PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle this?

philcam
03-24-12, 20:58
I usually don't go to gun shows, because the local ones are more like a junk swap meet, but today I was bored, needed some nylon brushes and wanted to see if they had any decent ARs.

I'm browsing the one vender that had a large selection of ARs. Most were junk Bushmasters, RRAs and DPMS, but they had a Colt or two and a Daniel Defense. They were all overpriced.

Anyway, as I'm looking I hear this little kid's voice, "pow, pow, pow." I look across the table and a boy, maybe 7-8 years old, is pointing an AR at me and others "shooting" us. His dad is next to him, completely ignoring his son. I watch the kid for several minutes, thinking, surely his dad's going to catch him. Nope, he picked up 2 other rifles and did the same thing. I almost walked over to the dad to politely ask him not to allow his son to point a rifle at me, but figured it wouldn't end well and wasn't worth a confrontation.

About 30 minutes later I see the same father / son and this time the kid is holding a pistol at another vendor's table. Same thing, pointing the pistol at the patrons, "pow, pow, pow!"

I'm all for father / son outings. I remember my dad taking to me to gun shows as a kid. I also remember a polite seller educating me that you should always ask before picking up someone's firearm. I'm all for kids shooting, but come on! Someone needs to teach them they aren't toys to be pointed at people! I don't blame the kid, I blame the dad!

I saw several adults acting like morons too, so I won't even go there.

How would you have handled it? Chalk it up to kids being kids? Say something to the dad? Mention it to the vendor or gun show organizer and let them handle it? Draw your CCW and point it back at the kid for pointing a rifle at you while shouting "drop the rifle!"? (I'M ONLY BEING SARCASTIC!!!) Or would you just ignore them?

UPDATE: Thanks to all who replied. I think there are some good suggestions here. I can't reply, because a moderator moved the thread to a forum I don't have privileges to post in. It took me a while to figure out why my reply wouldn't work! ;-)

warpigM-4
03-24-12, 21:07
that is a case of bad parenting :rolleyes:.My daughter knows Not to handle weapons at guns show unless she asked first and she always keep the Muzzle away from people .

Dad drop the Ball on this as did the vendors .If I was a vendor I would have said something to the Man .

As for me I have been known to talk loud so the people I am bitch about hear me as I stare at them, this gets the point across and all i get is a dirty look.:sarcastic:

DeviousMind
03-24-12, 21:54
Definately bad parenting. I probably would of said something. I grew up around guns as my dad was a police officer and I knew it was my ass if I pulled something like that. Sounds to me like the father hasn't had the it's not a toy talk.

duece71
03-24-12, 22:20
Someone at a local gun show here in Columbus got shot as a result of this kind of horseplay. This stuff needs to be clamped down upon, or this is a lawsuit/spotlight that gun owners do NOT need. I would have tried to be as polite as possible and told the father that this is unacceptable and unsafe behavior by the son. Gun shows in my area as of late have become a true circus event, bearded ladies, charlatans, people who haven't seen a shower in months and the like. If you don't feel like confronting such behavior, I would leave the show.

ryr8828
03-25-12, 00:46
I went to a gun show today and you weren't allowed to handle a gun unless you could legally buy it.

If anyone would have pointed a gun at me I think I would have said something.

Iraqgunz
03-25-12, 00:50
Moved because this is not an AR issue.

chadbag
03-25-12, 01:04
I would have gone and politely talked to the kid if I were near by.

---

BCmJUnKie
03-25-12, 01:07
I would have gone and politely talked to the kid if I were near by.

---

+1

Edjumacating the young'n might have been good seein how the pappy aint

Sensei
03-25-12, 01:22
I would have notified event staff or politely asked the father to correct the action.

SteyrAUG
03-25-12, 01:35
There is of course only one correct answer...I'd have gone all Ashida Kim on Dad's ass.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/arfcom556/monkey_steals_the_peach.png

Sensei
03-25-12, 02:37
Being the consument skeptic, I've attempted to apply this Monkey Steals the Peach technique on my Great Dane with the specific intent on accessing the Ch'ueng Mo channels. I wanted to see if the technique could actually stop the heart. Alas, it did not have the intended effect - perhaps because he is neutered? Anyway, I feel that I must now go to the hospital to have some bite wounds addressed...

