PDA

View Full Version : How many platforms do you have?

rushca01
03-25-12, 18:59
Right now I shoot 1911s and Glock 19s. I have 500 for a new gun budget.

I have 3 1911s; trainer, vetted carry gun, backup. I have 2 Glocks gen 3 19s; trainer, and carry gun.

I would like to try the M&P 9mm as it points like the 1911 with cost coefficient of the glocks. I like most tend to shoot the 1911 least worst, due to the trigger and ease of pointability.

Am I crazy for wanting to add another pistol platform? I would have to buy all the support gear for the m&p but the ttps aren't any different than the glocks (assuming I buy one with out the thumb safety).

Plus G and R has a smokn deal on the m&p and I am too lazy to track down a pre 2010 g 19 inter webs.

C4IGrant
03-25-12, 19:03

I have 3 1911s; trainer, vetted carry gun, backup. I have 2 Glocks gen 3 19s; trainer, and carry gun.

I would like to try the M&P 9mm as it points like the 1911 with cost coefficient of the glocks. I like most tend to shoot the 1911 least worst, due to the trigger and ease of pointability.

Am I crazy for wanting to add another pistol platform? I would have to buy all the support gear for the m&p but the ttps aren't any different than the glocks (assuming I buy one with out the thumb safety).

Plus G and R has a smokn deal on the m&p and I am too lazy to track down a pre 2010 g 19 inter webs.

Not crazy in the least. I have high end 1911's, Glock's, Sig's, HK's, M&P's, Hi-Powers, etc. So if you have the money, pick up another one.

C4

Matt O
03-25-12, 19:03

How about 500 bucks towards 2.5 cases of 9mm to practice with the two glocks you've got, especially if they're running just fine?

rushca01
03-25-12, 19:10
How about 500 bucks towards 2.5 cases of 9mm to practice with the two glocks you've got, especially if they're running just fine?

I already have a training budget. The gun budget is separate of the training budget.

rob_s
03-25-12, 19:17
I'm not good enough at one system platform to go monkeying around with more, and I don't have the overall budget to have a training budget separate from a gun budget.

I've sold guns to buy ammo or attend a class, and I still have the same three ARs I've had for 5+ years. I just bought a new bone stock Glock and am selling one of my Boresight Solutions Glocks to offset that cost.

I'm one of those odd gunowners though. I don't buy guns to have them, nor do I derive any joy from owning them. If I want a new one it's because the ones I have aren't doing something I need them to, or because I believe a new one will do something better. They are all a means to an end, and the mid-point to that end is launching a projectile.

rushca01
03-25-12, 19:17
Not crazy in the least. I have high end 1911's, Glock's, Sig's, HK's, M&P's, Hi-Powers, etc. So if you have the money, pick up another one.

C4

Thanks Grant!

rushca01
03-25-12, 19:23
I'm not good enough at one system platform to go monkeying around with more, and I don't have the overall budget to have a training budget separate from a gun budget.

I've sold guns to buy ammo or attend a class, and I still have the same three ARs I've had for 5+ years. I just bought a new bone stock Glock and am selling one of my Boresight Solutions Glocks to offset that cost.

I'm one of those odd gunowners though. I don't buy guns to have them, nor do I derive any joy from owning them. If I want a new one it's because the ones I have aren't doing something I need them to, or because I believe a new one will do something better. They are all a means to an end, and the mid-point to that end is launching a projectile.

I fall into both enjoying/collecting guns and training with certain ones too. I just bought a Winchester 1894 in 44 mag because I didn't have a lever gun (my enjoyment collection side). I have other handguns than glocks and 1911s for fun but not to train with as a carry platform. With that said I do understand exactly what you are saying Rob, I sold an lmt mws to attend EAGs shoot house class last year. Well worth it!

Kain
03-25-12, 19:34
How many different platforms? Shit I think I have at least a dozen different platform designs including revolvers, sticking with just 9mm, .40, and .45 I am looking at at least 7 platforms, P7M8, USP, 1911, Glock, Beretta 92, P89, and a Colt Double Eagle(Doesn't get shot much though). Yeah you aren't doing two bad with only 2 looking at 3.

03-25-12, 19:53
selling one of my Boresight Solutions Glocks to offset that cost.

Possibly interested.

samuse
03-25-12, 23:29
You're pretty much the same as me. I only shoot Glock 19s and 1911s.

I carry a Glock 19 and train with one, but I shoot my 1911s when I get bored with my Glocks (not hard to do after 10+ years).

I know I'm in the minority, but I just can't fathom how anyone could [practically] shoot a 1911 so much better than a Glock.

Don't get me wrong, I love 1911s, but when it comes down to actually runnin' the gun, I almost hate 'em. I think the Glock grip angle is one of the best things goin' for it.

davebee456
03-26-12, 00:28
Too Many.
Hk:
HK45C and P30.
Glock:
Glock 19 and 21SF
and now this
Walther PPQ

Moose-Knuckle
03-26-12, 03:39
To date 9mm GLOCKs for social work.

For fun and just cause I keep a semi-auto .22lr and a .357 Magnum/.38 Special.

Under stress finite motor skills are going to hone in on such things as placement of controls (safety mechanism, hammers, de-cockers, the lack thereof, etc.) the last thing I want if I find myself in a stressful situation is to manipulate (or not) the wrong thing in the wrong location at the wrong time.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-26-12, 05:32
I used to have several platforms, but I recently decided to consolidate. I went from Sigs, XD's, and Glocks to just Glocks. In order to be able to use nearly the same magazines, I only have G19's and G26's.

I also used to have pistols of many different calibers, but now I have gone down to only 9mm and .38.

I can keep a stockpile of 9mm and G19 Mags on hand and that will feed all of my combat oriented pistols.

JHC
03-26-12, 05:46
You're pretty much the same as me. I only shoot Glock 19s and 1911s.

I carry a Glock 19 and train with one, but I shoot my 1911s when I get bored with my Glocks (not hard to do after 10+ years).

I know I'm in the minority, but I just can't fathom how anyone could [practically] shoot a 1911 so much better than a Glock.

Don't get me wrong, I love 1911s, but when it comes down to actually runnin' the gun, I almost hate 'em. I think the Glock grip angle is one of the best things goin' for it.

