PDA

View Full Version : Training for disasters

ReRun
03-23-12, 20:52
What training do you feel is most valuable when it comes to a disaster or shtf situation? Obviously emergency first aid would be high on the list but what else would you recommend?

This year I plan to focus my preps around training and planning. I've come to realize that survivability has less to do with what you have and more to do with what you know. A lot of good a med kit does if you have to read the instructions while someone is bleeding out. I've done some survival courses, etc which have been great but I doubt the use of a bow drill and making cordage are going to be the most beneficial thing I could spend my time on.

Just to clarify, I'm not talking zombie or alien invasion. Think a week to 6 months of being on your own or dealing with whatever issue just occurred.

PA PATRIOT
03-23-12, 23:04
Sims Munitions training is a excellent tool when combined with a proper training class. Puts you in the thick of battle and pushes your skills to the limit were weakness in technique and tactics will come apparent and give you a gage of how you may react in a real life situation.

Having been to a dozen classes that use Sims it can be a humbling experience and pushes you to better your self until your the guy who walks out unmarked on the finial day of the course.

ReRun
03-24-12, 07:36
I'm thinking less along the lines of tactical defense and more on self preservation from threats that are not people induced. If I have to go to my guns during a disaster then it's truly worst case scenario.

What would you want to know if a flood hit the area, a tornado destroys your city, chemical spill, nuclear reactor accident, etc.

The people that died during Katrina were killed both from other people and from the elements. I do plan on a defensive class this year but don't want to spend all my resources learning how to defend myself and then be in a situation where I really need to learn search and rescue skills.

TacCommE21
03-24-12, 19:48
No brainer is emergency medical training. Most cost effective way to procure such training is to become a volunteer EMT or Fire Fighter/MFR. My experience as a FF/ MFR in both paid and volunteer positions has been invaluable. I have since switched gears towards emergency management and tactical comms and continue to receive training. If I had to guess I have received in excess of $100K worth of training for little more than my time. Something to consider. Plus, as a FF/MFR, you can really branch out to related disciplines like SAR, HAZMAT, etc.

Blstr88
03-24-12, 21:34
Double post

Blstr88
03-24-12, 21:34
I'd say medical training is obviously really high on the list...

Another thing I'd say is really important is to look ahead at various roads/routes to evacuate to certain places. I know for a fact that the main road near my house gets clogged up on Fridays and Sundays, and Im sure it would during a real emergency...knowing other backroads and routes to get in different directions would be good knowledge to have ahead of time. Maybe even go out and drive those roads, see how wide they are, what condition they're in, any houses/stores etc that may be along the way.

Gatorbait
03-25-12, 13:40
Good advice so far.

Disasters will always start...and end..on the local level. Getting involved, now, with your local organizations will be of great benefit, should something happen later on.

CERT programs are a great place to start, as well as the previously mentioned volunteer firefighter positions, if they are avialable.

Actively monitoring your local radio frequncies will go a long way to local awareness as well.

One of the best things I have found to do on the weekends, is find all of the hydrospheres within a 1/2 tank of gas from your location. I don't think you can ever have too many options....
gb

Vash1023
03-25-12, 13:53
youtube is also a great rescource for training, lot of good pages on there with instructional videos.

NAR has a good one.