Moose-Knuckle
03-25-12, 03:12
One must not consider the other guys "feelings". It's already obivous he is a douche nozel. I would have asked the father to stop his child from pointing firearms at me. If he got retarded then we would go from there.

montanadave
03-25-12, 09:26
I would have notified the event staff and said something to the venders permitting a child to handle firearms without supervision.

Dad's an idiot and trying to publicly chastise strangers on parenting technique seldom produces a desirable result. The venders are responsible for the firearms in their possession and have an obligation to insure they are secured and safe at all times. And the event organizers have a duty to provide for the safety of the public attending their gun show. Failure across the board and another strike against gun shows which have turned into flea markets with firearms.

montanadave
03-25-12, 09:29
There is of course only one correct answer...I'd have gone all Ashida Kim on Dad's ass.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/arfcom556/monkey_steals_the_peach.png

Question: When the monkey attempts to steal the peach, isn't he likely to be distracted by the banana?

Hmac
03-25-12, 10:03
I would have just taken the gun away from the kid and handed it back to the guy who was supposed to be manning the table. If he or the dad wanted to make an issue of it, I would have been happy to let the gun show organizer settle the issue.

NavyDavy55
03-25-12, 10:15
I'd have no problem talking with the vendor and parent in a respectful manner. If they didn't want to talk then I would have talked with the show promoters.

ST911
03-25-12, 10:51
I start with a "careful there buddy. Remember guns are always loaded, and only point them in a safe direction." Make it loud enough for the parent and vendor to hear. When that doesn't work, a direct intervention with dad, "hey dad, you have a teachable moment on gun safety right there."

Armati
03-25-12, 11:05
Chalk it up to bad parenting, no parenting, and parents who would rather be friends with their kids than mentors and role models. It seems to be par for the course these days.

My wife handles this by being as loud and rude as possible and thinking out loud about their parenting skills.

usmcvet
03-25-12, 11:56
I start with a "careful there buddy. Remember guns are always loaded, and only point them in a safe direction." Make it loud enough for the parent and vendor to hear. When that doesn't work, a direct intervention with dad, "hey dad, you have a teachable moment on gun safety right there."

I like your approach. It is addressed, tactfully. My second vote goes for the peach move! It is very sad that this was allowed to happen, at least twice. This is also why I don't like to use local ranges often, too many idiots.

HES
03-25-12, 13:20

Brilliant! That would be an excellent way to handle no. No rational adult / parent should have a problem with that

Sensei
03-25-12, 13:49

Very well done, Sir.

QuickStrike
03-25-12, 15:22
I'd tell the father to watch his freakin' brat.

ST911
03-25-12, 16:02
You can be direct without being rude. Done right, you can even be friendly while being pointed.

Too many folks provoke confrontation where there needn't be any.

usmcvet
03-25-12, 16:51
I had a deactivated 1903 Springfield parade rifle pointed at me in college. Even though I knew the gun was not capable of firing I lost it and snatched it away from the idiot. This idiot had a four year Navy ROTC scholarship and is prob in comand of a warship now. Teach 'em while they are young.

scoutfsu99
03-25-12, 17:02
You can be direct without being rude. Done right, you can even be friendly while being pointed.

Exactly. Instead of being a douche bag with a loud voice or calling a small child a brat, you will get much farther by being polite and turning it into a teachable lesson for the kid and father.

In the event that doesn't work, go get the people that work there and let them handle it.

Polite Society indeed:rolleyes:

SteyrAUG
03-25-12, 17:47

You are correct, but at the same time some folks need to be told to watch their freaking brat. I personally believe that anyone who would let their child point real guns at other people should be ejected from a gun show, but that's just me.

I'm actually amazed the dealers in question didn't go apeshit over a child playing with their guns.

SteyrAUG
03-25-12, 17:50
Exactly. Instead of being a douche bag with a loud voice or calling a small child a brat, you will get much farther by being polite and turning it into a teachable lesson for the kid and father.

Some folks do stupid things because they simply don't know any better, others do stupid things because they simply don't care. You shouldn't address both groups in the same, polite manner.

That said, I would probably take it to the promoter to handle.

scoutfsu99
03-25-12, 18:42
IMO, the initial encounter should be polite. If he wants to get froggy with his reply, completely disregards you, etc.....then go get the promoter. Bitching loudly across the room or initiating the conversation with an attack is the wrong way to get the situation solved.

It is far easier to be firm, direct, and polite.

