PDA

View Full Version : Over torqued AAC Brakeout caused poor accuracy?

mp43
03-26-12, 20:46
Sent a KAC URX rail, a used KAC bare upper, a new 12.5 in CHF DD barrel, and an AAC Brakeout to a known great gunsmith. On testing I was disappointed to get 8 inch ten round groups at 50yds. I then noticed the barrel was loose, and it was canted to the right as it exited the rail.
The smith said the barrel extension was too narrow and the old receiver was a bit worn, resulting in a nasty tolerance stack mismatch, which he admitted to missing before shipping it to me.

I returned it to the same smith , and he reassembled it with a new BCM receiver. After unpacking it the second time I noticed that it was still tilted to the right, less than before, but now the barrel was tight. However, though improved it was still inaccurate, printing 4 inch ten round groups at 50 yds. Function was otherwise perfect.

I put it away until recently, and decided to separate the components for other builds. I was surprised by how tight the AAC Brakeout was torqued. I purchased a Brownells receiver torque tool to avoid damaging the receiver, and after soaking overnight in water it still required a two foot cheater pipe on my wrench to break it free. I estimate this thing was tighter than a barrel nut, easily 60 foot pounds. Two other suppressor adapters I removed the same day came off with normal effort. These were installed by another gunsmith. To my surprise I did not see much Rocksett residue on the threads of the tight Brakeout.

My question thus is whether or not this over torqued adapter could have been the cause of the poor accuracy. I've heard that over torquing the barrel nut can degrade accuracy, but does that apply to the flash hider also?
Now that I have removed the adapter will this barrel shoot better, or should I chuck it? Should I cut it down to 11.5in?

Or perhaps it was an out of spec barrel extension.? (Accuracy seemed to improve after the same barrel was re-installed on the new BCM receiver).

Your thoughts?

a0cake
03-26-12, 21:27
Absolutely an over-torqued muzzle device can have a nasty effect on accuracy. Whether this effect is in play with your particular equipment is harder to say. Only one way to find out.

bp7178
03-26-12, 23:57
Surefire has a video on YouTube about how to mount their flash hider. They state in the video, what I was always told, never to go over 25 ft lbs.

It's also suppose to be done with a barrel vise, not a receiver clamp.

I have had Rocksett be a bitch to get off, but nothing requiring a 2' cheater bar. Have you tried shooting it w/o the adapter?

I assume 4" at 50 yards is below your typical level of accuracy?

mp43
03-27-12, 00:53
Thanks for the responses.

That video has some good tips, specially about lining up the shims and limiting the torque.
The Surefire dude seemed to use a lot of Rocksett though, more than the AAC/KAC-recommended "two drops".

When I realized the Brakeout was tighter than normal I bought this tool:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27452/Product/AR-15-M16-BARREL-EXTENSION-TORQUE-TOOL
It transfers the torque to the barrel extension, preventing the indexing pin from marring the receiver if I had used the standard receiver blocks. The worst that could happen is that the barrel can unscrew from the extension, but that is unlikely to happen in a milspec barrel.
I hope to test the Brakeout-less barrel this weekend; I have a hunch it may improve without the constricting device. if it doesn't improve I may have it cut an inch to 11.5.
My other Daniel Defense barrel is a middy 14.5, and with a red dot and Fiocchi 223 I do 2 inches/10rds/50yds if I try hard, but I rarely shoot for groups. With my Noveske Crusader 12.5in and Hornady 75gr TAP ammo I get the same groups, but at 100yds!!
Will keep u posted.

constructor
03-27-12, 01:14
Check the crown with high magnification for burrs.
You could square the front of the receiver with a tool from Brownells and bed the barrel extension to the receiver to make the connection more rigid but 4" groups make me think a bad crown.