PDA

View Full Version : Xd tactical vs xdm 4.5

Spudster
03-25-12, 02:18
I'm going to a gun show this coming weekend and I can't decide which to buy the xd tactical 45 or the xdm 45 with 4.5 barrel anybody have any thoughts on it? Thanx

AKDoug
03-25-12, 03:32
You aren't going to get any love around here for the XD's. There is a forum dedicated to XD's, XDtalk.com, and that would be the best place to ask.

Grizzly16
03-25-12, 07:49
From personal experience I'd say go with a glock or S&W. But between the XD and XDm unless the M was super cheap to avoid it. XDMs are quite over priced for their performance.

djmorris
03-25-12, 07:57
I'd buy the XD over XDM. I see way more issues with XDM than XD's. XD's are actually good guns for the money ($400'ish on Budsgunshop.com) while XDM's are insanely overpriced and not worth anything remotely close to the asking price of $575-$700... just make sure you don't dry fire them alot or the roll pin will break. Besides that, they are pretty reliable.

AKDoug
03-25-12, 12:47
It's a known issue and replacing the pin with one from Powder River or Springer will solve it. Dry fire with a snap cap and there is no issue. I agree that the XD is a better value than the XDm.

Omega Man
03-25-12, 14:20
I'd buy the XD over XDM. I see way more issues with XDM than XD's. XD's are actually good guns for the money ($400'ish on Budsgunshop.com) while XDM's are insanely overpriced and not worth anything remotely close to the asking price of $575-$700... just make sure you don't dry fire them alot or the roll pin will break. Besides that, they are pretty reliable.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get so much exposure to XD's & XDM's?

Littlelebowski
03-25-12, 14:30
S&W M&P .45

Axcelea
03-25-12, 16:31
The XD topic is pretty bent out of shape and it gets old how little content there actually is in the discussions.

As a background I was at the point of Glock 19 vs XD and went with the Glock for several reasons. Years down the road and the XDM is out and I was looking for a full sized that would likely just be a range toy (sorry, don't see to much reasoning to support full sized guns as a 100% live or die if a compact is going to be the EDC (the real live or die in most regards) and if shit really goes down and you go for something else it sure isn't going to be a handgun). Came down to Glock 17, S&W M&P, or XDM 9.

Was some deals going on with the XDM series at the time so it was fairly competitive in terms of price.

Hit up the interweb for info (some people I know are perfectly happy with XDMs, but I've conflicted with them in past on certain issues) and on to the point I am sickened by all the crap I found. Mostly its along the lines of the XDM sucks because the first line of XDs, experts don't use them like x y and z, smiths have them in all the time where basically everything was either none specific or relevant and almost no first hand info. So my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to get one for play.

This is of course is the XDM 9 and not 45 but from my experience it has things to be desired but at the same time I think the major flaw and weakness is the magazines. I think they went overboard on trying to squeeze as many rounds in as possible and this leads to feeding malfunctions. That and the grip can get annoying/is probably the most annoying grip I've had besides A2 pistol grips. Advantages come from the capacity (if it isn't leading to a malfunction then its great) and how well I am able to shoot it vs the Glock.

Not sure how exactly XDMs compare to the XD series but if they shoot about the same, have the same reliability, etc I would just go with which ever is cheaper. XD might when if the magazines increase reliability.

Sorry for the rant (remember I am a Glock type for that mater) but I feel there needs to be more meat to anti XD/XDM posts with actual specifics and such of current run models.

ovlov28
03-25-12, 16:59
What are you doing with it? Any specific reason you would need the 5 inch on the XD Tac? I am with others in thinking that the XD is a better option than the XD-M, not getting much more gun for your extra dollars with the "M"

I was looking at the XDM, FNP-45, G21, M&P45 when I was hand gun shopping last. I shot the XDM well and it had good ergo's, FNP was OK, but had more muzzle flip than the others, G21 was uncomfortable in my hands and did not respond well to my shooting, and M&P was very comfortable to grip, but I was all over the map with it on accuracy. I ended up with an XD 45 service (4") and so far I am VERY happy. It feels the same as the XDM (better really, the grips are less "fancy"). Shoots as strait as I will need it to ever :). And has been utterly reliable for me. I also added Trijicon HD night sights, and a TLR-3, and it has almost 1500rnd in the last year with 0 malfunctions of any kind. Zero. Range ammo, lead ball, defense ammo, reloads... everything without a hitch.

I keep it clean, other people can prove that their XD (or whatever other gun it might be) can go 2k rounds without cleaning, but being clean... But I know that if mine is clean and lubed from the get go, it will take some abuse and keep running. Keeping it clean seems to help keep the wear down as well. Mine is in very good shape internally still (others have reported lots of wear on the captive recoil setup - I have not seen anything I would consider out of the ordinary), and so far I do not have any areas where any finish is coming off of any of the metal (other than said recoil setup). Also using a RCS holster- no wear issues so far (6 months daily use in there).

To add, at the same time I also shot an HK45, and it was heads and heals the best. Ergos were great, feel was great, accuracy was great. It was just many hundreds of dollars more than several other quality options. I like my XD, it was a good price, and it has been a good gun for me.

