PDA

View Full Version : Ops Inc M4s

rushca01
03-24-12, 20:30
Who has one? Thinking about getting one to run on the end of a 10.5 barrel to take the edge off.

Just curious what others think of the mini 5.56 cans. The Ops is nice for the price even including their mounting system.

If you have one are you happy with it? Would you buy it again or would you choose a slightly longer one and sacrifice some added length for better suppression?

This is NOT my first can, I have three others. For the relative low cost I thought it might be nice to put on my HD AR.

I have read through this thread, just seeing if there is any more feed back.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92319&highlight=Ops+m4s

jjw
03-26-12, 20:55
adco is the guy to see . i have run my surefire against his ops at a lot of fun days. its as good as surefire and a lot cheaper. i didn't pay retail for my surefire or i would have been pissed.

the next can i get will be ops but i have 2 so its easy to not need nay

Steve is a great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable

good luck

RyanB
06-02-12, 23:20
I got mine last Wednesday. It makes my 17" rifle sound like a .22 pistol. I'm sold on it. Next is the 16th, then an M4M.

the_accuser
06-03-12, 07:49
I have the M4S and love it, is does do a great job taking the bark off the muzzle brake. I also have the M4M, 12th, 14th, 15th and 16th models. Had they all been available at the same time I would have just bought the M4S, M4M and 16th model.

TehLlama
06-04-12, 11:57
I too have one, and it's slated for my 10.5" Upper when I'm ready for that.

I would still look very closely at an 11.5" and M4M setup over the shortest/shortest that a 10.5"/M4S represents, since you're getter better all around performance for only a couple inches of OAL, especially for enclosed areas.

I've already decided that I will have to try my 14th in place of the M4S on that same host upper at a shoot house to see if that improvement is worth 3" of overall length.

Ironman8
06-04-12, 12:08
Got one on Forms at my LGS...probably will be able to play with it by October (hopefully).

Will be on a ~12" upper. This will give about 2.5" LESS OAL as a MK18 with AAC M42K.

The idea is that I will have the extra MV along with less blast due to the longer barrel. The suppressor is really just there to take the edge off and somewhat protect hearing in case I have to use it indoors...

munch520
06-04-12, 13:31
Got one on Forms at my LGS...probably will be able to play with it by October (hopefully).

Will be on a ~12" upper. This will give about 2.5" LESS OAL as a MK18 with AAC M42K.

The idea is that I will have the extra MV along with less blast due to the longer barrel. The suppressor is really just there to take the edge off and somewhat protect hearing in case I have to use it indoors...

Waitin on you man....waitin on you :lazy2:

I hope for a review/vid in Oct.

Ironman8
06-04-12, 14:01
Ha yeah man, trust me there's nobody who wants it worse than me...I just keep hoping that mine will be different and somehow get pushed through faster :jester:

And no worries, you'll see it in the pic thread soon after I'm allowed to snap the two pieces together. I'll have to run it through its paces before I do a review though ;)

saddlerocker
06-04-12, 17:14
Youll need an extender of some kind for it to work on a 10.5" im pretty sure.
So you might as well go for 11.5"

I was all set on an 11.5" with M4-M, but decided I wanted a 10" or 11" rail, 9" was just too short, so im going with a SF can.

TehLlama
06-04-12, 23:05
Youll need an extender of some kind for it to work on a 10.5" im pretty sure.
So you might as well go for 11.5"

I was all set on an 11.5" with M4-M, but decided I wanted a 10" or 11" rail, 9" was just too short, so im going with a SF can.

With a LP gas block, the shorter barrels can work. You're stuck looking at dedicated suppressed host uppers in these cases (in my extremely limited experience with my own upper), and I'm giving up on a ADCO cusomized VTAC Extreme rail to go with the shorter URX 3.1 8" upper on that setup. Still a tight fit, but it'll do.

Ironman8
09-24-12, 21:32
Waitin on you man....waitin on you :lazy2:

I hope for a review/vid in Oct.

The wait is over my friend :D

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l583/bgonzo8/IMG_0196.jpg

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l583/bgonzo8/IMG_0197.jpg

QuietShootr
09-24-12, 21:41
The M4S is titties and beer. Buy (from Adco) with confidence.

BigLarge
09-24-12, 22:07
pics without the can?

Ironman8
09-25-12, 08:14
pics without the can?

I'll get one up tonight if possible...

ASH556
09-25-12, 10:37
Man, that thing just looks as sweet as CAN be! Too bad I can't get one for my MK18:cray:

PD Sgt.
09-25-12, 11:41
Nice set up.

I am waiting on forms to clear for a M4S and a M4M. I am planning on the M4M to go on a 12.5" upper, while the M4S will probably go back and forth between a 16" and my 14.5" rig.

IMHO, some of the best cans out there for the money.

Ironman8
09-25-12, 12:12
Thanks guys.