I feel pretty much the same way except after more than a decade of Glocks primarily, I still marvel at their efficiency and fun factor. I've owned ten 1911s but only one now. It's the finest of the ten, a full custom build, a phenomenal shooting gun, but aside from slow fire precision, I no longer can outperform a Glock with it - "running the gun".

Although I've ownd BHPs, a P7, Sig P220, S&W 2nd gen, M&P, they're all gone now. It's Glocks, one 1911 and the legacy revolvers which are hardly ever shot.

rob_s
03-26-12, 05:53
I am really envious of the guys with the time and money to be proficient with more than one system platform. I shoot once a week or more and am still not happy with my proficiency with the one gun I shoot. In fact, I'm even mostly swearing off the AR in an effort to get better with my Glock.

I admit, I don't get the "fun" of shooting a gun just to shoot it. I get people all the time at the range that say "check out my new gun, want to shoot it?" who seem shocked that I don't want to. Maybe if I get a chance to run it through a course of fire or a drill where I've already run my own gun so I can compare my performance, but otherwise...
:confused:

E-man930
03-26-12, 07:30
Only one platform - consolidated and sold off allot of different handguns years ago and decided to keep my H&K's that could be setup the same. (Match LEM / Heinie sights / 9mm and .45) I found the same trigger setup and feel combined with the same sight picture has helped me become more proficient with them.

The_War_Wagon
03-26-12, 07:36
I was a charter member of the "New WunderNine of the Month Club" back in the early '90's (and then Wunder10mm, Wunder.40, and so forth...), but after 9/11, decided to standardize on the 1911 in .45, and the AR15.

I still have an AK (truck gun) and a PTR91 (because I miss my old HK91, and when I bought it, the .308 AR was still in the 'experimental' phase), as well as a few .22's (one a bolt action, for my young sons) for cheap training purposes.

I look at firearms more as "tools" than "toys/gadgets" these days, so when I buy/build one, I need it to serve a purpose, as opposed to, 'take up space' in my safe. But I too, miss my good ol' single days - before AWB's, marriage, kids, house payments, car payments, a responsible job, and the like! :o DEFINITELY enjoy it while it lasts!!! https://www.m4carbine.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

Surf
03-26-12, 09:31
I like to accumulate various weapons and fire them. I don't care what type of a projectile weapon it is. It can be a throwing knife, to a slingshot, to a bow and arrow, to a modern firearm, I just enjoy it and have had the fascination from my earliest memories. Heck I have a general fascination with weapons, projectile or otherwise.

While I like to shoot and / or own a variety of handguns, I try to remain highly proficient with a few main types such as Sig Sauer, Glock, 1911's, Beretta M9's, S&W 5906 and revolvers as the majority of my student base use these types of handguns. 40S&W, 9mm, .45ACP are the calibers that I shoot the most of and in that order.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being a collector or general enthusiast and shooting many weapons recreationally. However when it comes to your primary use for a weapon (especially defensive purposes) your purpose based training or the majority of your shooting should be narrowed to a primary and secondary set up IMO. Now if your primary purpose is competition and you are a 3 gunner, well you will add a third. :)

DWood
03-26-12, 10:30
Unless you only own, carry, and shoot one gun then you already answered your own question. Now you are just talking about matters of degree. Buy what you want.

KTR03
03-26-12, 10:43
I use glock 19s for my social pistols. I have a hi power I have just because. Sold most everthing else. For super concealability I have a kahr and a kelttec 32, but they get carried very little. I can conceal a 19 about 99.9 percent of the time in the pac northwest.

brickboy240
03-26-12, 10:44
I have 4 1911s, 2 Glocks, 3 SIG P-series pistols, one early XD-40 and a Hi-Power.

For practicality reasons...I am not sure if the Hi-Power qualifies as a separate "platform" from the 1911, since the HP is very 1911-ish. I basically bought it as cheap 1911 practice piece, back before the 22 caliber 1911s were out and 9mm 1911s were very pricey and iffy feeders. Still, the HP is very accurate and a fun shooter so I am keeping it.

Considering ditching the XD...it jut does not do it for me, even if it has been literally no trouble. Might trade the XD for an M&P or Walther PPQ real soon, though.

I don't shoot any of the SIGs very often, but they too have given no trouble.

Most of the time, I shoot the 1911s or Glocks and they are still my main platforms and the ones I go to the most.

- brickboy240

C4IGrant
03-26-12, 10:49
I am really envious of the guys with the time and money to be proficient with more than one system platform. I shoot once a week or more and am still not happy with my proficiency with the one gun I shoot. In fact, I'm even mostly swearing off the AR in an effort to get better with my Glock.

I admit, I don't get the "fun" of shooting a gun just to shoot it. I get people all the time at the range that say "check out my new gun, want to shoot it?" who seem shocked that I don't want to. Maybe if I get a chance to run it through a course of fire or a drill where I've already run my own gun so I can compare my performance, but otherwise...

For a long time I was this way (owned one 1911 and one M&P). The reason for this was that I was of the opinion that I was ONLY going to own guns that I would shoot on a REGULAR basis. Then I got hit with the "ooh that gun isn't made any more and will be a collector’s item or has a lot of history behind it." So this prompted me to pick up SIG P5's, HK P7's, P7M8's, Nazi marked HP's and the Alloy framed HP's, GEN 3 RTF G19's, etc, etc. I have also now gotten the "build my own 1911 bug" which means many more guns will be coming together.

So I guess I am now a full-fledged "gun collector" and simply enjoy looking at some guns (rarely shooting them) and shooting other guns into the ground. How did this "change" happen? I don't know. I am still a HUGE fan of people attending training and being very good with their carry/HD gun, but I can also understand just wanting to own certain guns to own them.

With the above said, I think it is a fantastic idea (from a tactical standpoint) to be well rounded. Meaning, you never know what firearm you will have available to you at the moment when you need a gun. Hackathorn used to do this battlefield "pick up" deal in the shoot house. You only had a few rounds in your normal carry gun and as you progressed through the house, you would find other firearms. Many times, they were Comm Block guns, revolvers, etc that most people did not know how to properly operate. Very good learning experience. So for me, I shoot about three different types of pistols very well and am a above average shooter with the other ones. This is a good place to be IMHO.