Also, since when do kids get to play with guns at shows? I have never seen or heard of anything like that.

SteyrAUG
03-25-12, 20:37
IMO, the initial encounter should be polite. If he wants to get froggy with his reply, completely disregards you, etc.....then go get the promoter. Bitching loudly across the room or initiating the conversation with an attack is the wrong way to get the situation solved.

It is far easier to be firm, direct, and polite.

I understand your point, and again IF you are dealing with somebody who simply "doesn't know" then that is the way to go. At some point, somebody taught every one of us and we should of course remember that.

The problem is when somebody simply "doesn't care" and usually this type comes with lots of indicators. They are related to the kind of person who "didn't know" there was anything wrong with stopping to take a piss in your front yard as they walked home at 1am and are actually mystified that you are upset by it all.

Being polite works with civilized and considerate people. And if you were dealing with civilized and considerate people, they probably wouldn't allow their kids to point a gun at you. But if you want to try the high road first, I understand.

Also, since when do kids get to play with guns at shows? I have never seen or heard of anything like that.

That is definitely the big WTF. If I was the dealer at the show, I wouldn't want some booger eating snot monster handling my guns. The exception being if the kid was going to be shooting the gun after purchase and could safely and responsibly handle the gun. Sadly I haven't seen one of those in awhile.

Jellybean
03-25-12, 23:31
........Gun shows in my area as of late have become a true circus event, bearded ladies, charlatans, people who haven't seen a shower in months and the like.....

.......Failure across the board and another strike against gun shows which have turned into flea markets with firearms.

Gentlemen, you seem to be forgetting your essential Field Guide to Gun Shows info :D :

The Know it ALL dealer : The know it all dealer can tell you the entire history of every gun in the place. He can be a great help to a newbie but the fact is he doesn't know shit. In his perfect memory (fantasy) the guns on his table are truly unique and one of a kind. Never mind the ****ing serial numbers being in the 4 million range. When doing you the large favor of just acknowledging your presence, he can and will make you the deal of a lifetime. Preban (sic) weapons of fierce lineage. The AR15 on his table ? Yep, sure enough it's the one issued to Carlos Hathcock. The Norinco .45 ? You gessed it, Audie Murphy carried that one. The hicap AR mags ? Of course they are the "real deal" buster. These were carried in 'nam. None of the imitation USGI s*** here man, the real thing. They have 10% of the original finish left and are worth $60 each, and you are damn lucky he is in a good mood.

The Wannabe : This guy is usually in his late teens or early twenties. Hasn't been laid but once in his life and wants you to believe you are an inch away from a sure, swift, horrific death just because he walked within 5 feet of you on an aisle. Sporting the trendy "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" new t-shirt and a pair of Danner copies. His pants are stuffed in his boot tops, he is DAMN sure he can handle any weapon at the show and is the first guy in line to by from Mr. Know it ALL dealer. He is specops material for sure. If he ever saves enough money to buy gas to go over to the enlistment office he will offer his services to this fine country of ours. As long as he can skip boot camp, not have to cut his hair and can lead some really cool Ranger outfit. Otherwise, it's too much trouble. He watches movies about war and sits and loudly elaborates on how he would have done things if he had been in charge of the movie outfit.

The Class III dealer : This guy is one way cooool mother f***er. He has twenty five guns lined out on his table with the little signs "Please don't touch" every two or three inches. If you ask him ANY question he looks scornfully at you and let's you know you are a waste of good useable oxygen. He has the same guns at every show, and the same crappy accessories in his little glass case. The reason he hangs on to his stuff forever is he wants 13k for a registered receiver Uzi in about 70%. This along with the BANNED SAR48 Springfield for $9500 in 80%. The mags in the case ? Well they are there for serious customers only. Yep, Glock hicaps are $125 each and oh yes, the MP5 curved 30 rd mags at $100 each used is only for a "serious" buyer. Sadly he doesn't realize just how much business he pisses away when answering every question with an angry, hostile response. He doesn't at all understand money or the international exchange rate of same. This is evident because this idiot full auto bastard MUST have everything priced based on Canadian dollars. Why would he be 40% high on everything ?

