PDA

View Full Version : First post

cosmok
01-01-08, 12:12
Happy New Year everyone. I've been lurking here for a few months now and really like this site. A little about me, I'm a H60 Flight mechanic (crew chief for you Army types) in the Coast Guard, I've been in for 15 years, flying for for 8. I make knives as a hobby and am a "recovering" gun nut. (I don't have the funds to buy guns because I spend it all on steel and abrasive belts!);) . Looking forward to talking to people on the forums and thanks for having me.

Eric

wild_wild_wes
01-01-08, 14:19
Hi!

I saw this show the other day on the History Channel called Swords, Knives, and Axes, which covered the story of edged weapons from the stone age to now. They had this crazy swordmaker in West Virginia who actually mined his own ores, smelted the iron then then turned it into steel, then used that to make his swords. That is batshit insane if you ask me.

cosmok
01-01-08, 14:40
I've seen that, I would love to learn to forge but for right now I just do stock removal. I watched one on discovery last night talking about katanas and it showed them making the steel, pretty cool.

rayray
01-01-08, 16:52
Welcome Eric. And a Happy new year to you and everybody on the forums.:)

markm
01-02-08, 08:45
They had this crazy swordmaker in West Virginia who actually mined his own ores, smelted the iron then then turned it into steel, then used that to make his swords. That is batshit insane if you ask me.

Commercial ores are just not the same as doing it yourself you know! :D