YMMV.

C4

Raven Armament
03-26-12, 10:54
I just have one 1911. A .45 ACP GM for carry and a 10mm longslide for hunting. I just swap the slide/upper and magazines for what I want to do.

I carry the same platform in the same holster in the same body position 100% of the time.

PrivateCitizen
03-26-12, 11:27
I am down to G19s (except a lone G26), ARs, and .308 bolt actions in active shooting.

I enjoy the shooting but am as interested in the result as much as the tools themselves. I like that mags always work (Glocks) and the growing proficiency with one system.

I do get the occasional itch like the PPQ. But it passes.

m1a_scoutguy
03-26-12, 11:36
For "serious" stuff,,I use/shoot/train with just 2 Platforms,,my 1911s & my Glock 17. I love them both & both serve me well !! I think it is a easy transition from the Glock to the 1911,,at least for me,,yea the grip angles are a bit different,,but I deal with it !! There are always MORE guns I "want",,but for some reason it is always a 1911,,or a Glock,,LOL !!! Life is to short,,get what ya want & enjoy :D !!!

d90king
03-26-12, 11:43
I currently run 3 different platforms on a regular basis.

Glock 1 Talo 19 - 2 RTF2 19's (I carry one of the RTF2's everyday) - 2 17's -1 RTF2 17 - 1 G34.

1911's

Hk 45C (I also have a P30 but I don't shoot it)

rob_s
03-26-12, 11:56
With the above said, I think it is a fantastic idea (from a tactical standpoint) to be well rounded. Meaning, you never know what firearm you will have available to you at the moment when you need a gun. Hackathorn used to do this battlefield "pick up" deal in the shoot house. You only had a few rounds in your normal carry gun and as you progressed through the house, you would find other firearms. Many times, they were Comm Block guns, revolvers, etc that most people did not know how to properly operate. Very good learning experience. So for me, I shoot about three different types of pistols very well and am a above average shooter with the other ones. This is a good place to be IMHO.

I know enough shooters, and have watched enough instructors, that I know spend virtually all of their time with one gun but are good shooters and can perform well even with a gun they rarely, or never, shoot after only a couple of rounds to get familiar with it at most if it's somehow odd.

Where I am now, I can be 75% with the gun I have on me all the time or I can start worrying about some statistically-less-likely "found gun" scenario where I'm going to need to pick up some guy's Lorcin and make a 25 yard head shot.

Which brings up another point. When guys get into this whole "well rounded" thing how come it's always expensive bragging pistols and never Brycos and Lorcins? Are we really likely to drop our carry Glock (or not have it) and stumble upon a P30 we need to use to clear a house, or are we more likely to get lucky and disarm some thug with a Jennings .380? and would have the "well rounded" guy on the internet even be able to figure out how to remove the magazine or chamber a round on the Jennings?

IMO if you're not an A-class USPSA shooter or Expert level IDPA shooter with one gun you're wasting time with trying to be "well rounded" and more often making excuses for stuffing the safe. I have no issue with safe-stuffing provided we call a spade a spade and don't try to come up with "tactical" reasons for our ego-boosting.

for the record, I don't "collect" anything. I frankly find it ****ing creepy and odd. I guess if I had money sitting in the toilet every morning instead of last-night's dinner I'd think differently. Outside of shooting I have other hobbies an interests that consume my available funds too much to justify owning something just to own it, or look at it., or whatever the purpose of "collecting" is supposed to be.

Kokopelli
03-26-12, 12:02
I only have the 1911 platform (as a working platform), but I do have it in 45ACP and 9mm.. Ron

drck1000
03-26-12, 12:25
I have a HK USP 40c (my first pistol) and a Glock 17. Between the two, the Glock 17 currently gets the vast majority of the work/training/attention. That's the gun that I run in USPSA and local training sessions and that one that I will be running when I attend pistol or carbine classes.

I will eventually supplement that with a Glock 34 as sort of a backup to the 17 and I like that they use the same mags and I can run the Glock 34 with on of the holsters that I have for the 17. I will eventually get a holster specifically for the 34, but I like that I don't need that much more gear to run the 34 (mags, mag pouches, etc.).

I've also thought about trying a PPQ 9mm and a 1911. I've always wanted a 1911 and I think it would be good to run them in USPSA single stack. I some/most here, firearms is something that I am very interested in and I enjoy shooting them and just having them. That said, the 1911 would be a "good to shoot once in a while" type gun with the Glocks being my main gun.

When I first started shooting, the HK UPS 40c V1 was the only gun that I have so I go used to operating it. I took a break from shooting and when I got back into it, I got the Glock 17 and ran that all the time. When I took my HK out to the range, I found that I had to almost reaquaint myself with the gun. Not a bad thing, but I realized that I can't easily go back and forth between the two different operating systems, particularly the mag release. That's why I will stick with the Glocks for the most part, but I will still run other platforms along the way.

That said, I believe I would be able to run a M&P 9 just fine (the non-safety versions), but the cost of additional mags, holster, mag pouches, and other gear required to run one will likely keep me from buying one and just sticking with Glocks.

samuse
03-26-12, 12:31

Maybe the Glock just doesn't work for you that well. Some people just don't get along with every pistol the same way. Maybe if you enjoyed shooting more, you'd just make your hits and have a good time...

It's ok to enjoy shooting. I like to shoot every kind of handgun I can. Doesn't mean I have to go into hardcore life and death end of the world training mode with it.

Striker
03-26-12, 12:56
For a long time I was this way (owned one 1911 and one M&P). The reason for this was that I was of the opinion that I was ONLY going to own guns that I would shoot on a REGULAR basis. Then I got hit with the "ooh that gun isn't made any more and will be a collector’s item or has a lot of history behind it." So this prompted me to pick up SIG P5's, HK P7's, P7M8's, Nazi marked HP's and the Alloy framed HP's, GEN 3 RTF G19's, etc, etc. I have also now gotten the "build my own 1911 bug" which means many more guns will be coming together.

So I guess I am now a full-fledged "gun collector" and simply enjoy looking at some guns (rarely shooting them) and shooting other guns into the ground. How did this "change" happen? I don't know. I am still a HUGE fan of people attending training and being very good with their carry/HD gun, but I can also understand just wanting to own certain guns to own them.

