PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Noveske N4 LO-PRO 14.5"

feedramp
03-27-12, 16:10
I was just finger-banging a Noveske and quite enjoyed it. 14.5" N4 w/ pinned Surefire FH. I believe it is the LO-PRO model, as it comes flat top with (relabeled Troy?) Noveske BUIS. It looked like... a black rifle.
Kidding.
It looked like this (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lcmlp-556&cat=137&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=).

The one I looked at comes with 90% of the stuff I'd want to 'do' to a Colt 6920 already done. The trigger was nicer, crisper than the 6920. The grip was more comfortable. The rail system was a good length and not too heavy (hefted a DD of roughly similar price and features to compare it with). With the flat top and BUIS included, I could slap an Aimpoint on it and call it a day. I like that.

However, it's nearly twice the price of a 6920. But I liked everything about it and if adding up the cost of parts for the 6920 to replicate it, and labor cost for any that are beyond my capacity to do, it's not so far apart. I believe it also comes with a hard case.

I guess I'm wondering if the $2000 investment up front is a reasonable price for that model, an 14.5" N4 LO-PRO w/ pinned Surefire, and if it's a wise way to go. The shop has a bunch of them in stock but didn't seem willing to budge much on price, but I was there for research more than negotiating.

Bedford Forrest
03-27-12, 16:55
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=506&pictureid=2620I ordered the 14.5" low pro upper online and bought my G2 lower from Grant with his LPK, Geissele trigger option and a Magpul STR. To me, I got the rifle I wanted with better parts and saved the cost of 2000 XM193's over buying it complete from Noveske.

J_Dub_503
03-27-12, 17:41
Noveske Ss a great company and I have no doubt that you'd be satisfied with the purchase. They are a local company to me so I may be a little bias even though I don't own one. :/

I do agree the price is a bit up there but there's no lack of quality. You could by the upper and stick it on a BCM Blem lower to save some money, that is if you don't mind mismatching brands. Either way it's a great rifle.

3 AE
03-27-12, 21:41
Resist the force,Luke! You know this will only lead you down the path of cool rifles but not enough ammo! Easily the $1000+ you'd save would get you at least 3000 rounds of quality xm193 ammo. Or 1500+ rounds that you could shoot up at a quality 2 day carbine course. Or take your significant other on a nice vacation. Or save it for a rainy day slush fund! Or get a certificate of deposit and build a nest egg. You get my drift? Be in balance with the force Luke Skywalker, I mean jay35!

Wake27
03-27-12, 21:55
Go big or go home.

killjoythedestroyer
03-27-12, 22:36
I don't know anyone who ever bought a Noveske and was disappointed. The barrels are almost a legend on their own. And their customer service is some of the best around.When people talk about the best ARs made, Noveske always comes up. They are pricey, but you get more than what you pay for!!!

Mike from Texas
03-27-12, 22:56
I have an 8" LoPro in 300 Blk on order right now. I contemplated the same thing as you, except I was going to order a Colt 6933 change the barrel to one of their 300 Blk barrels then add all of the accessories. When I added it all up it was $300+ cheaper to get the Noveske and I wouldn't have a bastardized rifle.

If you've got the cash, then I say do it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Javelin
03-27-12, 23:08
If you are even looking at a Noveske now then I would recommend you go ahead and get one.

If not you will just buy it later & that old Colt will sit in the gun safe collecting dust from then on. Why resist the temptation to treat yourself?

:D

feedramp
03-27-12, 23:17
You know, that type of outcome could definitely happen with me. :)

From experience with other hobbies (cars, computers), I can be bad about tinkering and ending up in the black hole of modding that ends up costing more than if I'd just stepped up to a better item to begin with.

I'd like to do it right the first time (as much as that's reasonably possible) with the AR platform.

3 AE
03-28-12, 00:40
You know, that type of outcome could definitely happen with me. :)

From experience with other hobbies (cars, computers), I can be bad about tinkering and ending up in the black hole of modding that ends up costing more than if I'd just stepped up to a better item to begin with.

I'd like to do it right the first time (as much as that's reasonably possible) with the AR platform.

Do you really,really,really think you would NOT tinker,modify, and get sucked up into the black hole of the Noveske Galaxy? Start setting aside @ $3500+ :D

feedramp
03-28-12, 01:14
Not cool, 3 AE, not cool.
:)

Anything in particular to be aware of with the N4 LO-PRO model? I don't plan on running a can, so need for the Switchblock variant.
I haven't found many complaints or identified known issues but I do find the search function here a bit challenging when it comes to providing useful results. =\

C-grunt
03-28-12, 01:17
Jay35, if its what you want then just buy it. I had a Noveske before and would have no qualms buying another one. They truly are great rifles.

NickB
03-28-12, 01:34
You'll probably never meet anyone more concerned about quality than John Noveske and his staff... I would get the Noveske with his new hand guard (if possible) and never look back. You're going to love it.

feedramp
03-28-12, 01:47
Thanks for the heads-up about the new rail. That looks amazing in principle. Wonder how hot it gets in hand.

usmc45
03-28-12, 21:08
Also, if you have to pin it please think twice. I have pin two barrels now and regret doing it. Get the 16". You can change muzzle breaks when you change your mind (and im sure you will) and if you ever decide to sell it your good to go. Just my 0.02. Happy shooting

feedramp
03-28-12, 22:59
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Aside from the lack of pinned muzzle device and a touch more weight, any other differences between a 16" Light Recce LO-PRO and a 14.5" Light Carbine LO-PRO?

M4Fundi
03-29-12, 01:04
Click on the Noveske Button at the top and read the specs list.

