PDA

View Full Version : Snugpak tent quality??

Battle*Hound
03-23-12, 22:07
I am looking for a two man tent...leaning towards the following
http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=160-113&ItemID=219 or
http://store.eurekatent.com/mountain-pass-2xte-tent
or
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/lynxpass2

I am just not familiar with snugpak tents or big agnes. I dig the snugpak but I can get the big agnes for 25% off...

Whatcha know or think?

Battle*Hound
04-13-12, 16:59
bump!

eo500
04-13-12, 21:17
Out of those three, I'd go with the Big Agnes. You may also want to look at Mountain Hardwear, Sierra Designs, North Face and Marmot. There are tons of good 2 person tents out there with some incredibly light weights. Be sure to compare the weights, size (including height if you get stuck inside during a downpour, 2-3 inches of height is the difference between being comfortable and having a sore neck for the next two days), and size of vestibule or vestibules. A large vestibule is a great feature. You will probably want to get a fitted footprint if you plan on using it regularly or in difficult conditions (on rocky terrain, or anywhere with lots of roots, sticks, or pine needles). You also want to get a tent with excellent ventilation, in my opinion, the more mesh the better.

Campmor has some good deals and their website allows you to compare up to ten tents at a time. I believe REI also has a sale going on for the next day or two. Backpackers and mountaineers know tents and gear. I trust their input more than the "tactical guys" when it comes to tents, backpacks and even boots. Sure you could "survive" with nothing more than a poncho liner, but I find that backpackers and mountaineers for the most part prefer about the same balance of practicality, comfort, and weight as me.

The picture of the Snugpak tent appears to be kinda loose and "floppy" that is a real warning sign for me. The best tents are tight and taught. Loose tents have a tendency to blow away in high winds.

Good luck!

eo500
04-13-12, 21:36
The Eureka Mountain Pass 2XTE has a packing weight (the weight of the entire tent, poles, fly, and stuff sack) of 7lbs 14 oz. That is WAY too heavy for a two person tent, so I'd cross it off the list.

Be aware that some sites only state or concentrate on a minimum weight. The minimum weight is only the weight of a footprint, poles and fly. The minimum weight doesn't include the body of the tent. IMHO a decent 3-3.5 season 2 person tent should be under 6 lbs packing weight.

Battle*Hound
04-13-12, 21:50
Appreciate it....I've been looking at this stuff so much my eyes are bleeding. trying to keep it under $250 I will probably go witht the big agnes lynx pass 2 or the marmot limelight 2. Leaning towards the marmot though...the big agnes ventilation seems to be lacking.

eo500
04-13-12, 23:14
Marmot makes some great stuff. I have a Marmot Goretex shell that is about twelve years old and is like new. The Limelight should be a sweet tent too (over 2lbs lighter than the Eureka!). Campmor has it for $219 with a free footprint, and gear loft plus free shipping. I think you'll be happy with the Marmot. Good Luck!

TucsonFX4
04-14-12, 14:12
What are you looking for? This is posted in the Fieldcraft and Survival section, so should we presume this is for survival situations?

The other typical factors to consider for purchasing a tent include size and weight (for backpacking), interior size (how many people will be using it, how big are the people, how much gear do you want/need inside the tent with you), how much can you afford, how often will it be used (relates to the question about how much you can afford since you don't want a $50 wally world special for something you will use frequently), is it for hotter or colder environments, windy or rainy environments, etc??

This list can go on, but providing more specific information can help the knowledgable members to assist you more.

With what you have provided, I agree with eo500, the snugpak would be my last choice.

Battle*Hound
04-14-12, 19:26
What are you looking for? This is posted in the Fieldcraft and Survival section, so should we presume this is for survival situations?

The other typical factors to consider for purchasing a tent include size and weight (for backpacking), interior size (how many people will be using it, how big are the people, how much gear do you want/need inside the tent with you), how much can you afford, how often will it be used (relates to the question about how much you can afford since you don't want a $50 wally world special for something you will use frequently), is it for hotter or colder environments, windy or rainy environments, etc??

This list can go on, but providing more specific information can help the knowledgable members to assist you more.

With what you have provided, I agree with eo500, the snugpak would be my last choice.

I appreciate the response. No it's not meant for survival, just backpacking. All the parameters you've mentioned are valid and important. Rather than writing a detailed response, let me say that all these things have been considered and I really am not looking for advice on what to buy for my needs....I was just curious about the quality of the mentioned manufacturers. I have never had any of their products. The snugpak was just something that I could have gotten a good deal on...but that ship has sailed.

Anyhow I have decided to go with a Marmot Limelight 2.

Thanks for the help

ra2bach
05-30-12, 13:49
for 3 season camping I have an REI Halfdome. it's about 5 lbs not counting the footprint but even though this is called a 2-man, I don't use it like that. I consider it to be a good size for single with room to store gear.

the new Halfdome 2 Plus answers that with two doors and vestibules as well as being longer and wider and is on sale now for $169. that's a steal for this quality tent...