PDA

View Full Version : Excessive wear on Gen4 Glock 17

SilentSniperVT
03-26-12, 14:45
I Bought a New Gen4 17 about 6 weeks ago recently i have Noticed a lot of wear on the left side of the slide. I only have put about 300 rounds through it. I have been doing alot of dry fire practice in and out of the Serpa(I Know) so its been in and out maybe 1000-1500 times. that is the only wear on the outside of the gun. Any sugestions on what to do about it, I have my M&P9 in a Serpa 4-5 times that amount of time with very little wear. Here are some pictures of the wear sorry for the crappy phone Pictures.
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMAG0119.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMAG0120.jpg

KCabbage
03-26-12, 15:24
Thats quite a few times in and out of the holster. Although, I have noticed more finish missing on the side of my Gen 4 extractor compared to my older Gen 3 that has seen far more carry time and rounds fired.

JHC
03-26-12, 15:32
More wear than mine show after a couple years. Some of them have polished slide releases now but not much more. I wish they showed more holster wear. Adds character. Seriously.

mhanna91
03-26-12, 15:35
I wouldn't worry about it. If you do, however, try contacting Glock and see if this is normal. I like wear marks for the added character. I have had my M&P9 for 3 years and it has about the same amount of wear on it so there is a comparison for you. I'd leave it be.

High Altitude
03-26-12, 15:57
Just shows that you actually use the pistol like the tool it is.

Keep practicing more and don't worry about it.

ST911
03-26-12, 16:29
Normal wear for the nose of the gun, esp against a hard plastic holster.

Ignore it.

Magsz
03-26-12, 16:37
My mid 2011 production G17 with the Matte Grey finish has been presented out of a holster THOUSANDS of times and has less wear than that.

My Late 2011 production G34 with the shiny black, pebbled finish has been presented out of a holster several hundred times and it looks like trash. It has as much wear as my G17.

Both pistols are being presented out of the same holster too.

Which finish do you have? I am convinced that the shiny black finish wears VERY poorly.

skyugo
03-26-12, 17:10
woudln't worry about it, the tenifer treatment is several thousandths thick. The black coating is just for cosmetics.

vigilant2
03-26-12, 17:42
I think its normal. I have 5 G19's that have seen thousands of draws from both kydex and leather and all have some degree of wear at that same point. Some more than others. Don't know if Magsz may be on to something, but it wouldn't bother me too much. It shows you're using the TOOL. I hate to generalize but I find the guys with the brand new looking guns can't hit the broadside of a barn :D .
One of my G19's is really bad though and I will be shipping the slide out soon for diamond kote treatment ($60) , minus the non-mim extractor of course:D .

Magsz
03-26-12, 19:18
I care about the finish because it is applied to both the slide and the barrel.

The barrel is under considerably more strain than the slide is so if black is removed from the slide, so be it, but if it is also removed from the barrel itself at this rate, the tennifer is exposed sooner.

My G17 barrel has ZERO wear on its barrel beyond a slight hint of a "smiley" towards the muzzle crown.

My G34 has a noticeable raised ring where the barrel sits locked up in the slide. Im not happy about this as my G34 has 14k less rounds on it than my G17...

Something is off about the consistency of the finish being applied over in smyrna.

CumbiaDude
03-26-12, 19:45
but if it is also removed from the barrel itself at this rate, the tennifer is exposed sooner.Doesn't matter if the Tennifer is exposed, though. As was said before, it's 0.05 mm thick, and 64 C hardness, so it's not like it's going to wear away. And the entire point of it being there (aside from hardness) is corrosion resistance, so being exposed to the elements isn't a problem. :) The ONLY problem to having the dark parkerizing worn away is it leaves a shiny spot. If that's a problem, you can spraypaint it :D

SilentSniperVT
03-26-12, 20:42
I do like the look of it but a friend has a Gen 3 Glock 17 he has had for years with thousands of rounds running a Serpa without as much wear as mine. Also my barrel has no sign of wear on it yet where the slide is down to the silver. Other then the wear and no Night Sights I'm Pretty happy with the gun.

High Altitude
03-26-12, 21:33
Every now and then Glock changes the finish on the slide and barrel. Each wears different, some fast, some slow, but won't change how the metal itself is conditioned.

Magsz
03-27-12, 12:05
Doesn't matter if the Tennifer is exposed, though. As was said before, it's 0.05 mm thick, and 64 C hardness, so it's not like it's going to wear away. And the entire point of it being there (aside from hardness) is corrosion resistance, so being exposed to the elements isn't a problem. :) The ONLY problem to having the dark parkerizing worn away is it leaves a shiny spot. If that's a problem, you can spraypaint it :D

I dont think you read the entirety of my post, or i did not elaborate well enough.

On my G17 the matte black surface coating with a non pebbled texture is wearing VERY well. Whatever surface prep Glock did to the metal is exceptional.

On my G34, the barrel is exhibiting "smileys" far sooner than it should and there is a raised ridge where the barrel locks up with the slide. Not to mention, the barrel hood has worn as much as my G17 which has a boat load more rounds on it.

We ALL know that tennifer is not created equal as evidenced by the issues that S&W had with poor quality control during their melonite process of the slide. Cracking, rust issues etc were present although not prevalent.

I have concerns about the integrity of the metal or the quality of the surface prep present on my G34. It really has very little to do with how the black looks and more with the "why does one wear better than the other"?

