PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Surefire Light(s)?

ddnguyen9
03-26-12, 03:11
Hopefully there isn't a thread already made for this topic. I searched the forum and didn't found one under this category.

Anyway, what is your favorite Surefire light? Some categories to consider: EDC, Weaponlights for handguns, Rifles, etc.

Discuss.

ddnguyen9
03-26-12, 03:14
For EDC, I absolutely love my E1B.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/0c7b2144.jpg

For handgun weaponlights, I prefer a X400 on my 1911.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/8cd7ed76.jpg

For Rifle/AR weapon lights, I have a Scout M300 on my M4.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/87cbc170.jpg

Lee D
03-29-12, 22:21
the LED E2Defender...dont leave home without it

killjoythedestroyer
03-29-12, 22:35
Never used Surefire products before and have been looking really hard at the x400. I was wondering if it would work equally well on an AR as it would on a handgun? I know they are well made, but how good are the controls, easy to use?

ddnguyen9
03-29-12, 22:54
Never used Surefire products before and have been looking really hard at the x400. I was wondering if it would work equally well on an AR as it would on a handgun? I know they are well made, but how good are the controls, easy to use?

The controls are very easy to use. I have the X400 on my Kimber (see photo above). X400 has some features that are better than the x300. The most obvious is the laser (DUH). The other feature is the ability to turn the system off, light only, light/laser combo and laser only.

I wish the X300 had the ability turn the system off completely so it would be accidentally turn on during transport, etc. There is a switch on the bottom on the X400 where you an choose the combination you want.

@ the 9 o'clock position: System is OFF, if you engage the the switch, nothing will not turn on. I love this because you don't have to waste the expensive CR123 battery juice.
@ the 7/8 o'clock position: just the light is on when you engage the switch
@ the 6 o'clock position: Both the light and the red laser
@ the 4/5 o'clock position: Just the Laser is on when you engage the switch
@ the 3 o'clock position: OFF, simliar to the 9 o'clock position

As for the durability, I had to sent my current X400 back to Surefire due to a loose light len. They replaced it and sent it back to me free of charge. I live near the Surefire HQ, so I drove it over there instead of paying for shipping. No issues so far. **knock on wood**

If you want to mount it to your AR, you can. I suggest you purchase this tape switch. (http://www.surefire.com/remote-switch-assembly-for-x300.html) I personally would not place this on my AR due to the fact that the laser is below the light housing, therefore I think it would get banged up over time. I am not sure if the laser housing will be able to take the punishment. But then again, Surefire has a lifetime warranty. I hope this helps.

killjoythedestroyer
03-29-12, 23:02
That was a pretty comprehensive review!! I think I am sold on it. There are some local stores near my home that have the x300 but not the x400. I really just want some time to play with one before I purchase. But your description really helps to visualize how I would operate and use it. I just want a light and laser combo that will do double duty for a while and want a good one. I don't like to buy cheap copies or clones. Which is all stores around here carry!! And that is all they have at gun shows as well. I have heard good things about surefire though and really like their products. Thanks again for the help! Awesome breakdown of features!

ddnguyen9
03-30-12, 03:45
Awesome. Even though Surefires are very expensive, it's the only lights I am going to put on my firearms. If you're thinking of buying the X400, make sure you are doing a bit of price research before you actually purchase one. The MSRP is $595.00. I have found x400 for around $400.00.

One example: $416.50 on (http://www.lapolicegear.com/sux4tawewlan.html)

Another example: $439.00 on (http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Handgun-Weapon-Light-Laser/dp/B002IACKBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333097004&sr=8-1)

Personally, I always liked high quality stuff and would cough up quite a bit of dough for it. But I will ALWAYS do the research and get the cheapest price on the very expensive item. Good luck man.

TehLlama
03-30-12, 10:26
By number and flexibility, it's the simple X300 for me. Run it 12:00 making a rifle ambidextrous, run it on 1911's and S&W M&Ps, with or without DG switches, the only issue is the ease of UALD depending on hand placement.

GlockWRX
03-30-12, 11:15
The X300 is hard to beat for versatility. It's my favorite pistol light, and a good choice for rifles as well, especially at 12 o'clock or mounted on a MOE handguard. The Gear Sector mount can also add greatly to the versatility, allowing you to mount it just about anywhere. I also like running the VTAC L4 or G2X at 2 o'clock (I'm left handed). I like the simplicity of a push button, and the ability to change batts without dismounting the light. Also, I find the L4 to have a little more throw than the X300. If you have the money, the Scout lights are very nice but the VTAC L4 will do everything the Scouts do, including using the same switches, for a lot less scratch.

For EDC, I just retired my battered G2 for a new LX2. I love this light! Very slim and easy to stow in a pocket, which is not really true of the other lights. I like the switch too. Very well designed.

ddnguyen9
03-30-12, 14:29
For EDC, I just retired my battered G2 for a new LX2. I love this light! Very slim and easy to stow in a pocket, which is not really true of the other lights. I like the switch too. Very well designed.

