PDA

View Full Version : Sig P228R Trigger question

Bobert0989
03-24-12, 12:13
How difficult would it be for me (a novice in the handgun realm, but can fully assemble rifles of nearly any configuration) to replace the trigger in my P228R with a new SRT system from Sig? I have somewhat gotten used to shooting with it now, but still find myself engaging the trigger quicker than it resets when running a draw/triple-tap scenario. It aggravates me, and I worry that if it came up in a real-world situation, I wouldn't be able to focus enough to properly allow the trigger to reset.

I want to do it myself, as I love learning about these things by DOING them, but if it is a really hard job, or easily messed-up to the point of breaking something, I may just leave it to the gunsmith.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks

Bobby

Robb Jensen
03-24-12, 12:18
If you don't know what you're doing you can easily FUBAR a Sig frame.

og556
03-24-12, 12:52
Even with the proper tools and a good manual I think it would not be worth it to risk screwing up that frame.

The problem with that situation is that if you mess it up your only option is to buy a new gun. Sig will not replace the frame for a lower price than the pistol.

I had a DVD at one point that walked you through a complete disassembly of the P Series pistols. From what I saw it looks easy to mess up.

K Town
03-24-12, 12:54
When I first got my 226 from my Dad he also bought me an armors manual which showed me how to properly disassemble the frame and trigger. My first time took over 3 hours as I was learning and working very slowly to make sure I wouldn't screw up. After that I felt braver (Big mistake) and tried to disassemble the mag release. Long story made short I had to send the whole 226 back to Sig so they could undo my **** up. In the end it wasn't all bad since I decided to order the SRT and action job package while it was back at the factory. Now I can do my frame work in under 45 mins but getting to that point was not exactly pleasant.

After my experience I would recommend to just send off your gun to Sig and have them fit the SRT for you and while it's at the factory you might as well order the action job and polished feedramp and be done.

Bobert0989
03-24-12, 14:11
Glad I asked... lol

I guess I'll send it over to Sig and let them do the work. I thought it looked easy enough, but I'm glad I didn't just decide to strip the whole thing down on my own...

Just out of curiousity, what part of the frame is at risk by simply removing a trigger control assembly? It must be deeper than my little brain will comprehend... :help:

Thanks

Bobby

KalashniKEV
03-24-12, 14:22
Glad I asked... lol

I guess I'll send it over to Sig and let them do the work.

I'll deliver the dissenting opinion...

The Classic "P" series SIGs are relatively simple and straightforward to detail strip. Unless you're using power tools, there's really no way that I can conceive of that you might damage the frame.

Dropping an SRT in does not require a full detail strip, but I did one anyway using youtube as my guide:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Pistols/IMG_0785.jpg

Too easy.

I loved the SRT trigger, so I dropped one into my P220 next. After that I detail stripped one of my P6's just to do a deep clean and get a little rattle can action going on some of the parts.

The only part you could possibly mess up on and install upside down is this one:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Pistols/IMG_0794.jpg

The gun will function check OK with no mag, but you will quickly realize and just flip the new arm.

http://cdn.topgunsupply.com/images/D/IMGP2786.JPG

I say go for it. It will enhance your knowledge of the platform and if you get stuck you can always ask someone for help.

el_chingoton13
03-24-12, 15:19
I agree with the above a detail strip isn't too hard, provided you don't apply an unnecessary amount of force and take your time. Here is a very useful armorers manual http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/pdfs/sig_sauer_p226_armorers_manual.pdf
username: manuals pw: chipin

Pay close attention to how you put in the hammer strut. I had some trouble with that, you need to seat it forward and up to where it applies pressure to the hammer, not where it's just resting on it.

thumbbreak
03-24-12, 16:38
I would agree with doing it yourself. I have installed and de-installed many options on my Sigs. Make sure you reassemble in the reverse of your breakdown and you should be good to go. It's nice to be able to pick up something on a Forum (like a short trigger) and give it a rip and if you don't like it, pull it back out and move on...

As a side note: It helps to identify a local Sig Sauer armorer "in case" of indecision. It always made me feel better to know if I did screw the pooch, I had someone to save my butt. Never needed it, but good to know just in case.

Bobert0989
03-25-12, 00:29
I would agree with doing it yourself. I have installed and de-installed many options on my Sigs. Make sure you reassemble in the reverse of your breakdown and you should be good to go. It's nice to be able to pick up something on a Forum (like a short trigger) and give it a rip and if you don't like it, pull it back out and move on...

As a side note: It helps to identify a local Sig Sauer armorer "in case" of indecision. It always made me feel better to know if I did screw the pooch, I had someone to save my butt. Never needed it, but good to know just in case.

That is part of my concern with doing it myself... I do not have a good, qualified Sig armorer anywhere near me.

I'm still tempted to try it myself, but I really don't wanna make a $800 mistake... lol

ra2bach
03-25-12, 11:26
wait a minute... have you guys who say you can damage your gun ever disassembled a SIG?

this advice is really strange because while they do take a certain amount of finesse in reassembling (think mechanical puzzle) there is nothing about the fire control system that would allow/create any destruction force to the gun.

once you take off the grips everything is held in place by the hammer spring, trigger return spring and decocker spring. pins in the frame are captured and simply slide out and back in.

the biggest issue to reassembly is properly placing the hammer strut on the hammer but that's a feel-as-you-go deal - one way will work, the other will not. the "old" model, longer struts are more difficult than the new plastic base model. I know it's a little intimidating the first time but there is nothing that will FUBAR the gun.

chakup
03-25-12, 12:12
For just the SRT kit? Dealer showed me what to do in 5mins. Push out pin, parts drop out bottom of gun. New sear goes up in from the bottom (getting this part back in place was a PITA due to fat fingers!), start pin back through, place spring in with no tension yet!!, drop in other part and push pin all the way through. Take a small hook tool and wala spring is under arm and has tension ready to go.

mkmckinley
03-25-12, 12:23
A P228 with the SRT installed has to be one of the nicest 9X19s ever made. The SRT is well worth the upgrade.

thumbbreak
03-25-12, 13:30
I'm still tempted to try it myself, but I really don't wanna make a $800 mistake... lol

The armorer is simply a backup so you can get your gun back together in case you lose your mind or a part. You will not damage your weapon (other than maybe an idiot mark or two) by doing this work.

DiabhailGadhar
03-25-12, 14:19
I did an install of an SRT kit in my p220 combat, it wasn't easy but it also wasnt something that takes a rocket scientist. I used one of my AGI (american gunsmith..) videos and alot of patience..alot of patients..I said that twice because tempers and small bendable/breakable items dont mix..:D

Bobert0989
03-25-12, 14:55
Is the Sig armorer's tool required for this job, or does it just make things easier?

Thanks

Bobby

Tzook
03-25-12, 16:00
Is the Sig armorer's tool required for this job, or does it just make things easier?

Thanks

Bobby

It can be done without, but man that tool is handy

KalashniKEV
03-25-12, 22:08

Thanks

Bobby

I don't even know what it looks like. All you need is a Gerber Multiplier.

DiabhailGadhar
03-26-12, 09:23
+1, fancy tools not required but I bet it would help..

I don't even know what it looks like. All you need is a Gerber Multiplier.