PDA

View Full Version : couple of question on first lower build.

nathaniel.seacat
03-24-12, 14:37
I built my first lower last week, and may have also destroyed my first lower.
When installing the castle nut I had a few problems. First was, I tried to use the spanned wrench at a 90* on my torque wrench to avoid increasing torque, this required me setting the torque wrench to the left. Little did I know, my torque wrench doesn't click when set to the left. I stopped when things were obviously wrong. Is it likely I damaged it? Should I tear it all apart and dye penetrant it?
The next problem is, my shitty spanned wrench drug along the threads of my re and really muffed them up, aside from not being reusable now, will this cause me long term problems? I think my staking looks alright, one point is a little shitty, but the other seems solid. I'm just worried about what occured up to that point.

Also, I loosened the castle, and retorqued using the torque extension equation to 40 ft/lbs and used nickel anti-seize.

polymorpheous
03-24-12, 14:47
If you don't have to correct tools or experience to be doing this, then perhaps you shouldn't be.

That being said...
Are you asking if you damaged your receiver extension or your lower receiver because you perceived that you over torqued it?
Who knows?
Obviously you damaged the threads on the receiver extension by not using the correct tool.

The castle nut is generally snugged up tight and staked.
Most armorers don't bother to use a torque wrench on it because the amount of torque the TM calls for is just that...
Nice and snug.

nathaniel.seacat
03-24-12, 14:58
I have an ar "armorers wrench". Turns out those things blow. I am a competent mechanic, but merely using tools I am unfamiliar with, and doing things for the first time. What I am looking for is hopefully getting input from smiths/armorers who have seen this done, or done this, and know what the results typically are. I can presume the threads are merely ugly, but will not affect longevity, and I am ok with a 25 dollar cost if I decide I need to change it out. I see no visible damage on the lower, but I do have access to some ndt equipment.

GTifosi
03-24-12, 15:58
If actually going for a torque spec, all numbers provided in the TM's are intended to be achieved with the torque wrench and tool in line with each other.

Not offset 90 degrees, not recalulated to compensate for distance from torque wrench head to pivot point of fixture being tightened.
Just a straight shot from the rotational centerpoint of the fixture, straight though tool, straight through to handle of wrench and tightened to the specified ft/lb.

This also goes for rifle receiver extensions, barrel nuts and muzzle compensators and thier associated wrench adapter tools.
Unless you'got something way off brand or radically different than the norm and the manufacturer of that adapter specifies to do something different.

No math, no calculations, just plug the tools together and tighten away.

nathaniel.seacat
03-24-12, 16:46
Wow, they said KISS, and meant it. Thanks for the heads up.

GTifosi
03-24-12, 17:03
Wow, they said KISS, and meant it. Thanks for the heads up.

It helps keep errors under control because some people doing it might have 11+ toes to count on instead of the standard issue amount and as such would come out to a different answer.

Take the math right out of the picture :)

MrSmitty
03-25-12, 01:48
I stopped when things were obviously wrong.

Hell, you'd have better luck giving it a solid tug with a strap wrench or something and then properly staking it. If things are obviously wrong when installing a RE then its time to step back put the tools down.

Nice and snug, then stake, always. Never use loctite.

MistWolf
03-25-12, 05:08
Back the castle nut off, pay attention to how it feels as you do, visually inspect the threads for damage.

Standard torque wrenches are not calibrated for torquing in the counter-clockwise direction and it it recommended they are not used to apply torque in the counter-clockwise direction to prevent damage to the wrench

nathaniel.seacat
03-25-12, 08:07
Back the castle nut off, pay attention to how it feels as you do, visually inspect the threads for damage.

Standard torque wrenches are not calibrated for torquing in the counter-clockwise direction and it it recommended they are not used to apply torque in the counter-clockwise direction to prevent damage to the wrench

I did, it felt smooth, the re turns smoothly in the lower as well. I figure the re is fine, I'm worried about the lower, I'm not sure how much twisting force they can take.

polymorpheous
03-25-12, 08:10
I did, it felt smooth, the re turns smoothly in the lower as well. I figure the re is fine, I'm worried about the lower, I'm not sure how much twisting force they can take.

A lot more force than your receiver extension can.
The lower receiver is forged.
At $25 you receiver extension is very likely not forged but extruded.

nathaniel.seacat
03-25-12, 10:13
Sounds logical. I'll just wait for my upper and shoot the hell out of it. Will report back.