I do not believe there is any difference but the length of barrel as I do not believe you could tell the diff in weight without a scale.

Noveske rifles are all outstanding!

Unless you absolutely know what you are going to do with the rifle and which muzzle device you want I would listen to the sage advice given and get a 16" until you want to live forever with the pinned muzzle device.

feedramp
03-29-12, 01:15
Fair enough.

I did compare the two on the website and didn't notice any differences other than the length, so I wanted to make sure that was the only real difference.

Availability is another factor. A local shop has a bunch of the 14.5"s in stock, but no 16"s.

I see one 16" on GBroker and it even has the new NSR which is sexy, but price is a bit high (and rightly so given supply/demand). Plus not sure I'd buy something I haven't at least held first (speaking of the NSR in particular).

edit: And the NSR on it is a bit short at 11" for my taste and does not come with any attachment points, he's selling those separately. Boo.

M4Fundi
03-29-12, 01:24
If you are buying from shops just be aware that some of the N4 Lo-Pro Carbine's out there are actually "carbine length gas systems" and not mid length and all the rifles at shops may possibly be Gen 1 or Gen 2 lowers. None of these differences are better or worse just differences/preferences.

feedramp
03-29-12, 02:03
Good to know. The shop's are carbine-length gas system., but on 14.5" models, so that should be fine.

I believe they also have the Gen 2 lower due to the magwell flaring. Other than not mating with the Surefire 60/100 mags, any other differences to be aware of?

rob_s
03-29-12, 04:19
Noveske makes a GREAT rifle.

But I'll be the dissenting voice...

What is your background and experience with the AR FOW? What do you *think* you want to do with your new rifle?

The issue at hand is that while you think you know what you want, if you don't have a significant amount of trigger time behind a basic gun you really don't know what you need. And by buying the 14.5" pinned model you're not only potentially getting parts and pieces you don't need, or even like, you're getting stuck with them to boot.

The gun you linked to comes with Noveske's branded rail handguard with is comparatively heavy related to other handguards on the market, and the MUR is heavier, and possibly more than you need, than a standard forged upper.

If you simply MUST have a Noveske, I'd look at these models.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lrb-556&cat=138&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

or if you're just super-crazy about the whole 14.5" idea, this one
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=sc-moe&cat=137&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

If you wind up wanting a railed handguard on the Skinny later on you can chop the FSB and install a Centurion handguard of your choosing.

Barring that, I'll go back to my broken record
Colt 6920 or 6720
11 Pmags
2k rounds XM193
BFG VCAS Sling
Introductory training class

If you already have thousands of rounds through the AR FOW in a variety of configurations, and are proficient in it's use, and you have the knowledgebase to know that the combination of parts in the gun you linked to is what you need and are OK being locked in to some of those parts, you can do a lot worse than a Noveske.

feedramp
03-30-12, 21:37
Always good to hear the dissenting opinion as well. There are mags, a VCAS sling, and rounds already procured, so that stuff won't impact the decision.

I do want the railed setup. The only alternative that would interest me is their new NSR rail that's just hitting the streets, but I like to see new products get thoroughly reviewed before buying them, and I have a feeling with the attachment points sold separately it will cost more in the end than sticking with the LO-PRO and seeing how the NSR shakes out over time. If it's truly an amazing rail, I'd wager one could switch out the LO-PRO for an NSR down the road since the FSB is already within the LO-PRO rail... unless the NSR won't fit without removal of the muzzle device first for some reason?

I'm open to a 14.5" Afghan, but my understanding is that it's slightly heavier than the 14.5" LO-PRO Carbine, slightly more expensive, and other than the SS barrel it's essentially the same item. And since both Noveske barrels (CL and SS) are considered quite accurate for what they are, I'm not sure why I'd want to go with the Afghan. Perhaps the SS barrel going to be longer lived than the CL? Any other upsides or downsides to the Afghan vs the LO-PRO Carbine of equal lengths?

The other factor is availability. There's nearly a dozen LO-PRO carbines in my area and Afghans are rare from what I've seen.

rob_s
03-31-12, 08:01
No, you can't just swap handguards around like that simply because the gas block is a low-profile. These are things you can either learn from others, or learn by making your own mistakes.

OK, so you're adamant you want a "rail setup". Why? What are you basing that on? and even if you're right, how do you know that any of the handguards Noveske offers are right for you?

You asked for advice, and a lot of what you got was "oh hell yeah! Noveskes are expensive!" in a nutshell. This place turns more TOS every day. I would suggest yes, go buy a Noveske but just get the version with the 16" barrel and the full-height FSB first and go get training and do some practical practicing. Then you'll know what you need not what the internet has you thinking you want.

Unless of course owning is the end-state for you, like the typical 99%. But if you want to be the 1%, the actual goal-oriented shooters, wipe the stars from your eyes, buy a basic gun, and learn to shoot the piss out of it. In case you lost the link, here's another one

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1400

JSGlock34
03-31-12, 09:08
I'll agree with Rob that the older N4 lo-pro with the SWS rail is heavy compared to its competitors. The pinned flash hider on the 14.5" models limits future options. The new Noveske rail looks promising, but I'd also consider the Noveske VTAC (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lr-vtac&cat=154&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=) model using the Troy TRX. Starting with a basic configuration with a set of standard or MOE handguards is also a good way to go and will preserve future options as you develop your preferences.

Unless you are planning on a precision application, I'd avoid the stainless barrels. Don't get me wrong - I owned a Noveske Recon for a while - and it was a tack driver. But the rifle was heavy and not as well suited for general purposes.