PDA

View Full Version : Gen4 Glock 17 Malfunction

SilentSniperVT
03-26-12, 14:57
I recently bought a New Gen4 17 and outta about 300 rounds only had this one weird malfunction. I was shooting Saturday and towards the end of my Range session I had Loaded one round into chamber by hand without a Magazine in the gun when i shot it the Spent casing flipped end down the Slide closed on the primer end of the Case. I was shooting Federal Range and Target 115GR FMJ 9mm RT9115. I never seen this before so I tried to see if it would do it again a few times but ejected fine. here is a few pictures of the malfucntion.
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMAG0121.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMAG0123.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMAG0122.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMAG0124.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss206/vtpaintballers/Guns/IMAG0125.jpg

Guns-up.50
03-26-12, 15:34
Did you limp wrist it?

JHC
03-26-12, 15:35
Most folks say that most pistols will not fully cycle when fired without a magazine. I've only tried it in a 2 or 3 of our Glocks and they did. I need to remember to document which ones will and which won't as I think it was Platoon Daddy asking for feedback on this on another thread.

High Altitude
03-26-12, 15:48
Don't load a round into the chamber by hand and drop the slide on it. It isn't good for the extractor and you can break it.

Some guns, will have ejection failures if there is no magazine in the firearm.

Magsz
03-26-12, 16:47
Don't load a round into the chamber by hand and drop the slide on it. It isn't good for the extractor and you can break it.

You're going to be hard pressed to break an extractor in a Glock or M&P like that.

A 1911, perhaps but a modern service weapon? Probably not.

There is still no reason to breach load a semi auto so i do agree with you on that.

Now, to the OP, yes, that is a WEIRD malfunction but its not considering how widespread the issues are with recent production Glocks.

Your extractor lost its grip on the case rim at some point during the extraction cycle and the case essentially tumbled in your ejection port and was pinned by the slide as the gun returned to battery.

The follower in the mag or the next round in the magazine acts as a buffer to the spent casing so generally speaking you would either stove pipe or the round would be kicked free by your ejector.

SOME glocks will hold the case rim tightly against the breechface without a magazine in the gun and WILL eject the round positively. Others, will not and the spent casing will tumble out of the magazine well.

Littlelebowski
03-26-12, 17:10

Not a Glock. Maybe a 1911.

SilentSniperVT
03-26-12, 20:39
I didn't Limp Wrist the gun i was just figuring it was because there was no magazine in the gun. I did try to limp Wrist earlier it to see if it would cause a malfunction but functioned flawlessly so I'm Pretty happy with the gun so far.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-27-12, 00:18
My Gen 3 Glocks will not eject rounds without a magazine present. They fall right through the mag well. Ive never had a malf like that, but I could see how it might happen.

samuse
03-27-12, 10:39
It's a weird malfunction because you were doing weird shit with your gun.

Load it with the magazine and shoot it with the magazine in it and it'll work right.

Don't worry about it.

RyanS
03-27-12, 12:56
Are the first three pictures "the" malfunction of which you are describing, or a recreation of the malfunction?

SilentSniperVT
03-27-12, 21:37
Are the first three pictures "the" malfunction of which you are describing, or a recreation of the malfunction?

It is the actual malfunction it happened and I grabbed my phone and took the pictures.

RyanS
03-27-12, 22:04
It is the actual malfunction it happened and I grabbed my phone and took the pictures.

I'm comfused. From the 3rd pic down, that doesn't appear to be a spent shell casing.

G19A3
03-27-12, 22:52
You're going to be hard pressed to break an extractor in a Glock or M&P like that.

A 1911, perhaps but a modern service weapon? Probably not.

Happened to me. Badly chipped a Glock 19 extractor. Loading directly into the barrel's chamber and dropping the slide via the slide stop used to be my SOP.

Sent it back to Glock and they said not to do that. A cartridge is designed to slip under the extractor's claw upon cycling up from the mag going into the chamber. If you slowly hand cycle a round, you will see this.

AND as the cartridge slips under the extractor while cycling, the round will push the firing pin backwards into its hole. This is why I believe Glock designed the firing pin head with an angled, arrow-like shape. Conversely, if you load a round directly into the chamber and release the slide, there is a .000000000001% chance the firing pin may be ever so slightly jammed in the forwad position (i.e. Due to dirt/oil in the firing pin channel) and ignite a cartrige.

Additionally, even if the extractor doesn't chip, a cartridge's rim may be damaged by the force of an extractor slamming into it.

Lots of threads on this. Definitely not advisable. Why take a chance?

Denali
03-27-12, 23:07
My Gen 3 Glocks will not eject rounds without a magazine present. They fall right through the mag well. Ive never had a malf like that, but I could see how it might happen.

Interesting, I've noted some other curious eccentricities associated with Glock ejection. On my G26's, and G19's, regardless of ammo, the pistols struggle to eject the last round fired, and the magazine empty. I've also long been aware that many of the supposed gen4 malfunctions, have actually been there with Glock from the very begining, particularly erratic ejection of cartridges, especially the 9mm & .45 ACP Glocks.

Another thing I've noted, is a tremendous increase in felt recoil with the gen4 G19's(I own two)with typical defense grade ammo, but especially the +P, and +P+ stuff that I've long fed my Glock 9mm pistols. For instance, I had been feeding Federal 9BPLE through my Glocks for years with absolute comfort, and mechanical reliability. The gen4 G19's(at least mine :))have demonstrated a striking increase in this preception, yet transition back to the gen3's and it vanishes. Anybody else notice such an increase?

Mjolnir
03-28-12, 19:57

Ned Christiansen set up a test in which a 1912 extractor was deflected and it ran for some insane amount of cycles with no failures. I apologize for not being able to quote the number of cycles - I cannot put my hands on my notes - but it was enough to dispel the concern.

I don't see a pressing need to load a cartridge in that manner but you won't break the extractor or SHOULD NOT.

Heavy Metal
03-28-12, 20:21

It will, trust me on this. Both my Gen 3 19's will do it and they are 06 and 07 models.

This is typical single-loading without the mag.