Striker
03-25-12, 18:23
I'm going to a gun show this coming weekend and I can't decide which to buy the xd tactical 45 or the xdm 45 with 4.5 barrel anybody have any thoughts on it? Thanx

If you're down to one of those two, handle them both, shoot them both and buy the one that works best for you.

Letterby
03-25-12, 18:44
I regret buying my Xdm 9mm..... Especially after handling a clearance HK. If a man could kick his own butt I would be that man. My suggestion is listen to the pros here that have experience with battle proven weapons. My $.02.

Clay
03-25-12, 18:48
Since my last Glock purchase has proven to be a PITA, I've been considering other service size 9mm's. I've read pretty much everything I can find on the various models available such as the XD/XDM, M&P, and PPQ. I recently examined several XD's and XDM's at a local gun show and the fit and finish of the XDM is definitely not better than the XD. I would recommend going with the standard XD model of your choice. XD's are every bit as good as comparable offerings from Glock, S&W, etc.. as a whole. Every particular brand seems to have its ups and downs. I will add that Springfield Armory customer service is excellent in my experience.

Spudster
03-25-12, 21:31
I need a gun for home defense purpose I like the looks of the tactical but also I'll use it for conceal carry too until i get a better gun to carry which is another reason why the xdm might be better with half inch less barrel. I've held glocks I know there great guns but personally I don't like how they feel the m&p is ok it's also a great gun but I like the springfields more.

number9xd
03-25-12, 22:18
I had an XD 9 Tactical for a while and liked it alot. Never had an issue out of it. Ran about 2500-3000 rounds through it at the range and classes. It was as accurate as my Glocks and I liked the stock trigger. A tactical is a little more than I'd want to CCW.

I read all the negative press here about XDs and praise for the M&P, so decided I wanted to try one. I sold the XD and got and M&P 9 mm full size. Stock trigger sucked so I installed the $100 APEX kit which made the trigger a lot better. Accuracy was worst of any of my 9mm handguns (Glock, XD, BHP). I had one of the early models so actually had light surface rust develop on the slide a couple times after having it out shooting all day in the summer heat and putting it away without wiping down the slide. I eventually sold it. In all honesty, I liked the XD a lot better than the M&P. That is just MY experience with the XD / M&P, so only 1 sample. Right or wrong, the XD gets discounted almost right away here while the M&P gets praise and issues looked over.

I've found that I prefer Glocks over both the XD and M&P and have standardized on them now with exception of an XD 45 Compact that I still have as a house gun (still have and like very much my BHP's). I've put around 1000 rounds through the XD45C and never had an issue. It's as accurate as my other handguns and I get along with it fine. I like the Compact as it comes with a short grip and 10 and 13 round mags. 10 rd mag for short grip and 13 rd mag with sleeve makes it a full size grip. I've CCW it but find its a bit heavier than I'd like for that. Besides, I'd prefer to have 15rd of 9mm (Glock 19) than 10rd of 45 for CCW.

anthony1
03-26-12, 05:51
You really need to shoot a pistol to see if you like it. J

djmorris
03-26-12, 07:27
Just out of curiosity, how do you get so much exposure to XD's & XDM's?

I owned an XD previously that I sold and I've handled/shot alot of friends XDM/XD. Hands down, I read about and see way more XDM problems. I honestly think the XD is the more reliable gun. I still wish the XD line was a bit better though because I really do love the look, ergonomics, and "extra features" over the Glock.

Although the XD is not what I'd call combat proven, I do think that everyone overlooks the M&P issues and bags on the XD freely. The XD has had significantly less issues than the M&P which seems like there is a new issue with a run cropping up every two weeks - serious issues.

I'd like to know how many people on here actually have extensive experience on the XD platform. No, they don't have the legs of an HK or even Glock but they are better than most other guns in the same 'category' (by category I mean for example, non-combat proven)

That being said, I would not invest much money into the XD or especially XDM line. If you can find one for real cheap maybe but if you're going to spend $450+ then get a Glock, Walther, HK, or even Sig.

911JB
03-26-12, 08:06
I own 3 XD's ,1 XDm and did own 1 XD tactical 45 [only reason I sold it is that I am replacing it with the new XD 5.25 competition version]. All 5 have ben great pistols. Never once has any one of them given me a problem.

Like many here I send many rounds down range every month/year. Sometimes its just punching paper and sometimes it in a competition. I normally use my 40 S&W XD and 40 S&W XDm during competitions. However one day I did run my XD45 Tac just to give it a try. The hardest course that day was the Bill drill [if you are not familiar with the Bill drill it is 5 targets 2 shots per target, with a mag change in the middle and the goal is to do it in under 5 seconds,but few can do it close to 5 seconds] . I ran that course in just over 8 seconds, 0 points down, hitting all head shots. That's not to bad especially since it was the first day in a comp with that pistol.

Don't let the anti XD guys get you down. If the XD fits your hand don't be afraid to buy it. I keep hearing people post comments about the XD being a low quality pistol, however The only actual complaint they post about them is about a roll pin. Other than that I don't see any actual posts about any other issue. Buy what fits you best and to hell with what everyone else tells you to buy.