PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense MK18

murphy j
03-24-12, 10:18
I'm currently in negotiations with HH6(the wife) to get a factory DD MK 18. l'd like to hear what current owners/users have to say about this platform. Please don't turn this into a debate over barrel lengths as I'm set on the 10.3 inch platform. Also bear in mind that future plans for this include suppression and main use is home defense/short range(150-200yds or less) use. Thanks.

Turnkey11
03-24-12, 12:41
It feels more front heavy to me than a Mod 0 type upper with the KAC RAS handguard although Im sure they weigh about the same. I think its the perfect size for running a full size 5.56 can.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/Guns/WP_000306.jpg

murphy j
03-24-12, 14:37
It feels more front heavy to me than a Mod 0 type upper with the KAC RAS handguard although Im sure they weigh about the same. I think its the perfect size for running a full size 5.56 can.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/Guns/WP_000306.jpg

Awesome. Thanks. This is the kind of end user feedback I like to hear. I got to handle a couple that some 'cool kids' had on my last deployment and really like how they felt.

RKB Armory
03-26-12, 12:03
Mine is very high quality and I'm very happy with it. I love the easy maneuverability and the light weight. When shouldered, the muzzle sticks out no more than a pistol would when held in firing position, which is an argument in favor of the SBR for Home Defense.

I have two complaints / suggestions:

1. There is no built-in sling attachment point like other rails offer.

2. Accessories that have to be slid onto a rail, such as the Tango Down VFG (without the Quick-detach), require the removal of the bottom rail.

I used to have a Battlecomp on mine, which really worked as advertised. I have since removed the Battlecomp because the muzzle blast, combined with the blast from such a short barrel, was too much for my taste.

ASH556
03-26-12, 12:48
Mine is currently on lock down at the LGS waiting for ATF paperwork:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DD20MK18202.jpg

However, my buddy (Karmapolice on here) has the factory DD upper on his KAC SBR lower:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/20120211_134340.jpg

He dicked around with the buffer weight, which caused some issues, but once he went back to the H buffer (what the DD factory gun comes with), there were no more issues. It's very light and quick. I have an SF buddy who was in the shop when I was filling out my paperwork and he says they loved theirs on last deployment.

Breadman
03-26-12, 13:09
I have the dd mk 18 upper. I have had no problems with it. I run a AAC M4-2000 on it 95% of the time. It just looks like the suppressor is "supposed" to be there.
Unsuppressed, however; I REALLY prefer my 11.5" BCM upper.
As a side note, I have had a lot of problems with Geissele triggers (S3G and SD3G) while running these sbr's suppressed. (Failure to reset) Triggers work fine with longer barrels and on the shortys without the can.

murphy j
03-26-12, 15:15
Thanks for the replies guys :smile: I appreciate it. Seems to me from the limited replies that overall this is a very well liked weapon and the plus's outweigh the minus's. Would this be a fair assessment?

munch520
03-26-12, 15:32
1. There is no built-in sling attachment point like other rails offer.

That would kinda piss me off.

Breadman
03-26-12, 15:51
That would kinda piss me off.

It is easy enough to add a sling attachment point to the rail. I believe on a weapon system like this, a single point sling is probably called for anyway.
To the OP I don't know that I would say benefits outweigh drawbacks. I mean, it is what it is... short, reliable, and has a high CDI factor. It is also loud and has heavier recoil than slightly longer systems.
I like mine, but if I could only have one sbr upper, it would prob be an 11.5

munch520
03-26-12, 16:03
It is easy enough to add a sling attachment point to the rail. I believe on a weapon system like this, a single point sling is probably called for anyway.

True, DD and the like have sockets for it. I've tried Magpuls RSA too. I was just saying if I sunk that kind of $ into a rail, I'd want sling attachments :)

And I have 2 points on everything.

murphy j
03-26-12, 16:18
The sling attachment point thing doesn't bother me. I typically run an attachment point on the rearmost point on the rail anyway. Reliable and handy are always a plus. As far as the noise factor goes I'm not concerned either. It'll mostly be shot on private land and eventually suppressed. Thank again for everyone's responses.

ASH556
03-26-12, 16:20
I was just saying if I sunk that kind of $ into a rail, I'd want sling attachments :)

Kinda, but how far do you go with that? I could say that if I sank $1500 into my factory DD MK18 it should come with a better pistol grip than an A2 and a better stock than a Magpul MOE (I prefer the SOPMOD). Then again, jack the price up and it can be there, right?

Remember that the DD RIS II rails were made to meet a set of specs and win a Mil contract.

TehLlama
03-26-12, 19:57
An RSA, VTAC LPSM, or Fortis QD, or the standard DD/GearSector/KAC Side QD cups can immediately solve the sling issue - and with options, over an integral unit (a 9" for that barrel length) that has a mount built in.