The JUNK guy : This fine fellow will bring 8 tables worth of rusted s*** you never recognize. He has several boxes of stuff on his tables. Too lazy to unload, tag or price any of it, he is assuming that every son of a b**** at the show is going to stop in and immediately recognize something from the mess. Goes to EVERY show, the same s*** and when you walk buy, he is sitting on his ass talking shit to a buddy and ignoring anyone or anything around his tables. If you happen to be so lucky as to get his attention and ask about a specific item in the hopes that the all elusive magic part you need may be hidden away in his s***, he simply says "yeah I have one, check back with me in about an hour, I will see if I can find it". You, being most patient and amenable agree and walk on. After an hour, you drop back by his table and ask if he found your wonderzap springs. "What was that ? Yeah I think I have one of those, check back with me in an hour or so"

The Mag Guy : This fellow sells only mags. He may wear a white straw cowboy hat. His attitude is the worst of any seller in the show. He has hundreds of mags, all thrown out on a table. Many are rusted and worn beyound recognition. If you happen to ask about a specific mag, he snaps at you and informs you " yeah $140". S*** ! Who knew a CZ mag would be worth that much ? If you ask him to confirm the price, he gets furious and barks for you to move on since you can't afford s*** anyway. Nevermind the black Steyr you are carrying and the 5k in cash you brought.

The Kinda Shady Guy : This person has two tables. It is covered with things ranging from LEO mags to ****ed up home job AR kit guns. His willingness to let you in on the "really good deals" on s*** you can't get ANYWHERE else is a testament to his fine demeanor. "Yeah those are LEO mags, but hey do you REALLY think they're gonna chack you ? S***, those BATF guys don't care about this kind of stuff, they are out looking for gun runners. They're too stupid to even know what's legal and what isn't anyway. If the LEO mags bother you, I have a shitload of ones I just refinished myself. You can't see the LEO markings on them at all " The AR kit guns all have selector switches that rotate 180 degrees and some have an M16 bolt. He isn't going to tell anyone about them so just buy it and keep quiet...ok ? You can have an AR with MACHINE GUN parts in it. How cool is that ? The AR's are right next to the pre-86 $179 drop in sears with the copied letter in the little bag, just so you can be "legal".

The Beanie Baby/Ammo guy : He is selling ammo and beanie babies. Well actually his wife and kid are selling the beanie babies. Cavim .308 for $200 a case and Pooch the Snoot (or WTF ever) beanie baby for $25 bucks. Nevermind the fact that he bought the Cavim from the guy across the aisle who still has quite a bit left selling for $149 a case. He opens up boxes of IMI SS109 from Cole and puts a few on stripper clips and sells it to The Wannabe for $60 a clip. If you happen to be so bold as to inquire why in hell he would try to sell ammo right across the aisle from the same ammo priced $50 less a case, he just looks real confused at you and says " I got two cases, you interested in a Beanie Baby today" ?

The Knife Guy : This guy is sharp. He is in the zone when it comes to gunshows. He buys every piece of merchandise he sells off the Shop At Home cable show. The daggers, the swords and oh HELL yes the tactical folders with a boot, belt or pocket clip. Where the hell else is Wannabe going to get the really cool survival knife for 18 bucks out the door ? Where WOULD the Mexicans buy the daggers and Bowie knock offs to keep in their back pockets ?

The Beef Jerky guy : This fellow has lost sight of the fact that "THIS - IS - A - GUNSHOW". He puts his two coolers of shrink wrapped jerky on the table, a cooler of cold drinks and a little sign reading "free cold drink with every purchase". He spends the entire gunshow giving out samples to passers-by. He sells beef jerky to the Beanie Baby/Ammo guy because he is too cheap to buy his wife and kid a hotdog from the concession stand, the FREE cold drink cinched it. The trips, three purchases and viola ! free lunch and drinks. The Jerky guy thinks he is doing well because three customers have bought his beef jerky in the last 10 minutes. He has no idea the reason his table always seems so crowded is because he is setup right in front of the concession stand at all those people are in line to get nachos.

The Doofus Guy : This fellow is in his late 50's or 60's and works gunshows part time with the missus. She sits behind the table all day, licking her little dog's ass and smoking like a f***ing chimney. She is wearing sequens and makes damn sure everyone she speaks with KNOWS she drove here in a Lincoln. They are trying to sell things like Leapers scopes, lame videos, cheapo cleaning stuff and aftermarket sights. They don't know s*** about what goes with or on what and their only response to any question is "what we have is on display" He is pussy whipped beyond belief and at random times (when safe) he has an outburst just to confirm his manhood (as long as Mama says it is ok). No warranty, no refund, all sales final. If you buy anything from him and it breaks well, you should have known that before you bought it.

