PDA

View Full Version : Surefire 6PX or G2X?

Bogart
03-25-12, 17:39
So I got a gift certificate to Bravo Company for my birthday and am planning on using it on one of these two Surefire lights, which I've been looking at for a while. I was planning on going for the 6PX as I preferred aluminum, but the G2X is $15 cheaper. I'm not usually one to cheap out on stuff like this (especially over a difference of $15) but, is there any advantage to having the same flashlight be made out of aluminum, versus polymer? If not, I would save myself $15 and get the aluminum version, but if there is an advantage, I would certainly get the 6PX.

I looked around in search a little, but mostly just came up with people saying that they use one or the other, and not why they would choose one over the other. Also, this will be the single output tactical model, if that makes any difference.

GunTotinRedneck
03-25-12, 18:14
Get a 6PX defender. Its got the new strike bezel and the full ON/OFF clicky switch.

SteadyUp
03-25-12, 18:40
I only have personal experience with the G2X (both Pro and Tactical versions), so I can't comment on the 6PX. The G2X has been mounted on a 16" midlength of mine, and the flashlight has seen approximately 4000 rounds without any issues.

I seem to recall Surefire saying that the G2X was not intended to be mounted on a rifle, but a brief search of their site did not turn up anything confirming that. Neither did a cursory glance at the package the light came in.

If I was in your situation, I'd spend the extra $15 and get the 6PX, just for the aluminum construction (not that the polymer on the G2X isn't good enough).

Bogart
03-25-12, 20:42
Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards the 6PX Tactical, but I probably should have mentioned that this will primarily be used as a handheld light, but I would like the option of mounting it on my BCM carbine if I should decide to. So, with that in mind, does either one have an advantage as far as which has more decently priced, quality mounts easily available for it?

SteadyUp
03-25-12, 20:49
Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards the 6PX Tactical, but I probably should have mentioned that this will primarily be used as a handheld light, but I would like the option of mounting it on my BCM carbine if I should decide to. So, with that in mind, does either one have an advantage as far as which has more decently priced, quality mounts easily available for it?

The G2X and 6PX both use the same mount, and there are plenty of options available. If you do go with the G2X, make sure that you buy the correct mount, as there are mounts for the G2 (bigger body O.D., if I recall correctly-check that to be sure) and mounts for the G2X/6PX.

SteadyUp
03-25-12, 20:58
double post.

GunTotinRedneck
03-25-12, 21:01
Go with the Viking Tactics mount. Inexpensive and durable.

http://www.skdtac.com/Viking-Tactics-Light-Mount-p/vkg.202.htm

J_Dub_503
03-25-12, 21:38
If your primary use is going to be handheld, I'd go with the G2X for the weight difference. I personally prefer a dual output light which I think is the pro model. 15 lumens on the low end is great for night time when you don't want to blow out your night visibility.

If you plan on running it primarily on your rifle I'd go with the 6PX for the better heat dissipation and strength. It does weigh a little more but I feel its worth it...again dual output.

SteadyUp
03-25-12, 23:21
<removed text>

If you plan on running it primarily on your rifle I'd go with the 6PX for the better heat dissipation and strength. It does weigh a little more but I feel its worth it...again dual output.

(emphasis added is mine)

For what it is worth, I personally do not like dual output lights on a rifle. I had a G2X Pro on my gun, thinking it would be useful. Then I attended a class where we did a night shoot. The dual output was nothing more than a pain in the ass. Having to click and release, then click again to get a bright light (bright enough to see the target/threat) was much too cumbersome. I could only imagine trying to do that under real stress (at 2am when an intruder is in your home, trying to do you harm). Needless to say, I now have the G2X Tactical (single output) light on my HD gun.

Just my .02

Javelin
03-25-12, 23:37
I grabbed a G2X Tactical (single output 200 lumens) and couldn't be happier.

The bezel on the GX2 Tactical is typical heavy duty Surefire quality aluminum. I'm just not sure that heat dissipation really gets transferred through the body of the flashlight tube since the heat is all up around the bulb (I could be wrong but my handle doesn't even get warm).

Anyway here is a link for the GX2 for $66 so it was a good deal all around.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sug2xtaflnew.html

:D

shootis
03-26-12, 07:56
I grabbed a G2X Tactical (single output 200 lumens) and couldn't be happier.

The bezel on the GX2 Tactical is typical heavy duty Surefire quality aluminum. I'm just not sure that heat dissipation really gets transferred through the body of the flashlight tube since the heat is all up around the bulb (I could be wrong but my handle doesn't even get warm).

Anyway here is a link for the GX2 for $66 so it was a good deal all around.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sug2xtaflnew.html

:D

Use LAPG as the coupon code and save another 5%.

Straight Shooter
03-26-12, 10:21
Ive always wondered why SureFire didnt make it where the first click was the 200 lumen, then cycle once to the 15 lumen.
I have both the poly and aluminum lights, I like both fine.
I think if I had to choose, it would be the poly actually, for some reason I cant put my finger on.

Bogart
03-27-12, 07:53

I'm going to have to go with Steady Up on this one, and say I think I would prefer to have single output for a weapon light. If I need it I certainly don't want to have to cycle through to a second click for the 200 lumens I need.

Still having a hard time deciding, though. I just like the aluminum for whatever reason, but that $65 price tag for the G2X is hard to beat for a 200 lumen light.

And I do like the VTAC mount; the price is very good for a light that wouldn't always be mounted on my carbine. I also like the QD VLTOR mount, though it's a bit more expensive.