PDA

View Full Version : Planning next build, my SPR"ish" interpretation, please critique.

ac130usnsr
03-25-12, 23:21
Just planning my next build, an SPR"ish" rifle. Parts listed below, total will be <$2100 (not including glass). Please, feel free to critique my choices (if something sucks don't just tell me it sucks, tell me why it sucks and if possible, offer up a better option).

Aero Precision C.O.P. Mid-length Upper
Aero Precision Stripped Lower
Noveske 18″ SPR 5.56mm Barrel
Daniel Defense Bolt Carrier Group
BCM Gunfighter Mod 5 Charging Handle
G&R Tactical Lower Parts Kit (Option 1)
Geissele Automatics SSA FCG
Surefire Flash Hider/Adapter - FH556-212A
Magpul MIAD Grip
Magpul Trigger MIAD Trigger Guard
Troy BattleSight Front M4 Folding
Troy BattleSight Rear Folding
VLTOR A5 Seven Position Buffer Tube
VLTOR A5 Spring and Standard Buffer
B5 Systems Enhanced SOPMOD Stock
Daniel Defense Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point

Whatever I end up picking for glass will go in an ADM Recon Mount with a Docter MRDS on a GG&G B-Comp (already have them).

MegademiC
03-26-12, 01:18
dont know about aero, so I cant comment.

Take a look at the ssa-E. I was researching for a buddy's build (still on hold since his kitchen burnt down:(), but a LOT of people reccomended spending the extra $ on the enhanced version.

Everything else look like quality, but Im still relatively new to this stuff. Little experience with anything other than my stag(been100% but upgrading soon), but I read a lot.

Bobert0989
03-26-12, 02:25
What's a MIAD trigger guard? Or did you intend to put MOE? If so, get the enhanced. An extra $6 on a $2k gun won't be missed... Lol

rob_s
03-26-12, 04:29
Please, feel free to critique my choices (if something sucks don't just tell me it sucks, tell me why it sucks and if possible, offer up a better option).

Hard to do unless you first tell us why you picked the parts you did, and your background with the AR FOW.

Todd00000
03-26-12, 07:19
What's a MIAD trigger guard? Or did you intend to put MOE? If so, get the enhanced. An extra $6 on a $2k gun won't be missed... Lol

What's enhanced about it?

rob_s
03-26-12, 07:48
What's enhanced about it?

I believe it was initially called the "enhanced (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG015/173)" triggerguard as in, enhanced over the stock part. It was enhanced in that it filled the gap really well and offered a little more room in the trigger area whether for glove use or simply to keep from dragging the trigger finger on the guard.

They later came out with the MOE (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG417/54) version that's made of plastic.

I, and others, have found that the MOE version does not fill the gap as well as the original, aluminum, Enhanced version. No idea why this is, or how they managed to make the plastic version to different dimensions than the aluminum one.

Todd00000
03-26-12, 08:08
I believe it was initially called the "enhanced (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG015/173)" triggerguard as in, enhanced over the stock part. It was enhanced in that it filled the gap really well and offered a little more room in the trigger area whether for glove use or simply to keep from dragging the trigger finger on the guard.

They later came out with the MOE (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG417/54) version that's made of plastic.

I, and others, have found that the MOE version does not fill the gap as well as the original, aluminum, Enhanced version. No idea why this is, or how they managed to make the plastic version to different dimensions than the aluminum one.
Thanks
This is the gap that bothers some people's middle finger?

rob_s
03-26-12, 08:15
Thanks
This is the gap that bothers some people's middle finger?

Yes it is.

zombie killer
03-26-12, 08:54
Looks solid, I would consider getting the BCM mod 3 with the large latch. In my similar build it really helps manipulate the CH with glass on the rifle.

TangoSauce
03-26-12, 10:19
Def go SSA-E over SSA. My Noveske SPR has the DMR trigger, but I actually like the pull on the SSA-E better...plus it's cheaper.

I'd put a brake on it over a flash hider.

