PDA

View Full Version : Select-fire

ShermanM4
03-23-12, 12:36
This might be in the wrong forum, sorry. Just wasen't sure where to put it...

I am a commissioned securty officer here in Texas.

I was talking to a co-worker about the AR I just bought and he told me: "You know you can get a select-fire switch put on there for 3rd. burst since your a commissioned security officer".

I told him he was full of crap

He sent me the link to this webpage:

http://www.gtdist.com/WeaponsPolicy.aspx

Part way down the page:

Sworn Law Enforcement officers, including Federal, State, County, & City. Includes retired L.E. officers with "retired" credentials

EMT’s, Fire Fighters, Volunteer Fire Fighters, and Paramedics

Military personnel including Reservists and National Guard with I.D. - Includes retired Military with "retired" credentials

Corrections Officers, including Parole and Probation Officers

State Licensed Security Companies (Loomis, RAM, etc.) State Licensed Armed Security Officers

Court Judges, District Attorneys and Deputy District Attorneys.

LE Academy Cadets with enrollment documentation from the Academy

Since it says State Licensed Armed Security Officers he says that we go by the same criteria as law enforcement sales since they are a contracted law enforcement dealer.

Can anyone point me in a direction that talks about the law's for owning a weapon with a 3rd. burst? He went on to say if it was "full auto" I wouldn't be allowed, but 3rd. burts I could. I think he is making this up.

Any help in proving him wrong would be appreciated.

MegademiC
03-23-12, 12:47
The link you had showed this:

New GLOCK Sales from our Texas and Georgia Locations: Due to our contract with Glock the following Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, Georgia, Florida and Missouri customers can purchase new Glock pistols from GT:

Sworn Law Enforcement officers, including Federal, State, County, & City. Includes retired L.E. officers with "retired" credentials
Military personnel including Reservists and National Guard with I.D. - Includes retired Military with "retired" credentials
State Licensed Security Companies (Loomis, RAM, etc.) State Licensed Armed Security Officers

They are talking about glock sales, not FA. Unless I missed something. Either way fed law is fed law. You can have it, but you have to pay the transfer fee and jacked up price ($8k last I checked for m16 stuff).

Due to their dealership status from glock, they can only sell new glocks to those people.

glocktogo
03-23-12, 12:48
This might be in the wrong forum, sorry. Just wasen't sure where to put it...

I am a commissioned securty officer here in Texas.

I was talking to a co-worker about the AR I just bought and he told me: "You know you can get a select-fire switch put on there for 3rd. burst since your a commissioned security officer".

I told him he was full of crap

He sent me the link to this webpage:

http://www.gtdist.com/WeaponsPolicy.aspx

Part way down the page:

Since it says State Licensed Armed Security Officers he says that we go by the same criteria as law enforcement sales since they are a contracted law enforcement dealer.

Can anyone point me in a direction that talks about the law's for owning a weapon with a 3rd. burst? He went on to say if it was "full auto" I wouldn't be allowed, but 3rd. burts I could. I think he is making this up.

Any help in proving him wrong would be appreciated.

If your lower will accept a select fire control group, yes, you can have one in the state of Texas. It will cost you about $8,500.00 for a Registered Drop In Auto Sear, a $200.00 check to the BATFE, plus a 6 month wait for your Form 4 approval.

No, there is no way around this requirement. That list from GT Dist. is simply who's allowed to get discount pricing on certain semi-auto firearms, not cheap full auto. Only LE agencies, 02/07 FFL/SOT holders with an agency demo letter and those who spend the big bucks to get a pre May 1986 registered full auto may possess one.

In other words, your buddy is full of crap. Have him look up the NFA Act of 1934 and the The Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986. These are the last word on full auto ownership. If he still doesn't understand, there's no help for him. :(

cj5_dude
03-23-12, 15:53
Agreed that your buddy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. There's a few ways you can get a gun with a 3 round burst. The first is find a pre-86 gun with that and pay the $$$, second find a drop in auto sear and pay the $$$, or third is get hired by a police department or the feds who have post '86 machine guns for department use.

Only the first two will the gun belong to you and you can do whatever you want with it. The third the gun belongs to the agency and you only get to play with it for work and training.

Tell your buddy that he's an idiot and you can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Then do lots of reading on the National Firearms Act (NFA) and see what you can and can't have.

So you can have a machine gun, but only as much so as any other civilian in the US who can legally own a gun.

Dolphinvet
03-23-12, 16:37
If your lower will accept a select fire control group, yes, you can have one in the state of Texas. It will cost you about $8,500.00 for a Registered Drop In Auto Sear, a $200.00 check to the BATFE, plus a 6 month wait for your Form 4 approval.

No, there is no way around this requirement. That list from GT Dist. is simply who's allowed to get discount pricing on certain semi-auto firearms, not cheap full auto. Only LE agencies, 02/07 FFL/SOT holders with an agency demo letter and those who spend the big bucks to get a pre May 1986 registered full auto may possess one.

In other words, your buddy is full of crap. Have him look up the NFA Act of 1934 and the The Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986. These are the last word on full auto ownership. If he still doesn't understand, there's no help for him. :(

Where can you find a registered DIAS for around $8,500? All the ones I see advertized want around $15,000. Or are there reasonable sears available and some just want crazy prices.

glocktogo
03-23-12, 17:03
Where can you find a registered DIAS for around $8,500? All the ones I see advertized want around $15,000. Or are there reasonable sears available and some just want crazy prices.

Didn't realize they were asking that much these days. Just shows how long it's been since I looked! :(

ShermanM4
03-23-12, 21:15
Thanks for all the feed back.

Too bad some of you can't meet this guy, he truly believe's he is right on this.

I think even when I find the documented facts he is still going to try and twist it in some way to prove he wasen't wrong...

usmcvet
03-23-12, 21:57
Tell him he is wrong. He can not get 3 round burst with his ID only full auto.:rolleyes:

usmcvet
03-23-12, 22:03
Offer to buy him a case of ammo after he buys one with his ID.

Iraqgunz
03-24-12, 02:11
Explain to Mr. Brilliant there is a reason why fully transferables cost xxx thousands, and why there are different categories such as pre-86 dealer samples, post 86 dealer samples, etc...

The list posted simply notes who is eligible to benefit from any discounts and has nothing to do with the ability to purchase.

gunnut284
03-24-12, 02:19
There is no difference in the eyes of Federal Law between full auto and 3rd burst. If it fires more than 1 round per pull of the trigger then it is full auto.