YMMV.

C4

I agree, I think it's a great skill to have, but I also don't think there's a one size fits all training regimen. Different things work for different people.

In Rob's case, I get what he's saying. If I'm interpreting it correctly, he's saying that all shooting is interfering with his Glock shooting, so he's setting every other gun aside. I understand that and I'm interested in seeing if this works for him. I don't know if it will or will not get him to his goal quicker, but the important thing is that he does and he has enough experience to make that determination for himself.

What I don't understand is when guys say they only shoot one pistol platform because that's the only way to be proficient, then turn around and say they also shoot ARs, AKs, 870s, Benelli's etc. What's the difference? Under the one gun regimen, don't those interfere with your one handgun proficiency and don't they interfere with being proficient with one or the other?

IMHO, one way doesn't work for every person. If have some experience and a training plan that works for you, it doesn't matter whether or not it works for others as long as it works for you. The key is knowing your goal and whether it's working for you or not.

Magsz
03-26-12, 13:38
Its mostly about results based training.

I own two platforms.

Glock and a Kahr CW9. The M&P's collected dust so they're gone.

The simple fact of the matter is that on the timer, the Glocks proved more accurate, easier to shoot and i perform all basic functions/manipulations with them faster.

I derive fun out of shooting by seeing results, socializing with friends and knowing that if i need to draw my firearm to save myself or someone else it will be with the gun that i spend 99% of my time behind.

Do i still derive fun from trying new things? Absolutely, but at the end of the day i prefer my power drills to the toys that i get to experience every now and then.

There is nothing wrong with knowing the basics of ALOT of different firearms. The key thought is to decide what your goal is. If you want to attain maximum proficiency with a tool for a particular purpose then your goal and your path is clear.

If you want to experience alot of different things and have a broad database of knowledge to pull from then, well, go do it.

Wolvee
03-26-12, 13:41
I have 3 or 4 but I only carry my HK DA/SA's full size or compact along with a PF9 as a back up.

chuckman
03-26-12, 14:15
I thought this thread was about shoes. As far as guns, I went from being a collecter to a user. All my guns are now Glocks as my impetus is home defense/self defense/family defense and likely competition. I did have Glocks, SIGs, H&Ks, Springfields. I got to the point where, due to time and money constraints, I had to limit what I shot and how often, so I needed to maximize the biggest bang for the buck (every pun intended).

Norseman
03-26-12, 14:20
I personally don't feel there is anything wrong with using a few different platforms at all, and have to agree with Grant and others in the fact that it can have some secondary benefits.

I say go for it, you never know, it might be the "platform" that puts all others to shame. You will never now until you try.

I run Glock's, 1911's, and revolvers right now and personally don't feel that I am doing myself any form of disservice by doing so.

rjacobs
03-26-12, 14:30
M&P's(9fs, 9c, 45mid, 45c) and wheel guns(642 and 29-2). Had a 1911 and sold it because it never got shot after I got the M&P 45's. Been itching to pick up a G19, P30 or HK45, but then I think honestly what do they do that the guns i already have do not? I dont fancy myself as a collector, but I have started looking at older wheel guns after picking up my 29-2 a few weeks ago.

Then I focus on AR's.

Then the Mossberg 590.

After that I have a bunch of other various long guns and shotguns that frankly I dont care if I am ultra proficient, take them apart and put them back together with my eyes closed, making head shots at 1000 yards with because they dont get shot very often and I wont be picking them up to take with me if the SHTF.

Axcelea
03-26-12, 15:04
I know enough shooters, and have watched enough instructors, that I know spend virtually all of their time with one gun but are good shooters and can perform well even with a gun they rarely, or never, shoot after only a couple of rounds to get familiar with it at most if it's somehow odd.

Where I am now, I can be 75% with the gun I have on me all the time or I can start worrying about some statistically-less-likely "found gun" scenario where I'm going to need to pick up some guy's Lorcin and make a 25 yard head shot.

Which brings up another point. When guys get into this whole "well rounded" thing how come it's always expensive bragging pistols and never Brycos and Lorcins? Are we really likely to drop our carry Glock (or not have it) and stumble upon a P30 we need to use to clear a house, or are we more likely to get lucky and disarm some thug with a Jennings .380? and would have the "well rounded" guy on the internet even be able to figure out how to remove the magazine or chamber a round on the Jennings?

IMO if you're not an A-class USPSA shooter or Expert level IDPA shooter with one gun you're wasting time with trying to be "well rounded" and more often making excuses for stuffing the safe. I have no issue with safe-stuffing provided we call a spade a spade and don't try to come up with "tactical" reasons for our ego-boosting.

for the record, I don't "collect" anything. I frankly find it ****ing creepy and odd. I guess if I had money sitting in the toilet every morning instead of last-night's dinner I'd think differently. Outside of shooting I have other hobbies an interests that consume my available funds too much to justify owning something just to own it, or look at it., or whatever the purpose of "collecting" is supposed to be.

I am more or less in the category of spending most of my time on a couple platforms (one rifle, one shotgun, couple pistols) but can jump to other guns I rarely use and even never used with some orientation and can even exceed what I can do with guns I use more frequently. Personally I get a bit puzzled when people make switching from one platform to another like it is re inventing the wheel, there are only so many mechanical differences (consequently dividing time amongst platforms I do not see much a point to either). Granted I wouldn't want to use a platform in a high stress out of no where situation that is a lot different then what I have made instinctual (example using a Beretta with safety on when I've only practiced with a Glock on any type of self defense level). I am not some ace shooter or anything however.

To answer the topic I have several platforms and ones that conflict a bit (Glock vs Beretta) and not so much (Glock vs XDM) in terms of usage. If your heart desires another platform I say go for it and if your worried about mastering one then just choose which one wisely and work on it more than others to make sure it is what will be instinctual, in other words do not train all the time with gun X then go with gun Y for your EDC.

Surf
03-26-12, 16:12
I think what may be of more importance, which I did not include in my first post, is that proficiency or mastery of base fundamentals and manipulations is probably the biggest key to success. As has been alluded to, very very good shooters can move between weapons much more easily as the foundation / base knowledge is solid. They simply adjust or learn mechanical design / features about a new weapon. So it might be more advantageous for a shooter to be able to refine or hone their base skills when their are fewer platforms in the mix. As skills advance, shooting wider varieties of platforms definitely becomes an easier transition. Of course training time, resources and overall shooter ability plays a big factor.

