costco. totally worth it.

inthebush50
03-22-12, 23:46
yes i did get it on base. maybe i will look again. Yeah that cheap bastard took a beating. Got a buddy who still rocks his from basic lol. I ll look into the ones you guys mentioned. Thanks!

Vash1023
03-22-12, 23:53

i run a casio pathfinder. great watch with tons of settings including digital compass, altimeter, and barometer.

oh yeah, its also solar powered. BIG PLUS

all these specs for just $90 bucks.
specs
Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan)
Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
Auto receive function (6 times per day)
Manual receive function
Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60
Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz
Tough Solar Power
Digital Compass
16 points of measurement
Measuring range: 0 to 359 degrees
Measuring unit: 1 degree
Altimeter
Measuring range: -700 to 10,000m (-2,300 to 32,800ft)
Measuring unit: 5m (20ft)
Auto memory measurements
Altimeter Memory
Memory capacity: 40 records
Measurement data: altitude, month, date, time
High / Low altitude memory
Cumulative ascent / descent memory
Relative altitude display
Altitude tendency graph
Altitude differential graphic
Altitude alarm
Barometer
Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
Atmospheric pressure differential grapic
Thermometer
Display range: -10 to 60° C (14 to 140° F)
Display unit: 0.1° C (0.2° F)
100M Water Resistant
Low Temperature Resistant (-10° C / 14° F)
Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
Duplex LCD
World Time
29 times zones (30 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
5 Daily Alarms
Countdown Timer
Measuring unit: 1 second
Countdown range: 1 minute to 60 minutes
Auto-repeat function
1/100 second stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 9:59'59.99"
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
Hourly Time Signal
Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
12/24 Hour Formats
Accuracy: 15 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
Storage Battery CTL1616
Battery Power Indicator
Power Saving Function
Approx. battery life: 5 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
Module 3043

Size of case/total weight
62.3 X 52.2 X 14.2mm / 118g

Battle*Hound
03-24-12, 23:58

At $90 you shoulda bought ten of them.:p

drsal
03-25-12, 10:50
Good and "cheap" don't usually go together, but +/- $100 for a Casio G is pretty reasonable

just a scout
03-25-12, 13:00
I got a Traser couple of months ago. $400. Love this watch. Wear it with a Camenga Tritium wrist compass on the band.

Traser Code Blue (http://www.amazon.com/Traser-Watch-TRITIUM-Light-Source/dp/B001F8VSQ6/ref=sr_1_4?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1332698332&sr=1-4)

mallowpufft
03-25-12, 13:52
Solar atomic g-shock is damn near unbreakable and needs no effort to maintain. A Casio Pathfinder isn't far behind plus has the compass and all that cool shit.
If you want a non battery powered beast the Seiko Monster is tops. Less than 200, solid, and has a well built Seiko movement that you can have regulated. A step slightly down in the automatics would be the Orient Mako (or similar models), about 100 bucks, well built,, good movements. Not overbuilt like the Monster but the Mako flies under the radar.
I'm also a sucker for the real Vostok Amphibia (easily confused with Vostok Europe Amphibia). Soviet dive watch that hasn't changed much in 60 years of production.

HKUSP.40
03-25-12, 14:19
IDK what "cheap" is to you...but I just bought this little guy for on-duty use and I love it:

http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/1/150299_ts.jpg

I had a gift certificate and coupon so it only ran me $15 out the door but even at $35 it's a nice watch.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/smith-wesson-lawman-watch-black.aspx?a=478684

Scorpaznatica
03-27-12, 16:28
I picked up a Timex Ironman Triathlon about 6 months ago from Walmart for about $30, and it has been indestructible. I have been wearing it daily for the last few months and have smacked it on more than one hard surface. It's been fully submerged on multiple occasions and has put up with the stress of many workouts, range days, dynamic training days, etc.

It doesn't have a lot of the "survival" bells and whistles that some models have, but I prefer to have separate dedicated equipment (compasses, etc.) rather than putting all my eggs in one basket. I would definitely recommend it for a no-frills, affordable, reliable watch.