The Mexican gunshow attendee : I'm not talking about Americans who have Mexican heritage, I'm talking about the taco bending mother f***er who can't speak a word of english and is wearing white shoes. He is dragging the wife who is wearing her rosary and a shawl along with 8 or 9 mutants screaming and running around getting in the way. Wannabe has to hold back when he sees them- he is sure he could take them all. The Mexican is looking for an AK. It is Saturday, he went by the liquor store and cashed his paycheck on the way to the show, so he is rolling in fluid cash. Three maybe four hundred. He walks past one table and another until he comes to the one he has been "looking for". A VERY post Romak single stack. $400 and a handshake later he is over at the Mag Guy's table trying to buy 30 rd mags for it. His wife just looks confused and a little nervous, the kids are all lined up at the Beef Jerky guys table swiping samples like government cheese

The Mag Guy gets pissed and starts yelling and the Mexican gets offended. He leaves the wife at the Mag Guys table holding the single stack Romak, to go over to see the Knife Guys to get a kinfe so he can settle this shit. He will be right back. The kinda shady guy who sold him the Romak is keeping his head down now in hopes that the Mexican doesn't realize he bought a single stack for $400. The Doofus stops the Mexican on the way to the Knife Guy's table and asks if he would like to buy a set of paper-clip night sights for his new AK. He does. By now the Beanie Baby/Ammo guy sees the Mexican and offers him some ammo. Realizing the Mexican doesn't speak english, he decides to quit trying to sell ammo and picks up a beanie baby and says loudly and slowly " PIINNNYYAAAATTAA por El Nino". He takes two.

By now Wannabe is damn sure all hell is going to break loose. He hurries back to the Know it ALL dealers table and buys all the $60 AR mags, 'cause the s*** is about to hit the f***in' fan and he has got to have the real deal to come out of it alive. The Class III dealer is now sure one of the little Mexicans who are picking up his guns are going to steal one. He starts running around the table trying to chase the little bastards off and realizes one of them ran off with an MP5K and is running around the show yelling BANG ! BANG ! Every time he tries to catch the little turd he runs under a table to the next aisle. Finally the little bandito gets to the Kinda Shady Guys table. KSG realizes the opportunity at hand and shoves the kid under his table until Mr Class III asshole runs by in a panic. When the coast is all clear he pulls the little Mexican out from under the table and sends him on his way. He takes the MP5K from the kid and tells him he shouldn't be playing with real guns. The kid hears his mother scream and takes off because Mexican just stabbed the Mag Guy with the knife he bough from The Knife guy. Kinda Shady Guy turns around and digs in his bag, slaps a price tag on the MP5K and put's it out on his table for sale. The Junk guy realizes the Mag Guy is now dead and goes over and offers to buy all the mags left from the Mag Guys wife. Horribly shaken, she agrees and sell everything. The Junk Guy rakes all the mags off the table into a couple of boxes and takes and sets both boxes out on his table.

This is usually where I come in. Everyone acting like they just won the lottery or pissed off at the world. Doofus, Beanie Baby, Beef Jerky and Knife guys have had a good day. They sold something. Know it ALL Dealer and Class III guys are now more sure than they were EVER before that their opinions of gunshow customers are accurate. Kinda Shady guy still isn't saying s*** (know what I mean ?) and Wannabee is stranded on one of the rafters where he climbed up to get a better shot. He is hanging upside down from a rapelling rope and yelling for help as he tries to get to his survival knife. Not sure what he is going to do with it when he gets to it though. The Junk Guy made out like a bandit, but will never realize it because he will continue to ignore buyers and the Mag Guy...well let's just say I ain't going to lose any sleep over him being gone. So as I walk from aisle to aisle, looking for anything I can use, I always feel like I just missed the big happening. Why else would these ignorant f***s be the way they are ? Yep, I must have missed something big.