Arik
03-27-12, 08:01
I have a few platforms. I do the same as another poster said on page one. I don't have a separate budget for training, ammo, guns. Its just one budget for all and if I have to sell or trade one for another I will. Sometimes I buy a gun that I normally wouldn't if the deal is too good to pass up. I just traded my M&P9 for an HK usp9. I liked the trigger far better on the USP. Normally HKs are out of my price range but this one was used and at a good price. The trade gave me the opportunity to spend only a few dollars for the difference.

The platforms I have are:
My serious use
M&P 45
2 S&W 5946 (these guns just work for me in every aspect)
HK usp9
G19

My carry to work gun
Kahr CW9 - and Im debating on selling it after I make sure that the G19 isnt really visible. If it works I dont need the Kahr

My fun guns
S&W 1006 10mm
CZ85 9mm

I also have 3 1911s that I'll play with this summer to see whick will be for the serious use. I like the platform but dont need 3 of them

shua713
03-27-12, 08:36
Too Many.
Hk:
HK45C and P30.
Glock:
Glock 19 and 21SF
and now this
Walther PPQ

What do you think of the PPQ? I am debating on wether to get a PPQ or a glock 19. right now I have 1911s, sigs, and a smith and wesson. I hate the S&W. So I want to get another gun.

Rob_0811
03-27-12, 09:31
I ditched my Glocks and now only use SIG P226 or P225 (CCW) and use a 1911 as my Field/Ranch gun.

The HK45C is calling to me,though...and I'm having a very hard time resisting the call.

goteron
03-27-12, 10:07
3x M&P 9s all setup the same
1 kahr CM9 for gym shorts carry

Ive standardized on 5.56 and 9mm and dont own anything else (Other than a few .22s)

I can't be proficient on so many platforms, manual of arms, calibers, etc. I shoot what I shoot.

Sensei
03-27-12, 16:04
I have a bunch. Having said that, I rarely carry anything but a G19/17, M&P, or the very occasional 1911.

Most of my Sigs, Berettas, and H&Ks were acquired in the 90's when I was still looking for the "perfect" platform. Interestingly, my first handgun purchase in 1995 on my 21st BD was a Glock. I then went crazy buying this and that looking for something better.

I've now come full circle and carry a G19 about 80% of the time. I can't bring myself to sell the other weapons now that I have a son. Who knows - maybe he will be a Sig or H&K shooter ;)

Blayglock
03-27-12, 17:48
Glocks & 1911s for me.

mashed68
03-27-12, 23:41
Every single gun I have is a different platform. Im a collector, not a competitor.

Nephrology
03-28-12, 04:49
Basically just 9mm Glocks - 17, 19, 26.

I also own a 1911 but it's an RIA that I bought when I turned 21 and should've known better. I'd sell it but I kind of have a fondness for it. Mostly it just sits in the safe. Haven't had any .45 ball to shoot through it in maybe a year or more.

Frailer
03-31-12, 21:40
All my carry guns are 9mm Glocks or J-frames, but I do have other "fun" guns.

I happen to think familiarity with multiple platforms is good.

blunderocerous
04-01-12, 00:17
I'm using 9mm Glocks only (17,19,26) and I don't think I have enough experience in general to discern which one I shoot best.

lifebreath
04-01-12, 00:24
I have standardized on 9mm Glocks. G34, G17, G19.

Of course I still have a .357 wheel gun, my grandfather's WWII Colt 1911, a 9mm Makarov and a Walther PP .32 for grins.

tacti-cool
04-01-12, 04:08
To be honest I have a few hand guns... such as
G17,G19,G20,G22,G23,G26,G27...and a S&W 642...
Considering getting a M&P45..or a G21SF...

basically i shoot glocks.

durus5995
04-01-12, 05:52
I would love to have as many platforms as I could but, money is a definite factor. Right now I have a M&P 9, M&P 9c, and a Glock 19.

Every now and then I get the 1911 bug and pick up a low to mid range 1911 to play around with. Usually it gets shot very little due to the cost of 45 ACP and gets sold.

MistWolf
04-01-12, 06:07
I have several handguns, single and double action revolvers ranging from .22 LR to 45 Colt and I enjoy shooting them all. I also have a 1911, my favorite, and recently purchased a Walther PPQ in 9mm which I like very much. I had a S&W 4006 which was a great shooter but in an error of judgement, I gave it to girlfriend. Right before she broke up with me.

I like having different firearms. Shooting and studying them to see how they really work is fascinating. Growing up, I was exposed to a wide variety between what my father, grandfather & uncle had plus the collections their shooting buddies brought into the mix. Only shooting one or two types of firearms is strange to me.

Rob makes a good point about owning a variety for reasons of "tactical familiarity". I have shot many different types of firearms, but I don't keep any of the cheap ones. I've shot them, but I don't own any. I think they are a waste of money.

Bottom line- Do what works for you and don't worry what the rest of us think

Eurodriver
04-01-12, 08:28

If this were Facebook, I would like this.

I too have gotten away from owning guns just to have them. Robs last paragraph summed it up perfectly. Now I only buy a gun if it will fulfill a purpose guns I already own will not. And that doesn't mean I'm buying a 45 or a 40 to offset the relative weaknesses of 9mm.

rob_s
04-01-12, 08:33
Rob makes a good point about owning a variety for reasons of "tactical familiarity". I have shot many different types of firearms, but I don't keep any of the cheap ones. I've shot them, but I don't own any. I think they are a waste of money.

One more benefit of competition shooting, especially when working as an SO/RO at the local club level, is at least getting exposure to a HUGE variety of guns. While you may not become "proficient" at any of them you will at least understand the manual of arms, which guns have magazine disconnect safeties, etc. How many times have you watched COPS on TV and seen an officer unable to even clear the gun he took from a suspect?

Also, working in a police-supply/army-surplus/gun-shop near the 'hood will get you all kinds of exposure on the Bryco, Jennings, and Lorcins!
:eek:

JeepDriver
04-01-12, 09:27
Several Glocks, Several Sigs, 1 HK, 1 Ruger 22/45 & 1 S&W 629.