Here is mine as it sits today. (It's currently caked with dried saltwater from a kayaking excursion yesterday.)

http://www.blankmediagroup.com/Pictures/Dave/m4c/timex_ironman_triathlon_od.jpg

K9 jake
04-02-12, 09:45
Sportsmans guide HAD the pathfinders for 95$ back last Xmas, I started to buy one. It didn't. Wish I had. They are tough, now they are $129.
I love the Gshocks by Casio. Very tough. I had one back in 86, that I traded a guy for, and the factory battery lasted over 10 yrs! Not kidding.
The band finally ripped at the hole that I latched it with and I retired it shortly after that, it went dead.
The Casio tough solar power series is a great watch at a great price. You can pick them up pretty reasonable on eBay. Any of the gshocks are great.

QuackXP
04-02-12, 17:33
What do you want the watch to do? Give you the approximate time or be a chronometer accurate enough to be a portable time standard for navigation?

If its the earlier I have a Orient Mako Automatic. It will run forever mechanically as long as I don't take it off for over 48 hours. $100

For the later your looking at at least $500 a the bare minimum.

agrius
04-18-12, 21:24
Victorinox renegade
130$

sammage
04-18-12, 23:33
I got a Traser couple of months ago. $400. Love this watch. Wear it with a Camenga Tritium wrist compass on the band.

Traser Code Blue (http://www.amazon.com/Traser-Watch-TRITIUM-Light-Source/dp/B001F8VSQ6/ref=sr_1_4?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1332698332&sr=1-4)
:confused:
How is that a cheap watch? Although I would feel miffed that the one in the link was almost half what you paid. :o

OP: for a cheap, durable watch, check out the G-Shock. They can be had for as cheap as $40 new shipped.

just a scout
04-21-12, 17:40
Its not cheap, but if I can get 3 or more years out of it, I feel I broke even or better. I'm pretty tough on watches, sometimes going through 2 a year or more. So far, the Traser is doing great. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brimstone
05-18-12, 15:26
G-Shock Amazon - $44.88 (http://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW9052-1V-G-Shock-Classic-Digital/dp/B000GAYQLI)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81kOmC2cgDS._SL1500_.jpg

DoMDrty
05-27-12, 22:29
$30-40 watch from the PX. Never really paid attention to the brand. Just discard/lose them every few years. I think I broke the wrist band on one or two of them over the years.

TN_Warrior
05-29-12, 17:53
I've only had two watches (for work) since 2002 and they are both G Shocks. The first I loved band broke and it was more for a replacement band (I don't know why) so I ended up buying another G Shock and I love it they only thing I don't like are the red buttons (G9000-1V). So for less than $100 you can get a good watch, but still cheap.

I've stayed away from solar power watches due to my wrist being covered 99% of my workday. I've had a friend who had to make sure he put it outside to charge. So I really don't know much about them.

TheJRK
05-29-12, 18:42
I picked up a Timex Ironman Triathlon about 6 months ago from Walmart for about $30...

This one. Before I moved from Hawaii to the DC Metro area I wore one of these watches every day I surfed, which was almost every day. The thing lasted through numerous sessions and some pretty gnarly wipeouts.

For $30 it's pretty damn good.

jasonhgross
06-18-12, 11:43
I have both a Solar Gshock Atomic GW-5500 and an Ironman triathalon. Both are awesome, very functional, and will do anything you need. The ironman is more comfortable, the Gshock is more "stylish" since gshocks are trendy again. I actually sold all my more expensive "nicer" (a couple of Sinns) watches because these do everything I need.

tesseract
06-23-12, 15:38
Can you define cheap?

For under $100, I am a really big fan of the Casio G-Shock solar atomic watches. I own two, and have given them as gifts. They were well received.

They do make models that do not have the solar feature, or the ability to sync with an atomic clock for about $50.