At the end of the day, i will shoot my guns until they break regardless of how they look BUT i am a big fan of consistency.

CumbiaDude
03-27-12, 16:22
I dont think you read the entirety of my post, or i did not elaborate well enough.Gotcha, I see you're more talking about the difference between the two and what's up with that issue. I was more focused on the Tennifer being exposed and it's not as much of an issue.

I only have one Glock, so it's always consistent with itself :D

Vash1023
03-27-12, 17:07
this is not a fact....

but i overheard somewhere that glock changed the finishing process for the gen4's to comply with some EPA B.S.

DOA
03-27-12, 21:10
At the end of the day, i will shoot my guns until they break regardless of how they look BUT i am a big fan of consistency.

These are production guns, not custom pieces. If your THAT worried about it, contact Glock and see if they will refinish it for you.

Magsz
03-27-12, 21:23
These are production guns, not custom pieces. If your THAT worried about it, contact Glock and see if they will refinish it for you.

Did you even read any of the posts that i put up?

You even quoted me where i said i would shoot my guns until they break. IF i start experiencing lock up/accuracy issues due to the barrel wearing unevenly then i will contact Glock.

In the meantime, i am noting my observations as this is a discussion forum and the topic of this thread was about wear on the Glock series of pistols.

High Altitude
03-27-12, 21:24
I have barrels that show a good amount of wear after a couple hundred rounds from pistols manufactured in 2006. I have barrels that show zero wear after a thousand rounds from recent gen4 pistols.

Glock changes the finish that is over the nitrocarburized metal frequently and these finishes have very different wear rates. The metal is still case hardened even if the finish wears right off.

Now if you are getting gouges in the metal, I would be concerned.

Post some pics so we can see what you are talking about.

The barrel is under considerably more strain than the slide is so if black is removed from the slide, so be it, but if it is also removed from the barrel itself at this rate, the tennifer is exposed sooner.

My G17 barrel has ZERO wear on its barrel beyond a slight hint of a "smiley" towards the muzzle crown.

My G34 has a noticeable raised ring where the barrel sits locked up in the slide. Im not happy about this as my G34 has 14k less rounds on it than my G17...

Something is off about the consistency of the finish being applied over in smyrna.

ygbsm
03-28-12, 15:19
I dont think you read the entirety of my post, or i did not elaborate well enough.

On my G17 the matte black surface coating with a non pebbled texture is wearing VERY well. Whatever surface prep Glock did to the metal is exceptional.

On my G34, the barrel is exhibiting "smileys" far sooner than it should and there is a raised ridge where the barrel locks up with the slide. Not to mention, the barrel hood has worn as much as my G17 which has a boat load more rounds on it.

We ALL know that tennifer is not created equal as evidenced by the issues that S&W had with poor quality control during their melonite process of the slide. Cracking, rust issues etc were present although not prevalent.

I have concerns about the integrity of the metal or the quality of the surface prep present on my G34. It really has very little to do with how the black looks and more with the "why does one wear better than the other"?

It's not a big deal. The finish on the older Glock pistols is the tenifer finish coated with a phosphate. The newer finish is the nitrate finish. The change came about when Glock started producing pistols in the United States, as the EPA had a shit fit when Glock wanted to use a process that had sulphuric acid and produced chlorine gas.

Don't worry about the consistency, it is merely cosmetic. If its a huge deal paint it, but there is no long-term difference in quality of the finish.

Quality of the metal-if you are really super duper concerned, send it in to Glock. If the pistol is running flawlessly otherwise, don't fret.

Also, the nitrate finish is only a couple of points less on the Rockwell hardness scale than the tenifer. On something that hits around 62-63 on the Rockwell scale, it would take something more than holster wear to degrade it.

Mjolnir
03-28-12, 19:53
It's not a big deal. The finish on the older Glock pistols is the tenifer finish coated with a phosphate. The newer finish is the nitrate finish. The change came about when Glock started producing pistols in the United States, as the EPA had a shit fit when Glock wanted to use a process that had sulphuric acid and produced chlorine gas.

Don't worry about the consistency, it is merely cosmetic. If its a huge deal paint it, but there is no long-term difference in quality of the finish.

Quality of the metal-if you are really super duper concerned, send it in to Glock. If the pistol is running flawlessly otherwise, don't fret.

Also, the nitrate finish is only a couple of points less on the Rockwell hardness scale than the tenifer. On something that hits around 62-63 on the Rockwell scale, it would take something more than holster wear to degrade it.

I do not believe this to be true. It's still Ferritic Nitrocarburization. Whatever they are now using is poor. I have similar muzzle wear on the left side of the slide.

Now that I have what appears to be consistent ejection from them a trip to IonBond is being prepared. The poor topcoat will be removed and W DLC applied.

skyugo
04-04-12, 03:17

you've actually managed to wear enough metal to feel it? wow.. the barrel hood of my G19 is slightly worn, and lots of black has come off (17k-ish on that gun).. I'd consider sending that barrel back though... maybe faulty treatment.

Unicorn
04-04-12, 03:27
Is it the surface of the Tennifer treated slide that is wearing? The metal itself? Or just the cosmetic coloring applied over the top of it?
It seems that you're worried that since the black on one is wearing so fast, it must also mean that there could be problems with the actual Tennifer treated slide and barrel. I wouldn't worry about it. The black is an additional finish and has varied over the years.