MrSmitty
03-26-12, 11:57
I second the SSA-E over the SSA for a precision build. Not necessarily for the light pull though, I prefer the break of the SSA-E. The SSA isn't quite as crisp.

Those are the only two Geissele products that I've had trigger time with so I can't comment on the other options from them.

AGENT TIKKI
03-26-12, 14:59
For a precision build, I'd definitely recommend the SSA-E or SDE (flat trigger bow).

I really would look into getting rifle length free floating handguards or rails over a 9" mid length setup. A 18" barrel with 9" handguards seems kinda unbalanced to me. I don't know if that Noveske barrel is mid or rifle length gas, but if its rifle length, your gas block is going to be exposed as well as some of the gas tube. Not pretty, Not good.

It would be cheaper to get a basic upper, with Troy Vtac 13" or 15" or the Samson 15" or JP enterprises etc etc and it will be lighter too.

I didn't see you list a gas block either. I maybe wrong but I do think that Noveske barrels come with them. (something about a proprietary length and diameter) I'm not 100% tho.

ac130usnsr
03-26-12, 17:47
Thanks all for the input. Based on the inputs and followup research, the new parts list is as follows.

VLTOR VIS-3-A Upper
??? Stripped Lower
Noveske 18″ SPR 5.56mm Barrel
Daniel Defense Bolt Carrier Group
BCM Gunfighter Mod 5 Charging Handle
G&R Tactical Lower Parts Kit (Option 1)
Geissele Automatics SSA-E FCG
Surefire MB556K Muzzle Brake / Suppressor Adapter
Magpul MIAD Grip
Magpul Trigger MIAD Trigger Guard
Troy BattleSight Front M4 Folding
Troy BattleSight Rear Folding
VLTOR A5 Seven Position Buffer Tube
VLTOR A5 Spring and Standard Buffer
B5 Systems Enhanced SOPMOD Stock
Daniel Defense Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point

For glass, I think I have decided on a Nightforce NXS F1 3.5-15x50 with mil turrets that will go in an ADM Recon Mount with a Docter MRDS on a GG&G B-Comp (already have them).

Going with the Noveske barrel due to reputation for decent accuracy plus it comes with a pinned gas block. I want to avoid clamp on or set screw blocks and really don't want to spend $130-150 to have a block pinned.

I really wish Aero Precision made a rifle length C.O.P. upper. I really like the design and versatility of the C.O.P. and want a monolithic upper. After looking at everything though, the Noveske intermediate length gas system would indeed leave a good chunk of gas tube exposed. Not good. If it was mid length I could live with the gas block being exposed, as it is pinned.

So, stick with the VLTOR VIS-3-A? Or skip building the upper entirely and just buy a complete Noveske SPR switchblock upper, slap the Surefire brake on it and build the lower?

TangoSauce
03-26-12, 17:54
FYI, you know Centurion Arms sells Mk12 barrels with rifle gas, right? If that's what you were looking for then you might get closer to the aesthetics to the SPR you were wanting by the sounds of the OP and still be an excellent shooter.

Noveske is definitely my favorite barrel though, but I will get an Mk12 from Monty down the line.

The upper is on what you're wanting. If you want to shoot suppressed the switchblock is a good option, but then your barrel will be exposed which could have distrupted harmonics when shooting from 'unorthodox' positions. The VIS is pimp as hell. However, a LaRue, DD, or C4 rail would also be a solid platform too. The choice is yours, sir.

Gonna be sick. Good luck. Look forward to pics.

a0cake
03-26-12, 23:35
The Nightforce F1 is an interesting choice for an SPR type rifle. In my opinion that optic is better suited for a 7.62 rifle. What size targets at what range are you hoping to service with this rifle? The juice may not be worth the squeeze, if you know what I mean. The bulk and weight of the F1 (if this rifle is to be carried all the time) may not be worth the 15X. Perhaps a 2.5-10X FFP optic would be a better choice. But again, this is all dependent on your purpose and goals for this rifle, which you still have not stated.