I second the G-Shock. Mine has survived a number of 100+ ft dives, banged against granite cliffs, and submerged in the ice and snow of glaciers. It has also nicely handled the pedestrian, day to day issues of being dropped onto concrete, banged against walls, etc.

The only issues I have are that the solar-atomic model is really large, and the batteries die too quickly -- in 6 years, I've replaced the battery twice. That may not seem like a big deal, but the battery is not easy to replace, and Casio charges an arm and leg to do it.

Vic303
06-25-12, 07:26
Timex Ironman series. Under $40 pretty much everywhere, and they are durable.

munch520
06-25-12, 07:34
I got my G-Shock rescue off ebay about a year ago for under $100. Easily the most durable and most comfortable watch I own - the fabric band (as opposed to link/leather/rubber) is comfortable and will last forever. I really like the tide/moon phase feature as well, we do a lot of boating and it's a handy tool.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/Glock/7de4ad8b.jpg

Arcana71
06-25-12, 10:39
Yeah... I'm another one. My vote goes to the G-Shock. In my experience, they're one of the few things that actually live up to their reputation. I've never been able to kill one... and I've tried. Currently, I own TWO:

http://www.gshockus.com/media/00/a20792a12c78174547244d_m.JPGhttp://www2.timeoutwatches.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/398x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/-/g-2900f-1ver.jpg

NWPilgrim
06-25-12, 13:46
I still have both A Casio G-Shock and Timex Ironman from the early 1990s that work fine except all the case and face labels are worn off and they have small displays compared to new models. Both took real beatings and lots of water and sand, mud, wet concrete.

My latest knock around watch is a Timex Ironman (about $40) because it has a larger digit display than the Casio making for faster recognition when glancing while running or working in awkward positions. The Casio Pathfinder sounds interesting for hiking use, though.

The other deciding factor for me is the Ironman I selected has a standard band so it is easy to find replacements. All of the G-Shocks I looked at have the custom molded band that are a little harder to find exact matches.

Either the G-Shock or Ironman are inexpensive and extremely durable. Comes down to which has the ergonomics and features you prefer.

zacii
06-26-12, 11:16
How accurate are the thermometer and altimeter on the G Shock watches?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Dionysusigma
07-04-12, 12:36
If I could have anything I wanted watch-wise for daily/hard use, it would be a G-Shock with:

- Analog hands
- Solar-charged
- Uncluttered face (which apparently doesn't exist in the Casio universe)

Barring that, one watch that lives up to its hype of being ridiculously great for its price is the Casio F28W-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Casio-F28W-1-Classic-Digital-Watch/dp/B000AR7RUO). My dad and I have put these through all sorts of hell, and they keep on going... for years. If it dies, it's $15 to replace. :D

Brimstone
07-04-12, 12:54
How accurate are the thermometer and altimeter on the G Shock watches?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I have a Casio Pathfinder and the altimeter is pretty accurate, but the thermometer is not very useful because it is affected by body heat so you would need to take it off to let it acclimate. I have never found it useful.

KrampusArms
07-04-12, 23:07
I've always bought walmart watches for under $30.00. My girlfriend bought me an Armitron for $25.00 recently. Its pretty rugged despite its cheap construction.

However I have a Gshock DW6900MS-1 coming next week. http://www.amazon.com/G-SHOCK-Casio-DW-6900MS-1-Watches-Unisex/dp/B004GE5QFK

After reading a bit about watches, Gshock seems to be the most popular for the price point. Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is all about.

I can't see myself spending over $100.00 for a wrist watch.

ETA: Got the Gshock today. Never owned a watch over 30 dollars. I'm impressed. Easy to use. The face isn't a cluster f$%k, & is very simple with a few really handy features. I like it. Time will tell how it holds up.

They look better in person. I was surprised how sharp it looks.

nineteenkilo
07-12-12, 15:17
Better late than never. I'll throw in another vote for the G-Shock watches from Timex. They function, they don't die, and they don't break the bank.