For a future double stamp host upper, 10.3, 10.5, or 11.5 is money, and the short list of handguards would be the Mk18RIS-II, DD 9.0 (Lite or OmegaX), Centurion C4 9", LT 9.0 - any combination thereof would be just fine. The price point of the DD Mk18 complete and Centurion complete upper (if you prefer that rail) are hard to beat.

munch520
03-28-12, 08:47
Kinda, but how far do you go with that? I could say that if I sank $1500 into my factory DD MK18 it should come with a better pistol grip than an A2 and a better stock than a Magpul MOE (I prefer the SOPMOD). Then again, jack the price up and it can be there, right?

Remember that the DD RIS II rails were made to meet a set of specs and win a Mil contract.

True, but I don't get a DD expecting a wonder-grip or stock. I do expect a great rail, barrel, and bolt...as a result of their reputation.

Yea I get that and it's neat that it was for a mil contract. And it's brown. But on an upper/gun where a lot of justification of the cost is due to the rail...I'd rather it came with the integrated option. That's all.

ASH556
03-28-12, 09:06
True, but I don't get a DD expecting a wonder-grip or stock. I do expect a great rail, barrel, and bolt...as a result of their reputation.

Yea I get that and it's neat that it was for a mil contract. And it's brown. But on an upper/gun where a lot of justification of the cost is due to the rail...I'd rather it came with the integrated option. That's all.

Fair enough. I'll be honest, if it wasn't for it just "being" a MK18, I'd go URX or Centurion. Both of those come with QD sockets.

munch520
03-28-12, 09:09
Fair enough. I'll be honest, if it wasn't for it just "being" a MK18, I'd go URX or Centurion. Both of those come with QD sockets.

Cent. has spoiled me, that's for sure. Building a MK12 now and I'm tempted to use a Cent. 12" instead of the typical KAC. Not having to send it away to get the barrel nut off is a real perk IMO

turboabbott
03-28-12, 21:11
The MK18 is reliable and durable enough for hard use in unfriendly places. Even short guns get heavy with Elcan Specter DRs, PEQ 15s, KAC NT4s, and other hardware, but when streamlined they balance out nicely.

RCO'B
07-15-12, 16:38
My Mk18 is easily handles the best with a can on compared to my other SBR's, hands down.

doubletap2211
07-27-12, 17:31
Glad I came across this thread. I purchased a DD MK18 URG a couple weeks ago. It's was a good purchase. Very happy with it. And I don't mind the rail not having a sling attachment point. It's comfortable to run on a single point.

bwhited
07-27-12, 18:45
I would recommend you take a look at the Colt 6945 before you make your final decision. Also if you plan to run a suppressor I would also look at the Colt 6933/6943 models. For the money the Colts are hard to beat and they hold value very well.

Tootsies
07-29-12, 12:21
What kind of suppressor are you planning to use? Only a few will work with the 10.3 barrel. That is something to consider. I have an LMT and it has been flawless. Mine has the geissele 3gun trigger and hasn't had a problem with or without a can, I thought that was strange for the other user.
Regardless though I think the mk18 setup is awesome and is useful in any role you put it in.
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8868/dscn08761024x479.jpg

Hop
07-29-12, 12:40
I have one as well. Quality is top notch.

I haven't settled on a final configuration yet. I've had DD fixed sights, MBUS, EOTech with and without the 3x magnifier. Not sure what I'll end up with yet. I think I want to put a simple red dot on it next. Maybe a SPARC + the MBUS. The EOTech makes it feel pretty heavy.

I've also tried an MI QD mount adapter and a two point sling but went back to the single point. The MI QD worked fine though.

I have had a couple problems with the bolt not locking open using PMags. It's running an H buffer right now. I need to try my spare Spikes ST-T2. Maybe that will help.

I'm still fiddling around with ammo as well. Groups at 50 are ok with 55 gr & 62 gr but not good at all at 100 yards. I've got some heavier load ready to try this week though. Hopefully they group up better.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MW1W1qTJD8c/T81nWrJftPI/AAAAAAAAALA/kNxIG0NNN10/s800/IMAG0241.jpg

doubletap2211
07-29-12, 13:27
I prefer the single point with this as well. It's short enough to where it doesn't bump into my legs when I walk.

rl168
07-29-12, 17:45
I'm currently in negotiations with HH6(the wife) to get a factory DD MK 18. l'd like to hear what current owners/users have to say about this platform. Please don't turn this into a debate over barrel lengths as I'm set on the 10.3 inch platform. Also bear in mind that future plans for this include suppression and main use is home defense/short range(150-200yds or less) use. Thanks.

Just realized this thread started back in March. Did you get your DD mk18?

justlikeanyoneelse
07-29-12, 17:53
What do you mean by this? That it wont fit or have function problems?

What kind of suppressor are you planning to use? Only a few will work with the 10.3 barrel. That is something to consider. I have an LMT and it has been flawless. Mine has the geissele 3gun trigger and hasn't had a problem with or without a can, I thought that was strange for the other user.
Regardless though I think the mk18 setup is awesome and is useful in any role you put it in.
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8868/dscn08761024x479.jpg

murphy j
07-29-12, 22:34
Just realized this thread started back in March. Did you get your DD mk18?