Original Topic (also a fun read):

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1169528/posts

I just came from another show today (don't know why I can't stay away from the things, but at least I did ok this time), and while everyone was much better behaved, there is apparently a new category to add:
The Zombie Walkers- a group of pasty blackhaired morons with many colorful piercings protruding from every inch of their face and a lot of stupid tatoos. Usually includes at least one trenchcoat wearing dweeb, two or more rather frighteningly overweight ladies, one freakishly tall skinny guy, and one possibly halfway normal person aimlessly following around the rest because they're just bored. Immediately gravitate to the massive zombie display, and generally have no clue what their looking at beyond the most craptastically tac'd out shotgun or AR that would be like, totally the coolest gun for zombie killing ever dude, which they apparently fail to notice the orange tip on. End up milling about a few of the pistol tables afterward, and then magically vanish into thin air. Except for the tall skinny guy who shuffles about for a bit longer moaning "brainsssss" until he can manage to find the door.
And then of course the ever present "Pants On The Gound" crew, but another time perhaps....

Anyway, back on topic-
I heartily agree that a calm, rational opening approach is going to generaly result in a better outcome for everyone- I know it sure would work better for me than just being accosted out of thin air. The Dad could just be temporarily distracted by a shiny new thing, and just needing a gently nudge back down to earth. UNLESS the parent of said child (or the confrontee) is a real jackass.
Then you might as well just steal their peaches and be done with it. :p

Moose-Knuckle
03-26-12, 00:08
Polite Society indeed:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Politeness and civility go straight out the window as soon as a f***ing gun is pointed at me.

scoutfsu99
03-26-12, 07:52
If you're going to overreact every time a gun is pointed at you or someone does something stupid with one, maybe you don't need to be around them.

This is a child who doesn't know any better and either hasn't been taught right or has a bad parent. Maybe, just maybe, you can make a ****ing difference by calmly handling yourself and telling the kid what's up. If he and/or his father ignore you, then escalate from there.

Again, what gun show or dealer just lets kids pick up random guns from tables and play with them? Has anybody ever been to one like that? Most have them with a security wire threaded through the trigger guard. If a kid is allowed to handle a gun, I would think the dealer would have eyes on, if not the father too.

Irish
03-26-12, 10:15

It's been quoted before but I think this is right on the money. Confronting parents directly or indirectly in a hostile manner concerning their parenting abilities will typically be met with a very aggressive reaction along the lines of "Go **** yourself! He's my kid and if I blahblahblah..."

The more you can mitigate any type of hostilities the better. You may be right but being tactful will get much better results.

SteyrAUG
03-26-12, 13:29
If you're going to overreact every time a gun is pointed at you or someone does something stupid with one, maybe you don't need to be around them.

OK, you just lost me.

This forum pretty much has consensual meltdown every time the subject of open carry is raised BUT you are trying to paint a happy face on somebody actually pointing a real gun at people?

I don't think there is such a thing as an overreaction to having a gun pointed at you. And we're not talking about a momentary sweep as somebody flips a rifle over to read the markings on the other side. We are talking about looking down the barrel and a person playing mental "I'm killing you...you are dead now."

And yes it's a kid. To begin with most kids have no business at a gun show because most parents don't control their kids. And when real parents bring their kids to the gun show they do two things:

1. They tell their kids to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING unless they ask first and have gotten permission.

2. They WATCH THEIR KIDS to make sure they DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING.

Now I know some guys who get upset if an adult even points an airsoft at them. I understand why but I try not to make a huge deal out of small things and I can look down the orange muzzle without getting weak at the knees or calling the cops.

But we are talking about real firearms, and we are talking about it being done repeatedly. And I don't find that acceptable at all, even from a kid.

And if people do stupid or dangerous things with guns, it doesn't mean "we" need to not be around guns, it means the people doing stupid and dangerous things shouldn't be around guns.

Your positions is basically like saying if you can't be on the interstate with drunk drivers maybe you shouldn't be on the road at all.

scoutfsu99
03-26-12, 14:18
I was speaking specifically to moose knuckle with my response. From what I can tell, you and I are basically in agreement for the most part. I think that people that always yell and make a scene are the first people to be ignored.

I'm more trying to get at recognizing a true threat and a child playing with something he shouldn't be playing with. I get that we can what if all day to bolster our arguements but I'm trying not to do that. If I had seen what the OP says he saw, I would have gone up, taken the gun away, and talked to him or his father.....not bitched from across the room, verbally attack the father or flying round house tiger kicked the guy. I think a measured response is beneficial in this instance. More of an escalation of force. Other times with differing circumstances, not so much.

Maybe my experiences arent inline with gun shows you guys go to but I've been to them in 5-6 other states in my life time......guns aren't just thrown out on tables without a restraint system, right? The dealer has to physically unlock/give the weapon over?