Pretty darn hard to beat right there.

manderson2228
08-05-12, 22:46
Not sure what "cheap" is for you.. But the g-shocks are great!

far9mm
08-05-12, 23:31
Can't go wrong with a g shock.

Ricardus
08-31-12, 13:15
I had a plain old G-shock. The battery lasts for about 7 years and I used it for scuba before the army and then while on jump status. It performed beyond all expectation. All for under $50 and they still make the same model after 20 over years.

Avenger29
09-02-12, 00:10
I have worn a Timex digital of some type or another for the past 18 years. Each has lasted about 4-5 years. Very pleased with them, cheap and effective.

I did kill a Gshock but I still think it was defective from the factory somehow. Just didn't like it and it was exceptionally complex because geartard I am, I had to have all the bells and whistles.

I wouldn't get a watch with compass, altimeter, barometer, etc. They usually aren't very accurate in these features.

romadant
09-02-12, 11:32
Gshock on sale at Amazon for 75.
Maratac Zulu band and adapters 35.
Solar, atomic, will take a beating.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d0360486-8a19-a0ed.jpg

White.Lightning
09-06-12, 10:40
I picked up a Timex Ironman Triathlon about 6 months ago from Walmart for about $30

http://www.blankmediagroup.com/Pictures/Dave/m4c/timex_ironman_triathlon_od.jpg

I have this same watch and it is nice for a rubber bracelet watch.

I also just picked up a Timex Military Expedition which seems nice so far. WR to 100M. $40 at Target/etc.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/shevon_vspec/2012/081612_timexexpidition/morepix/04.jpg

Voodoo_Man
09-06-12, 11:30
I have this same watch and it is nice for a rubber bracelet watch.

I also just picked up a Timex Military Expedition which seems nice so far. WR to 100M. $40 at Target/etc.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/shevon_vspec/2012/081612_timexexpidition/morepix/04.jpg

^That's my picture - link to it is in my blog and a review...

White.Lightning
09-06-12, 11:34
^^^ Photo credit to Voodoo_Man....sorry

Saw your review, checked out the watch, and it was decent for the cash. I have steel watches which were too heavy during the summer months. The Ironman is nice too, since it is light weight.

Ballistic Agency
10-06-12, 10:55
I've been impressed with this Timex Ironman I got at Academy Sports for about $25. Lots of features and a clean, simple face. I like the advanced Pathfinder watches an G-Shocks but this one get worn every day and is much smaller an lighter.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/06/2a9u8a6y.jpg

sheep_dog_gunner
10-08-12, 16:02
It isn't exactly cheap, but I got a Suunto Core at the BX on sale with no tax for $199. Battery has lasted almost a year now. It has been abused quite a bit and works like a champ. And, it comes with more features than you would know what to do with.

Mbrokaw89
06-08-14, 17:40
Check out the Smith & Wesson Commando. I love mine.

NWPilgrim
06-08-14, 18:42
I've upgraded to a Casio Pro Trek with Tough Solar and ABC. I really like the solar capability, it takes little indoor or sun light to charge. It has a mineral glass crystal so it does not scratch even though I wear it 24/7 doing chores, exercise, etc. Barometer/altimeter and compass work well but the thermometer takes many minutes to adjust to big change in temp (going outside from room temp). Rubber band seems top quality. Not a GShock but darn tough.

Abraham
06-09-14, 14:35
Freestyle Shark.

Full retail about $65.00, but I found mine on sale on the internet for $39.00 delivered, no tax.

I've scuba dived, wade fished and kayaked with mine and it's still going strong without needing a new battery after three years.

Freestyle makes a lot of different watch models.

Co-gnARR
06-10-14, 10:51
Can you define cheap?

For under $100, I am a really big fan of the Casio G-Shock solar atomic watches.

I concur. I have the "Mudman" and another model I forget the name of. Both were just shy of $100. Mudman is solar powered, and syncs with the atomic clock. The other is battery powered. After 10 years that battery is still going strong. Both watches are tough, easy to read in bright daylight and have night lights that work well.