Man, that thing just looks as sweet as CAN be! Too bad I can't get one for my MK18:cray:

Have you already selected a suppressor?

Nice set up.

I am waiting on forms to clear for a M4S and a M4M. I am planning on the M4M to go on a 12.5" upper, while the M4S will probably go back and forth between a 16" and my 14.5" rig.

IMHO, some of the best cans out there for the money.

I think you would be very surprised how well the M4S would sound on a 12.5". If you're going for max manueverability then I wouldn't rule out the M4S for your shorty. I'll probably end up with an M4M down the road too just for when I want a little more suppression...

I agree that for the money, there's nothing out there that's better.

the_accuser
09-25-12, 12:14
Congrats Ironman8!!!

I know you've waited a while for that can. Your setup looks awesome, let us know what you think of performance of the M4S.

Jason

Ironman8
09-25-12, 12:26
Congrats Ironman8!!!

I know you've waited a while for that can. Your setup looks awesome, let us know what you think of performance of the M4S.

Jason

Thanks Jason! I appreciate all your feedback and guidance that steered me this direction.

I already got a chance to test it out last weekend. I am very impressed! I'm using the Spikes Tactical Dynacomp Extreme HVS (http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/spikes-tactical-dynacomp-extreme-hvs-556-p-739.html) so as you can imagine, without the can, the blast is pretty concussive.

With the can, I would say that the M4S takes it down to a little louder than .22 magnum levels...at least to my ears.

I was also surprised that the can actually has more backpressure than I thought it would. It was cycling very fast, throwing brass to 1:00, and I even had 2 (out of 116) rounds hang up and jam in the chamber. I am running a carbine buffer at the moment, so I'm sure an H2/H3 would help...but I'm going to go ahead and get a Sayoc Gas Block to tune the gas pressure how I want it. Hopefully I can get it to recoil like a .22 magnum :D

rushca01
09-25-12, 13:04
Thanks for the update, looks great. I would highly recommend switching to a heavier buffer, that should help.

ASH556
09-25-12, 13:24
Thanks guys.

Have you already selected a suppressor?

No, still going back and forth between AAC mini and Surefire mini. The Ops won't fit on a MK18 because it has to sit behind the muzzle...otherwise I'd have one.

Ironman8
09-25-12, 14:07
Thanks for the update, looks great. I would highly recommend switching to a heavier buffer, that should help.

No problem. Have you already put in for an M4S?

That's one of two fixes I considered, the other being a way to tune the gas via the Syrac GB...however, a heavier buffer is just a bandaid IMO. I would rather treat the cause vs. treat the symptoms. Also, keeping the carbine buffer and lowering the gas pressure "should" make for a very soft shooting suppressed setup since you're keeping cyclic mass down as well.

Ironman8
09-25-12, 14:12
No, still going back and forth between AAC mini and Surefire mini. The Ops won't fit on a MK18 because it has to sit behind the muzzle...otherwise I'd have one.

Well, unless you're dead set on keeping a MK18 replica (10.3" bbl, ect.) why not sell the barrel, pick up a 12.5", order the M4S, and have ADCO cut it down as close to the rail as possible like I did (mine is just over 11.5"...I'm guessing yours would be just over 12"). It would still look like a MK18 until you took the suppressor off...

You could buy the M4S for an indoor HD gun and an M4M for a little more suppression while still maintaining manueverability...all for about the same price of either of the Minis :D

bubba04
09-25-12, 14:21
The wait is over my friend :D

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l583/bgonzo8/IMG_0196.jpg

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l583/bgonzo8/IMG_0197.jpg

That is bad ass. I am torn between the m4s and m4m for my 6933.

RyanB
09-25-12, 14:29
Ironman you're two buffers too light unsuppressed. That you're having carrier velocity issues is unsurprising. Try a 3 buffer.

ASH556
09-25-12, 14:56
Well, unless you're dead set on keeping a MK18 replica (10.3" bbl, ect.) why not sell the barrel, pick up a 12.5", order the M4S, and have ADCO cut it down as close to the rail as possible like I did (mine is just over 11.5"...I'm guessing yours would be just over 12"). It would still look like a MK18 until you took the suppressor off...

You could buy the M4S for an indoor HD gun and an M4M for a little more suppression while still maintaining manueverability...all for about the same price of either of the Minis :D

Yeah, good point and I've thought about it...it's a factory form 4 gun, and I hate the thought of hacking it up, you know?

Ironman8
09-25-12, 14:57
That is bad ass. I am torn between the m4s and m4m for my 6933.

Well PM me back and maybe I'll be able to help you decide sometime soon ;)

But ultimately it depends on what your goal is for the build. If its shortest OAL with a compromise on suppression, then M4S. If you don't mind the extra 1.5" and want a little more suppression, then the M4M would be perfect.

