PDA

View Full Version : Which mount & BUIS for Aimpoint T1?

Paul Kersey
03-26-12, 23:36
Hi guys

I am relatively new to the AR world and recently purchased a BCM 16" midlength rifle. Love it so far, but I have been using iron sights only and am ready to add a red dot and BUIS. I decided on the Aimpoint micro T1 and purchased the sight already, but I am totally confused by all the mount and BUIS combination choices. I am not sure if I want absolute cowitness, lower 1/3 cowitness, quick detach, flip up vs fixed rear sight, etc.

Any suggestions? I intend to use the rifle for carbine courses, self defense and home defense.

Thanks

kVon
03-27-12, 09:02
My ideal self-defense set up is to have fixed front and rear sights, with a 1/3 cowitness. For mounts, Daniel defense or Larue would be my suggestions.

Doc Safari
03-27-12, 09:12
I purchased the T-1 with the LRP mount package because I didn't really know at the time what height I wanted the T-1, and that was a convenient way to start. I do believe there are better mounts, but the height was perfect and I bought the package on closeout from an online vendor for less than the price of just the T-1 elsewhere.

I use it with a folding GG&G rear sight. There are probably better rear sights, but I got that one for $40 used and I decided that was a good starting point to help me decide.

Six months or so have gone by and I have not replaced either the LRP mount or the GG&G BUIS. The flip-up BUIS is 1/3 co-witness with the T-1 on the LRP mount, and this seems about right since I would only use the BUIS in the event of an optic failure.

Later I may switch to a Daniel Defense mount for the T-1 and a different BUIS, but for now this works for me and both seem "adequately" durable.

ridgerunner70
03-27-12, 09:17
This was a pic that some one sent me to help with my decision

ridgerunner70
03-27-12, 09:24
Hi guys

I am relatively new to the AR world and recently purchased a BCM 16" midlength rifle. Love it so far, but I have been using iron sights only and am ready to add a red dot and BUIS. I decided on the Aimpoint micro T1 and purchased the sight already, but I am totally confused by all the mount and BUIS combination choices. I am not sure if I want absolute cowitness, lower 1/3 cowitness, quick detach, flip up vs fixed rear sight, etc.

Any suggestions? I intend to use the rifle for carbine courses, self defense and home defense.

Thanks

When I first got my AP T-1 and got it mounted, it was not the perfect little dot I was thinking it would be. I found out that the AP T-1 is designed to shoot with both eyes open and to focus on the target not the dot and it solved my problems and turned the dot into a perfect dot. Just letting you know this encase you have the same problem I did at first. I thought there was a problem with the scope at first but, it was operator error on me.

ra2bach
03-27-12, 11:40
fixed rear sight if 1/3 cowitness, folding if absolute...

BCmJUnKie
03-27-12, 11:47
This is a PREFERENCE question and youre gonna get every combination thats out there.

Scan the pic threads. But stuff and try it. If you dont like it....sell it.

Back ups are fairly cheap and you can sell them.

All my optics sit in LaRue mounts. Its just what I like.

I prefer lower 1/3 because its faster....to me.

There really is no benefit to absolute co-witness with the exception of low profile.

Try different configurations and find out what YOU like

matemike
03-27-12, 12:03
Look at American Defense mounts. They are less costly, but do the job just as well as DD or LaRue mounts.

Plus I like the single throw lever ADM has for ACOG's as opposed to two levers like the LaRue mounts. And supposedly they don't mar the finish as bad. Figured you'd care about that since this is a brand new gun.

I like 1/3 co-witness for my aimpoint, absolute for my EoTech. All just PREFERENCE.

And I feel since back up sights are just that; back up, I prefer that they fold down completely out of the way unless I am practicing with them or need them.
However, My 16" carbine does have the fixed front post sight, but I like it as it is the most robust and not in the way of my 1/3 co-witness aimpoint.

Lonestar.45
03-27-12, 14:25
I've got a lightweight 14.5 BCM upper. I prefer 1/3 co-witness and folding rear BUIS. I'm running a Magpul MBUIS, T-1 in a DD mount, and fixed FSB. I really like this setup. I tried it with my LaRue fixed BUIS at first and didn't like it so much, my preference is a folding BUIS. YMMV

TehLlama
03-28-12, 11:16
Lower 1/3, Fixed Front - rear at preference. The fixed front can be nice, and the caveman rear aperture of the Aimpoint can be used short term if it goes down, and flip-up rear as needed (though fixed rear runs fine too).

Tennesseevolz
03-31-12, 15:20
I had a t–1 on the lrp mount, but switched to a larue - I have a Kac 300 meter rear flip up and a Kac micro front flip up- these things are great, and have a very low profile-