ETA: If you do go with the F1, I recommend the MLR2 reticle.

Also highly suggest the SD-E trigger unit over the SSA / SSA-E series. A search should turn up some of my and some others' thoughts.

Bobert0989
03-27-12, 00:06

Thanks, I was in fact talking about the aluminum Enhanced Trigger Guard.

It was more of a sidelined joke, but my honest opinion. An extra $6 well spent... ;)

ac130usnsr
03-27-12, 00:50
The Nightforce F1 is an interesting choice for an SPR type rifle. In my opinion that optic is better suited for a 7.62 rifle. What size targets at what range are you hoping to service with this rifle? The juice may not be worth the squeeze, if you know what I mean. The bulk and weight of the F1 (if this rifle is to be carried all the time) may not be worth the 15X. Perhaps a 2.5-10X FFP optic would be a better choice. But again, this is all dependent on your purpose and goals for this rifle, which you still have not stated.

ETA: If you do go with the F1, I recommend the MLR2 reticle.

Also highly suggest the SD-E trigger unit over the SSA / SSA-E series. A search should turn up some of my and some others' thoughts.

Ok, purpose will be to have an SPR"ish" AR used mostly for my own enjoyment.

I like the challenges of shooting at a distance and usually do so just plinking. I have access to a 1000m impact area and usually pick random objects at varying distances to shoot at. I would like to be able to do so with some decent accuracy while practicing ranging objects and dialing in the scope based off of the info I have for ballistics and wind. Most of these targets are steel (smaller parts of targets on the range, i.e. tanks and trucks). Most shots would be within 300-700m.

Otherwise I would take it with me when I visit friends out west and use it when we pop dirt poodles and call 'yotes.

I realize that a bolt gun and/or larger caliber would probably be a better match for the F1 and allow for the use of it's full potential but I decided long ago to consolidate on ammo and therefore weapon types. So only 5.56NATO rifles and 9mm pistols (with the exception of a couple .22LR rifles for small game/plinking and a .30-06 hunting rifle that maybe sees 5-10rds/yr).

With all of that, it will still be an AR. So while it may not be my go to SHTF rifle it still needs to able to fill that role if need be. That's the reason for the BUIS and the Docter MRDS.

MLR-2 reticle is what I was looking to get if I get the F1.

I'll do some reading on the SD-E vs SSA-E.

Thanks for the input.

ETA: I'm open to suggestions on glass too, but I'm looking to get a sturdy, quality optic with illuminated FFP mil reticle, mil turrets with zero stop, variable power to at least 10x, parallax adjustment and 30mm tube.

2ac
03-27-12, 11:11
FYI, you know Centurion Arms sells Mk12 barrels with rifle gas, right? If that's what you were looking for then you might get closer to the aesthetics to the SPR you were wanting by the sounds of the OP

I recently picked one of these up, built with the VIS 3. Centurion calls it their DMR and it's very nice. Plus it comes with a pinned gas lock. It was also on sale when I got it last month, might be worth looking into.

Alaska3006
10-22-13, 10:48
http://shop.wernerarms.com/Douglas-18-MK12-Barrel-512.htm

Mk12 barrel Douglas

Best price I have seen

lunchbox
10-22-13, 15:19
http://shop.wernerarms.com/Douglas-18-MK12-Barrel-512.htm

Mk12 barrel Douglas

Best price I have seenOld thread bro, check date. Welcome to the forum tho, and thanks for using the search button!

Alaska3006
04-16-14, 18:56
Your welcome
Maybe their floating around in the Cloud somewhere :)

MegademiC
04-16-14, 21:08
I don't understand how people do this. How did you find a 6- month old thread... AFTER you necro-posted it after more than a year of inactivity... and re-necro-post it for a response like that. Seriously, what brought this thread to your attention... its one of those things I need to know before I die... $ we'll find out June of 2015...

Alaska3006
06-03-14, 00:15
Old thread bro, check date. Welcome to the forum tho, and thanks for using the search button!

Opps ......sorry did not look at the date.....