Ironman8
09-25-12, 15:00
Yeah, good point and I've thought about it...it's a factory form 4 gun, and I hate the thought of hacking it up, you know?

Yeah I hear ya. I remember talking with you about a year ago about building a MK18 myself, but decided on the Ops line instead of AAC (mostly because of availability and cost) and stuck with my preferred VIS upper.

Can you even find any of the Minis that you mentioned in stock anywhere??

Ironman8
09-25-12, 15:02
Ironman you're two buffers too light unsuppressed. That you're having carrier velocity issues is unsurprising. Try a 3 buffer.

Thanks, see post #22 ;)

ASH556
09-25-12, 15:03
Yeah I hear ya. I remember talking with you about a year ago about building a MK18 myself, but decided on the Ops line instead of AAC (mostly because of availability and cost) and stuck with my preferred VIS upper.

Can you even find any of the Minis that you mentioned in stock anywhere??

Yeah, I thought I remembered that discussion. Not super worried about stock...I'm in AAC territory and pretty good pals with Mers and Hollister...Former Bullseye (master distributor) employee too. Bottom line, if I was ready to pull the trigger, I could get my hands on something.

Just looked at the M4S on Adco's site...what's the difference in that thing and a standard thread mount can? What keeps it on the gun? Also, how heavy is it?

ETA: well hold the phone...I just talked to ADCO and they said I can use the adapter mount and it will work. Basically, the adapter adds the necessary length to my barrel and the can will still sit flush (nearly) against the rail.

so this:
http://adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/OPS%20Collar%20Adapter.jpg

plus this:
http://adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/A1%20Flash%20Hider%20Mount.jpg

makes it work. Right?

munch520
09-25-12, 15:09
Congrats ironman! Vids please!

Ironman8
09-25-12, 15:14
Yeah, I thought I remembered that discussion. Not super worried about stock...I'm in AAC territory and pretty good pals with Mers and Hollister...Former Bullseye (master distributor) employee too. Bottom line, if I was ready to pull the trigger, I could get my hands on something.

Just looked at the M4S on Adco's site...what's the difference in that thing and a standard thread mount can? What keeps it on the gun? Also, how heavy is it?

That's right, I forgot you had an "in" ;)

The difference is the collar that the can backs up to. When tightened down, the collar "pushes" the can back into the threads on the muzzle device and creates enough tension between the two that it will keep the can in place. Otherwise, it would be like a typical thread mount can with the typical problems that they have on a semi.

As far as weight, I can get an exact number for you tonight along with the pic I need to take of the muzzle w/o can. Its sturdy, but still light enough to not worry much about the extra weight.

Ironman8
09-25-12, 15:24
Congrats ironman! Vids please!

Hmmm I'll see what I can do...maybe you'll just have to let me know when you make the next trip down!

And thanks man.

Ironman8
09-25-12, 16:11
ETA: well hold the phone...I just talked to ADCO and they said I can use the adapter mount and it will work. Basically, the adapter adds the necessary length to my barrel and the can will still sit flush (nearly) against the rail.

so this:
http://adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/OPS%20Collar%20Adapter.jpg

plus this:
http://adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/A1%20Flash%20Hider%20Mount.jpg

makes it work. Right?

Yes! I completely forgot about that!

And now that you mention it, I remember thinking back when I was putting this all down on paper that if I was going to have to use an adapter that adds weight and length without giving me the extra velocity, then I may as well just get the longer barrel and cut it down to fit the way I wanted.

Yes it will work, but it just wasn't worth it for me just for the sake of having a replica MK18. That may be just what you were looking for though, so that would be your call.

ASH556
09-25-12, 16:18
Yes! I completely forgot about that!

And now that you mention it, I remember thinking back when I was putting this all down on paper that if I was going to have to use an adapter that adds weight and length without giving me the extra velocity, then I may as well just get the longer barrel and cut it down to fit the way I wanted.

Yes it will work, but it just wasn't worth it for me just for the sake of having a replica MK18. That may be just what you were looking for though, so that would be your call.

Well, to be honest, I called them to discuss sending them my upper and having them swap the barrel for a longer one with the collar, but he told me about this...decisions, decisions.

Either way, your rifle looks sick and I envy it!

munch520
09-26-12, 11:04
I'd use brake instead of threaded flash-hider...heard the zero shift isn't as bad

munch520
09-26-12, 11:04
Hmmm I'll see what I can do...maybe you'll just have to let me know when you make the next trip down!

And thanks man.

Down for that!

Ironman8
09-27-12, 08:30
pics without the can?

Here's a pic for you guys...tried to show the size of the can (which was 4 5/8") and where it indexes on the collar/barrel. Hope this is somewhat what you were looking for BigLarge...

ASH, tried to get an exact weight, but my reloading scale apparently doesn't go up to the weight of the can and all I got was an error reading. I'll try to weigh it somewhere else soon...

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l583/bgonzo8/IMG_0206.jpg