Pappabear
04-01-12, 09:31
Every new gun you get you will learn something. You may learn you don't like it, you may learn it shoots better than any gun you have ever shot before. When I bought my M&P 9mm Pro, 5 inch, I found out I shoot it as good as my 1911's. Shocked me and I still have and enjoy this gun till this day. On training, you never know what gun you might have to be proficient with, so its god to be good and familiar with many.

I do believe whatever your primary gun, you should practice at length and not adapt newer toys as your "go to gun" too early in the adaption process.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-01-12, 14:03
Right now I mainly shoot 1911s. I also shoot DA/SA p30 at least once a month too keep proficiency. I also keep a 442 around for deep concealment. Of course, I have my old P7 which I rarely shoot anymore...:(

I think the idea of standardizing on one platform is overrated. Frankly, if you we going to standardize a da/SA is probably best because if you can shoot one proficiently you can pretty much pick up any gun and shoot it well.

jjw
04-01-12, 16:53

i cant believe anyone had the guts to admit this "character flaw" on a board such as this

THANK GOD i thought i was the only 1. i am not a HOBBY shooter. guns are tools, along with chain saws food and medical stuff. prepping is what i am about. i am a fly fishing junky by hobby.

i sell and train in this industry so i have something to do. dont even have to do that. its not the money its the action junky in me.(also fat guys dont look good in pink pants at the golf course)

i would never have "come out: if Rob S hadn't said it. figured i would be stoned, if anyone found out i didnt fondle 15 or so guns every day.

if it fits a need i buy it. if it is a wrong choice i sell it. only mantra is it must help me protect me and mine. coolness had squat to do with it.

just here to learn and get better. tks to T.D.L. and Larry V, and friends like Lynn Freshly, i am doing that. on slow days i read here

good luck to all of you.

dstocum
04-02-12, 02:19
I have a bunch of different platforms, including my hunting and competition handguns. Eight? Ten? Not sure off the top of my head.

95% of my pistol shooting is done with 9mm Glocks (17 or 19). I keep a variety of niche guns for the rare circumstances when my Glocks just won't work--woods carry in moose & bear country, for example, or when I need very deep concealment.

I sold off everything I have no use for in the last year or two in an attempt to become more of a shooter and less of a collector. Everything I own now either fills some practical role (however infrequently it gets shot) or has sentimental value.

I wouldn't say I'm a hobby shooter. It's just part of my life, a skill that I feel a bones-deep compulsion to improve or maintain. It's honestly not all that fun or relaxing most of the time; it feels like a job. Just like exercise, college, or medical training, it's hard work that I feel I have to do in order to be the person I want to be. If my goal is to become the best shooter I can be, it only makes sense to pick the right tool for the vast majority of my needs and focus heavily on that, rather than try to become a jack of all guns or whatever.

It would be really nice if my lifestyle was such that I could carry Glock 19s and nothing else, but as long as I'm in Alaska that's just not going to work. I'm probably only 80-90% as good with the other platforms I use compared with my Glocks, but I'll take a 10-20% reduction in skill and a gun I can actually carry or that will be effective on my target over going unarmed any day.

rob_s
04-02-12, 04:30
if you we going to standardize a da/SA is probably best because if you can shoot one proficiently you can pretty much pick up any gun and shoot it well.

assuming you think there is some need beyond bragging rights to "pick up any gun and shoot it well".

Mongol
04-02-12, 08:04
I have a few fun guns that get shot once or twice per year, but I only invest the time to train on two platforms: 9mm Glock and 1911. The two are so different in feel that I can instantly reprogram myself to run them. Probably similar to when you pick up an AK vs. AR platform.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-02-12, 08:45
assuming you think there is some need beyond bragging rights to "pick up any gun and shoot it well".

I do. I believe there is a lot of value in not being dependent on any one platform.

Drhorsepower
04-02-12, 09:46
My current platforms

Rem 700
Beretta da/sa

And of course ar but I'm just a beginner!

KCBRUIN
04-02-12, 10:30
Glock 17 and 26
1911 x 2
Sig P220
J Frames x2

I'll go against the new fad, and say I enjoy shooting. I don't camp, I don't fish, I don't play poker... I shoot guns.

I shoot several times a week, because it pleases me. I enjoy trying to get better at shooting with all my guns. I shoot the glocks cuz they're 9 and cheap. I shoot the 220 at work, because it's a tool I may need to use one day. I shoot the 1911's because I like 1911s.

Frailer
04-02-12, 21:43

I spend half my waking hours in a place where I can't carry a gun of my own.

Could that, perhaps, be sufficient reason to be proficient with different firearms?

gunnut284
04-03-12, 03:05
Within any given week I may carry a Sig, one of several Glocks, a M&P, a Kahr, a Ruger LCP and/or a J-Frame depending on the time/place. I think its a good thing to be able to shoot a variety of gun well.

ryr8828
04-03-12, 05:56
SW revolvers
XD's and XDM
FN hammer fired pistols
FN 5.7
Keltec p3at and pf9
No Glocks but I will have a glock 20 sometime this year as soon as I find one.
I'll never be able to hit a plate from 300 yds with any of these like LAV but I don't find I have any problems switching between them.

The 2 that are most often within reach are my XD .45 and XD sub compact 9mm. If I'm in the woods it's either the SW .44 mag or .357 mag. The others are pretty much for fun.

rob_s
04-03-12, 06:20
I do. I believe there is a lot of value in not being dependent on any one platform.

Right, because if I don't rush out and buy the internet-flavor-of-the-month gun every time a new one is announced I'll be horribly dependent on just one gun.

So I wonder, which is it? Is it that if one has a solid grasp on the fundamentals they can shoot any gun well (as those who advocate for owning and shooting with many guns claim in order to poopoo the idea that constantly switching guns back and forth means a reduced proficiency with any one gun), or is it that one needs to own and shoot with a whole bunch of different guns in order not to be dependent on any one platform (as those who advocate for owning and shooting with many guns claim in order to justify their collection)?

You can't have both sides of the argument. If your claim is that shooting different guns won't affect proficiency with any one gun then it strikes me that you don't need to actually own all those different guns you just need to understand where the trigger is, where the safety is (if so equipped) and where the magazine release is. Fortunately there is some amount of standardization on these things such that a quick perusal of the websites of various makers and a trip to the local gun shop/show should suffice for familiarity.

rob_s
04-03-12, 06:23
I spend half my waking hours in a place where I can't carry a gun of my own.

Could that, perhaps, be sufficient reason to be proficient with different firearms?

I don't understand the question, or what it has to do with what I posted?

"gun of my own" meaning one you plucked from your personal safe, or that you can't have a firearm at all?

Guinnessman
04-03-12, 08:48
My first handguns were a Sig 226 and 229 that my Dad gave to me on my 21st birthday. They were both built around 1994 and I still have them in the safe. My Dad carried these on my very first hunts and they have sentimental value. To this day they are safe queens and get out once or twice a year.

From around 2005-2010 my defense handguns were all HK. I owned a P30, USP Tactical .40, and a P2000SK. The only HK that I own today is the P2000SK in LEM. The P30 and USP were DA/SA, and in 2010 I decided to sell those and go with all Glock.

After spending a considerable amount of time at the range renting Glocks and shooting my Dad's G19, I decided to make the switch.

In order to fund the purchase of my Glocks I sold the P30, USP, and a Springfield 1911. I am very happy that I made the switch, and now I shoot more than I collect. My shooting has improved now that I switched to a single platform.

Animal_Mother556
04-03-12, 09:13

I do. Now, when you say "Shoot it well" I would rather it was worded "operate it well". I have always been the type of person to say "a shooter is a shooter is a shooter". If it has sights and a trigger...I can generally shoot it well.

I really do see a benefit in knowing how to operate (not shoot) a wide variety of firearms. If for no other reason, just for safety reasons.

Example that I can think of...When I was about 12 or 13, my local cops had a legit Thompson. A cop that I was riding with took me into the gun locker to show it to me, because he new I was into guns. He took it off the rack and handed it to me. I immediately noticed that the bolt was locked back and there was a ammo in the magazine. From my "research" on Thompsons I knew even at that age, that the Thompson fires from open bolt...and it probably wasn't a good idea to store the thing like that.

Long story short (too late) This was unsafe. Those guys had to get a lesson from a 12 year old on how to operate this thing. It kinda scared me.

Frailer
04-03-12, 09:50
I don't understand the question, or what it has to do with what I posted?

"gun of my own" meaning one you plucked from your personal safe, or that you can't have a firearm at all?

Meaning I can't carry one, but I might have access to one that doesn't belong to me.

The specific details are unimportant. My point is I happen to think there is a middle ground between focusing entirely on a single platform and being a gun whore.

I choose to limit myself to J-frames and Glocks, but I have no problem with anyone who chooses to purchase the "Internet flavor of the month." It gives me the chance to shoot a bunch of different guns without having to buy them all myself. They certainly don't have to "justify" their collection to me; it's none of my damn business.

Pappabear
04-03-12, 18:41
You don't have to justify anything, because :big blue nation got after it. :D

Pappabear bleeds blue.

Sorry for the rant guys.

Harv
04-05-12, 21:14
I started out with a H&K USP and sold that to get a 1911... Then I bought a Beretta 92FS to mimic the Pistol Uncle Sugar issued me. When I retired, I sold the Beretta to fund a G17 so I could find out what all the fuss was about...

I have yet to switch to anything else... I shot a Early M&P that a guy had as a demo... When my state finally got CCW, I bought...... A Glock 19.

I like to shoot and enjoy it for what it is.. I have the two Glocks and the 1911.. I rarely shoot the 1911. I shoot the Glocks alot...

I feel that I'm already well rounded as the great majority of pistols all function pretty much the same, and I spend my time on the one platform so I can master it...

Just don't have a burning desire to own a boat load of handguns... they pretty much all do the same thing and I find my time is better spend mastering the basics and become as good as a handgun shooter as I can.

I like a mature platform that is well supported... Getting the G19 allowed me to buy like new CCW holsters at half there normal cost to find the ones that work well for me...

zodtgr8
04-05-12, 23:21
My first handgun was an West German Sig P226 (stamped slide, internal extractor).
My next two handguns were to sort of fulfill my James Bond fetish...
A S&W made Walther PPK and a 1st Gen Walther P99.
For the 1911 Centennial I purchased my first 1911 (SA Loaded)...
[On an interesting note, at that time I owned an American Pistol made in Brazil, German Pistol made in the US and a Swiss Pistol Made in Germany :big_boss: ]
After my first serious handgun class (which was one hell of an eye opener) I took a look at everyone else and realized I was the only guy running a SIG... and I was hating the fact that I had to get used to the difference between my DA first shot and my SA follow-ups.
At the first opportunity I purchased a G17RTF2 and recouped the funds by selling off my SIG and all associated accessories.
Back on the 1911 front I sold my SA Loaded to fund a Colt XSE that was originally my first Choice for a 1911.

As it Stands, my Handguns are as follows:
Colt XSE Gov't
G17RTF2
Walther PPK
Walther P99

I shoot all of them regularly (Except the Colt, as I am collecting parts to have it customized by SACS). My Glock is my regular EDC gun (I conceal it surprisingly well. PPK is my Summer/Social gun for occassions where I can't always hide a G17. I'd like to make my P99 a more regular CC gun, but I have to drop a few more pounds to keep it from digging into my fat ass, but I'll more than likely be carrying a 3rd gen G19 instead as I've already got a lot of muscle memory invested in the Glock platform.

I currently don't plan to add any more handgun platforms. Any future purchases will either be a Glock 19, Gov't size 1911 (ideally an NM Serialed Springer loaded), or another copy of my James Bond guns ("if you find a gun you like, get two").

My ideal future handgun armory would look like
Colt XSE
G17RTF2
2x G19 (since the RTF is now going the way of the unicorn, I'll just get 3rd gens and stipple 'em myself)
2x 1st Gen Walther P99
2x Walther PPK
[Future 1911s as I hope to someday take a few armorer/'smithing courses on the 1911 platform]

davebee456
04-06-12, 01:10
I feel like I have way too many

Striker Fired:
2 Glock 19's
1 Walther PPQ 9mm
1 Smith M&P 45 w/thumb saftey

Hammer Fired:
Hk 45C w/thumb safety
Hk P30 V3

DA Only Revolver:
Smith J Frame 642

a Daniel Defense DDM4 and a Remington 870P

ZoomByU
04-06-12, 04:14
Currently carry a glock 22 for duty and off duty. I have a xd that used to be my duty gun but just sits in my cabinet now. Might be trading my xd for a glock 23 today, we'll see what he says.