I placed and paid for my order April/May ish. I'm still waiting for the FFL to receive it from their distributor. The story is that they're backordered till October, but that this particular distributor they deal with is where the bulk of these guns are going. Whether it's true or not I don't know. What I do know is I'm kinda tired of waiting to get the NFA process started.

english kanigit
07-29-12, 23:13
What do you mean by this? That it wont fit or have function problems?

DD, Colt and possible a few other manufacturers use a 10.3" barrel. LMT, Noveske and the rest typically use a 10.5" barrel. It's not a big difference but depending on the suppressor they will not have enough space between the rear of the suppressor mount and the front of the rail to install the can.

Ek

justlikeanyoneelse
07-29-12, 23:22
Ahh thanks

hunt_ak
07-30-12, 10:34
I was wondering the same thing, but as far as 'working' it appears that because of the slightly shorter barrel it might not work in a sense of mounting the suppressor, not function wise...correct?

Hop
07-30-12, 12:03
I got my upper on the cheap because the seller couldn't get his suppressor to fit. He didn't do much research on how to get it to fit before posting it for sale. Score! :cool:

I do have to ask what round works best in this upper?

Tootsies
07-30-12, 12:16
I was wondering the same thing, but as far as 'working' it appears that because of the slightly shorter barrel it might not work in a sense of mounting the suppressor, not function wise...correct?

Correct, I was just referring to mounting and hitting the rail.

justlikeanyoneelse
07-30-12, 22:32
Highly recommend Black Hills 77gr 5.56 red box (MK262 MOD1)

Wayfaerer
08-09-12, 13:31
Question -

I have a Daniel Defense MK18 10.3" upper with MK18 rail - will the AAC M4-2000 with the AAC Blackout 51T Muzzle Brake fit this upper configuration?

Will it clear the rail with that specific muzzle brake and suppressor?

Breadman
08-09-12, 13:50
Question -

I have a Daniel Defense MK18 10.3" upper with MK18 rail - will the AAC M4-2000 with the AAC Blackout 51T Muzzle Brake fit this upper configuration?

Will it clear the rail with that specific muzzle brake and suppressor?

I run a AAC m4-2000 on mine. It is a perfect fit.

Wayfaerer
08-09-12, 13:55
I run a AAC m4-2000 on mine. It is a perfect fit.

Using the Blackout 51T muzzle brake? You didn't have to add any space to it to clear the rail? No mods or anything?

Breadman
08-09-12, 14:00
I use a blackout on my mk18, but I have breakouts on other rifles. They have the same clearances. I just used the included shims to time it. I am not with the rifle right now, but I would guess I have a 1/8 gap between rear of can and front of rail.

Wayfaerer
08-09-12, 14:04
I use a blackout on my mk18, but I have breakouts on other rifles. They have the same clearances. I just used the included shims to time it. I am not with the rifle right now, but I would guess I have a 1/8 gap between rear of can and front of rail.

This may be a dumb question and forgive my ignorance, but being new to suppressors, what exactly do you mean when you say you had to time it with the shims?

Breadman
08-09-12, 14:07
You will need to use shims that come with the brake out in order to get the side ports on the brake to be pointing straight out to the sides when the brake is screwed on the barrel tightly. Most flash suppressors do not require timing... All brakes do.

Wayfaerer
08-09-12, 18:25
You will need to use shims that come with the brake out in order to get the side ports on the brake to be pointing straight out to the sides when the brake is screwed on the barrel tightly. Most flash suppressors do not require timing... All brakes do.

Thanks for clearing that up.

One more question - my MK18 from DD has Daniel Defense's flash hider (not an A2) seen here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523741/daniel-defense-flash-hider-1-2-28-thread-ar-15-steel-matte

In the product description, it mentions that this flash hider is compatible with KAC NT4, Gemtech Halo, and AAC Omni Quick Detach Suppressors.

If this is the case, would I even need to buy a brake for the AAC M4-2000? Would my DD flash hider (which says its compatible with AAC suppressors) be sufficient enough?

I guess the real question is, is the AAC M4-2000 an "omni quick detach" suppressor?

Here is the DD flash hider that came on my MK18 upper:

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j352/javaman85/P1010440-1.jpg

Breadman
08-09-12, 18:39
The AAC m4-2000 is not an omni quick detach.

davidjinks
08-09-12, 19:19
I agree with justlikeanyoneelse.

MK262 MOD1

I've also had good experiences with:

IMI M193
PPUM193
BH 75 gr. BTHP (223)
BH 77 gr. BTHP (223)
LC M193 (Fireball city)
LC M855
PPU M855

My personal preference go to round is the MK262 MOD1.

As soon as it gets back in stock, I'll be trying the BH 69 gr. 5.56MM.

I got my upper on the cheap because the seller couldn't get his suppressor to fit. He didn't do much research on how to get it to fit before posting it for sale. Score! :cool: