PDA

View Full Version : New 9mm pistol recommendation

Clay
03-26-12, 17:54
A coworker asked me today what new pistol he should buy for CCW use, and I have to say I was hesitant to give a recommendation. The last three pistols I've bought have been Glock's and I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy a new 9mm Glock, or M&P for that matter, based on my recent experiences and the reading I've been doing on the various forums and blogs.

What new 9mm pistols seem to be doing well?

Thanks,

Clay

RD62
03-26-12, 18:16
Buy a used Glock 9mm.

They are cheap, abundant, and currently more reliable then NIB.

AIM Surplus currently has Gen 2 Glock 199mm police trade ins.

If I hadn't just ordered an LMT MWS I'd snag one myself.

sarge1967
03-26-12, 18:23
Check out the Walther PPQ. Great pistol!

Sensei
03-26-12, 18:26
In order of preference excluding Glock or M&P:

1) PPQ
2) P30
3) FNS

sarge1967
03-26-12, 18:28
In order of preference excluding Glock or M&P:

1) PPQ
2) P30
3) FNS

All great recommendations!

Gadfly
03-26-12, 18:32
We have quite a few Glock 26's and Glock 17's bought as personal purchase by some of our officers. About 25 or so Gen 4s... Zero issues. I know that a lot of people report problems with Gen 4 guns, but we have yet to have any issue pop up with the new guns over the past year. I have yet to see a malfunction on one.

Granted, with our shooting qualifications/round counts, these guns only have about 400 rounds through them if they only shoot the bare minimum. I can not say if they practice more on their own. Not sure if it matters, but duty ammo issued for quals is all 124grn +p Speer Lawman and Gold Dots. No cheap or low power ammo. (I would have expected them to all self destruct given some range reports I have seen.)

I would take a chance on Glock. Assuming the correct recoil spring is in place.

PrivateCitizen
03-26-12, 18:45
Internet hype over either the M&P or Glocks being unserviceable is just a truck load of nonsense. It has no place here.

ANY pistol should be vetted as a self defense primary. If that means you spend $18 on a lone wolf extractor etc … so what? Or a $9 spring? BFD.

All this gnashing over less than the cost of one day at the range is absurd.

A Glock or M&P can be verified on a shoot and fixes are a KNOWN. Get one, get it ready, and run it.

That the dialog drifts selecting some unproven replacement make (sans perhaps the P30) is the bigger bowl of dumb, if you ask me.

mallowpufft
03-26-12, 18:54
I've got an M&P 9c that has functioned perfectly. I've put a few hundred rounds through a buddies 4th gen glock w/o issue.
I'm looking at an LCR for my summer time carry. Smoothest trigger I've felt on a compact revolver and I've no qualms about the effectiveness of .38 at the ranges I'm concerned with.
If I was doing it all over I'd pick up the PPQ or a full size M&P and have the grip cut down for the compact mags and call it the greatest thing in my pocket since that party in college when a drunken nursing student got friendly.

Clay
03-26-12, 18:56
I'm not sure that all the verified problems that Glock and S&W pistols are having constitute internet hype, nor the responses many are getting from said companies. Glock "may" have addressed their problem with a new ejector, if you can get one, regardless of whether your ship your gun back to them or not. I'm not aware of S&W offering any kind of fix for the accuracy problems many have had.

I'm also not willing to say "BFD" to basically rebuilding a new pistol using aftermarket parts in order to get the thing running.

Scar face
03-26-12, 19:05
Have you ever shoot a +p load and feel exactly like shooting a normal pressure load?

Enter HK P30.

I don't want to sound like a fanboy, and don't want you and your friend to take my words for it. Go hold one, you'll fall in love. Then, go shoot one and decide if the gun is right for you.

As far as reliability goes, HK is one of a very few that hasn't goofed off like many manufactures do as of late. Go check it out, I'm not kidding you! ;)

Talon167
03-26-12, 19:16
Yea, P30 would be my recommendation as well.

Gadfly
03-26-12, 19:20
Just to clarify, I believe the reports on Gen 4 Glock 17 problems. But I have yet to personally see any issues with them in our agency pistols.

That said, I have a personally owned Gen 4 model 22, and I have dropped a storm lake 9mm conversion barrel into it. It has had 2 malfunctions in about 700 rounds... but, it is not using a specific 9mm recoil spring.

ralph
03-26-12, 19:26
PPQ. I've had no problems with mine..good trigger, very accurate, no failures in about 2500rnds..

falnovice
03-26-12, 19:35
My two cents:
I suggest a lightly used Glock 19.
The only other gun that immediately pops into my head as an alternative if they don't like the glock action or grip is the SIG 2022 9mm. Really excellent gun. In my opinion probably the best bang for the buck in brand new guns right now.

For the record, I gave up Glocks for XDs, gave up the XDs for M&Ps, and basically gave up the M&Ps to return all the way to the begining which is a lightly customized BHP for my 9mm needs. I won't say I have owned everything, but pretty damn close.

Having said that my 9mm handgun suggestion for defense hasn't changed over the last 10-15 years. All a used Glock 19 needs as far as I am concerned is a new set of sights. There are all sorts of tweaks people like but they aren't needed in a defensive pistol, and probably best not for the beginner.

I really enjoy the M&P's but they seems to be having issues with the 9mm's. Never had any problems with mine (two). Hope they get it squared away soon. M&P9 with a decent trigger, night sights and Crimson Trace grips is just about the perfect combo for the non-gun person who wants something for self defense.

Of course, I am am picking up a PPQ soon to evaluate so we will see if my opinion changes.
:D

Clay
03-26-12, 19:51
Thanks guys for the advice. I've been interested in the P30 and PPQ myself. I've also been surprised by the positive reports I've read about the SigPro 2022. Good news.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the new offerings from Ruger or Beretta?

accce
03-26-12, 20:39
H&K P7M8

dahoeb
03-26-12, 21:11
Shot a XDm 9mm compact recently and was pretty impressed. Great ergonomics and handling. Between myself and some friends, we fired about 200rnds through it with no malfunctions. If its reliability holds similar to my XD .40 (1000+- rnds, no failures), then it'd be a good option to look at.

FChen17213
03-27-12, 03:26
Just get a Gen3 Glock 17 or 19 with a serial number prefix F** to N** and you should be good to go. Avoid anything after N-prefix to be safe. That being said, I have heard that the latest guns made in the last few months are also good. We will see I guess.

NinjaTactics
03-27-12, 14:56
If he/she wants a small single stack 9mm, I'd recommend the Walther PPS. If he/she wants a larger capacity or slightly larger frame I'd recommend the Walther PPQ. Both are stellar guns.

loupav
03-27-12, 16:05
I'd recommend a P30, but I love HKs. So my opinion is somewhat biased....very biased.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-27-12, 17:17
1.P2000
2. P30
3. Save and get 1 or 2

ARonBoard
03-27-12, 17:56
P30. I have a G19 as well, but Im going to sell it and train solely with the P30 going forward.

packinaglock
03-27-12, 18:38
I guess I must be lucky? My gen 4 26,27,23,&19 have all been flawless. My M&P 9c & .40c also flawless. Hell my PM9 that many people bitch about has been perfect too, I once put a mag extension on one of the mags that caused some FTFeed's but I removed it and never another issue.

jstrange
03-27-12, 19:33
There is good and bad to be had with anty service style pistol from any major brand. I really dont think you can go wrong with Glock, M&P, H&K, and so on.

With that being said, I would also highly recommend the Walther PPQ. Very nice gun that has a lot going for it. Dont take my word for it try one for yourself.

Jstrange

shua713
03-27-12, 19:45
Buy a used Glock 9mm.

They are cheap, abundant, and currently more reliable then NIB.

AIM Surplus currently has Gen 2 Glock 199mm police trade ins.

If I hadn't just ordered an LMT MWS I'd snag one myself.

I have been looking for a gen 2 glock 19. I went to aimsurplus and they are sold out. Do you know how often they get them in?

munch520
03-28-12, 07:34
I liked my Glock 19. But I like my P30 better.

weary
03-28-12, 08:11
Should anyone trust a firearm, any firearm, "out of the box" to defend your life? To each his own, but I wouldn't bet my life on a firearm that I had not personally tested with at least 200 rnds of the SD ammunition I intended to use. Add 500+ rounds of training ammo without a malfunction and I might begin to feel confidence in the pistol. It doesn't matter what manufacturer's trademark is stamped on it. Even if I had the money to purchase a $3000+ custom 1911 I would do the same, at minimum. I know I'm repeating myself, but I think it is dangerous to assume any pistol, no matter who makes it, is reliable until you have verified that yourself. I have several Gen3 Glocks in 9mm and intend to purchase some Gen4s in the near future as backups/training guns, but I will be putting them through significant test firing before carrying them. I'm no expert though. Each person has to make their own decision.

sarge1967
03-28-12, 08:37
Should anyone trust a firearm, any firearm, "out of the box" to defend your life? To each his own, but I wouldn't bet my life on a firearm that I had not personally tested with at least 200 rnds of the SD ammunition I intended to use. Add 500+ rounds of training ammo without a malfunction and I might begin to feel confidence in the pistol. It doesn't matter what manufacturer's trademark is stamped on it. Even if I had the money to purchase a $3000+ custom 1911 I would do the same, at minimum. I know I'm repeating myself, but I think it is dangerous to assume any pistol, not matter who makes it, is reliable until you have verified that yourself. I have several Gen3 Glocks in 9mm and intend to purchase some Gen4s in the near future as backups/training guns, but I will be putting them through significant test firing before carrying them. I'm no expert though. Each person has to make their own decision.

Well said!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

MAUSER202
03-28-12, 08:52
Should anyone trust a firearm, any firearm, "out of the box" to defend your life? To each his own, but I wouldn't bet my life on a firearm that I had not personally tested with at least 200 rnds of the SD ammunition I intended to use. Add 500+ rounds of training ammo without a malfunction and I might begin to feel confidence in the pistol. It doesn't matter what manufacturer's trademark is stamped on it. Even if I had the money to purchase a $3000+ custom 1911 I would do the same, at minimum. I know I'm repeating myself, but I think it is dangerous to assume any pistol, not matter who makes it, is reliable until you have verified that yourself. I have several Gen3 Glocks in 9mm and intend to purchase some Gen4s in the near future as backups/training guns, but I will be putting them through significant test firing before carrying them. I'm no expert though. Each person has to make their own decision.