Moose-Knuckle
03-26-12, 14:54

This is a child who doesn't know any better and either hasn't been taught right or has a bad parent. Maybe, just maybe, you can make a ****ing difference by calmly handling yourself and telling the kid what's up. If he and/or his father ignore you, then escalate from there.

I was speaking specifically to moose knuckle with my response.

My original post.

I would have asked the father to stop his child from pointing firearms at me. If he got retarded then we would go from there.

This is over reacting in your opinion. . . :confused:

News flash, I take my personal safety and that of my families very f***ing seriously, obvious you do not otherwise you would have not posted this.

Make all the excuses you want but "accidents" happen it is WHY WE HAVE RULES when handling firearms. If you dismiss them then you are on a certain path. I consider all firearms to be loaded at all times, it's kept me alive this long. In my AO there have been more than a few NDs at gun shows.

Another news flash, I'm not the kids father. It's not my responsibly to raise the child or teach him. If you see fit that is your duty then I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavor.

Irish
03-26-12, 15:55
I'm more trying to get at recognizing a true threat and a child playing with something he shouldn't be playing with. I get that we can what if all day to bolster our arguements but I'm trying not to do that. If I had seen what the OP says he saw, I would have gone up, taken the gun away, and talked to him or his father.....not bitched from across the room, verbally attack the father or flying round house tiger kicked the guy. I think a measured response is beneficial in this instance. More of an escalation of force. Other times with differing circumstances, not so much.

I've only been to 2 gunshows and didn't enjoy my experience so I never went back. When I was there every gun I saw had a "gun lock" on them that had to be removed by the dealer or was in someway restricted from the person loading the gun or pulling the trigger.

I would highly suggest not approaching someone else's 7 year old child and taking something away from them. You can bet your ass 9 times out of 10 it's gonna turn ugly fast as in "Don't put your ****ing hands on my kid!". Your best approach would be to speak and act towards the child and/or the parent in the same way you'd want someone to speak to one of your family members.

scoutfsu99
03-26-12, 16:19
Not that post, this post:

Politeness and civility go straight out the window as soon as a f***ing gun is pointed at me.

Maybe I misread that, but I took it as you yelling and/or making a scene like others suggested early. I didn't remember your first post.....which looks like we're in agreement on.

I take my personal safety seriously but I like to think I don't overreact to instances where it might potentially be threatened. I live by those 4 rules as will my son when he's old enough. If I can pass those rules on to another kid who obviously hasn't been taught correctly then I guess I'm just a sucker like that.

It's got nothing to do with parenting or raising another mans kid. It's about being a responsible gun owner and passing knowledge and safety to everyone.

Moose-Knuckle
03-26-12, 17:47
Not that post, this post:

Maybe I misread that, but I took it as you yelling and/or making a scene like others suggested early. I didn't remember your first post.....which looks like we're in agreement on.

Solid copy. Chock it up to misscommunication.

I take my personal safety seriously but I like to think I don't overreact to instances where it might potentially be threatened. I live by those 4 rules as will my son when he's old enough. If I can pass those rules on to another kid who obviously hasn't been taught correctly then I guess I'm just a sucker like that.

It's got nothing to do with parenting or raising another mans kid. It's about being a responsible gun owner and passing knowledge and safety to everyone.

Good to know that you follow the four golden rules and intend to pass along to your son. In a public setting it is not my place to correct another man's child. I infer that you have the best of intentions by suggesting correcting the child but as others have stated when you do this things go south real quick with the parent.

scoutfsu99
03-26-12, 18:17
Good deal, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quick question. I rarely post in GD.....I thought there was a 200 minimum post count to be in here?

usmcvet
03-26-12, 18:38
Good deal, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quick question. I rarely post in GD.....I thought there was a 200 minimum post count to be in here?

That is what the rule states.

If you can post on M4C, but cannot in the GD Forum, it is because you must have 200 posts before you can post in this forum.

scoutfsu99
03-26-12, 18:40
Is my computer crazy or does the OP have 26 posts ?

usmcvet
03-26-12, 18:44
No you're right. You can hit the report button to let the mods know there is an issue. I just did.

Pork Chop
03-26-12, 19:19
No you're right. You can hit the report button to let the mods know there is an issue. I just did.

If you read the whole thread you'll see that this was moved to GD by a moderator.

usmcvet
03-26-12, 19:25
Thanks