Sensei
04-06-12, 04:18

I think that he was referring to the heavy initial double action pull that exposes training scars that may be hidden on platforms with lighter triggers. Mastery of the DA/SA trigger tends to take more practice and better mastery of fundamentals that translate well to other platforms should the need arise. Being able to quickly adapt to different platforms has its advantages to LEOs who must use issued weapons that get switched every 5-10 years by their agency. It's also helpful to people like me who are issued M9s but carry a Glock 19.

crusader377
04-06-12, 08:32
I have multiple platforms but several are in roughly the same family of pistols and have very similiar methods of operation:

I consider my M1911, BHP, and CZ75B as being in the same single action pistol family even though the CZ75 is a DA/SA it fundamentally acts as a single action pistol.

The Beretta 92FS is a traditional DA/SA and although it is not my favorite pistol it was my first pistol and runs like a champ and I would never sell it.

For most of my training I shoot the M&P 9 (primary home defense pistol) and the S&W 3953 (CCW). Even though the M&P is striker fired and the 3953 is DAO, I find the overall manual of arms is similiar with the exception of the longer trigger pull on the 3953. My future pistol purchases are going to be acquiring a second of each of these two pistols.

I think it a good to have multiple platforms because you do can proficiency on different weapons and just for the collectors value.

Turnkey11
04-06-12, 08:35
Sig 226/228 - 228 is duty/CCW gun, 226 Elite is bedside gun.
Beretta M9 - Still Natl Guard, still need to be proficient.
Glock 19 - CCW/PT gun.
SA 1911 - Hiking/outdoors/wounded animal gun.

RCI1911
04-06-12, 09:53
As much as I'd like to collect guns I don't have the budget for it so the guns I keep have to work for me. If something doesn't function the way it should or I don't feel comfortable with it, it gets sent packing. I've owned several different platforms over the years but I'm down to just a couple now. My favorite platform is still the 1911, with the Commander model being my favorite. I keep a j-frame revolver for miscellaneous ccw purposes. I recently bought a M&P9c to potentially take over my EDC duty from my 1911's. I've been impressed so far. Including guns that wandered into the house because of a good deal that need sold I went from 0 M&P's two months ago to 4 M&P's :D

drsal
04-06-12, 13:45
If one has the means to purchase another gun(s) just because they want to shoot a 1911 in addition to __?___, so be it. For many its a hobby. They want to go from .22 to .38 to .45 just for the fun of it.
I just have a basic Glock 19 for EDC, but its fun to play with an XD or Walther, M&P, whatever, if given the chance. Some people have 4 or 5 tennis rackets, 3 or sets of golf clubs etc, if you have the funds enjoy your your hobby !

whitjct
04-07-12, 09:29
If one has the means to purchase another gun(s) just because they want to shoot a 1911 in addition to __?___, so be it. For many its a hobby. They want to go from .22 to .38 to .45 just for the fun of it.
I just have a basic Glock 19 for EDC, but its fun to play with an XD or Walther, M&P, whatever, if given the chance. Some people have 4 or 5 tennis rackets, 3 or sets of golf clubs etc, if you have the funds enjoy your your hobby !

Exactly...if you can afford it, and you enjoy it...buy it! You only live once.

!Nvasi0n
04-07-12, 20:53
There are other guns besides Glock....Weird:dirol:

!Nvasi0n
04-07-12, 21:01
I should add, i have a 23 and 26 for carry, and 17. I have owned a TON of platforms. But i enjoy guns that make shoot projectiles every single time i pull the trigger. I hate screwing with a gun to make it work. I've had all the kel-tecs, several 1911's, a trashcan full of Taurus', a couple XD's, a few Rugers...got rid of all of them. The Glock is just perfect for me. It always works, and god forbid i have to use it to defend myself or a loved one, i could care less if my $500 investments never get back to me from a lab/prosecutor/whoever wants to strip it down and try to figure out why i would want to defend my life or someone else's with a gun, and try to figure out if it's anything other than factory original.

My carry units the 26, and the 23 are bone stock other than Triji's, my 17 is becoming a race gun for USPSA.

If i ever had to use my 26 or 23...i can get another one. I would cry if i had to turn over a $2000 Wilson Combat 1911 to the authorities for examination.

Semi_auto
04-08-12, 22:56
One handgun platform. The trigger is similar to my long gun which is a plus.

stmcelroy
04-08-12, 22:57
Experimenting right now with M&P and Caracal, alongside my normal Glocks.

Still all basically the same trigger system, striker fired with no manual safety.

kingsford
04-09-12, 09:16
In my mind a platform is a rifle,a semi auto, or revolver. My rifle is a AR 15 Carbine, a 44 Mag lever gun, M1 carbine. My semi auto in a 1911. and my wheel guns are 357, and 38+p. I shot for fun and proficiency. Proficiency is the ability to pick up any of your platform weapons and the muscle memory is there for you to shot it well enough to stop a threat. Keep each weapon basic, when you add bells and whistles you add complications to shooting other weapons on your gun stable. When the excrement hit the oscillating wind machine each weapon will be a back up to your primary.

MistWolf
04-09-12, 13:59
A platform is actually something the weapon is mounted on/shot from. An aircraft is a weapon's platform or a vehicle or waterborne craft. A deer stand is a platform.

The shooter is the platform when it comes to handheld weaponry. In this photo I am the platform- with a very cool hat, I might add
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0012-1.jpg

and to make up for the previous photo, here is one of a sexy weapon's platform- although the hat is not quite as cool
http://discovermilitary.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/m4.jpg

TeamGrazzi
04-09-12, 14:59
Hmmm how do you follow that picture :blink:

I wanted to be a 1 pistol, 1 rifle (AR), 1 shotgun kind of guy however I will be issued a G19 at work soon so I guess I have to be a 2 pistol kind of guy now. Who know maybe I will like the Glock better than my M&P and well.... become that 1 pistol guy after all!!