View Full Version : Lasik and red dots

jmoney
03-23-12, 21:07
I have an Eotech xps2-0 and have always noticed that the reticle is a bit blurry, even with the power dimmed down a bit. Earlier today I finally mounted it in conjunction with the iron sights on my new DDm4. The problem is that the reticle seems really blurry now.

I know astigmatism can affect red dot sights, but at my last check up I am still spot on 20/20 after lasik. Is there a possibility that even a slight astigmatism (very minor) is causing the reticle to be so blurry?

With the busier sight picture I am wondering if I should switch over to a single dot or an aimpoint, the only reason I haven't is that I find that I can track targets much faster with the eotech.

Failure2Stop
03-23-12, 21:19
You won't see much gain in going to an Aimpoint with your condition, other than the superior battery life.

I have similar issues due to my corneas getting scratched several times. However, I don't have issues with the Eo reticle unless they are way too bright.

Going with an etched reticle will help (I shoot them and irons with markedly greater precision) but illumination will suffer, and the ones worth owning cost about 2x the price of a basic Eo or AP, but they do have a lot of advantages as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

halmbarte
03-23-12, 23:48
Yes it is possible you have mild astigmatism. At low levels of defect the eye docs don't want to correct for it as the correction takes some time to get used to. And you'd have to wear corrective lenses.

Talk to your eye doc. Take in the sight (w/o the rifle is probably best) and explain what you're tryin to do. If the doc is any good they will work with you to get the best result for you.

H

jmoney
03-24-12, 09:40
Sent an email to my optometrist this morning and surprisingly already got a response back.

He pulled up my digital scans and said even though I have 20/20 vision now, the scans indicate slight astigmatism in my right eye still. I mentioned the optic I was trying to use, and he said there will be some distortion without a mild corrective lens.

What really interested me was the rest of his response. He said he could absolutely get me a lens (either daily disposable, or month long use) and it would fix the problem. However, he asked if I really wanted to train with something like that and then be stuck in a situation where the contact either goes bad, or I don't have the opportunity to get it in.

The blurriness seems to come and go and he believes it is more than likely due to the heavy eye strain I have been put under with all the reading in law school.

What optic would you recommend with just an etched lens? I am going to try and play around with this new setup for at least a month or two before I make any changes.

edit: forgot to add that I questioned if it was a side effect from the lasik like the headlight glare some people experience, but apparently I had a different surgery than intra lasik and that typically isn't a problem with the way they did mine (think it is called PRK)