PDA

View Full Version : Folding BUIS Q's

MH64
12-31-07, 19:55
OK, am thinking of replacing the LMT fixed rear buis with a folding sight. The rifle will use a red-dot most of the time, however, I also have a Compact ACOG that I'd like to be able to use from time to time as well. Though there are times I just like to shoot without any optic so the folder would become the primary sight.

I have a KAC 300m, KAC 600m, Matech and Troy rear folders on different uppers already.
Really like the simplicity of the KAC 300m, however, don't care for the larger aperature and am concerned with the plastic 'precision' insert falling out and being lost. I prefer a smaller aperature in my sights. Anyone come up with a "fix" or some such to get a small aperature with this sight?

The KAC 600m is nice with its elevation adjustments and it does have a smaller aperature.

The Matech I like for its elevation adjustments as well but the mounting clamp seems problematic. The sight is also probably the largest of these and wouldn't mind a smaller aperature on this one.

And the Troy is a great basic sight with dual aperatures and folds pretty low, though I believe the KAC 300m is probably the lowest.

Now I don't really know if the elevation adjustment is really an issue as with a 50/200yd zero I feel pretty good to go.
What are your opinions of these rear sights and what other rear folding buis, (other than ARMS, not really a fan of there folding sights) might you guys recommend?

Shihan
12-31-07, 20:51
Im liking the new low pro MI.

MH64
01-02-08, 20:59
Anyone else???

Erick Gelhaus
01-02-08, 21:13
I only have the TROY BUIS on my personal weapons and the issue Matech on the issue M4.

I've heard very good things about the KAC 600M offering but as of yet, no experience with it. Is the insert on the KAC 300M press fit or how is it secured?

ZGXtreme
01-02-08, 21:15
I have been using a GG&G MADD on my Commando and have been very pleased with it. On my rifle it mounts tight to the upper receiver and I have had no problems with loss of zero or the sight coming loose. When folded down it is very low profile while still having enough girth to grab ahold of to flip it up very easily when needed.

That said, I am looking at trying either the 300 or 200/600 KAC sights on the gun just to try another low profile unit. Whichever I choose will go on the Commando with the second going on a N4 whenever I get the funds to order it. So regardless, I am not getting rid of the MADD, it has worked for me and I expect it will continue to do so for some time.

MH64
01-02-08, 22:53
Had a concern about the rotating aperature of the MADD. Does it click/lock positively into the same spot/rotating when rotating the aperature? Was wondering since that would affect zero even if the difference was small.

ZGXtreme
01-03-08, 03:52
From my experience with it over the past year I have had no problems with the rotating disc for lack of a better word. To switch from one aperature to the other it takes a dedicated effort to move the disc within the sight and once it sets it place it is a rather solid click. Until tonight I had never noticed any deviation of the aperature within the sight that would affect zero. To double check I have the rifle here and check all four positions. Each position locked up solid and each aperature was "centered" within the opening in the sight's body. Now to be fair, I have seen where others have had problems with this BUIS but for me it has been perfect so I cannot not attest to any problems that may be related to this model. I'd gladly trust my life to it on any of my duty/service weapons.

Edit to Add:

I've heard very good things about the KAC 600M offering but as of yet, no experience with it. Is the insert on the KAC 300M press fit or how is it secured?
Regarding Erick's question, what is your overall impression of the 200m/600m sight from KAC? I used KAC products on active duty and found them very reliable but have yet to purchase and use this product. Does it share the same design quirks you mentioned regarding the 300m sight? If you have any insight on it we'd appreciate it bro.

Semper Fi,
Brad

01-03-08, 10:13
Had a concern about the rotating aperature of the MADD. Does it click/lock positively into the same spot/rotating when rotating the aperature? Was wondering since that would affect zero even if the difference was small.

I use the MADD on one of my work guns it is of excellent quality.

With that said "Back up sights" are just that. Concidering most shootings with the rifle occur under 100 yards, flip ups are acceptable. If you need the most accuracy(300 plus) out of your Irons, stay with your fixed.

MH64
01-03-08, 15:14
I have the 600m KAC on my recce/spr rifle as a backup to the 1.5x5 Leuy and it works very well. I'd consider another for my shorty. The aperature is small enough and seems very sturdy.

As for the plastic disk for the 300m KAC, I'll get some pics and post them for you to see.

MH64
01-03-08, 22:09
OK, here are a couple of pics that show how the plastic aperature insert is attached.
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/KAC300_b.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/KAC300_a.jpg

Now the disk is puched in from the other side and held by the 4 pieces that you see here.

ZGXtreme
01-06-08, 00:52
Thanks for the pics and comments. One question that slipped my mind prior to this evening... on a 11.5" Commando which sight would be my best option? I could easily see the 200-600m being the best choice due to the availability of the 200m setting. But then that is a waste of the remaining distance settings. Which would lead me to the 300m only sight due to it's simplicity. Then again, I am not zeroed on a 300m BZO. I know 300m would work cause that is how we based our BZO's when I was in the Marines. What is your opinion based upon your experience with the sights bro?

Hoplophile
01-06-08, 14:04
Thanks for the pics and comments. One question that slipped my mind prior to this evening... on a 11.5" Commando which sight would be my best option? I could easily see the 200-600m being the best choice due to the availability of the 200m setting. But then that is a waste of the remaining distance settings. Which would lead me to the 300m only sight due to it's simplicity. Then again, I am not zeroed on a 300m BZO. I know 300m would work cause that is how we based our BZO's when I was in the Marines. What is your opinion based upon your experience with the sights bro?
IMO, get the 300M, knock out the plastic piece so you have a larger "ghost ring" aperture and just zero the thing for 50 or 100 yards. That's what I have on my 12.5" Noveske.