This is something that many overlook. I have heard salesmen numerous times at the range/gun store I shoot at tell new gun owners that the 20 rnd box of SD ammo they just bought is not for range use, only for carry. When I bought 4 50 rd boxes of Federal tactical HST to shoot in and vett my new PPQ they thought I was nuts and wasting money.

AS for the OP question the only weapons that I have high round count experience with is the Sig P239 and P229 , and the Walther PPQ. A vetted example of any of these is suitable for CCW . I would suggest going to gun show to get his/her hand on a lot of different weapons to find one that feels right in their hand, research it and find a range that they can rent an example to try it out. Then purchase and test/vett the pistol to ensure reliable operation for CCW.

Desert Fanatic
03-28-12, 20:44
I have S&W, Glock, Ruger and Springfield pistols. My favorites are my G19 and my XDm 9mm 3.8. Between the two, the XDm is more accurate and hold more rounds (19+1). The match grade barrel is no joke. I can hit targets accurately at 75 feet with the XDm where the G19 max's out at about 50-60. Along with the higher magazine capacity and dual safetys (don't roast me; I know a lot of people don't like the safety above the adjustable backstrap), the XDm is my favorite so far. I am a father of 6 with lots of grandkids so I don't have the money to spend a grand or two on a single pistol. For the money, the XDm gives you great accuracy, 20 rounds immediately available, a fitted holster for the pistol and two magazines, cleaning brush, lock and speed loader. All for under $700 depending on where you live, I'm sure. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Koenig041
04-22-12, 13:19
You guys seem to really love your Glocks. I just picked up an interesting 9mm. It's an Arcus 98DA made in Bulgaria. The company has been around for 40 plus years and makes rocket launchers and other things that go boom. It's a Hi power clone in DA SA configuration. I cleaned the weapon of all the packing grease and then lubed with Rem oil. I used Federal HP 115 gr. bullets. The rounds are about 20 years old. 400 rounds later, not a single FTF or FTE. I did not clean the pistol between round 1 and 400. This pistol is very accurate and comfortable in my hand. They also make a compact version designated the 98DAC. Great price point, $308.00 incl. shipping to my FFL.

SilverTongueDevil
04-22-12, 13:57
To the OP Long before I can just spout off X brand of gun.

I would ask the person what kind of handguns do you already own?
What kind of guns do you usually shoot?
Is this gun going to be shot or is it going to be a load and forget weapon?
What is the persons build, size of hands there clothing styles is the persons age strength eye sight issues?
Will this gun end up being a primary?

These are just good starting questions one must asked before they can just spout off X brand will work...

Take this or leave it sorry I could not just give a X brand choice...

04-22-12, 15:36
Between the two, the XDm is more accurate and hold more rounds (19+1). The match grade barrel is no joke. I can hit targets accurately at 75 feet with the XDm where the G19 max's out at about 50-60.

This is a fctn. of you, not the pistol. Plenty of us have shot pistols accurately at much longer distances. I have shot at 100yds. in a TS class along with several other members here. G19 max. accuracy of 20yds.? Ah, no. I'm not trying to get on you, just to let the OP know that this is not true for many.

Mjolnir
04-22-12, 16:55
Replaced ejector and extractors and mine have performed as I initially expected them to.

If my experiences are the norm I'd recommend them. Eventually, all Gen4 9mm pistols will have the new ejector leaving the owner to order a Lone Wolf unit, an Apex unit or hunt for a Glock CAST part.

BMcDonald7
04-22-12, 17:01
I would highly recommend the following.
P30 LEM
M&P9c

Both easily concealable but depending on your friends size and climate he may find the M&P9c's smaller size better. What ever gun he goes with just make sure he handles it before hand and tests how he likes the trigger.

Denali
04-22-12, 19:36
We have quite a few Glock 26's and Glock 17's bought as personal purchase by some of our officers. About 25 or so Gen 4s... Zero issues. I know that a lot of people report problems with Gen 4 guns, but we have yet to have any issue pop up with the new guns over the past year. I have yet to see a malfunction on one.

Thats been my experience too, with the exception of erratic ejection, all of my gen4's have been perfect, in fact all the issues related to the gen4's have in my estimation always been there with Glock pistols in general.

Pistolero
04-22-12, 20:40
Gun I love to shoot the most is my M&P 9 vtac that I did a home trigger job on, which now shoots superbly. I have a stable of glocks, and own a new production gen 3 17 from this year that so far has been failure free although I've only put about 400 rounds through it since I bought it around the new year, and I did have massive issues with a gen 4 17 I bought last year which caused me to stay away from anything gen 4. I've heard a lot of good things about the PPQ, and I'm actually picking up a gently used one next friday for a sweet $450.

Bogart
04-22-12, 20:45
Another vote here for the P30.