Co-gnARR
06-10-14, 10:54
I'll add this: the Timex IronMan watches are NOT durable AT ALL. The bands break easily. I bought one the day before I attended a Navy Dive school and it broke during my first set of pushups on day one. The Master Diver gave me grief for that!

Co-gnARR
06-10-14, 10:58
I've been impressed with this Timex Ironman I got at Academy Sports for about $25. Lots of features and a clean, simple face. I like the advanced Pathfinder watches an G-Shocks but this one get worn every day and is much smaller an lighter.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/06/2a9u8a6y.jpg
Sorry, did not see your post prior to my own negative comment about this brand. If yours holds up then you got great deal.

Six Feet Under
06-27-14, 14:28
I have a Casio G-Shock DW6900 that has been worn almost 24/7, except when I'm in the shower, for about four or five years now. The only problem I've had is the retainer that keeps the excess wrist strap contained finally tore and came off, so I replaced it with a black zip tie; for everyone but me, it's unnoticeable (I'm a cheap bastard; not paying $20 for a new strap just because of that).

I've worn it shooting, hunting, fishing, camping, diving (anywhere from 20-60 feet in depth for 45+ minutes per dive, sometimes multiple times per day), doing all sorts of things. It's been gouged, smashed into block walls and trees, nearly torn off my wrist while clearing houses at work, ground into rocks in underwater caves, the whole nine yards. Never failed me yet, except for the above described complaint, and I'd hardly consider that a problem given how much abuse the thing has taken without missing a beat.

Now if I could just figure out how to turn off the midnight alarm I inadvertently set on the damn thing, I'd be happy... maybe I'll give it a shot again while I'm off work this weekend. Not bad for $45 or whatever I paid for it back then. I wanted the Casio Pathfinder, but they didn't have one on Wal-Mart's website and I had a gift card for $30 from there, so I chose this one instead.

Shao
11-08-14, 07:52
Seiko 200m+ dive rated automatic watches. I've never had one break and I've had some go through hell and back. If you shop around you can find a nice one for around $200-$300.

brettd1982
03-17-15, 13:14
I have a casio g-shock solar, atomic rescue watch,. Love it.

luckybychoice
03-17-15, 19:09
Just got a Timex expedition off Amazon for 68.00, I don't have much luck with watches, I shall see how it does under duress.

sevenhelmet
03-17-15, 19:37
I'm in the $30 Timex Ironman camp. Quick and easy to read, has the date/day on the primary display, alarm, timer, and chrono functions, and the display lights up for easy reading in the dark. Can't beat it for the price, either. If I trash it, I can just go pick up another one anywhere I happen to be. It keeps time within about a second or so every 2 weeks (I set mine off GPS time and check it with fair regularity). I have a fancy Citizen watch for dressy occasions, but I like my Timex better for everyday wear.

brettd1982
03-17-15, 20:11
The only thing i dont like about the gshocks are that they are big. I knock it on everything but it keeps ticking. I also like that i never have to set the time.

Co-gnARR
03-18-15, 21:22
The only thing i dont like about the gshocks are that they are big. I knock it on everything but it keeps ticking. I also like that i never have to set the time.

I agree. Love my g shocks but they snack back pack straps, sleeves with tight cuffs and make working with my hands in small confined areas a real PITA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sevenhelmet
03-19-15, 11:36
I agree. Love my g shocks but they snack back pack straps, sleeves with tight cuffs and make working with my hands in small confined areas a real PITA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another advantage of the Ironman. Cheaper and lower profile. G-shocks are nice though, I've thought about buying one several times.

26 Inf
09-01-15, 20:30
I'm also a sucker for the real Vostok Amphibia (easily confused with Vostok Europe Amphibia). Soviet dive watch that hasn't changed much in 60 years of production.

Mallowpufft seems to have gone the way of the whale, but I'd like to give him a big ol' thanks anyways - I love my commie watch. Bought it on Amazon right after I perused this old thread. Very happy.