PDA

View Full Version : So, anyone have experience with the Browning X-Bolt?

Find ManBearPig!
03-25-12, 17:54
EDIT: Decided on getting one in .308, because it was the better option for me. Also, after looking a bit more, a semi-local gunshop appears to stock them, so I will get to examine one in person soon. A few other small changes where made to the OP as well.

So, to be straight up, bolt action wood stock guns are sexy and patriotic, and I am interested in getting one to hunt with, shoot stuff at the range with and savor the excellent feeling you get of manually chambering each round with, and to be a safe queen, aka, the gun that I did get just because it looked good.

Anyhow, I've been really heavily leaning towards a Browning X-Bolt in .308. I was looking in particular at the Medallion version, which has a gorgeous wooden stock and just looks like what a hunting rifle should look like in my eyes. Here is a picture:

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/images-by-title-name/X-Bolt-Medallion-MID-035200-l.jpg

Something about having a polymer stock on what is meant to be a "recreational" hunting bolt gun just seems a little off to me, I don't really know why. I'll leave the polymer components to my AR.

I'm new to bolt guns. This would be my first ever, and my experience with them is limited. I am sure there are people on this sight who have been using bolt guns for longer then I have been alive who would be far my qualified then myself to talk about the finer points of them. I am wondering, as the title suggest, if anyone has a Browning X-Bolt or has experience with one and can answer some questions I have about it:

-How is the overall quality of it?

-How accurate is it?

-I plan on mounting an optic on it if I get one. Is there any optic or scope mount in particular that seems to work well for it? Currently, I am leaning towards getting a basic Leupold scope and a set of Talley rings for it.

-How is the trigger on it?

-Is there a better option then the X-Bolt for a similar or lower price? (Off of Bud's, the best seller I can find as of now, the model I want cost $852)

I plan on using the rifle to hunt game, with the biggest thing I see myself shooting being wild hogs and deer. There could be shots taken at distances greater then 200 meters at the local hunting places, but I do not believe that is the normal range for most hog hunting in my area. I am also new to hunting, so this rifle would accompany me on my first hunt. Forgive me if I don't know what I am talking about regarding both hunting and bolts, as I said before, I am new to both.

Also, I did a search on the site as well as a Google search, and I didn't really get much except for some dubious post from sources I am unsure about, as well as reviews from average gun mags, which obviously are just going to heap praise onto nearly everything and I do not trust.

I am hoping the people on this site with my experience then me will be able to chime in and help. I appreciate it greatly. I am new to all of this, so please tell me if I said something that seems off to you.

DTHN2LGS
03-26-12, 19:07
I cleaned one for a friend in .243, and I liked it. It is well made as are all Browning rifles. Accuracy is something you have to find out the hard way. But, my friend says this one is shooting about 1 moa. Remember that is a sample of ONE.

You won't find a cheaper gun that looks as good, that's just a matter of economics. A Savage would be a good rifle for less money and has a good accuracy reputation too. A Leupold scope will be just fine, unless you want to spend more money for better glass. Get the .308, the short action is more compact.

You will have to have the rifle sent to a dealer near you if you buy it online. Maybe your local guy can order it for you? If not, ask how much he would charge just to transfer it to you.

Find ManBearPig!
04-01-12, 18:51
Thanks for the response. I have updated the OP with some slight changes based on my further research and your response.

After looking into it further, .308 is the logical choice over .30-06 for my applications. I am a bit unsure as to what a high quality hunting load .308 will not be able to take down that lives in North America. Polar Bears? Bison? For where I am located and plan on hunting, .308 will be more then enough, and the number of loadings for it and lower cost per a shot, as well as making the rifle lighter, seals the deal.

Turns out there is a local dealer that stocks X-Bolt Medallions, so I will hopefully get to see one in person soon.

Also, what do you know about Talley rings? Is there a better manufacture of scope rings for the X-Bolt?

Once more, thanks for all your help.

texshooter
04-01-12, 19:54
I have the x-bolt in .270 as my primary game gun. It's been very accurate for its states purpose. I wouldn't use a .270 for precision target shooting and so I haven't really tried to shoot groups beyond sighting in the scope.

The scope rings have a different base pattern so you have to purchase rings specifically for the x-bolt. I use Leupold rings with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50. Love the glass it's great at picking up light near dawn/dusk and extremely clear. Next to my friend's Nikon there is no comparison.

As for the trigger pull: from the factory it's set higher than I prefer but it has an adjustable trigger which I put down as low as I could. It now breaks very nicely at just above 3.5#.

The removable magazine is nice too although replacements are pricey.

Mine has a synthetic stock primarily for lower weight. I often walk around for hours in the woods and like the lighter weight. But the wood does look beautiful.

Don't think you can go wrong with it.

DTHN2LGS
04-02-12, 12:17
As texshooter mentioned, the X-bolt bases are different than the A-bolt bases. I would just get Leupold 2 piece bases and rings. I have Leupold bases and rings on my hunting rifles, they are good to go. The Talley are good if you really want to spend the extra money for a Quick-Detachable Ring setup though.