I just googled the Surefire LX2... Wow. Now I want one...

GlockWRX
03-30-12, 16:07
I just googled the Surefire LX2... Wow. Now I want one...

It's a great light. I started out with the original 6P then went to a 6Z (or whatever the original light with the rings was called), a C2, a G2 and now this LX2. It's a very handy light for EDC. When you twist it for constant on, it will first go to the 15 lumen setting then twist further and you get the full 200 lumens. The front edge of the bezel has a very gentle scalloping. It's not nearly as aggressive as the E2D models, but it's enough to do some damage.

It's very well thought out.

ddnguyen9
03-30-12, 16:35
Yeah. I can't see myself carrying the E2D as a EDC. It would tear up your pockets. I carry the E1B but after taking a look at the output of the LX2, it's tempting. I have too many Surefires. Hahaha. Just not enough batteries.

Javelin
03-30-12, 16:39
I have been using my new G2X-Tactical and I really like the single output 200 lumen throw it produces.

I am considering buying another one and the price can't be beat for what you are getting IMHO.

:D

sgtjosh
03-30-12, 17:34
Off Duty-E1B
On Duty Belt-G2X Pro
On Carbine-M300a
On Pistol-Streamlight TLR-1...I just can't get past the switch on the X300.

3 AE
03-30-12, 17:38
My favorites are the G2 and the G2L's. Have six of them. We started with a couple of the original G2s then upgraded them with the 1st gen. LED/lens unit. Then a couple of 2nd gen. 80 lumen G2Ls. Then later a couple of G2Ls with the 120 lumens KX-4 heads. Two of them have been mounted on my ARs. One has gone through @2000 rounds and works. The other has gone through 500 rounds turned on and still functions fine. Surefire stated on their packaging as not to be used as weapon lights, but damn, they sure do work. There must be thousands of them mounted on various weapons. The G2 Series was probably one of the "most bang for your buck" values out there for a long time.

SGTMAJ
03-30-12, 20:34
p-6 because it set a new standard in flashlights and the x-300 because it is the best weapons light available till the 300 ultra comes out.

ddnguyen9
03-30-12, 21:55
p-6 because it set a new standard in flashlights and the x-300 because it is the best weapons light available till the 300 ultra comes out.

I am excited for the new Surefires. Hopefully their rechargeables will great flashlights...

Tennesseevolz
03-31-12, 14:12
I love my e1b led- I had it mounted to my ar w/ a scout tailcap w/ tape switch, but missed it in my pocket- now I have an x300 on the rail at the 9 0 clock position- I like it a lot !

baffle Stack
03-31-12, 14:34
I really like my X400 on my G19. With the DG switch it activates like Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I feel it's the best laser option for a Glock. The mount is also very tight. Much better than the X300. No shift in zero after approx 2000 rounds. Makes for a very capable and comfortable EDC rig when carried in a Raven Holster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/cybin/2012-02-23093823.jpg

Plus it adds a viable way to aim with the suppressor attached. I have yet to get tall sights to clear the can.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/cybin/G19TiRANTX400.jpg

ddnguyen9
03-31-12, 14:53
I really like my X400 on my G19. With the DG switch it activates like Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I feel it's the best laser option for a Glock. The mount is also very tight. Much better than the X300. No shift in zero after approx 2000 rounds. Makes for a very capable and comfortable EDC rig when carried in a Raven Holster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/cybin/2012-02-23093823.jpg

Plus it adds a viable way to aim with the suppressor attached. I have yet to get tall sights to clear the can.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/cybin/G19TiRANTX400.jpg

Man, I wish I could have a suppressor! Nice gun dude!

JW1069
03-31-12, 14:55
My name is JW and I'm a Surefireaholic. :jester:

Seriously though, the E2D LED is my EDC and the X300 is my favorite weapon light. Then there are a whole bunch of other LED models either mounted or stashed away somewhere along with a small mountain of batteries. I usually grab one anytime a vendor (lapolicegear in particular) is running a sale.

ddnguyen9
03-31-12, 15:01
My name is JW and I'm a Surefireaholic. :jester:

I am right there with you dude. :alcoholic: Maybe we need to go to SA... Surefireaholic Anonymous. I heard there is meeting next week at 18300 Mount Baldy Circle, Fountain Valley, CA 92708. See you there?

DocHolliday01
03-31-12, 15:06
E2D LED in pocket.
Scout/Mini-Scout on long guns
X300's on handguns
Z2-S Combat light on Duty belt

baffle Stack
03-31-12, 15:11
Man, I wish I could have a suppressor! Nice gun dude!

Thanks ddnguyen, yeah it's a real head-turner at the range.

My favorite handheld is the G2. It's cheap enough to allow me to have 4 or 5 of them stashed throughout the house and truck. If I loose one it wont be a huge loss.

Korgs130
03-31-12, 15:17
EDC - E1B
Work - E2E LED
Around the House - G2X
Handgun - X400
Carbine - VTAC Mini L4